who has gotten a candy creation from Miyuki?

mickeymaniacs

Original Poster
We are going to see her next time we're there.But I'm curious... who has gotten one and what did you get? If you've got pics great! I personally thought the monkey that I saw on youtube was adorable.

Slipknot

I recommend choosing an animal like a dolphin or bird. Any animal that has sharp pieces (porcupine or scorpion) will tear your lips up good!!!

thrupaytonseyes

We got one when we went down in Dec. It was amazing. My son got a pink Monkey. His fave color is red but with the white candy it turns out pink. We still have it. It was so cool I wouldn't let him eat it! Will try and post a pic in a bit.

SirNim

Blue Dragon

My favorite color is blue (and birthday gemstone is the blue sapphire) and I'm a dragon according to the Chinese zodiac.

I kept it in the little plastic wrapper and set it upon my desk as a display piece upon my return until, alas, a year or so later its intricate details had crumbled and I was forced to dispose of it.

Slipknot

eddiemcgarrigle said:
Tried and failed. She repeatedly ignored my young son who was at the front of the crowd waving like mad. :(

One thing I have noticed, is that she does not go for the ones who are trying to get noticed. She always goes for the quiet ones. I just show up and watch not expecting anything but amazing animals made out of candy and she has picked me twice.

Jasonflz said:
What's the price range?

Free if you are chosen by her to make an animal.

crush dude! said:
Where and what times does she perform at in Epcot???

Depends. When you get to the park, pick up a times guide. Sometimes she comes out a minute or two early. And she is in Japan right outside the corner entrance to the shop.

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
One thing I have noticed, is that she does not go for the ones who are trying to get noticed. She always goes for the quiet ones. I just show up and watch not expecting anything but amazing animals made out of candy and she has picked me twice.

Free if you are chosen by her to make an animal.

Depends. When you get to the park, pick up a times guide. Sometimes she comes out a minute or two early. And she is in Japan right outside the corner entrance to the shop.

Thanx a mill, i havent even seen her, so even that wud do for me :wave:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Little known fact, she is only one of 3 people in the world who are officially skilled to do this...and she is the only female.

thrupaytonseyes

Here is a pic I have, wish it were better. She added on green for grass underneath the monkey afterward.
disney12-08304.jpg

We got a gray elephant. It is so cute, we still have it. She likes to choose a family and the candy is for the family and reminds the kids to share. I agree, if you wait patiently she is more likely to choose you than if you are waving and asking to be chosen.

Phonedave

Little known fact, she is only one of 3 people in the world who are officially skilled to do this...and she is the only female.

Is there some sort of guild or offical body ?

This place seems to do it http://www.luckyentertainment.com/artists.htm

This site says its a popular folk art in China and shows loads of examples of the work (it really is an interesting read)

http://www.chinaculture.org/gb/en_madeinchina/2005-12/28/content_77569.htm

I would not call a popular folk art something that only 3 people in the world can do.

I think the problem stems from the blurb on the Disney website, quoted below.

"Miyuki is the only female trained in the art of candy sculptures in Epcot, and is always glad to take requests when sculpting her creations."

She is the only female in EPCOT not the only female in the world, who happens to be in EPCOT

a2grafix

My sister received one from her father when he used to do it. She received one of those cool creations from him at the Japanese pavillion back around 1987.

Sandgirl

Is there some sort of guild or offical body ?

This place seems to do it http://www.luckyentertainment.com/artists.htm

This site says its a popular folk art in China and shows loads of examples of the work (it really is an interesting read)

http://www.chinaculture.org/gb/en_madeinchina/2005-12/28/content_77569.htm

I would not call a popular folk art something that only 3 people in the world can do.

I think the problem stems from the blurb on the Disney website, quoted below.

"Miyuki is the only female trained in the art of candy sculptures in Epcot, and is always glad to take requests when sculpting her creations."

She is the only female in EPCOT not the only female in the world, who happens to be in EPCOT

I think the poster meant "in the World" as in, in Disney WORLD. Not the literal world, but the Disney World. HTH!

Phonedave

I think the poster meant "in the World" as in, in Disney WORLD. Not the literal world, but the Disney World. HTH!

I am not so sure about that.

Being the only person in WDW who can do something like that is hardly somthing to take as an amazing fact.

I would hazard that Jutta over in Germany is the only person (and female) in WDW who is skilled in painting eggs.

DeVine over in AK is most likely the only stilt walker skilled in imitating plant life.

While they were there, the living statues in Italy were most likely the only people in WDW who could do that.

The number of skilled glass artisans in WDW most likely numbers under 20

The guy who paints Hummels in Germany IS the only person in WDW licensed to paint Hummels.

I really think he meant the world as in the world at large. I have also head that little nugget of info before. She being the only person on the Earth with that skill - must put the thousands of people in pastry school working with gum paste into a depressed funk.

-dave

PineapplePrincess

DD received a pink flamingo. I agree that she tends to pick the quiet ones. We happened to catch the end of one of her shows, and she told us she would be back in 15 minutes. We waited until the next show, and got right up in front. It was a lot of fun to watch!

trendicoff

So first off, I'm a Miyuki hog, I can't go to Epcot without seeing her. I've gotten a pink unicorn, a blue hummingbird and a yellow dragon. I still have two of them, the humming bird got crushed in transit. And I agree with the earlier poster that she definitely picks those who are quiet and patient.

As for the unique nature of her skills, I spoke to her a few years back after her show. Although many people may have learned this skill, she said this type of art (perhaps this particular style of rice candy sculpture) has been handed down in her family for generations (and no, she would not teach me :hammer: ) She said it was her grandfather that taught her this skill and she is currently teaching her daughter (this was back in '05 so by now I have to assume there's another female in the world)

DizneyPryncess

On my honeymoon she made me a grey elephant! :)

I still have not eaten mine! It's been a year, and I just can't bring myself to do it! It's still in good shape.
picture.php

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom