Why Aerosmith?

devoy1701

Ah, insults, the true sign of someone who can't find something of substance to keep their side of the argument going. How about you quit stomping your feet and put some perspective on things.

In 1999 the Backstreet Boys had the biggest album of the year, it went 9x platinum in that one year. Britney Spears had the second biggest album at 8x platinum. The Armageddon soundtrack didn't even sell half of that when it was released in 1998. You were saying that because Aerosmith had a #1 song in 1998 and an album that went 2x platinum in 1997 that somehow meant they were the BIGGEST band in the world in 1999.

Again, you're speaking in hyperbole.

Just Google best selling albums of 1999 and it brings you to an extensive Wikipedia list. As I mentioned above Boybands and Britney Spears had the biggest selling albums that year.

The last 5+ years of Aerosmith can be summed up in Steven falling off stages, going to rehab and joining American Idol. But SMRT-1 will just insult you for not agreeing with his facts...oh I mean opinion.

Album sales is not the deciding factor on the most successful band, that's why I did not quote that Wiki page. You have to account ticket sales, countries where they are touring, awards won, merchandise merchandise merchandise, royalties for whatever, sponserships, yadda yadda, and yes records sold, also news stories, photo ops, publicity stunts...all of that goes into what makes a group recognizable across the world. Actually if you look up the most successful groups of all time, or even the highest grossing music artists of 2010 or of the last 10 years, Album Sales only makes up about 1/4-1/3 of the revenue those groups have earned.

And how often Steven Tyler is in the news keeps the band relevant...even the rumors last year of the band splitting up, or now that he's on Idol. You keep mentioning the boy bands but where the hell are they anymore? The only one that can be mildly accounted for is Justin Timberlake. Everyone else had a 5 year career and are now has-beens.

captainkidd

kiss.jpg

They are merchandise selling machines; it's Disney 101.

They're sell-outs. So you're right - Perfect for Disney.

Tigger1988

Album sales is not the deciding factor on the most successful band, that's why I did not quote that Wiki page. You have to account ticket sales, countries where they are touring, awards won, merchandise merchandise merchandise, royalties for whatever, sponserships, yadda yadda, and yes records sold. Actually if you look up the most successful groups of all time, or even the highest grossing music artists of 2010 or of the last 10 years, Album Sales only makes up about 1/4-1/3 of the revenue those groups have earned.

And how often Steven Tyler is in the news keeps the band relevant...even the rumors last year of the band splitting up, or now that he's on Idol. You keep mentioning the boy bands but where the hell are they anymore? The only one that can be mildly accounted for is Justin Timberlake. Everyone else had a 5 year career and are now has-beens.

Considering we're talking exclusively about 1999 and who was popular then it really doesn't matter where they are now.

The criteria for Aerosmith being the biggest band in the world at the time, according to SMRT-1, was having a #1 song and an album go 2x platinum. I was putting some perspective on that. If that alone was justification for being called the biggest band in 1999, well there's several others who topped it.

I love Aerosmith but they were hardly the biggest act that year, is all.

danstadnik

I think at the end of this long and enjoyable discussion, there's a few things to point out.
-If its called "Rock n Roll" Roller Coaster, you have to get, you know, a... "Rock n Roll" band. In the late '90s, the actual biggest rock bands were Korn, Limp Bizkit, Marilyn Manson... ALL unsuitable for a Disney ride.
-You can't even consider n Sync and all that other stuff. It ain't rock!
-The ultimate band for this would've been the Beatles (Of course 1 was dead and the other 3 probably had no interest. But think of the theming! The queue could be in Strawberry Fields, You'd have a yellow submarine part. Being chased by screaming girls somehow. A Magical Mystery Tour if you will... I digress). It just seems like something that would be awesome but no one will ever agree on enough to let it happen.
-Then after going through a list of the bands that fall under the Beatles in terms of lasting appeal (Led Zep, the Stones, ACDC, Pink Floyd, etc) Aerosmith was the one where they don't offend TOO many people, are willing to do commercial stuff (I think they did a Gap ad around this same time) and the existing Disney connection (Armageddeon) didn't hurt.

All this being said, now that Aerosmith is essentially broken up, I think its about time to retheme. But not a Disney theme (Hannah Montana, etc). I would say that either ACDC or the Rolling Stones would be a better fit nowadays. Not sure if either would be interested, but those are my 2 blue sky/ real world choices.

Jimmy Thick

Aerosmith, unlike Britney and the flavor of the month boy bands, had appeal to women, men, children and grandparents. Basically, everyone Disney wants to cater to. The only other band that could pull that off at the time was Kiss.

Now if you take, for the sake of argument the entire decade of the 90's, considering Rock and Rollercoaster was prolly in development the entire time, name one band that had the same appeal to justify a ride after them, with the music catalog to match.

Aerosmith
Kiss

Thats about it.

Jimmy Thick- Don't even bring up Nirvana...

fngoofy

Armageddon (1998) generated a ton of buzz about the band ("I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" is their only #1 single to date) and it was released by Touchstone Pictures (part of the Walt Disney company) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Ding..ding..ding..ding..ding..ding..ding..ding..ding
We have a winner!

captainkidd

Aerosmith, unlike Britney and the flavor of the month boy bands, had appeal to women, men, children and grandparents. Basically, everyone Disney wants to cater to. The only other band that could pull that off at the time was Kiss.

Now if you take, for the sake of argument the entire decade of the 90's, considering Rock and Rollercoaster was prolly in development the entire time, name one band that had the same appeal to justify a ride after them, with the music catalog to match.

Aerosmith
Kiss

Thats about it.

As I said, Bon Jovi.

By 1998, Bon Jovi had sold 80 million records, had five #1 singles, fifteen top 40 singles. Since that time, they've sold another 50 million records, had another dozen top 40 singles.

Kiss on the other hand, has never had a #1 album, and only had two top 10 singles.

SMRT-1

Ah, insults, the true sign of someone who can't find something of substance to keep their side of the argument going. How about you quit stomping your feet and put some perspective on things.

In 1999 the Backstreet Boys had the biggest album of the year, it went 9x platinum in that one year. Britney Spears had the second biggest album at 8x platinum. The Armageddon soundtrack didn't even sell half of that when it was released in 1998. You were saying that because Aerosmith had a #1 song in 1998 and an album that went 2x platinum in 1997 that somehow meant they were the BIGGEST band in the world in 1999.

Again, you're speaking in hyperbole.

Just Google best selling albums of 1999 and it brings you to an extensive Wikipedia list. As I mentioned above Boybands and Britney Spears had the biggest selling albums that year.

The last 5+ years of Aerosmith can be summed up in Steven falling off stages, going to rehab and joining American Idol. But SMRT-1 will just insult you for not agreeing with his facts...oh I mean opinion.

hyperbole is an exaggeration. i am stating facts here. your stating it's hyperbole which is YOUR opinion. the facts state otherwise. you are correct boy bands were ruling at that time as well as spears. but to say Aerosmith was not immensely popular is BS.

Tigger1988

hyperbole is an exaggeration. i am stating facts here. your stating it's hyperbole which is YOUR opinion. the facts state otherwise. you are correct boy bands were ruling at that time as well as spears. but to say Aerosmith was not immensely popular is BS.

The phrase "biggest band in the world" is hyperbole, pure and simple.

Where did I EVER deny that Aerosmith was popular at the time? In fact I explicitly stated that they were on a page or two ago.

SMRT-1

The phrase "biggest band in the world" is hyperbole, pure and simple.

Where did I EVER deny that Aerosmith was popular at the time? In fact I explicitly stated that they were on a page or two ago.

cut the crap with your hyperBULL....lol

i said they were ONE of the biggest bands. END OF STORY!

Tigger1988

and I'm starting to think your sole purpose of being on this site is just to start arguments with others. Seems like a standard outcome on every thread you're part of.

Nope I'm here to talk about Disney World, but if you want to derail this thread even further, have at it.

I don't go around throwing insults or telling people to "cut the crap". If someone challenges my opinion, I respond. Last I checked that was one the main points of posting on a message board...to discuss.

Matt and Kelly

As much as I enjoy Aerosmith...

Tom Petty Rock N' Roller Coaster !

Learning to Fly, Free Fallin', Running Down A Dream, You Wreck me, Won't Back Down, American Girl ... those woulda been killer songs to listen to while on a coaster.

although I know Universals rip ride rock it has running down a dream by Tom Petty , but you need to use a secret code 121 to use it. (Maybe If I don't chicken out I'll try this next month)

Tom Petty is a great suggestion! I have no problem at all with the Aerosmith branding, but Tom Petty would have been great as well.

Jimmy Thick

As I said, Bon Jovi.

By 1998, Bon Jovi had sold 80 million records, had five #1 singles, fifteen top 40 singles. Since that time, they've sold another 50 million records, had another dozen top 40 singles.

Kiss on the other hand, has never had a #1 album, and only had two top 10 singles.

Bon Jovi, from my perspective, does not have an appeal to children, like Aerosmith or Kiss. Aerosmith was a much, much bigger band than Bon Jovi was in the 90's.

Kiss, on the other hand, has such a broad appeal I do find it shocking they don't have a ride after them. Kiss may have not had many hit singles, but if you put a picture of them next to pictures of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Bon Jovi and asked 10 people under the age of 25 who they were without giving any clues, 10 out of 10 would get Kiss right, where you could not say that about the other 3.

I would be so bold as to say Aerosmith would get 10 out of 10 as well.

Jimmy Thick- Face it, Disney made the right decision.

ddbowdoin

IMHO they shouldn't have picked a band... and if they did they should needed to have picked a band that had LONG term appeal. I know it's hindsight but 10 years after that ride premiered the band is dead in the water.

U2... would have been a solid choice. They keep banging out serious albums, and Bono has that whole peacekeeper image in the world.

captainkidd

Bon Jovi, from my perspective, does not have an appeal to children, like Aerosmith or Kiss. Aerosmith was a much, much bigger band than Bon Jovi was in the 90's.

Kiss, on the other hand, has such a broad appeal I do find it shocking they don't have a ride after them. Kiss may have not had many hit singles, but if you put a picture of them next to pictures of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Bon Jovi and asked 10 people under the age of 25 who they were without giving any clues, 10 out of 10 would get Kiss right, where you could not say that about the other 3.

I would be so bold as to say Aerosmith would get 10 out of 10 as well.

Jimmy Thick- Face it, Disney made the right decision.

I disagree 100%. Bon Jovi has a much broader fan base (including children) than Kiss or Aerosmith. In the 90's, Aerosmith released 2 albums that sold 27 million copies worldwide. Bon Jovi released 3 that sold 41 million. In the 2000's, Aerosmith released 1 studio album which sold 6 million copies worldwide. Bon Jovi released 5 studios albums that sold 30 million copies worldwide.

For the record, Bon Jovi has the #1 album right now on 6 continents. If that's not Universal appeal, I don't know what is.

ddbowdoin

I disagree 100%. Bon Jovi has a much broader fan base (including children) than Kiss or Aerosmith.

For the record, Bon Jovi has the #1 album right now on 6 continents. If that's not Universal appeal, I don't know what is.

they should have avoided the mess in general and just made a generic ride, picking a band from the get go was a mistake since music trends change so often... it doesnt have enough of a long term, universal appeal?

correct?

few bands have lasted the test of time across generations... The Beatles may be the ONLY one.

Tigger1988

I disagree 100%. Bon Jovi has a much broader fan base (including children) than Kiss or Aerosmith. In the 90's, Aerosmith released 2 albums that sold 27 million copies worldwide. Bon Jovi released 3 that sold 41 million.

Agreed. Also, Bon Jovi has managed to stay relevant without becoming tabloid fodder (with the exception of Richie's transgressions). It's never been about reality shows or slapping your name on as many products as humanly possible for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom