Who/How Does WDW Watch the weather??

jmicro59

Original Poster
Hi All,
I was just watching the travel channel and they were showing Dolly World and they stated that Dolly world has a weather monitoring station on site and that got me wondering if WDW does the same thing. Or does WDW depend on local Florida weather outlets for things such as lightning and heavy down pours reports. Thanks in advance for any replies..

b21nhl

im not sure about wdw as a whole, but when i worked there, my department used nasa's website for weather tracking. it was really accurate and helpful.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
There's some local equipment for things like lightning detection and such. There's even a TV channel that just runs a radar screens with a looping weather update. Otherwise, they mostly rely on the same media sources everyone else does.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does WDW still use the satellite they had since the late 70`s? It was initially used by RCID to monitor water levels in the canals property wide but also had weather applications.

gemini

Many amusement parks and resort areas use private forecasting services like AccuWeather or [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]New England Weather Associates.[/FONT]

SewIn2Disney

When you are on WDW property, and you watch the Weather Channel, it does say Walt Disney World, instead of the actual town of Lake Buena Vista, so i'm to assume that they do have some sort of weather tracking instruments on-site.

mikeymouse

go to indiana jones stunt spectacular and sit behind the effects booth (whatever u want to call it) down front where they have all the show controls etc.. They always have a screen up with the radar on it. Several attractions and shows have this. Keep an eye out. :) I'm a SKYWARN storm spotter so I "spot" things like that.

dixiegirl

SewIn2Disney said:
When you are on WDW property, and you watch the Weather Channel, it does say Walt Disney World, instead of the actual town of Lake Buena Vista, so i'm to assume that they do have some sort of weather tracking instruments on-site.

As many times as we see that while vacationing in "the world" I love seeimg that on tv...if only they showed that in RI..

brkgnews

Remember they also used to have a radar screen up in the old Ice Station Cool... looked like the old DTN/Kavouras system, which is a satellite delivered subscriber service. As for the Weather Channel Thing, that's just the decoder on their cable system. They could make it say happy-freakin-wonderland if they wanted to. :D

I'm sure most of the severe monitoring probably takes place inside the Emergency Operations Center / 911 dispatch office at Reedy Creek, probably using some type of subscriber service.

jmicro59

Original Poster
brkgnews said:
DTN/Kavouras system

That's the system Dolly World used. So if inclement weather is heading towards WDW and ride systems need to be shut down how are the ride operators notified? Radio? Cell? Pager?

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
TAC said:
Somewhere backstage is a large rock, that is held up in the air. Every morning, a CM goes and looks at the rock. This is how they determine the weather at WDW:

If the rock is dry, it is sunny.
If the rock is wet, it is raining.
If the rock is moving, it is windy.
If the CM cannot see the rock, it is foggy.

I cant believe you told everyone that......:lookaroun ......you are in so much trouble with the mouse....

:D

typhoonguy

Typhoon sends a coordinator to the top of Mount Mayday below Miss Tilly to watch for lightning and calculate the distance. There's a small cave inside in case weather turns bad and they need a place to hide. Next time you're at Typhoon on a day with the chance of storms, look for the yellow rain jacket on Mount Mayday

mousermerf

Account Suspended
rangerbob said:
I know that they have a weather station in Test Track. It is in the control booth.

Managers also stand on a little hill between it and M:S looking for lighting, keeping in radio contact with the tower.

kennygman77

I always thought they dispatched Buzz Lightyear of Star Command to the Gamma Quadrant to keep an eye on any wayward hurricanes and blast them off the face of the map. Am I wrong??? :hammer:

There have been rumors of giving this job over to Stitch, but after he burps in your face, you wish you could go through a light rain instead.

shoppingnut

TAC said:
Somewhere backstage is a large rock, that is held up in the air. Every morning, a CM goes and looks at the rock. This is how they determine the weather at WDW:

If the rock is dry, it is sunny.
If the rock is wet, it is raining.
If the rock is moving, it is windy.
If the CM cannot see the rock, it is foggy.

OOOOOO, giving out the mouse's secrets.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom