Why are the Muppets coming???

disneyman23

i totally agree, seems like the best way to get a new generation of fans interested.

anyone else out there wish they still played muppet babies haha ya know on some old school cartoon channel ? man that would rock ! i can still sing over half of the theme song for that show--good times, good times

DDuckFan130

Originally posted by disneyman23
i totally agree, seems like the best way to get a new generation of fans interested.

anyone else out there wish they still played muppet babies haha ya know on some old school cartoon channel ? man that would rock ! i can still sing over half of the theme song for that show--good times, good times

I'm with you on that one. I loved that show when I was younger!! I'm going to download that theme now :rolleyes:

Woody13

Originally posted by johnvree
I've been reading a lot on these boards that the new Disney-Henson deal will pave the way for a Muppets land in Disney-MGM Studios. To be honest, I have to wonder, why? Are the Muppets still popular with kids? Mine are 4 and 5 and they barely know what the Muppets are. When one of the Muppet movies are on TV, they lose interstest pretty quickly and they have never asked me to get one of the movies.

Micky Mouse is over 75 years old!:lol: When was the last Micky cartoon made? Do your children know who Micky Mouse is? :confused:

disneyman23

yeah alright im glad im not the only one, hope you get the song downloaded DDuckFan130, once you do it will be in your head for days !

johnvree

Original Poster
Re: Re: Why are the Muppets coming???

Originally posted by Woody13
Micky Mouse is over 75 years old!:lol: When was the last Micky cartoon made? Do your children know who Micky Mouse is? :confused:

Fear not, they know the Mouse. It would be almost impossible for them not to. Even if they had never been to WDW, there is a Disney channel, showing classics and new shows all day. Plus, there are new films out every year. Even though they do not star Mickey and Donald, my kids associate them with WDW.

"Build a Muppet channel, and they will watch." :lol:

O'Mailey

If they really want to get the kid's attention then , in addition to tv and movies, they also have to get the Muppets into video games. Actually, they could probably make a really fun video game with those characters.

jeanylaser031

why are the muppets coming??? because a new ride the muppet is gonna do in the great movie ride maybe the name will be change to the great muppet ride. please tell me the whole muppets rides?:lol:

Woody13

Re: Re: Re: Why are the Muppets coming???

Originally posted by johnvree
"Build a Muppet channel, and they will watch." :lol:

We're on the same page. :animwink: Disney is a marketing giant and they can promote the muppets through broadcast radio and tv, cable, books, magazines, movies, internet and the newspapers. It all depends upon what uncle Mike wants to do with this franchise.

figmentmom

Gotta hand it to Disney, they're marketing geniuses (just look at all the money I spend at WDW every year!:lol: ) I just LOVE the Muppets, and I would love to see more of them in the parks. If Disney decides to feature the Muppets more, you can be sure that Disney will make certain that this younger generation of kids gets to know and love them, too.

SirGoofy

Originally posted by O'Mailey
If they really want to get the kid's attention then , in addition to tv and movies, they also have to get the Muppets into video games. Actually, they could probably make a really fun video game with those characters.

There are some Muppet video games. And they make you want to throw your contrloller against a wall after ten minutes of gameplay. Yup, they're that bad.

Senderella

As much as I *love* the Muppets... grew up watching the movies... woke up and would watch the Muppet Show & the Bozo show in my parents' bed.... collecting the Muppets glasses from McD's.... the works! I've even still got my Fozzie & Kermithe (what I used to call him & still do... :lol: leave me alone!! :p ) stuffed dolls.

I honestly think Star Wars would do better. Its still got a ton of momentum. Lucas & the powers that be keep fans literally wrapped around their fingers. They've got it down. Every few years (now) they've had a new bit of story released. (speaking from watching my husband & his friend). Not to mention a lot of video games & all. With as popular as Star Wars Days seems to be, they've got a sure thing IMO. If they did it... I could literally see my husband & our kids literally PULLING mom towards the Star Wars area and never wanting to leave. Lots of options there. Cantina style restaurant. Good food/drinks given Star Wars-esque names. *Lots* of merchandise. More Star Wars rides & things to do. Take the Jedi training sort of thing they have for kids during SWD and SOMEHOW work it into something for people of all ages. Maybe a sort of interactive thing like Mission Space??? The possibilities for a Star Wars dedicated area are ENDLESS. (lol I feel the same way about Harry Potter but that thread was 2-3 weeks ago!)

PLTram

Let me be the voice of dissent here and make the presumably unpopular vote against both the Muppets and Star Wars. I grew up with the Muppets too, but back in the 60s when the Muppets were a little bit darker and a bit more edgy - and ultimately funnier than factory produced shows ("Hee Haw" with puppets IMO) that most of you are fondly remembering. My kids have no idea who Kermit and Miss Piggy are and each day more and more youngsters are embracing new heros like Sponge Bob, et. al. and growing farther and farther away from the Muppets.

The Star Wars franchise has obviously fallen on hard times judging from the box office numbers (adjusted for inflation - see
Box Office Mojo ("Star Wars" #2, "Attack of the Clones" #76)), and it'll take a miracle for Lucas to restore the Star Wars name to its original glory.

In my opinion both ideas are past their prime and it would seem to be wiser for Disney to select a more enduring classic or embrace something a bit more current - Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings for example - to devote their energies toward.

PLTram

There have been rumors on the News and Rumors board about Harry Potter...Definitely No to LOTR, but I said for example.....perhaps I should have used any of the Disney/Pixar films as a better example....

judyfromkansas

johnvree said:
I've been reading a lot on these boards that the new Disney-Henson deal will pave the way for a Muppets land in Disney-MGM Studios. To be honest, I have to wonder, why? Are the Muppets still popular with kids? Mine are 4 and 5 and they barely know what the Muppets are. When one of the Muppet movies are on TV, they lose interstest pretty quickly and they have never asked me to get one of the movies.

Your kids are pretty typical. Kids today - at least those over the age of 5 - aren't impressed with Muppets. Not after seeing "Finding Nemo" and other cool CGI movies that have 3-D characters that look really real, that can move far more and emote far more than any Muppet.

IMO, Eisner's obsession with the muppets is just more evidence that he's out of touch with what people want - especially what people want from Disney. Trust me - it's not hand puppets! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom