Pre-Trip Who needs Christmas presents, let's go to Disney

Hellllllo Humans!!!

Some of you might know me from my previous half written trip reports. I get so much joy out of reading all of your lovely folks reports that I am going to try my best to complete this pre-trip and trip report.

Let's dive right in shall we?

My name is Alisa, a certified Disney nut. My parents first took me to the world when I was 2 and in doing so created the disney monster I am today.

Here I am at 2 years old in Magic Kingdom back where the whole obsession started
2d26qgy.jpg

I wasn't the only Disney crazed person though my mom,dad, and sister were just as obsessed as I was and the 25 trips we have under our belt as a family proves it. Every year on our last day I would cry and make my dad promise to take me back. It started to become a joke as I got older but we always returned the next year. Here is a photo of ME, MOM, DAD, AND SISTER JILLIAN way back in 2012 at the opening of New Fantasyland.
2je1jk7.jpg
[/IMG]
2je1jk7.jpg
[/IMG]
fc1deh.jpg

Fast Forward 2 years and I start dating my very own prince charming who had NEVER been to Disney. Well me and my wonderful family couldn't let that continue so my parents took us all on an incredible week long vacation in the summer of 2015
2wnwz1d.jpg

Since then me and my prince charming have returned twice on solo trips (he has totally caught the Disney Bug as well). Most recently a week long trip this past October for my Birthday which started off with the most magical moment of my life at midnight on my birthday

1233b83.jpg

I mean is this not right out of a fairytale? When I think about it I don't even remember being there. It was the most perfect proposal with Walt and Mickey watching over us. The night started at California Grill with a table right next to the window overlooking my favorite place in the entire world sitting across from my favorite person in the entire world. He had a bottle of wine waiting for me at the table and surprised me with a white chocolate cinderella slipper for desert. After Dinner we walked over to MK to watch Wishes and then hang out for EMH. He was so persistent about going back to the front of the park around midnight and thats when he did it. Dropped down to one knee and had a photographer on hand to capture the whole moment. After that 2 guys came out of the Plaza and said Mickey wanted to congratulate us and had 3 sundaes and told us to pick our favorite.

I could go on and on about that night but I will digress. We returned home from that trip and have pretty much talked nonstop about Disney since.

Fast forward to Father's Day and we were BBQ at my parents house and I casually said do you want to go to Disney and forgo presents this year. It was a quick YES from my mom, dad, and sister.

Two seconds later my fiance called his parents and asked if they would like to go to Disney World in December. We were fully expecting them to laugh at us since neither of his parents ever go on vacation but they also agreed. This will be their first time to Disney and on a plane together after 25 years of marriage. I am sooooo excited to show them Disney. His parents are AHHHHmazing and when both families get together we ALWAYS have a blast so this should be a good one.

Which bring me to the details:

When: December 7-14 ***Me and Prince Charming are leaving our return date open ended at the moment**** more on that later

Where: Port Orleans French Quarter

What: 7 Day Park Hoppers with DDP

I will follow up with our plans in the next post but will leave you with a photo of the traveling party from our engagement party this past February.
29qd18z.jpg

SSH

I ordered the DIABLO BURGER (YUM). I love all things spicy and this didn't disappoint and really anything with chorizo is amazing in my book Plus I had the most perfect table outside right next to the Springs. The lights were twinkling and I never wanted to leave.

Love that spot! :inlove: We sat there during our Christmas trip last year - such a beautiful, tranquil break from the crowds.

Congrats and welcome to FL. We're on the east side of the state...so many awesome things to do here on water and land - beaches, key west and of course, WDW pretty much anytime you get the itch! :D

SSH

I was able to get the same time fastpasses for everything except FoP on the 9th. I woke up at 6:45 and at 7:00 on the nose all of the FP+ were already gone for FoP on the 9th errrrrr. I am going to keep trying like a crazy person to get them one with us but if all else fails all 7 of us have a FP for it on the 13th.

You did well...we're going around the same time as you for a few days, and I was right on the computer at 7am, yet couldn't get FOP for either day we needed it. Only day avail was one that wouldn't work for us. It's just the two of us - me and DH, so thought it might be easier to get them. Will just keep trying, I guess. :(

dclfan

Original Poster
Sounds like a great trip- your family sounds so fun! I look forward to reading about it :)

Thank you for reading. They are literally the best EVER. I really lucked out. Not only is my own family my best friends but his parents I love as well. I can't wait to go and report back to you. I'm sure I will have some amazing stories.

dclfan

Original Poster
Love that spot! :inlove: We sat there during our Christmas trip last year - such a beautiful, tranquil break from the crowds.

Congrats and welcome to FL. We're on the east side of the state...so many awesome things to do here on water and land - beaches, key west and of course, WDW pretty much anytime you get the itch! :D

Isn't that part of the Springs the best? I could have sat there all night. I could have sworn they were playing Pre- illuminations music too. I know It probably wasn't but it still had me all excited.

Thank you so much. We're both Beyond excited about making the move. Even my parents are thinking about moving as well. They always planned to retire to Florida but after they saw the prices of homes in Florida compared to NYC they might be able to come down even sooner. Where on the east coast do you live? We checked out a few homes and communities there as well but the west coast seems to have our heart. We celebrated Valentines Day down there a few years ago and since then we were hooked on the entire area.

dclfan

Original Poster
I was able to get the same time fastpasses for everything except FoP on the 9th. I woke up at 6:45 and at 7:00 on the nose all of the FP+ were already gone for FoP on the 9th errrrrr. I am going to keep trying like a crazy person to get them one with us but if all else fails all 7 of us have a FP for it on the 13th.

You did well...we're going around the same time as you for a few days, and I was right on the computer at 7am, yet couldn't get FOP for either day we needed it. Only day avail was one that wouldn't work for us. It's just the two of us - me and DH, so thought it might be easier to get them. Will just keep trying, I guess. :(

What days are you going? Maybe we will run into each other..... We have to keep trying I know we can get it

SSH

Florida is actually like many mini-states in one, so you really can pick the culture/fit that's right for you.

In the southern part of the state:
East coast (Mia/Ft Laud/West Palm ) has the most diversity/variety re: population, cultures, housing choices, tons of activities, way more developed - less than 30 min drive to 2 of the biggest cruise ports in the world; really nice downtowns, amazing shopping and restaurants, every cuisine you can imagine, culture, art, theater, entertainment, nightlife, etc, etc, but also more traffic & congestion that goes w/that. Kinda like a warm/tropical version of the northeast. (Some refer to it as "the 5th borough". :hilarious:) That's where we are.

West Coast is gorgeous! Booming retirement area. Many unspoiled areas; not as developed/built up...but quieter, not as much variety of nightlife, shopping, other things compared to the east coast, in general, so it depends what's important to you. West coast of FL tends to draw more folks from the midwest. East coast of Fl tends to draw those from northeast plus many other countries worldwide. It's very global in feel on east side.

Northern part of state:
Totally different world - if you favor more of a traditional deep south feel, you'll like Northern Fla- closer to GA and AL in culture than South Fl, (I think). It definitely has its charms too. Central Fla has elements of both the north and south, depending upon where you go. There are many quieter spots throughout the state, beautiful beach areas, more retro small town feel.

I can PM you with some resources to explore if you're interested (Don't want to hijack your trip report thread!)

SSH

What days are you going? Maybe we will run into each other..... We have to keep trying I know we can get it

That would be fun! Still firming things up, but thinking maybe 10th to 14th. I'm going to keep trying for it...I hear people are having luck landing them a few days before their trip or even the night before. Fingers crossed!

dclfan

Original Poster
Florida is actually like many mini-states in one, so you really can pick the culture/fit that's right for you.

In the southern part of the state:
East coast (Mia/Ft Laud/West Palm ) has the most diversity/variety re: population, cultures, housing choices, tons of activities, way more developed - less than 30 min drive to 2 of the biggest cruise ports in the world; really nice downtowns, amazing shopping and restaurants, every cuisine you can imagine, culture, art, theater, entertainment, nightlife, etc, etc, but also more traffic & congestion that goes w/that. Kinda like a warm/tropical version of the northeast. (Some refer to it as "the 5th borough". :hilarious:) That's where we are.

West Coast is gorgeous! Booming retirement area. Many unspoiled areas; not as developed/built up...but quieter, not as much variety of nightlife, shopping, other things compared to the east coast, in general, so it depends what's important to you. West coast of FL tends to draw more folks from the midwest. East coast of Fl tends to draw those from northeast plus many other countries worldwide. It's very global in feel on east side.

Northern part of state:
Totally different world - if you favor more of a traditional deep south feel, you'll like Northern Fla- closer to GA and AL in culture than South Fl, (I think). It definitely has its charms too. Central Fla has elements of both the north and south, depending upon where you go. There are many quieter spots throughout the state, beautiful beach areas, more retro small town feel.

I can PM you with some resources to explore if you're interested (Don't want to hijack your trip report thread!)

That would be most helpful if you could PM me. I can also give you my email if that works better. Everything you said so far has been great and most helpful :) I grew up in NYC and lived there until I was about 24 when I decided it was enough.I'm trying to avoid congestion as much as possible. That's what I love about Florida. I like the idea of having Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale so close without actually having to live in the thick of it hahaha. I do like the quiet lazy vibe of the west coast. We like to Kayak, fish, ride our scooters so I feel like it was perfect for us.

dclfan

Original Poster
That would be fun! Still firming things up, but thinking maybe 10th to 14th. I'm going to keep trying for it...I hear people are having luck landing them a few days before their trip or even the night before. Fingers crossed!

Those dates sound perfect. The more WDWmagic people the better :inlove:. and my fingers are crossed for FP's

dclfan

Original Poster
Question time. Like I mentioned earlier we have plans to take in the DHS nightime festivities on December 8th. I have a Mama Melrose's ADR but the latest I can get was 3:50 and I feel like no one is going to want to eat dinner at that time. I was able to also get a 5:30 ADR AT Trattoria Al Forno. Figured that would give us enough time to walk back over for 8:00 Jingle Jam fireworks and Sunshine Season Greetings. How is the food at Trattoria Al Forno? I've only had breakfast here years ago before it was even Trattoria AL Forno. Anyone have any positive (or negative) experiences?

lostpro9het

Question time. Like I mentioned earlier we have plans to take in the DHS nightime festivities on December 8th. I have a Mama Melrose's ADR but the latest I can get was 3:50 and I feel like no one is going to want to eat dinner at that time. I was able to also get a 5:30 ADR AT Trattoria Al Forno. Figured that would give us enough time to walk back over for 8:00 Jingle Jam fireworks and Sunshine Season Greetings. How is the food at Trattoria Al Forno? I've only had breakfast here years ago before it was even Trattoria AL Forno. Anyone have any positive (or negative) experiences?
Our most recent experience with TaF compared to our first experience with TaF:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...istmas-trip-report.908525/page-6#post-7077463

IMO, if you a want Italian head to Il Mulino in the Swalphin.

dclfan

Original Poster
Our most recent experience with TaF compared to our first experience with TaF:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/completed-the-“let’s-see-if-this-dumb-thing-works”-treat-yo-self-christmas-trip-report.908525/page-6#post-7077463

IMO, if you a want Italian head to Il Mulino in the Swalphin.

Oh man, thats so disappointing. That 2nd risotto picture :depressed: . My parents still live in NYC and we go to Il Mulino at home. I know they are going to want to go someplace more "disney". lol but I agree with you that restaurant is spectacular.

dclfan

Original Poster
I just noticed the new Ale and Compass Restaurant is now on the my disney experience app. I'm thinking maybe I should add this to our list. I love new restaurants and it would give us a excuse to go to the Yacht Club. What do you think?

dclfan

Original Poster
How can the Disney Parks Blog make an Instagram post asking "which ears I will be wearing this fall" with the beautiful rose gold ears on full display but then not have them available anywhere for purchase. You are such a tease Disney Parks Blog. I literally check "shop disney" and "shop disney parks" app everyday like a loon.

djpoore94

I just noticed the new Ale and Compass Restaurant is now on the my disney experience app. I'm thinking maybe I should add this to our list. I love new restaurants and it would give us a excuse to go to the Yacht Club. What do you think?

I just checked out the menu today and added it to our list! We only have 5 nights on our May 2018 trip so I put it in as a breakfast option on our departure day! I really wish I could fit it in for dinner though so I may do some more moving around before our ADR window opens next month.

dclfan

Original Poster
I just checked out the menu today and added it to our list! We only have 5 nights on our May 2018 trip so I put it in as a breakfast option on our departure day! I really wish I could fit it in for dinner though so I may do some more moving around before our ADR window opens next month.

Doesn't the menu look fantastic. There are too many restaurants to try and not enough time. I'm with you at the moment we don't have a free night but I might try to move a few things around and squeeze it in. If we do end up going I'll be sure to let you know how it is so you can plan accordingly lol.

djpoore94

Doesn't the menu look fantastic. There are too many restaurants to try and not enough time. I'm with you at the moment we don't have a free night but I might try to move a few things around and squeeze it in. If we do end up going I'll be sure to let you know how it is so you can plan accordingly lol.

It really does, and just moments ago a read a bad review of one of the other places we were going to try, so I think I now have my dinner opening!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom