Why Aerosmith?

Jimmy Thick

Pretty sure someone else pointed out that Jaded was also a number 1 hit...

And sorry, but in 1999 the music industry as a whole was far more concerned with boybands and Britney Spears than Aerosmith. I love the band but most people realize their hayday was in the 70s and 80s. Were they still popular and profitable in the late 90s...yes. Biggest band in the world? Hardly. That's pure hyperbole.

What was that group with the Alicia Silverstone video's? I remember them being really popular.

Jimmy Thick- I guess nobody watched MTV?

captainkidd

Sadly, U2 was the biggest band in the world at the time. And for quite some time. As I said, they just wanted too much money.

Obvious bias here, but I always thought Bon Jovi would be the perfect replacement if they ever changed. Does anyone not know "Livin' on a Prayer". It's been called the #1 karaoke song of all time. They've got quite a few tracks that would work well on the ride. As for biggest band in the world, it's subjective, but statistically, going by record sales and tours, Bon Jovi is atop all the other bands mentioned.

WishIwasThere

I kick myself now for asking this question because it's turned into another 'Aerosmith sucks, pick something better' thread. Not to sound mean, but I didn't care what people's thoughts of Aerosmith were, I wanted to know what Disney's thoughts were and why Aerosmith was chosen.

You should have known it would come down to this...

I beleive their longevity in the business...the fact they had hits in the 70's, 80's, 90's and are still a draw on tour today played a part in it. Pick a band that the music would be relevant for many years.

As far as Bon Jovi...didn't the Hard Rock park have something themed to Bon Jovi...can't remember what it was w/o looking it up.

Don't mess with the bad boys from Boston people...:sohappy:

devoy1701

And sorry, but in 1999 the music industry as a whole was far more concerned with boybands and Britney Spears than Aerosmith. I love the band but most people realize their hayday was in the 70s and 80s. Were they still popular and profitable in the late 90s...yes. Biggest band in the world? Hardly. That's pure hyperbole.

Actually Jaded only got to #7 on the Billboard Chart....though there are so many different rating systems out there I'm never sure how they can know for sure!

I would also argue (and so would everyone else) that this band had 2 "haydays". While they were wildly popular in the 70s, they were actually much more succesful in the late 80s and throughout the 90s.

Also...according to Wikipedia:

Aerosmith is the best-selling American rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million albums worldwide, including 66.5 million albums in the United States alone.They also hold the record for the most gold and multi-platinum albums by an American group. The band has scored 21 Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, nine #1 Mainstream Rock hits, four Grammy Awards, and ten MTV Video Music Awards. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2001, and were included among both Rolling Stone's and VH1's lists of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

I'm still trying to find a list of best selling band by year but haven't found it yet. Though I don't think what has been stated here is too far off from the truth. While Britney and Boy Bands were big, they were popular among the teeny boopers. Aerosmith has always had a much more broad appeal, especially overseas.

captainkidd

According to Wikipedia:

Aerosmith is the best-selling American rock band of all time, having sold more than 150 million albums worldwide.

They're going to lose that distinction to Bon Jovi within the
next 3 years. They're at 130 million, and selling 5-10 million records per year. Aerosmith has been at 150 million for about 5 years now.

devoy1701

They're going to lose that distinction to Bon Jovi within the
next 3 years. They're at 130 million, and selling 5-10 million records per year. Aerosmith has been at 150 million for about 5 years now.

Well like I said...if AEROSMITH would get that flippin studio album out that they've been working on for 4 years now... :brick:

I'm so ready for some new Aerosmith tunes.

As for Bon Jovi...I just can't do it, I like some of their 80s stuff...Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and even Have a Nice Day...but I think they sound too commercial anymore.

SMRT-1

now you are going on and on just to be right which you are clearly NOT.

how old are you anyways? were you even born? have you ever been outside of north america? :lol:

SMRT-1

they were and still are one of the biggest bands in the world. this argument is just plain stupid. there is no "biggest" band in the world. there are many, and aerosmith is included in that.

captainkidd

As for Bon Jovi...I just can't do it, I like some of their 80s stuff...Slippery When Wet, New Jersey, and even Have a Nice Day...but I think they sound too commercial anymore.

They've always been commercial. But some of their songs would really fit the ride - Livin' On A Prayer, the second half of Wanted Dead or Alive, Bad Medicine, It's My Life.

Like I said - Personal bias. They're my favorite group, so I'd be all for it. Many wouldn't.

captainkidd

they were and still are one of the biggest bands in the world. this argument is just plain stupid. there is no "biggest" band in the world. there are many, and aerosmith is included in that.

Still are? Eh, I don't know. They haven't done squat in quite some time. I love them, and they're one of my favorite bands, but the only thing we've heard from them recently is their backstage fighting.

Krack

I would also argue (and so would everyone else) that this band had 2 "haydays". While they were wildly popular in the 70s, they were actually much more succesful in the late 80s and throughout the 90s.

If I had to pick a date, I'd say they reached the highest level of popularity sometime around 1989-90, when they were in that Wayne's World sketch on Saturday Night Live. They were just coming off Permanent Vacation and Pump, they were all over the radio, and MTV never stopped playing their videos.

Mickey is King

Aerosmith works great for us. Our kids like their music as well as us adults. A little Motley Crue would be cool though.

I totally think there is room somewhere in America for a Motley themed coaster.
But.....They are not quite Disney, not that Aerosmith is totally clean (listen to the lyrics). But The Crue is how shall we say - hardcore personalities that leave a path of destruction in their wake.

I do love Motley....they are true rock and rollers to the core.

Tigger1988

now you are going on and on just to be right which you are clearly NOT.

how old are you anyways? were you even born? have you ever been outside of north america? :lol:

Ah, insults, the true sign of someone who can't find something of substance to keep their side of the argument going. How about you quit stomping your feet and put some perspective on things.

In 1999 the Backstreet Boys had the biggest album of the year, it went 9x platinum in that one year. Britney Spears had the second biggest album at 8x platinum. The Armageddon soundtrack didn't even sell half of that when it was released in 1998. You were saying that because Aerosmith had a #1 song in 1998 and an album that went 2x platinum in 1997 that somehow meant they were the BIGGEST band in the world in 1999.

Again, you're speaking in hyperbole.

I'm still trying to find a list of best selling band by year but haven't found it yet. Though I don't think what has been stated here is too far off from the truth. While Britney and Boy Bands were big, they were popular among the teeny boopers. Aerosmith has always had a much more broad appeal, especially overseas.

Just Google best selling albums of 1999 and it brings you to an extensive Wikipedia list. As I mentioned above Boybands and Britney Spears had the biggest selling albums that year.

Still are? Eh, I don't know. They haven't done squat in quite some time. I love them, and they're one of my favorite bands, but the only thing we've heard from them recently is their backstage fighting.

The last 5+ years of Aerosmith can be summed up in Steven falling off stages, going to rehab and joining American Idol. But SMRT-1 will just insult you for not agreeing with his facts...oh I mean opinion.

captainkidd

I totally think there is room somewhere in America for a Motley themed coaster.
But.....They are not quite Disney, not that Aerosmith is totally clean (listen to the lyrics). But The Crue is how shall we say - hardcore personalities that leave a path of destruction in their wake.

I do love Motley....they are true rock and rollers to the core.

Is any part of Hell in America?:goodnevil

I love Motley. They sure aren't role models, but nobody rocks like they do.

Krack

They didn't pick the headliner of Rock & Rollercoaster ten minutes before they opened the ride. It can be safely assumed the decision to go with Aerosmith was made in 1997-1998 when Pink and I Don't Want to Miss a Thing were in heavy rotation.

Also the best choice as an Aerosmith replacement will always be ...

kiss.jpg

They are merchandise selling machines; it's Disney 101.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom