Why are so many adults are obsessed with WDW?

Goofyernmost

I'll give you my take on that. I never set foot in WDW until I was 35 years old. I had heard a lot about it and decided I wanted to bring my children as well as myself to see it.* Things I heard from adults was how great, advanced and creative it was. I found it was great that my wife and I could go with the kids on rides, even ones that were primarily designed for kids. I was lucky that I went in with an open mind and a major need to feel like a kid again. I was impressed with everything, even the corniest of the attractions. It was something that I had never seen before. The technology was way ahead of where I was from and it just seemed like the things they did were impossible.

I caught the fever as I was driving onto World Drive and never lost it. Because of repeated visits it has lost a whole lot of it's newness to me, but, not it's luster. I have been going there year after year solo since 2002 until 2016. The very end of 2015 I took a month long trip to Europe and decided that I had better cool my heals for a few years and slow down the outflow of money set aside for my retirement. I now have a few physical problems that I am trying to work through and if I can, I have every intent to start up at least semi-annually.
To clear it up, I used to be glued to the TV watching the original Mickey Mouse Club and spent many a half hour running around Magic Kingdom with my first crush in the name of Annette Funicello.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

It's a good question, @mdcpr.

To answer, I'll set aside the nostalgia that I've visited WDW a few dozen times over the last 46 years, and that I now go with my adult children, and get to share it with them from their new perspective.

It's really about the combination of engineering and creativity that has gone into the place to give us the feeling that there's something special there, and that it's all geared to make us feel happy and entertained. My background is engineering, but it's always been with a bent toward the creative (3D graphics, Photoshop and other image processing techniques, etc) so I prefer to straddle the gap between technology and inspiration. WDW is like a huge playground where it all comes together and exists in reality... not in a book or on a screen, but something you can walk around in, smell, see, taste, and touch.

I am not as obsessed as I once was. It has changed and so have I. Still, they do manage to still do impressive things, so I go back... not often, but I go back to experience what new tricks they've pulled out to entertain and inspire us.

DisneyGigi

Most of us grew up on gathering around the TV on Sunday nights watching the Wonderful World of Disney with uncle Walt. It remains to be seen if our own children developed the same connection with the brand without that shared experience.
That was it for me, I never made it to a park until I was 25, and I took my son at 3, He loves it, he is 24 with a family of his own now. He still loves it. As do I!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I'm not an American, my first WDW trip was with my grandma as my 15th birthday present. For my family, to be able to send me on an international trip, was quite an ivestment back then.

Couldn't return for 12 more years! Disney means so much to me, it's like a symbol of how far we've come. We never take our visits for granted.

When we go through those WDW arches, we feel like we are in the USA where anything is possible.
We joke about only having to decide about what fun thing to do next or what goody to eat.
I don't know how to explain this to an American who might take this for granted:
I feel free.

Animaniac93-98

Let's not forget WDW was designed and built by adults who wanted to enjoy things with other's their age as much as with their children.

Boating, fishing, golf, supper clubs, lounges, horseback riding, hiking, camping, steam trains and eating prime rib in a king's castle are all fun "adult" things that were part of that initial and popular WDW experience.

mdcpr

Original Poster
I'm not an American, my first WDW trip was with my grandma as my 15th birthday present. For my family, to be able to send me on an international trip, was quite an ivestment back then.

Couldn't return for 12 more years! Disney means so much to me, it's like a symbol of how far we've come. We never take our visits for granted.

When we go through those WDW arches, we feel like we are in the USA where anything is possible.
We joke about only having to decide about what fun thing to do next or what goody to eat.
I don't know how to explain this to an American who might take this for granted:
I feel free.
I get it. I was not born in the US.

mdcpr

Original Poster
It's a good question, @mdcpr.

To answer, I'll set aside the nostalgia that I've visited WDW a few dozen times over the last 46 years, and that I now go with my adult children, and get to share it with them from their new perspective.

It's really about the combination of engineering and creativity that has gone into the place to give us the feeling that there's something special there, and that it's all geared to make us feel happy and entertained. My background is engineering, but it's always been with a bent toward the creative (3D graphics, Photoshop and other image processing techniques, etc) so I prefer to straddle the gap between technology and inspiration. WDW is like a huge playground where it all comes together and exists in reality... not in a book or on a screen, but something you can walk around in, smell, see, taste, and touch.

I am not as obsessed as I once was. It has changed and so have I. Still, they do manage to still do impressive things, so I go back... not often, but I go back to experience what new tricks they've pulled out to entertain and inspire us.
Your answer is the one that really helped me understand this more. Thank you.

mj2v

I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

Would live some views on this.

It’s an escape from reality. Endorphins get released and it’s all good.

Communicora

Premium Member
My dad decided to take us on a family vacation to Orlando instead of buying a Macintosh computer. I will never forget that first monorail ride through the Contemporary or my dad marveling at the animatronics on Pirates! And EPCOT! What a marvel! We all fell in love with the place and returned two years later. I was fifteen on that second trip and my parents let my sister and I run around on our own for part of a day at EPCOT. We had so much fun exploring the countries and riding Horizons more than enough times to see all of the endings.

I remained a Disney fan, but didn't think about returning to WDW. I was too busy traveling to places like France, the UK and Japan. Then my mom got sick with early onset Alzheimer's. I remember one particularly painful birthday lunch where it became clear what she was dealing with. I was at home later that day and my need for escapism drew me in to a WDW special on television. It made me nostalgic for those old family trips and I got to googling. I learned Horizons was gone and that there was a strange magic wand on top of Spaceship Earth. Thanks to this site and others, I was sucked in. Two years or so later, my sister and I went down for our first trip back as adults. It was magical and healing and I have been "obsessed" ever since.

Last edited:

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
For us we go so much because we started going when our kids were young and made some amazing memories. Kids are full grown and we still go as adults. We have traveled the world together but we KNOW Disney World and how to make it fun for us. As adults, we eat what we want when we want and the same is for rides. It Is less stressful now so I feel like we get real enjoyments out of it. Going for the 11th time for Thanksgiving this year and my kids are flying from CA and NJ to meet us there while we drive.

donaldtoo

I’ve known Disney since as far back as I can remember. I too remember watchin’ “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” and “The Wonderful World of Disney” every Sunday night...it was a great way to finish a weekend before headin’ back to the school grind on Monday mornin’...!!!!! :hilarious:;):)
In recent years, I’ve also watched many YouTube videos of the original “Walt Disney’s Disneyland”, especially the episodes “Man and the Moon” and “Man in Space”. I also remember seein’ movies as a family like “101 Dalmatians”, “That Darn Cat”, “Never a Dull Moment”, “The Love Bug”, etc., in either original or re-release at the drive-in when myself and my 3 younger sibs were kiddos.
My first visit to Disneyland was in 1968 at age 6, and I was smitten. There have been 4 subsequent visits with the last being in 2010. Disney kinda’ fell off my radar in my late teens and early twenties. First trip to WDW was in 1988 at the suggestion of my now 30+ year DWifey for our honeymoon...!!!!! :happy:
But, I still was not quite smitten again...until our first WDW family trip with our 3 kiddos in July of 2001. We have been 7 subsequent times, with the last visit being in Feb. of 2016 for the Princess 5K.
We took our kiddos to see all the latest Disney movies from the early 1990’s to mid 2000’s.
I worked at our local Disney Store for over 4 years, from 2009-2013, with 1+ year being a lead manger. I have 5 character model sheet photostats used by Disney animators from back in the 1930’s and 1940’s, and one Donald Duck partial animation drawing. I have a bunch of product (purchased with my CM discount) from the now-closed Disney Store. I have pins, Disney field guides, books on Disney animation, Imagineering, Walt Disney biographies, etc. I have a Mickey figurine, a book about the original EPCOT Center, and a 50th anniversary Donald Duck book in my office at the architectural firm I work for.
All this just to say, although I (and we) are still huge Disney fans, ultimately, we’re just not that smitten by WDW itself, these days.
But, that could change back again in the future, depending on how Parks and Resorts evolves or devolves.
We discovered cruising in Dec. of 2017 (not Disney, wayyyyy too much $$$$$), and took a 2nd one in July of 2018, and loved them both...!!!!! :happy:
We now have a 9-month+-old granddaughter and wanted to do a 1-year birthday trip for her (and us, of course ;)) to WDW. DWifey wants to go back soon more than any of us, but, when she priced it out, even she said no way. Another cruise in October it is...!!!!! :happy:
To be perfectly clear, I have ABSOLUTELY no problem with anybody’s obsession with WDW, but, we’ve just found other things to do...for now, as we will, assuredly, be back to WDW in the not-to-distant future...!!! ;):)
Oldest DD and her hubs have already been to Europe twice...England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Germany, Czech Republic...and have enjoyed it immensely...!!!!! :happy:
Also, oldest DD and SonIL did a Disney Cruise for part of their honeymoon in 2014, and said our less expensive Christmas cruise in Dec. of 2017 was just as much fun...!!! :)

Bottom line, we are Disney fans through and through, and always have been, no matter how often we choose to visit WDW...true Disney fandom presents itself in many different ways...after all, how many full-blown Disney fans are out there in the world right now that have NEVER visited a Disney Park, and will never get the chance to...?!

We’re just so happy for the times we’ve had, and memories we’ve made as a family, in every way possible, including, but not limited to, WDW...!!!!! :hilarious::D;):)

Rsj88

When I graduated college in 03, I wanted to take a trip to Disney World to celebrate. My husband and I had both been as children and all I remembered was how magical it had been. My husband thought it was just a place for kids and I was crazy...but we went anyway. Now it’s still the only place he wants to vacation! We saved our money and went a couple of times before we had kids and it was just really magical, fun, and even romantic. The rides and attractions aren’t just for kids they are fun for everyone. I mean if you don’t like riding rides there are lots of other fun things to do there but I can see how you wouldn’t get as much out of it. As others have said part of it’s escaping the real world once you are in the bubble. We don’t look at the news, worry about money, cleaning, or food. All the adulting is taken care of. We went to a resort for our honeymoon that was all inclusive and it was nice but we both wish we had done Disney instead. So it’s not just the all inclusive part because you can do that other places too. There’s something else to it for us. Its so hard to explain and not everyone that goes gets it. For us it’s just magical. I really think it comes down to nostalgia, capturing that feeling of being a kid again, and finding that little bit of magic you lost when you grew up. It’s like the feeling I would get on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa. We have a rule that when we go, we have to wear ears! It remind us not to take things so seriously (I mean it’s really hard to fight with someone wearing a goofy hat!). It’s like we turn into kids again and really play! Now that we are older and have kids and we find a way to go every year. Yes, I agree with lots of people on this board. The prices are absolutely ridiculous and I’m saddened to see the value and some of the things that make Disney so special slowly disappear. (I complain because I care and love Disney!) However, we adjust our budget every year and find ways to cut costs because there is no where in this world that makes me feel like I do when I’m at Disney with my family. I hope that it is as special for our kids as it for us because we are making so many magical memories! I hope that makes sense 😆.

NickMaio

Disney is winning yes
Universal is buffing themselves up but the only ones that have given them that has been Harry Potter as they now are looking for their next big thing (SNW) but they will never beat Disney unless Disney really has a loose shoe.
Dont forget they have the world-wide rights to Nintendo.
That is a HUGE market fanbase spanning many generations.

mdcpr

Original Poster
For us we go so much because we started going when our kids were young and made some amazing memories. Kids are full grown and we still go as adults. We have traveled the world together but we KNOW Disney World and how to make it fun for us. As adults, we eat what we want when we want and the same is for rides. It Is less stressful now so I feel like we get real enjoyments out of it. Going for the 11th time for Thanksgiving this year and my kids are flying from CA and NJ to meet us there while we drive.
I'm taking the family for the first time during Thanksgiving. We're staying at WL. Any tips you can share to survive the season would be appreciated. :)

mdcpr

Original Poster
When I graduated college in 03, I wanted to take a trip to Disney World to celebrate. My husband and I had both been as children and all I remembered was how magical it had been. My husband thought it was just a place for kids and I was crazy...but we went anyway. Now it’s still the only place he wants to vacation! We saved our money and went a couple of times before we had kids and it was just really magical, fun, and even romantic. The rides and attractions aren’t just for kids they are fun for everyone. I mean if you don’t like riding rides there are lots of other fun things to do there but I can see how you wouldn’t get as much out of it. As others have said part of it’s escaping the real world once you are in the bubble. We don’t look at the news, worry about money, cleaning, or food. All the adulting is taken care of. We went to a resort for our honeymoon that was all inclusive and it was nice but we both wish we had done Disney instead. So it’s not just the all inclusive part because you can do that other places too. There’s something else to it for us. Its so hard to explain and not everyone that goes gets it. For us it’s just magical. I really think it comes down to nostalgia, capturing that feeling of being a kid again, and finding that little bit of magic you lost when you grew up. It’s like the feeling I would get on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa. We have a rule that when we go, we have to wear ears! It remind us not to take things so seriously (I mean it’s really hard to fight with someone wearing a goofy hat!). It’s like we turn into kids again and really play! Now that we are older and have kids and we find a way to go every year. Yes, I agree with lots of people on this board. The prices are absolutely ridiculous and I’m saddened to see the value and some of the things that make Disney so special slowly disappear. (I complain because I care and love Disney!) However, we adjust our budget every year and find ways to cut costs because there is no where in this world that makes me feel like I do when I’m at Disney with my family. I hope that it is as special for our kids as it for us because we are making so many magical memories! I hope that makes sense 😆.
This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Walt Disney1955

I know I might get flamed, so here's my disclaimer: No, I'm not a troll. No, I don't have any preconceived views on this. Yes, I'm just honestly curious.

This board is amazing. I've learned more about planning the first WDW family trip than I ever thought possible. I even know the acronyms! But I am curious about the fascination with all things Disney from adults. If it wasn't for my kids, I know I wouldn't be going, and I did go to WDW 4 times from the ages 5-15. So, what draws people to it? It is definitely not a value vacation, so is it pure fandom, escapism?

It is a logical question, but definitely a logical answer to it. I would say that Walt's vision to ensure adults and kids could enjoy the park was an astronomical success. It worked like a charm right from the get go. 64 years after Disneyland it still works. It can be explained in the same way that we still love the game of baseball and the things associated with it. I was at another game in Fenway Park in Boston. I am not even a Red Sox fan but I found myself just wanting to soak in the fun of that park. I was touching the bricks, I got as close to the Green Monster as I could and I even tried to touch the foul pole that Carlton Fisk hit his famous home run off of in the 1975 World Series. Why? Part of it is nostalgia and being part of history. Another part is that I am a huge sports fan and a history buff. Fenway Park, I guess alongside of Wrigley Field is the "Disneyland" of the baseball experience. You can't beat it.

I guess that means Disneyland/WDW is still the best experience of amusement parks. I don't think you can ever outgrow it. Do we ever stop thinking a carnival or a fair is fun? I think your body doesn't allow you to enjoy it like you may have once but you never stop liking it. I think that's what makes WDW what it is. There is something for everyone and the attention to detail and the overall experience or customer service is still second to none. I don't think you can ever outgrow that.

John park hopper

Born in 1949 I grew up on Disney watching the original Mickey Mouse Club, every Sunday night the Wonderful World of Disney was on hosted by Walt it was a big deal for my brother and me we could not miss it. I remember watching all the Disney movies and Mickey cartoons. When WDW opened (posted many times) in 1971 I got out of the service in May of 72 and went (only park was MK). Went many times before getting married and when we had our boys took them. When EPCOT opened it was amazing the technology for its time. Yea I like WDW. It's still a great place here comes the but ---gotten too crowded and pricy.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I'm another one who became "Disneyfied" in my adult life...married at 29, was never on a plane until we went on our honeymoon at Disney in 1993. Liked it then, thought is was great but didn't really get obsessed until our next trip (the first with our kids) in 2003. To see their faces the first time they saw Cinderella castle (wish we had a photo) sold it for me! Considering how things are in the country and on the news, it's a place to escape all that. You only check the news if you want to and the rest of your stay you're watching Stacey or listening to music loops. The only thing you really need to see from the outside world is the weather report for the day/week. For this 54+ y.o. guy and his family of 4, It's our/my happy place! We're not cruise fans and live at the Jersey shore, so beaches are no big deal. Our oldest DD was in the DCP and loved it, so give me a week (or more) to be submersed in Uncle Walt and the mouse, so I can work on my OCD...obsessive, compulsive Disney!

Nottamus

bottom line...we all vacation where the heart is.

If your thing is laying on a beach for a week, than that's your thing. If its at a resort bar hopping all week...thats your thing.

I don't believe something makes anything an adult vacation over a kid vacation.....its all about escaping 'regular life' right?

The wife and i didn't start going to WDW until 2014...and we just both reconnected there. So much, that we even bought into DVC to go twice a year. I enjoy it through her eyes, and she, mine.

Some think we are strange as well, because we go to WDW, and rarely visit MK...we really like AKL, and AK, HS, Epcot the best.

wombat

Why do so many adults are obsessed with WDW This does not make sense

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom