Why didn't they make POTC more like Disneyland's?

Tom

Beta Return
The main reason was likely 'the space wasn't needed' and the attraction was rushed in.

The main difference in the DLR version is transporting you to where the show building is. You go through a much longer grotto sequence and extra drops because you are going down and under the NOS stuff to get to the showbuilding. The first 1/3rd of the riding is riding through empty rockwork as you circle and then drop again.

It's like the elevators and hallway before load in the HM. In DL, the elevator actually drops you down below the train tracks, and the hallway is to move under them. In MK, there is no such need, so the stretching rooms don't actually go down, and there is no need for the hallway.

there is an amazing website out there with a cute name that shows all of the POTC attraction in 3d maps and cutaways... but it's name is escaping me at the momment! When you see that, you will understand where all the greater length comes from.

You need to remember the website!

flynnibus

Premium Member
Rushed through due to guest demand (imagine that today!)

It went from planning to opening in 18 months.

Imagine that today too.

The fact I can't recall the name of the site with the 3D models of NOS and POTC - surely you know of it?

It's got some coy name.. like below the water line or something.. I can't click on it in my head and I spent like 20mins on a gazzillion google searches trying to find it.

It has a brown site theme.. wire mesh models of NOS and the POTC ride layout. Driving me nuts not having it bookmarked or found in easy search.

Tom

Beta Return
The fact I can't recall the name of the site with the 3D models of NOS and POTC - surely you know of it?

It's got some coy name.. like below the water line or something.. I can't click on it in my head and I spent like 20mins on a gazzillion google searches trying to find it.

It has a brown site theme.. wire mesh models of NOS and the POTC ride layout. Driving me nuts not having it bookmarked or found in easy search.

If @marni1971 doesn't know of it, it must have suffered a tragic fate. I'm very anxious to see it though, if it does indeed exist.

yipikyer

Do we drop the hill nowadays or there is still the watersceen with Barbarosa and we are restrein until we get to the show building.

We were so disapointed last time we were there three years ago.

cosmicray

I think I may have found the website, as other Disney sites from a while ago reference it a few times: However, it now redirects to blank page with Japanese (?) text. Used to be bend in the river . net .....Didn't post as URL because I can't tell if the site is safe anymore. It looks weird.

EDIT---- After translating, it's some kind of weird credit card website. Do NOT go to link.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think I may have found the website, as other Disney sites from a while ago reference it a few times: However, it now redirects to blank page with Japanese (?) text. Used to be bend in the river . net .....Didn't post as URL because I can't tell if the site is safe anymore. It looks weird.

EDIT---- After translating, it's some kind of weird credit card website. Do NOT go to link.

Yeah, that sounds about right.. bend in the river.. I knew it was something water related in the name. Maybe the webarchive can help us..

Goofyernmost

Do we drop the hill nowadays or there is still the watersceen with Barbarosa and we are restrein until we get to the show building.

We were so disapointed last time we were there three years ago.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you think that they traded the drop for the waterscreen? If so you are remembering incorrectly. The drop is still there, there is no way to remove it. Granted it isn't much of a drop and is over most before you know you are going downgrade. If I am misreading your post, I apologize.

kap91

No joke if they would still do this there would be no Avatar Land and no FP+

If everyone on these boards that's complained about avatar and fp+ complained to city hall or contacted WDW like you would have to have done in the 70's you'd probably have better responsiveness too. Ranting on an uber-Dan online forum is not really public outcry - especially when most of the feedback the company received directly is positive.

graphite1326

OK for some reason I remember Walt talking about building PotC on TV (telling my age now). It must of been the one in DL (really telling my age now). For some reason I remember him telling the audience that when the ride was coming to an end the boat would go back up a set of falls (drop). Am I remembering this correctly?

janoimagine

OK for some reason I remember Walt talking about building PotC on TV (telling my age now). It must of been the one in DL (really telling my age now). For some reason I remember him telling the audience that when the ride was coming to an end the boat would go back up a set of falls (drop). Am I remembering this correctly?
Yes, your memory is good, it was a wonderful world of Disney special called Disneyland: From Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow (Circa 1968).

ImagineerDude

I think I'm one of the few to prefer the WDW version of Pirates. I don't like the bayou scenes and the WDW version has more of a nostalgia factor for me.
I agree. I felt myself actually getting antsy on DL's because of how long it is. I do love PotC though. We did the Keys to the Kingdom tour about 3 weeks ago and our tour guide said people came to Florida expecting PotC, so Disney responded and built it in the limited space the had. The drop is for the railroad tracks and to get in the show building which you can clearly see when you go backstage. The show building is HUGE! They really did use up the limited space they had and pretty well IMO.

yipikyer

Last time we were there in 2010, my impression of the drop was that we were restrain from dropping fast. When we did POTC in 2013 a DL, the 2 drops were there and we could feel that we were dropping!!

Maybe i was wrong, but we'll clrear this matter end of may to check out 7DMT.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you think that they traded the drop for the waterscreen? If so you are remembering incorrectly. The drop is still there, there is no way to remove it. Granted it isn't much of a drop and is over most before you know you are going downgrade. If I am misreading your post, I apologize.

Goofyernmost

Last time we were there in 2010, my impression of the drop was that we were restrain from dropping fast. When we did POTC in 2013 a DL, the 2 drops were there and we could feel that we were dropping!!

Maybe i was wrong, but we'll clrear this matter end of may to check out 7DMT.
I'm not going to say your wrong about the speed of the drop, but, I, honestly, did not notice any difference over the years. I could be wrong!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, your memory is good, it was a wonderful world of Disney special called Disneyland: From Pirates of the Caribbean to the World of Tomorrow (Circa 1968).

Huh, Walt died in December 1966, so how did he host this?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
so Disney responded and built it in the limited space the had. The drop is for the railroad tracks and to get in the show building which you can
Not quite. It was limited time, not space.

The drop is to get from entrance level to show level which was built lower. The railroad here is actually on an embankment. DL has a railroad / basement drop and they felt they should replicate a drop in Orlando.

okcthunder

Original Poster
Not quite. It was limited time, not space.

The drop is to get from entrance level to show level which was built lower. The railroad here is actually on an embankment. DL has a railroad / basement drop and they felt they should replicate a drop in Orlando.
It should be a requirement for all boat rides to have a drop!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom