Who else still calls it MGM Studios?

David S.

I'm in the minority here, but I never called it "MGM" even when it WAS part of the name! I always called it "The Studios" or "Disney Studios".

The name of the park was "Disney/MGM Studios" but never really had much actual "MGM" content other than a few scenes in the Great Movie Ride, such as Wizard Of Oz and a few others.

There have always been far more attractions in the park based on DISNEY films than MGM ones, and even most of the attractions based on non-Disney properties had no ties to MGM (such as Star Wars, Muppets, Indy, Aerosmith, and Twilight Zone).

So me being the hardcore fan of DISNEY culture, I never liked the idea of MGM getting to share billing with Disney, just because they let Disney use a few scenes in one ride. The DISNEY Imagineers were the one's who actually designed the park!

When I would hear people calling the park just "MGM", it really sounded to me like another "Universal", or in other words, a park made by another studio that had nothing to do with Disney. If I didn't know better, that's how it would appear - that it wasn't even a Disney park. When in reality, there are SEVERAL attractions based on Disney at the park - Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Fantasmic!, Playhouse Disney, Magic Of Disney Animation, and of course Walt Disney: One Man's Dream!

I may be in the minority, but I much prefer the new name. My first choice would have been "The Walt Disney Studios", but still, "Disney's Hollywood Studios" is preferrable to me than giving a competing studio credit for something they had very little to do with!

With the rebrand, now everyone knows it's a DISNEY park! :)

wbc

I do by habit. I try not to when I speak to other park guests because 90% of the time you get a total " Look"

I don't think my family even realizes that the park name has been changed. They still refer it just by "MGM"

So dad will be talking to people at the parks about "MGM" and they just give him blank stares. :ROFLOL:

Wilt Dasney

I'm in the minority here, but I never called it "MGM" even when it WAS part of the name! I always called it "The Studios" or "Disney Studios".
Partial ditto. "MGM" never really worked for me as shorthand, because it was only half the name. (But I couldn't call it "Disney Studios" for the same reason.) :lol:

I tended to prefer "Studios park" before the change.

MissM

My first instinct is to say "MGM" though I'm trying to get in the habit of saying "the Studios" instead. I refuse to call it "DHS" or "Hollywood Studios" because the name is lame.

And since I was at MGM as early as a few months after it opened, I think I've earned the right to still think of it that way! :lol:

Testtrack321

I've always hated that name, Disney-MGM Studios. Such an awkward name. MGM wasn't a proper abbreviation, so I mocked it by calling it "Mmm-gum" or such.

I try to call it DHS but sometimes slip and say MGM or mmm-gum. Not my job to brand the park or make sure CM's use the correct name.

DDPGambit

I was still calling it MGM until recently. After two years of Hollywood Studios I've now finally started referring to it as "the Studios". And now I gotta start calling the TTA the Peoplemover again after just recently getting used to calling it TTA! ARGH!

Dwarful

We still call it MGM at our house...but we always called the Wedway Peoplemover the Peoplemover. It will probably be MGM forever in my mind.

MarkTwain

Hate to break the pattern here, but I found myself adapting to "Disney's Hollywood Studios" pretty quickly. I always wondered why a park that referenced MGM in its name had so little to do with actual MGM productions. I thought the name Hollywood Studios was a much better fit, considering a lot of the park was themed to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Seeing as most of my family still calls it MGM though, I respect everyone's opinion. :lol:

David S.

I always wondered why a park that referenced MGM in its name had so little to do with actual MGM productions. I thought the name Hollywood Studios was a much better fit, considering a lot of the park was themed to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

You've perfectly summed up my EXACT thoughts about the two names! Great job! ;)

Xethis

I've noticed when talking to people about it I almost always say " . . .at MGM I mean Hollywood Studios".

For some reason I think my brain is loyal to the old name, but knows its wrong, so now it just says them both together. Bad habit, lol.

s.ollie

Hate to break the pattern here, but I found myself adapting to "Disney's Hollywood Studios" pretty quickly. I always wondered why a park that referenced MGM in its name had so little to do with actual MGM productions. I thought the name Hollywood Studios was a much better fit, considering a lot of the park was themed to the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Seeing as most of my family still calls it MGM though, I respect everyone's opinion. :lol:

I agree.... my folks still refer to it as MGM but i go by DHS, and i blame these forums because God forbid you name something wrong on them..... there is always some lurking around the corner to correct you :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom