Why are hotels sold out/super expensive weekend of March 6, 2020???

nataly

Original Poster
I'm trying to plan a trip for the first weekend of March to go to Disney/Orlando, and almost all the hotels are either sold out or ridiculously expensive for that weekend. I know that Mickeys Runaway Railway opens on March 5th, but I don't see why that would cause so many hotels to be fully booked.

And yes, I'm aware the Flower and Garden Festival also begins that week, but I've looked at rates/availability for the following two weeks and those weekends aren't fully booked are at normal rates.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its really just a combo of a number of things from F&G, to MMRR, to some schools having spring break, to the fact that its a weekend...
However I was easily able to find value resorts available so there certainly is availability since values go first.

Last edited:

nataly

Original Poster
Well that's the start of Flower and Garden...
Its also start of spring break for some...
And as you said Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway opens on the 4th...
The 6th is also a Friday which means higher room rates and less likely to have discounts.
Its not just one thing but a combo.
However I was easily able to find value resorts available so there certainly is availability since values go first.

I totally get that spring break begins during that time, and so does the F&GF, but those events are going on throughout the rest of the month, so that wouldn't account for why that one weekend is Sold Out with most hotel chains. I even checked the Marriott website and almost all the hotels are Sold Out for that weekend only. All the other weekends in March are available and are at the normal rates, not inflated rates. I was just wondering if there was some type of major event going on that weekend specifically since the rest of the month has more normal availability.

And yes, I do know that the value hotels are available, but I am not going to spend $200+ for a value hotel. Those are inflated prices. I am Florida local and I have traveled to Orlando/Disney frequently for the past 30 years of my life, so I am familiar with what is a good/normal rate, and what are peak/inflated rates.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
And yes, I do know that the value hotels are available, but I am not going to spend $200+ for a value hotel. Those are inflated prices. I am Florida local and I have traveled to Orlando/Disney frequently for the past 30 years of my life, so I am familiar with what is a good/normal rate, and what are peak/inflated rates.

Not much advice or explanation can be given to someone that already knows everything and just won't pay the price required.
We can't wave a magic wand and lower the price for you.

nataly

Original Poster
Not much advice or explanation can be given to someone that already knows everything and just won't pay the price required.
We can't wave a magic wand and lower the price for you.

I really don't appreciate the rudeness. I was stating the facts that I knew, and the question I was asking- which was why were prices inflated/sold out- if there was a specific event (Such as a conference, or convention). There is no need to be hostile towards someone asking a simple question.

If you have nothing nice to say- than don't say anything at all.

Parker in NYC

I think MMRR has a lot to do with it. People are underestimating how popular it's going to be. We had originally planned a trip the weekend of the 6th but canceled due to RoTR's continuing issues. Too much of a clusterfudge!

mousedroid

I really don't appreciate the rudeness. I was stating the facts that I knew, and the question I was asking- which was why were prices inflated/sold out- if there was a specific event (Such as a conference, or convention). There is no need to be hostile towards someone asking a simple question.

If you have nothing nice to say- than don't say anything at all.
Honestly nataly, your previous post seemed kind of rude as well. You asked a question and when someone offered their thoughts and opinions, you kind of got snippy with the I-already-know-x-y-and-z, and I've-been-doing-this-for-years statements. Maybe you didn't intend your response to read like that, but it did.

DisAl

Last March we were there the first week of F&G. The crowd level at Epcot was almost "wall to wall" in the entire park.

DisneyJoe

I'm trying to plan a trip for the first weekend of March to go to Disney/Orlando, and almost all the hotels are either sold out or ridiculously expensive for that weekend. I know that Mickeys Runaway Railway opens on March 5th, but I don't see why that would cause so many hotels to be fully booked.

And yes, I'm aware the Flower and Garden Festival also begins that week, but I've looked at rates/availability for the following two weeks and those weekends aren't fully booked are at normal rates.
Press, media, travel agency owners and their agents, bloggers, vloggers/Youtubers and many more want to be there and say that they are the first for the new attraction as well as Flower and Garden Festival.

I have a trip booked for that same week. Just one theory. I booked my trip last October. At the beginning of October, Disney was offering discounts for the first 4 months of the year. Once the New Year started, Disney ended those promotions and is currently offering new discounts for those first 4 months. Because they have offered 2 rounds of discounts for the same period, it is possible that most of the good discounts are gone. Most of the standard view rooms go fast. The first week of March is also not a "value" season for Disney resorts. The value resorts are currently offering a discount of 10% off. That's not much of a discount.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't think there's any time of the year where you can find cheap Disney rooms just a few weeks ahead of time.

I've learned the hard way to book at least nine months ahead of time to grab a Value room.

As attendance keeps going up year after year for years, and as Disney aggressively smooth out peak v. non-peak times with surge/discount pricing; don't ever expect the resorts to not be fully booked at least a few weeks (or even a few months) ahead of time.

Just this last quarterly report had occupancy at 92%.

H20Babie

I’m staying at CSR Feb 29 to March 5, and the whole resort is sold out for all room categories including the tower. I was honestly wondering the same thing myself.

Dave B

I guess the real question is?

What is considered ridiculously expensive? I just went in and there is A LOT of availability, what is the price range you are looking for?

ninjaprincesst

i would say it's the combo of all those things at once MMRR opening, F&G, Cheer contest , Spring break and it is also the star of Disney Performing Arts where high school bands get to play before the FOF parade.

CSJORDAN

I started pricing out a last minute trip for this same weekend about 3 weeks ago and was surprised at the cost of the on-site hotels (was only considering value). I did find All Star Sports for $177 a night, plus tax, but even that was hard to swallow. We are usually in the "if I have to stay off-site camp, I would rather not go" crowd, but I found a $47/night, including tax, at the Clarion LBV (Sam's Club). Not posh by any means, but I just could not justify paying those on-site prices.

Orangeanna

Just a thought, but this is also tax refund time. I've stayed on property with people using their refund to vacation. Locals head to Disney to staycation. It's not everything but it adds to the crowds. Florida spring break is in March usually not that early but much earlier than up north and not at Easter.

Eamethyst

March is a busy month for Orlando. Disney has events going on. Universal has Mardi Gras and concerts. Sporting events are going on. Fairs, etc. It also spring break for some schools. Also the Arnold Palmer Invitational is from March 4 to the 10. The least crowded times to visit Disney is during January and early February (the height of winter) and just after school starts in early September. It's slower. less crowded. Lines aren't very long.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom