Why Can't They Clean Rides Better?

Patrick_Ears

I try not to think about that...haha. The things you can see are what bother us more, I think.

I will be at Tokyo Disney soon and I'll give a report back on what I see there. I know it's supposed to be cleaner and have better management.

I went back in 2011 and they had a few attractions in MK that had some cups and paper napkins in the seats. Not touching that <<< lol

But yes let us know how that goes. Hope you have a awesome time!!

sweetpee_1993

Remember when you were little and went in a public restroom your mom would say, "Don't touch anything!" Is it bad that this is how it felt to me when I rode on the monorail last September? I could hear Mom's stern warning, "Don't touch anything!" And we were the absolute first guests of the day. We stood waiting for the monorail platform cast to unlock the doors for us.

Disney Shib

Alot of the attractions are ran through at night by cast members once the attraction is closed. (at least thats how it was on IASM & Peter Pan's Flight during my Disney College Program). It all depends on the cast member as someone mentioned above. How thorough of a check is done really depends on them. Most garbage is picked up and discarded by the same cast members operating the attractions. As for cleaning up spit, spills and any other bodily discharge that's what custodial is for. They are also responsibily for area's outside of the attractions. As I said this was how it was at MK back in 2007. Things may have changed since then. I was there this past January and didn't really notice anything worth mentioning but then again I wasn't really looking for it. Caught up in the magic I guess lol.

PhilharMagician

Most attractions do not get the needed downtime to deal with the required deep cleaning and maintenance. The current mode of business is to push more people through existing attractions as the parks attendance increases rather than increase the amount of attractions so they have capacity to take attractions off line to clean and repair. Unfortunately FP+ is another way of maximizing even more what already exists rather than adding more to the current shortage of attractions. Some attractions go many years between even short term closures.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I went back in 2011 and they had a few attractions in MK that had some cups and paper napkins in the seats. Not touching that <<< lol

But yes let us know how that goes. Hope you have a awesome time!!
Thank you! I will report back. Probably just going to do Disney Sea because of time constraints and that we were at DisneyWorld twice this year...It will be a new experience.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
A lot of good discussion here.

I think it can also be said that's it's analogous to cleaning your house. It's all about keeping up with it. You let your house to into a pig pen, it's a lot harder to clean.

I think they have gotten to the point where it's too big of a job and much of it will have to be dealt with during a temporary closure. If they'd just keep it up daily, it would be so much easier. They need good management to "check" that cast members are properly doing their walkthroughs and taking care of cleaning up. I know it's hard to manage people making $9/hr, but it can be done and they do a marvelous job of that in a lot of other areas cast members are paid almost nothing.

I know I could make a difference on Space Mountain. Just give me a week between 12am and 7am.

ParentsOf4

agree with you on better management on keeping the rides cleaner and maintained...

but i have to also ask the same question on why can't people not spit, throw trash, etc. on the rides?
It's the Broken Windows Theory, the idea that when something is not properly maintained, it encourages petty vandalism and other bad behavior.

Although the theory dates back to the 1980s, it's a concept Walt Disney well understood when he opened Disneyland in 1955.

Quoting Walt:

"When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was the point, mine wouldn't be."

Quoting from Walt Disney, An American Original:

Disneyland's Town Square "would be a place with flower and balloons, costumes and a brass band. Handsomely wrought surreys, a fire wagon and a house-drawn trolley would take people down Main Street and to the rest of the realms. The vehicles would not have enough capacity to make a profit but they contributed to the entire experience. Walt insisted on fine furnishings for the restaurants even though they would be serving reasonably priced meals. He believed that if a family sat under a $50,000 chandelier and ate good food at a fair price, their experience would add to their enjoyment of the park."

Walt understood that if you treat the customer with respect, they'll treat your business with respect.

If you charge them outrageous prices and heard them around like cattle, they're going to be demanding and behave like cattle.

It's a concept completely lost by today's corporate Disney management.

Last edited:

alissafalco

Seriously, I've seen the same splashes, spit, and whatever other crap on the Space Mountain mission control class going up the track for many trips.

All they'd need to do is get some Windex and clean that up!!

It's not just Space Mountain...I've noticed many other attractions having quite a bit of dust, dirt, trash, and spit. Carousel of Progress is quite dusty.

Does anyone have insight into the management of ride integrity? Does someone walk the track nightly to ensure everything is at least clean and neat? I'm sure each attraction has a "manager" to report big problems, test things, and clean if necessary. Am I wrong? I know the working order of all effects and animatronics is a different issue, but couldn't they at least keep things completely clean? Low cost effort here...
I agree 100%!!
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/spider-webs-on-iasw-gross.876900/

ParkMan73

Walt understood that if you treat the customer with respect, they'll treat your business with respect.

If you charge them outrageous prices and heard them around like cattle, they're going to be demanding and behave like cattle.

It's funny timing, but there's another thread right now on guests swearing in the parks. For me, it was about guests not respecting other guests. I don't want to get too grand here, but I'm sure these are all tied up in the same general theme of respect.
- guests not respecting other guests.
- guests not respecting the parks.
- Disney not respecting guests.
- Disney not respecting itself.

Walt had a vision about respecting guests - perhaps he we a product of his time, perhaps he was unique. I'm sure his vision has been watered down over time. Would be great to see the corporation understand that and get some of that back.

rob0519

It's the Broken Windows Theory, the idea that when something is not properly maintained, it encourages petty vandalism and other bad behavior.

Although the theory dates back to the 1980s, it's a concept Walt Disney well understood when he opened Disneyland in 1955.

Quoting Walt:

"When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was the point, mine wouldn't be."

Quoting from Walt Disney, An American Original:

Disneyland's Town Square "would be a place with flower and balloons, costumes and a brass band. Handsomely wrought surreys, a fire wagon and a house-drawn trolley would take people down Main Street and to the rest of the realms. The vehicles would not have enough capacity to make a profit but they contributed to the entire experience. Walt insisted on fine furnishings for the restaurants even though they would be serving reasonably priced meals. He believed that if a family sat under a $50,000 chandelier and ate good food at a fair price, their experience would add to their enjoyment of the park."

MOOOOO!!! Seriously, though, Parentsof4 hit the nail on the head. It's a valid and proven theory. People will respond to the level in which they feel they are being treated. In this case, charge them what to many is considered an outrageous price (total of transportation, admission, food, merchandise, etc.), herd ever increasing volumes of them into a non expanding space (MK) under at times unpleasant conditions (Florida heat and humidity), and provide minimal to moderate maintenance (dirt, dust, litter), they will respond accordingly with poor to bad behavior, littering, petty vandalism, etc. Combine this with cost cutting and lack of custodial /janitorial supervision over several years and you wind up with the WDW of today.

Just to be clear, my family and I are part of the herd. I'm not just a nay sayer. I'm a fan. We go to WDW as often as our budget allows, at least 24 times since 1996. We're charter D23 members and have been to the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. We've been to DLR twice and are going on our first DCL cruise in April. My problem is I remember the quality they was once synonymous with the Disney name and watching that erode has not been easy to accept.

Tom Morrow

Don't defend this behavior. The rides are never, ever cleaned, only for refurbishments, and even then it's iffy. The only time the ride vehicles are ever cleaned is when someone pukes on them. The reason is, like everything at WDW, every single decision is about making management look better on paper. Why clean these world famous rides when only a small percentage of our guests care?

copcarguyp71

Don't defend this behavior. The rides are never, ever cleaned, only for refurbishments, and even then it's iffy. The only time the ride vehicles are ever cleaned is when someone pukes on them. The reason is, like everything at WDW, every single decision is about making management look better on paper. Why clean these world famous rides when only a small percentage of our guests care?

Tom...thank you! Also, are you currently a cast member or is that a past endeavor. Just curious, btw thanks again for your $0.02....they are worth at least $1.36 to me LOL!

rob0519

What behavior is being defended? Everyone has pretty much said the rides don't get cleaned because management has cut costs and supervisors and employees don't care.

Tom Morrow

What behavior is being defended? Everyone has pretty much said the rides don't get cleaned because management has cut costs and supervisors and employees don't care.
Eh, there's always a few people who respond with "give 'em a break, there isn't enough time or enough cast members" and such

Minnie1976

On our last trip I was shocked at the trash on the side of the cars on Little Mermaid. I have never seen that before on an attraction. I can't imagine people getting on an attraction and just throwing their trash on the side where they don't think people or the CM's will see it.

mousehockey37

This thread qualifies as an initiative to get Iger and other top brass on "Undercover Boss".

Put them on the janitorial staff for a few episodes and let'em clean up some of the stuff, both during the day (where say he cleans a restroom and 2 seconds later a tornado of pukers hits it) and at night, where he can go through and do the spit checks and such....

If they, the top brass, aren't out there, in the heat, amongst the people, seeing, hearing, interacting with the paying public and obtaining the knowledge of what the rides are like, they're no better than Clarke Griswold's boss Mr. Shirley on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation when he cuts the bonuses from looking at things on paper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom