Why Are EVC Guests Sent Through the Toy Story Midway Mania Queue?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Why are CMs sending EVC guests through the Toy Story Midway Mania queue?

I have, on multiple occasions, witnessed guests in EVCs struggle to maneuver their EVCs through the winding queue. These guests often needed to make 5-point turns, and frequently bumped into the queue railing and other guests. While many of these guests appeared to be obviously frustrated, others "gave up" and attempted to exit the queue.

I'm all for each guest waiting their fair queue wait time (rather than acquiring EVCs simply to skip lines), but Midway Mania's queue is simply not EVC friendly.

P07-03.JPG

I am, of course, assuming that each of the guests that I have seen struggling in the queue were able to adequately drive their vehicles. A big assumption in Florida, I know. :lookaroun

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
That is odd because there is an alternate queue on the far right when you enter for EVC, WC, and other alternate entrance guests. I would imagine that became confused at the split for the alternate entrance.

G00fyDad

That is odd because there is an alternate queue on the far right when you enter for EVC, WC, and other alternate entrance guests. I would imagine that became confused at the split for the alternate entrance.

Correct. We were taken through that entrance once to be placed directly on the ride while the CMs spoke with the couple behind us loudly cussing because they figured that they should have been in front of us. The woman was waiting for her husband to "catch up" to her at the entrance but she wasn't in line, or inside the building where the end of the line even was. But because we walked past her it ticked her off and she was making an *** out of herself. CMs came and got us and took us through that door right to the ride vehicles. It was awesome to see her face as she realized that not only were we in front of her, we were getting bumped to the head of the line. LOL It's not like we cut in front of her or even possibly "seemed" to cut in line. She was just a hateful woman. My son even stood there counting by $0.25 for each cuss word. LOL "Money for the swear jar! $0.25, $0.50, $0.75, etc..." Some people are dumber than a bag of hammers. :hammer:

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Why are CMs sending EVC guests through the Toy Story Midway Mania queue?

I have, on multiple occasions, witnessed guests in EVCs struggle to maneuver their EVCs through the winding queue. These guests often needed to make 5-point turns, and frequently bumped into the queue railing and other guests. While many of these guests appeared to be obviously frustrated, others "gave up" and attempted to exit the queue.

I'm all for each guest waiting their fair queue wait time (rather than acquiring EVCs simply to skip lines), but Midway Mania's queue is simply not EVC friendly.

P07-03.JPG

I am, of course, assuming that each of the guests that I have seen struggling in the queue were able to adequately drive their vehicles. A big assumption in Florida, I know. :lookaroun

Wait, have you actually seen the Candyland part of the queue used? I have never seen that part used at all.

The Mom

Premium Member
It appears that they go through the whole queue because they don't know any better? Perhaps the alternative entrance needs better signage? Or, people just aren't paying attention, or don't think to ask a CM?

bethymouse

We always ask CMs

Most of the time, the CMs will direct you to where you need to go. Haunted Mansion also has a "back entrance". I believe many other attractions do as well like POTC. The handicapped folks should be given priority!:shrug:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wait, have you actually seen the Candyland part of the queue used? I have never seen that part used at all.

Not sure what you mean.. that is simply the front half of the indoor queue. How can you even get to Mr Potato head side of the queue (and the rest of the first floor queue) if you didn't go through the candyland section?

The glasses pickup is there in the lincoln log hut which is the center of the room which pesudo divides the front and back halves of the room.

I've never had to not traverse that room.. and then up the stairs.. etc.

Or do you mean used for WC/ECV?

Either way I suppose the queue is built to be WC/ECV accessible given the huge areas at the end of each switchback.

Rob562

As the queue is laid out, unless they have a FastPass, wheelchair/ECV users go through the regular Standby queue. When they get to the merge point, wheelchair/ECV users are diverted around to the right to load into the handicap-accessible vehicles, which bypasses the stairs. The only thing that ECV/wheelchair people skip are the stairs. The Standby queue is designed so a competent driver can maneuver it.

If a wheelchair/ECV has a FastPass, they go through the FP line and then at the merge point are sent over to the side loading area.

-Rob

Timekeeper

Original Poster
As the queue is laid out, unless they have a FastPass, wheelchair/ECV users go through the regular Standby queue. When they get to the merge point, wheelchair/ECV users are diverted around to the right to load into the handicap-accessible vehicles, which bypasses the stairs. The only thing that ECV/wheelchair people skip are the stairs. The Standby queue is designed so a competent driver can maneuver it.

If a wheelchair/ECV has a FastPass, they go through the FP line and then at the merge point are sent over to the side loading area.

-Rob

Thank you for clarifying. That's exactly what I've been seeing happen there.

As for competency, I question whether the layout is as ECV-friendly as it was intended to be. Most of the "drivers" that I've seen appeared to be the kind of people (for lack of a better term) that would be used to operating and ECV, and not the young adults that rent them to "race around the world" at EPCOT. So when I see so much struggling, I'm lead to conclude that the queue is not very ECV-friendly at all.

Maybe Disney accounted for the maneuverability of the Disney-issued-ECV's, and not other makes and models that guests might bring to the parks themselves...? :shrug: Different ECVs will obviously come in different shapes and sizes, with different turning radiuses, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd lean towards the competency of the operators... trying to use them as they would walk instead of as a wheeled vehicle that they really are.

Phonedave

Thank you for clarifying. That's exactly what I've been seeing happen there.

As for competency, I question whether the layout is as ECV-friendly as it was intended to be. Most of the "drivers" that I've seen appeared to be the kind of people (for lack of a better term) that would be used to operating and ECV, and not the young adults that rent them to "race around the world" at EPCOT. So when I see so much struggling, I'm lead to conclude that the queue is not very ECV-friendly at all.

Maybe Disney accounted for the maneuverability of the Disney-issued-ECV's, and not other makes and models that guests might bring to the parks themselves...? :shrug: Different ECVs will obviously come in different shapes and sizes, with different turning radiuses, etc.

I am going to guess - and it's only a guess, but like most other things with ADA compliance it would make sense.

1) ECV's - in order to be considered an ECV (and not a scotter, moped, etc) must meet certain requirements - minimum turning radius, minimum slope it can go up, minimum weight handling, etc.

2) In order to be ADA complaint, the queue must meet certain minimum requirments that accomidate the requirments for the ECV's.

That's not to say that the queue may be at the very edge of being compliant, but if it is ADA compliant, it should be able to handle a compliant ECV

-dave

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I am going to guess - and it's only a guess, but like most other things with ADA compliance it would make sense.

1) ECV's - in order to be considered an ECV (and not a scotter, moped, etc) must meet certain requirements - minimum turning radius, minimum slope it can go up, minimum weight handling, etc.

2) In order to be ADA complaint, the queue must meet certain minimum requirments that accomidate the requirments for the ECV's.

That's not to say that the queue may be at the very edge of being compliant, but if it is ADA compliant, it should be able to handle a compliant ECV

-dave

Sounds reasonable to me. But just because a device meets a requirement doesn't necessarily mean that it can't exceed those requirements with additional features. For example, a larger person will require a larger vehicle. So even if it meets the requirements of radius, slope, and weight handling, that doesn't mean that a person who otherwise meets ADA eligibility will be able to fit their ECV through the queue. (Unless, of course, this ADA scenario imposes maximum size criteria as well.)

Regardless, a point that I should have made in the OP is that the CMs seem to be waiving ECV guests into the standby queue without more carefully considering each guest on a case-by-case basis and whether their unique ECV (if not issued by Disney) might be difficult - if not impossible - to maneuverer through the queue.

It at least appears, from my perspective as a guest who does not require any special accommodations, that the CMs at the entrance just waive ECV guests into the standby queue without paying enough attention to each non-Disney ECV. Not only has this caused great frustration for ECV guests and their parties, but it also becomes quite noticeable to those in the vicinity and that (the appearance of ineffective accommodations for disabled guests) can't be good for Disney.

Don't get me wrong, Disney often goes above and beyond to accommodate as many disabled guests as possible - this is just something that I've been noticing during my last few visits.

Disneybird

Though it's not Midway Mania I have never understood why Disney hasn't figured out a better way to get wheelchairs, scooters, etc., to the lower floor of The Land. There is one small elevator in a compact area that gets very congested. I can't believe they can't come up with a better way.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Not sure what you mean.. that is simply the front half of the indoor queue. How can you even get to Mr Potato head side of the queue (and the rest of the first floor queue) if you didn't go through the candyland section?

The glasses pickup is there in the lincoln log hut which is the center of the room which pesudo divides the front and back halves of the room.

I've never had to not traverse that room.. and then up the stairs.. etc.

Or do you mean used for WC/ECV?

Either way I suppose the queue is built to be WC/ECV accessible given the huge areas at the end of each switchback.

I have never seen the part of the queue where you would follow the path of the simulated Candyland board open. That corner of the queue as been closed off every time I've been through. You go through the rest of the indoor queue, but not the Candyland board. My wife and I talk about it every time we go through standby.

rct247

Over at Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin at Magic Kingdom, they now require all ECVs to be parked outside and a red attractions wheelchair be used if needed.

I have a feeling that Toy Story Midway Mania may eventually go this route. After all, from my experience, most (not all) ECV drivers will say they "can't walk very far" and will want to take them inside anywhere when there are so many cases where even with a 30 minute wait, they can easy walk/stand in line, but they choose not to. This can be seen over at Buzz Lightyear where some guests will choose not to grab a push wheelchair because it is a "pain to push" when they are told they can grab one after parking their ECV. So effectively, they have had fewer issues with ECVs getting stuck or hard to manuever and they also cut down on the ammount of people needing the wheelchair assitance. In either case, a push wheelchair would meet the needs of those that need it and those that are just lazy anyways.

Cosmic Commando

I have never seen the part of the queue where you would follow the path of the simulated Candyland board open. That corner of the queue as been closed off every time I've been through. You go through the rest of the indoor queue, but not the Candyland board. My wife and I talk about it every time we go through standby.

100_7529.jpg

BUT this picture is from 2008. In recent years, I have not seen the whole indoor queue used even when the line reaches outside. I wonder if that part of the line has something that people were touching and dirtying/breaking too much? :shrug:

elisatonks

Over at Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin at Magic Kingdom, they now require all ECVs to be parked outside and a red attractions wheelchair be used if needed.

I have a feeling that Toy Story Midway Mania may eventually go this route. After all, from my experience, most (not all) ECV drivers will say they "can't walk very far" and will want to take them inside anywhere when there are so many cases where even with a 30 minute wait, they can easy walk/stand in line, but they choose not to. This can be seen over at Buzz Lightyear where some guests will choose not to grab a push wheelchair because it is a "pain to push" when they are told they can grab one after parking their ECV. So effectively, they have had fewer issues with ECVs getting stuck or hard to manuever and they also cut down on the ammount of people needing the wheelchair assitance. In either case, a push wheelchair would meet the needs of those that need it and those that are just lazy anyways.

they make you leave ECV outside at star tours as well, its only in very special circumstance that they are supposed to be let in one in as there is little store room for them inside.

Also if you use an ECV/ wheelchair it doesn't mean an automatic fastpass, many of the new attractions make you use the regular line. eg. haunted Mansion (since recent line refurb), Kali River Rapids, Toy Story Mania, Safari's, Everest. In others at least the first half is accessible like the great movie ride.

My husband is a wheelchair user and agrees that he should have to wait in line the same amount of time as someone able bodied, however many people feel that because they are disabled they entitled to immediate access rather than accessible access, and unfortuntly people cheat the system by pretending they are disabled at the older attractions as they see it as a free automatic fastpass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom