Who else thinks Park Prices & Resort Prices will Increase?

MissViv

Original Poster
Oh the prices always go up... but if they cut the hours, eliminate the parades, fireworks and shows then they will be hard pressed to draw the number of guests they want if they increase the prices right now. I expect the price increases will be on hold until the virus BS goes away and they start operating more normally. Would you really pay 100 dollar for a day at Disney if they had no shows, parades, fireworks or even meet and greets? Frankly I would need a big discount before I would go under those conditions.

For lower crowds, yes. I am not interested in meet 'n greets. I have no small children and while I do enjoy the fireworks (usually from my resort) I can do without it. Also, very rarely do I watch the parades anymore, only for the Christmas or Halloween parties.

MissViv

Original Poster
I don’t think they’ll raise prices right away. I think at first prices will remain the same and they’ll do lots of discounts and special offers (like after the 2008 recession,) and then when crowd levels start going back up, then they’ll raise prices.
I hope you are right. But, I believe there will be price increases since there is limited availability.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh the prices always go up... but if they cut the hours, eliminate the parades, fireworks and shows then they will be hard pressed to draw the number of guests they want if they increase the prices right now. I expect the price increases will be on hold until the virus BS goes away and they start operating more normally. Would you really pay 100 dollar for a day at Disney if they had no shows, parades, fireworks or even meet and greets? Frankly I would need a big discount before I would go under those conditions.
I think the economy will keep people away. The pain really hasn’t started yet. It’s always the one and only “great equalizer” in Disney parks business.

So that may limit their ability on pricing.

I disagree that any reductions will keep people away except for longtime and frequent travelers.

My read on DVC - including the schmuck in the mirror - is that there is little desire to go under the quarantine conditions. Perhaps if prices hadn’t increased by a factor of 3 since 2000 it would?...but that did happen.
I don’t think they’ll raise prices right away. I think at first prices will remain the same and they’ll do lots of discounts and special offers (like after the 2008 recession,) and then when crowd levels start going back up, then they’ll raise prices.
They actually raised prices during the housing crash...they just did temporary discounts to run smokescreen over them.

It was amusing to track the online pleas for “free dining” each year...and as that rolled for 5+ years - some started to notice their cost went up 15% year over year...bringing into question the use of the term “free” as always.

thomas998

For lower crowds, yes. I am not interested in meet 'n greets. I have no small children and while I do enjoy the fireworks (usually from my resort) I can do without it. Also, very rarely do I watch the parades anymore, only for the Christmas or Halloween parties.
Understandable... we skip most parades too, but then without any parades, meet and greets and other things that draw large crowds the only things left will be shops and attractions which means even with lower crowds the lines for rides will not be much better than before. We will normally only do the last parade during the Halloween party because we know it draws lots of people and the wait times of rides is very low during the first one.

Wendy Pleakley

Most of the reports from Universal and other parks seem to indicate that the crowds are of course lower, but wait times are about the same due to social distancing.

So, it's not like Disney will be offering an after hours type experience. Demand may still exceed supply, which generally allows for higher prices, but will people really be willing to pay more for an experience that will be about the same as before, at least in terms of wait times?

Note that Disney has stopped selling or renewing annual passes. Those extremely discounted tickets (on a per visit basis) are being reduced/eliminated temporarily. That's a price increase right there.

HongKongFooy

I am not interested in meet 'n greets. I have no small children and while I do enjoy the fireworks (usually from my resort) I can do without it. Also, very rarely do I watch the parades anymore,

If your main draw is rides then no parades, fireworks, stage shows nor character interactions does a disservice to you and to pretty much everyone.
Now those same guests who would have positioned themselves on the Main St sidewalk waiting for a parade are in line with you at Splash Mountain.

Walt Disney1955

Indeed...

Another side story is “someone” is floating a $2 trillion bailout of certain things...notable the tourism industry...that I can’t see getting past Nancy.

Not that it doesn’t make sense...but there won’t be that kind of creampuff easy money coming in based on the calendar.

This is a “political” mechanism...but it directly affects the economics of tourism. I’m not trying to start a politics debate. It is what it is.

Yeah, tourism is taking a huge hit everywhere. We see it just in North America, and that's bad enough. But imagine how badly this has hit the Caribbean countries who do not have the same resources and who rely much, much more on tourism. No one is going to an all-inclusive resort right now.

juniorthomas

I think that when the reservation system is back open (who knows when that will be) there will be quite a noticeable price increase in park tickets and resort prices. I would be shocked if there were any resort discounts. Since they will be limiting the amount of visitors into the parks and resorts, it seems only logic.

What do u think?

No. And yes. In that order.

After the parks open, and the parks have a better idea of how to operate in this new normal, I would not at all be surprised to see Disney offer discounts (free dining, reduced room rates) to entice people back to the parks.

Later, when there is a vaccine and travel has no limitations, yes, prices will increase. Since that is likely a while away, the prices would likely jump a little anyway.

OG Runner

Yes, I think prices will continue to go up, the sun will still come out and the earth will continue to turn on it's axis.
Honestly, when is the last time you saw prices go down? Even compare the times when discounts and meal plans
are offered. The overall cost of the vacation still goes up.

KimAnnFran

I thought this was a joke or sarcasm at first, not sure when they have NOT gone up and now they have a reason, all the adjustments and redoing they've had to do because of Rona.

Wendy Pleakley

I thought this was a joke or sarcasm at first, not sure when they have NOT gone up and now they have a reason, all the adjustments and redoing they've had to do because of Rona.

I don't think this thread was asking about general price increases. We all know prices will go up each year.

The question is about whether COVID will result in more immediate price increases or larger than usual increases, due to a decrease in supply of the product.

If attendance is capped at say 50%, it stands to reason Disney could charge a premium. Hotel discounts or free dining are used to fill in the empty space, so to speak. With attendance capped, the available space may fill up without any need for promotions or discounts.

It's like the After Hours parties in a way. Disney can sell a few thousand tickets at a higher price point. They don't charge that much during regular hours because not enough people would pay that much for a visit. It's basic supply and demand.

DugLovesU

There's usually a rate calendar on the Disney World website showing the daily rack rate for various rooms. That calendar is no longer there which leads me to think it's been torn up and therefore a rate increase is imminent.

Clamman73

I got my reservation for the fall at movies for a standard room, so I’ll know when they’re available again what the change was.

This is kind of how the game went last year....I booked Pop early on for the rack rate. Waited for room only discount, but that came after there was a rack rate increase. Turned out my earlier booked rack rate was a cheaper option than after the room discount was available. It’s all smoke and mirrors.

MissViv

Original Poster
Well, prices are showing now for all dates but you still cannot make a reservation but maybe it's getting closer . The prices shown are rack rates and do not look like they have gone up but no discounts.

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I don’t think they are going to offer discounts as long as they are trying to keep the parks at a certain limited capacity. But for those new reservations, if they are trying to bring guests in but are raising parking fees, resort parking fees, rooms rates, and potentially adding a “covid fee”, that may very well have worked if we weren’t entering into a big recession. I don’t think it’s going to be fear of the virus and travel that keeps people away, it’ll be lack of cash flow and loss of jobs.

chama1

I really hope their prices will be lowered once they realize this virus is not going anywhere anytime soon, with ppl not following the CDC guidelines...and "spikes" keep happening...plus if Disney is not giving the same amenities, (fireworks, parades, etc) , Guest will not come...I think we will see lower prices in the Lake Buena Vista hotel area, hell I see that now...Disney might lower the "Moderate" hotel prices...with Universal laying off it's employees due to lower occupancy...Park will have to find ways to may them "affordable"...for now...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really hope their prices will be lowered once they realize this virus is not going anywhere anytime soon, with ppl not following the CDC guidelines...and "spikes" keep happening...plus if Disney is not giving the same amenities, (fireworks, parades, etc) , Guest will not come...I think we will see lower prices in the Lake Buena Vista hotel area, hell I see that now...Disney might lower the "Moderate" hotel prices...with Universal laying off it's employees due to lower occupancy...Park will have to find ways to may them "affordable"...for now...
Hold your breathe on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom