Who Knew Choking Each Other Would Earn Us Fastpasses? We were just kidding!

Hello there and welcome to my trip report.
wave.gif

I guess I'll start out with the introductions of the cast and crew.

My name is Lisa (a/k/aTinkerbell as my boss likes to call me) and I am a 44 year old paralegal, wife to John and mother to Hunter and Lacey (who didn't join us on this trip 'cause she's attending missionary college). My husband, John, also 44, owns and operates a cabinet shop which is good because I can always talk his boss into letting him off work to go to Disney.
laughing.gif
John acts all nonchalant about going to Disney but when somebody asks him a question, he immediately starts chattering away.

Since I am still uploading pictures and can't seem to find a picture of John and I from this year's trip, I guess I'll just use a picture from last year's trip.

100_2283.jpg

Hunter is our son and he turned 13 just 3 days before we arrived in Disney. We couldn't think of a better way to celebrate becoming a teenager than by partying hard with Mickey and the gang. Hunter is a multi-talented little dude. He can play the acoustic guitar, electric guitar, keyboard and viola. Magical illusions and cup stacking are his newest tricks and he's pretty darn good at both. When he's not playing an instrument or trying to trick you, he's playing football or singing in the honor choir. See....I told you he was multi-talented.

Also along for the ride this year was my Mama, Edna. She's 76 years old and dotes on John and Hunter like they were her little babies. Mama has been to Disney with us once at Thanksgiving, 2000. That was back in the day when we stayed offsite 'cause we didn't know any better.
sad20.gif
We were anxious to see how Mama would do with all the walking, heat, humidity, conveyor belts, etc.

Again, I don't have all of my pictures uploaded so I'll just use a picture of Hunter and Mama riding the clamshells into The Seas with Nemo and Friends. Not the best of pictures but a picture nevertheless:

SANY2430.jpg

We are a pretty silly fun loving family that always seems to attract.......hum.......let's just say,we always seem to have an "incident" happen during each of our trips. Over the years:

1) We got stuck on Test Track in the cold section and I almost tinkled myself;

2) My tooth (temporary crown) fell out while eating lunch at the Electric Umbrella and I had to super glue it in;

3) John got his toe broken after being run over in a drive-by scooter incident;

4) Hunter boogied with every character we ran into;

5) My wonderful, beautiful, loving family pedaled off on the surrey bike without me when my shoe hit the pedal and flew over my shoulder;

6) Lacey and Hunter jumped for joy in front of the Epcot ball;

7) We laughed so much during the trips that I caught myself saying "stop making me laugh or......" every 30 minutes.

And so forth and so on. We love spending time together and there's no better place than Walt Disney World to act silly and have a good time. Our goofiness paid off during the trip and that same goofiness inspired the title of this report.

This was our 15th trip to Disney in 13 years and our 5th stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort. We spent 9 1/2 glorious days at Walt Disney World and I could have stayed longer had my boss not insisted that I return to "the real world".

I have people ask me all the time why we go to Disney World year after year after year. I've tried to explain it to them but, unless you are a Disney fan like myself, you just can't understand. Remember those old Lay's potato chips commercials? You know, the ones that said something like "Lay's potato chips...so good you can't eat just one!" I liken Disney to a Lay's potato chip....."Walt Disney World is so fun you can't go just once!"

Now that the introductions have been made, I guess I'll get busy working on the next installment.

Oh....I hope that everybody feels free to post replies/comments 'cause I really like chatting.

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
Today was our Animal Kingdom day. I got up first and readied myself for the day. You may remember that Hunter started out sleeping in his Mamaw's room but changed over to our room after just a day or two. Why? 'Cause Mamaw wanted to get early and Hunter did not. He is a night owl just like his Daddy and could stay up all night long if I'd let him. Anyway, I woke everybody up, called over to Mama's room and told her I was headed down to the front desk to get our Spirit of Aloha luau tickets.

As I stepped outside, I could feel that it was going to be another sweltering day. I know that I took the camera with me and took pictures as I walked to the Custom House but I can't find them right now. When I do, I'll post them in a separate post. I was all sticky by the time I made it to the Custom House. I wasn't sweaty all over, just that light sheen and it was only 8:00 a.m.!

Once I made it to the Custom House, I hopped into the line for the concierge desk. The castmember immediately pulled up our luau ADRs and said he needed my card to swipe. He swiped it and OH NO! I just realized he had used two of my table service credits for Mama's tickets. He hadn't thought about it and I hadn't thought about it. He said it was no big deal, we could just use Mama's dining service credits to buy our meals. For some reason, he kept saying we would use 12 of Mama's credits. I kept saying no, it would be just 2 credits that she owed us. I had to actually get a piece of paper and make a little spreadsheet for him. It didn't really matter if he understood or not, because I understood what I had to do to get my credits back.

The castmember gave us our luau tickets and then I remembered that we were going to the Hoop Dee Doo too. But, I didn't want to do it right then because I'd have to use more of our credits for Mama's meal. That would be too confusing so I told the castmember that Mama and I would be back later to pick them up.

Tickets tucked away in my Vera Bradley purse and I was back on the path to our room in Jamaica. The walk is so pretty and I enjoyed a little time on my own despite the fact that it was already hot. When I got back to the room, the rest of my crew was ready. I took a minute to blot my face with a kleenex and make a potty stop.

We made sure that the door was locked and that everybody had their sunglasses, tickets, etc. And, we were off to the bus stop. Again, the bus gods were looking down upon us because we had barely sat down when the Animal Kingdom bus pulled up. I was always nervous about Mama having to stand on the bus. Every since she had her surgery, she gets a little off balance and I knew standing on a bus wasn't an option. We saw that this bus had many seats available so we hopped right now. Mama, again, was a pro at getting on the buses with no problem.

I remember that I timed our ride to the park but I don't remember how long it was. I do know that it wasn't long before we were pulling up to the bus stop at the Animal Kingdom. It had been 10 long years since Mama had been there and were were excited for her to see how it had grown....literally.

100_3401.jpg

100_3402.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was have our picture taken by a Photopass photographer.

Photo0763.jpg

Photo0770.jpg

The next destination I had in mind was, of course, the safari. I love the safari and it's a must do for us every time we visit. But, I also knew that would probably be everybody else's destination as well so I told John that I'd get us all Fastpasses and we'd explore Pangani Forest in the meantime.

Pictures I took on the way over:

100_3404.jpg

100_3405.jpg

100_3406.jpg

100_3407.jpg

100_3408.jpg

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
We met up with several tour groups during this trip and here's just one set of them coming from the safari:

100_3409.jpg

I got everybody's tickets and walked ahead to get the Fastpasses. I don't remember what the return time was but it wasn't too terribly long. We'd have plenty of time to explore the Pangangi Forest before returning. I met back up with Mama, John and Hunter and they were all looking at these strange things hanging from a tree:

100_3411.jpg

100_3410.jpg

We figured it must be some sort of fruit bearing tree but we couldn't ever find a castmember to give us the name of the tree. I guess I could google it and find out.

We looked at them a while and I took the two pictures and then we were off to explore the Pangani Forest:

100_3413.jpg

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
I love all of the benches at the Animal Kingdom. They would look so good on my front porch:

100_3412.jpg

We saw this guy first:

100_3414.jpg

As we walked on further, we entered the little building that houses some exhibits and the naked mole rats. Big ole' frog:

100_3416.jpg

The nasty looking mole rats:

100_3417.jpg

100_3418.jpg

We quickly walked around the exhibit that the snake was in. Mama is deathly afraid of snakes and just looking at them on television makes her sick to her stomach. So we bypassed that and looked at the other little creatures before walking out the building and outside to look for more animals.

We found these beautiful fish swimming in the water surrounding the walkway. Their colors were gorgeous:

100_3419.jpg

100_3420.jpg

A castmember who looked to be in her 60s came over to talk with us and, while she was certainly informative, we were ready to ditch her after about 15 minutes. She just wouldn't hush up. I don't mean to sound rude (and she had no idea that we were ready for her to hush) but we wanted to move on. While she talked, I took more pictures and responded to whatever it was she walk talking about.

100_3421.jpg

100_3422.jpg

100_3423.jpg

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
Finally, a little boy came up to the castmember and asked a question and we told her thanks for the information and to have a good day. We continued on to the next section where the hippos were. You can barely see the back of his head above the water:

100_3424.jpg

And he went down and all you could see were the crain and the ducks:

100_3425.jpg

Next up was the meerkat exhibit but we saw very few meerkats. There were these two who looked to be on watch:

100_3426.jpg

And, I think we saw two more but that was it. Usually, we see lots of them scampering around. Maybe it was too hot and they were resting somewhere in the shade where we couldn't see them. There were some type of deer and vultures out:

100_3427.jpg

100_3428.jpg

100_3429.jpg

I remember seeing a newsletter saying that there had been a baby gorilla born at the Animal Kingdom park and that it was out for the public to see. I was excited to see if we would get a glimpse of it. As we rounded the corner, I could hear oohs and aahs and knew that meant the baby was out. After waiting and waiting and waiting, we were finally able to see just a little of the baby:

100_3430.jpg

100_3431.jpg

The other guests weren't so nice about "sharing" window space so I had to snap these two pictures pretty quickly or not have any at all. I don't know about ya'll but, if we are up front at an exhibit, we look for a short while and then step aside so the next set of people can see. Well, apparently, other guests aren't like us. These people would stand right in front and never move. When we left, there were three or four people who were there when we got there and they were still there when we left. I think that's just plain old rude.

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
We continued along the path and I reminded Mama that this was the path that would take us to even more gorilla enclosures. I told her about the time Hunter and I had come first thing in the morning and we saw gorillas all around us. That's the year I got the most amazing pictures of the gorillas. This time, we were able to see several gorillas but didn't get as many pictures.

100_3432.jpg

100_3433.jpg

100_3434.jpg

But, just a little further down the path, we found a little nook and saw this big guy (or gal...I didn't look that closely) getting a drink from the waterfall. I even took a video but I guess I didn't put it on Photobucket.

100_3435.jpg

100_3436.jpg

100_3437.jpg

It was the neatest thing to watch. I think the gorilla knew that we were all standing around watching him/her and was putting on a show for us. It would scoop us a handful of water and then turn and look at us as if posing for pictures. I could have stood and watched him a bit longer but there were others who wanted to watch so we moved on.

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
We finished walking the trail and it was time to use our Fastpass for the Kilmanjaro Safari so we headed on over that way. We were able to walk on by the long long standby line and, yes, we got a few upturned noses looks but, hey, learn to use Fastpass people! Once we reached the front of the line, we continued on with the standby line people into the queque.

Soon, we were boarding our safari truck and were off to explore Africa. I, of course, took pictures all along the way. Some turned out okay and some were tad blurry:

100_3440.jpg

100_3441.jpg

100_3442.jpg

100_3443.jpg

100_3444.jpg

100_3446.jpg

100_3448.jpg

And then we came to my favorite part of the safari, the savanna:

100_3450.jpg

100_3451.jpg

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
100_3452.jpg

100_3453.jpg

100_3456.jpg

100_3456.jpg

100_3460.jpg

I know that I took more pictures of the safari but that's all I can find right now. As with each trip, we loved the safari and are always amazed at how close some of the animals get to the truck.

**Up next: More Animal Kingdom

disneyfan28

Yaay! I used to look forward to reading your reports everyday on another board and was seriously disappointed when they disappeared.....:veryconfu Glad your on this board now!!:sohappy:

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
Yaay! I used to look forward to reading your reports everyday on another board and was seriously disappointed when they disappeared.....:veryconfu Glad your on this board now!!:sohappy:
Glad you found me! I hope to get more installments posted soon. I usually do them when I have a little down time at work.

ctosh

I am loving your report.. We are going down in June for Star Wars weekend and I had no idea what to expect since we are Disney in Jan people..lol..Thanks!

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
I am loving your report.. We are going down in June for Star Wars weekend and I had no idea what to expect since we are Disney in Jan people..lol..Thanks!

First off, I see you're from Jonesboro Arkansas! I've been there many many times.

This was our first Star Wars Weekend experience. I don't know what I was expecting but I actually had fun (even though I know nothing at all about Star Wars) and Hunter had a blast.

ctosh

Well my son Colton and my brother are the fans in my family. There will be 16 people when we go. We are taking my parents who will be in our 2br and my brother and his family in a studio and our besties family of 4 in a 1br. I'm so ready.. we put off our trip for last week so we all can go together. I guess we will be tour guides...lol.
Next time your in town stop by

surfsupdon

Wow thanks so much for the Caribbean Beach pictures. We've probably stayed there at least a dozen times from '88-2000 when my sister and I were growing up. Now we stay at Epcot Deluxes, but always make a trip back to CBR for a lunch or dinner.

My sister and I grew up there, and it was great to see the awesome pictures--the Resort really is a tropical paradise. So many great memories there, and it's great to hear about others having a BLAST at this Resort!!

I'm very lucky that now as a teacher we bring our Seniors to CBR for their class trip. The kids absolutely love this place.

Glad the trip was so great for you all.

mickeystoontown

Original Poster
I'm enjoying your trip report and pictures. I can't wait to read the rest!:wave:

Thank you very much!

Wow thanks so much for the Caribbean Beach pictures. We've probably stayed there at least a dozen times from '88-2000 when my sister and I were growing up. Now we stay at Epcot Deluxes, but always make a trip back to CBR for a lunch or dinner.

My sister and I grew up there, and it was great to see the awesome pictures--the Resort really is a tropical paradise. So many great memories there, and it's great to hear about others having a BLAST at this Resort!!

I'm very lucky that now as a teacher we bring our Seniors to CBR for their class trip. The kids absolutely love this place.

Glad the trip was so great for you all.

What lucky Seniors! I would have loved to taken a class trip to WDW when I was a Senior.

The CBR is so beautiful. We have thought about staying at other resorts but are afraid nothing will live up to the CBR. Having said that, we will be staying 2 nights at Port Orleans Riverside in May. We are arriving 2 days before the free dining promo begins and we figured we might as well give something else a try.

Well my son Colton and my brother are the fans in my family. There will be 16 people when we go. We are taking my parents who will be in our 2br and my brother and his family in a studio and our besties family of 4 in a 1br. I'm so ready.. we put off our trip for last week so we all can go together. I guess we will be tour guides...lol.
Next time your in town stop by

It certainly sounds like you've got things all planed out. My mother is going back with us again this year and we had hoped that my older sister would go too. But, it ended up that she can't get enough time off work (her husband passed away in October and she was off for quite some time during his illness and after his death). There's always next year!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom