Who else here prefers a stay at a Value Resort versus a Deluxe?

21stamps

Question for the “food court is great!” responses-

We stayed at All Star Sports for 2 short nights in November.. I was fine with the room, the football field was cute, didn’t see the pool so no opinion there, but the food court was HORRIBLE!! Loud, crowded, kids making a mess at the condiment station. Rowdy would be the appropriate term. To make matters worse, the food was gross. I think we each ate maybe two bites of our meals.
I much prefer the QS restaurants at the deluxe resorts.

So to my question, What did you like about it? And what did you order? Maybe the vast size and loudness is exclusive to All Star Sports?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Question for the “food court is great!” responses-

We stayed at All Star Sports for 2 short nights in November.. I was fine with the room, the football field was cute, didn’t see the pool so no opinion there, but the food court was HORRIBLE!! Loud, crowded, kids making a mess at the condiment station. Rowdy would be the appropriate term. To make matters worse, the food was gross. I think we each ate maybe two bites of our meals.
I much prefer the QS restaurants at the deluxe resorts.

So to my question, What did you like about it? And what did you order? Maybe the vast size and loudness is exclusive to All Star Sports?
Actually, I only stayed at the All Star Sports once ever. I don't remember the food court, but I remember the bathroom and what a chaotic moment that was for my mother. We walked in the room, she walked in the bathroom. The next thing I heard was, "No! No! I am not taking a shower in that!." The bathroom looked like it came straight out of a locker room with a bench. Now, I'm not sure they still have those kind of bathrooms there, but I like normal showers/tubs.

The All Star Movies and Music food court from my experiences were always crowded, but I will say that the Music food court is better situated in my opinion. Like, you are able to move about a little better/better organized and what not. Food in both have been good-to-great QS food (Sometimes the food in those courts have been better than QS in the parks). But again, I can't compare that to Sports because right when my mother discovered that bathroom, she went straight to the front desk and got us moved to Movies. Never looked back since.

Tinkerfan4ever

We are DVC members now, but before that we stayed at the value resorts. I do miss the values - I loved the theme of them with the over sized statues and bright designs. I enjoy the themes at the Deluxe, but I feel the values are more "Disney". The deluxe resorts have wonderful themes, they just aren't as Disney to me. But over time, I made a choice that the theme wasn't why I was staying at a resort... the amenities were. Larger rooms, kitchens, better pools, in room laundry, etc... those became more important to me than statues and decorations.

I think every resort I have stayed at has something to offer. Some people put more value on the bright, larger than life figures and some put more value on room size and views. Neither person is more 'right' than the other. It is just what is more 'right' for them personally.

21stamps

Actually, I only stayed at the All Star Sports once ever. I don't remember the food court, but I remember the bathroom and what a chaotic moment that was for my mother. We walked in the room, she walked in the bathroom. The next thing I heard was, "No! No! I am not taking a shower in that!." The bathroom looked like it came straight out of a locker room with a bench. Now, I'm not sure they still have those kind of bathrooms there, but I like normal showers/tubs.

The All Star Movies and Music food court from my experiences were always crowded, but I will say that the Music food court is better situated in my opinion. Like, you are able to move about a little better/better organized and what not. Food in both have been good-to-great QS food (Sometimes the food in those courts have been better than QS in the parks). But again, I can't compare that to Sports because right when my mother discovered that bathroom, she went straight to the front desk and got us moved to Movies. Never looked back since.

I’ll let the salad speak for itself, give me Captain Cook’s any day!!
5F96F55D-836E-4401-A5CB-92BBBC0220EE.jpeg

Bartledvd

Well now that free dinning is out again in the uk i cane once again compare apples with apples cheapest option for the 8 of us is 2 bed at OKW with standard dinning plan free. Need two rooms at value or moderate and with upgrading to the equivalent dinning package it will cost us atleast £1500 more with that we lose kitchen living room laundry facilities and the peace and quiet that is a deluxe resort so yet again OKW is a real value resort for our 14 night stay.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I’ll let the salad speak for itself, give me Captain Cook’s any day!!
View attachment 279114
Geezus! Dear gawd! I've seen rabbits with better servings than that! Seriously, it looks like someone took a cup and decided to go and scavenge a trash can.

Man, yeah. Try somewhere else for a more decent salad, or in this case a more decent anything because I really wouldn't call that a salad. That's "mush in a cup".

21stamps

Geezus! Dear gawd! I've seen rabbits with better servings than that! Seriously, it looks like someone took a cup and decided to go and scavenge a trash can.

Man, yeah. Try somewhere else for a more decent salad, or in this case a more decent anything because I really wouldn't call that a salad. That's "mush in a cup".
Ha ha. That’s the perfect description! The pizza was also not very good though. We ended up throwing almost all of the food into the trash. One and Done there!

correcaminos

I'm sorry but no, no, no, no, no. Yes the values are just that-- a value-- and they do have some cool theming at Pop Century and Art Of Animation but the moderates and deluxe hotels are way more better than the values. I have stayed at Pop Century twice, Dolphin once, Beach Club-- about to be twice, and Bay Lake Tower once, with a stay at Grand Floridian coming. You think I'm gonna ever want to stay at Pop again? It's part of the reason I joined the DVC so I could stay at the deluxe resorts in a more affordable way for a long while. I hope the original poster of this thread was joking. If they aren't, then I don't know then. I mean yeah, Pop was cool till I found out about the other hotels, now--unless I've been invited on a Disney trip and I'm not the one paying or in charge of making accommodations, then no way in heck I am ever gonna be at a value again. They give you your money's worth but they are also very lacking in other things compared to the moderates and deluxes. Now I also understand some people may never be able to afford a deluxe in their life and so yes, the values and moderates are a plenty but even if I wasn't a part of the DVC, I'd still save and save and then splurge on at least a moderate or go all the way and go deluxe. The values just aren't all that. They are like those big chain motels that have a pool and a food court, but it's just that--a value. You don't have any special restaurants or a marketplace to buy a few groceries and it's just lacking compared to the amenities you get at the moderates/deluxes.

Wow, while I am not a value fan at all and a DVC member, that just came across as quite snobby. I get that not all people like the same things. I don't like the big decor of values and how busy they can be, but I prefer slow paced lots of resort time with more subtle looks. So a place like POR is great as well to me. Not all people have to like the same. I totally see the point of the values and why so many love them.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Wow, while I am not a value fan at all and a DVC member, that just came across as quite snobby. I get that not all people like the same things. I don't like the big decor of values and how busy they can be, but I prefer slow paced lots of resort time with more subtle looks. So a place like POR is great as well to me. Not all people have to like the same. I totally see the point of the values and why so many love them.
I've stayed in POR once. I don't remember the room at all, but I remember walking around the hotel grounds. It was nice! My brother and I took the boat from POR to Downtown Disney to go to Disney Quest...it was a long time ago.:cry:

correcaminos

I've stayed in POR once. I don't remember the room at all, but I remember walking around the hotel grounds. It was nice! My brother and I took the boat from POR to Downtown Disney to go to Disney Quest...it was a long time ago.:cry:
I flip back and forth between POR and CSR being my favorite moderate. Each had great grounds and just something different to offer. The boat ride though from POR/FQ as well as OKW & SSR is just so nice. I love it. I miss DQ too - the old version when it was actually fun *sigh*

rcapolete

Excluding the costs of a value resort versus a deluxe resort, the reason I mostly stay at a value resort is because of the theme. I don't mind the buses, and I don't mind the crowds. I absolutely love love love the theme of the value resorts. My absolute favorite are the Movies and staying in 101 Dalmatians or the Mighty Ducks.

Maybe it is because of the simplicity and slight cheesiness of it all, but when I get to that hotel first thing, it puts me back into my 12 year old self's shoes and I get super excited.

Don't get me wrong though. I have nothing against a Deluxe resort. They are cool in their own right, but I prefer an All-Star stay. :joyfull:

Anyone else?
If money is not an issue then I will always stay in a deluxe resort. The location of most to a park entrance is the main reason. Them in is the other. Now when money comes into play value is the way to go. Just got back from 6 days at the all stars sports and it was perfect. We spent an average if 8 hours a day at the hotel.

MagicRat

This is like saying, dig me because I prefer a Taurus over a Mercedes, who else is with me...?

I get it, this is a discussion board, but why can’t people just do what they want to do without either needing approval or bashing the other group?

You do get that there is a certain number of people in this world who think any trip to Disney I is a gigantic waste of money, value or not? Just do your thing, who cares about the rest.

Minthorne

Other than no balcony, the thing I dislike about the values is with the volume of people the buses often have long lines at the resort and the lines are uncovered and frequently in full Florida sun. I’d happily give up some huge dogs or surfboards for the “theme” of shade for the buses. Moderates and Deluxe have covered bus waiting. I wonder what the logic of this was?

Missymoe4

Excluding the costs of a value resort versus a deluxe resort, the reason I mostly stay at a value resort is because of the theme. I don't mind the buses, and I don't mind the crowds. I absolutely love love love the theme of the value resorts. My absolute favorite are the Movies and staying in 101 Dalmatians or the Mighty Ducks.

Maybe it is because of the simplicity and slight cheesiness of it all, but when I get to that hotel first thing, it puts me back into my 12 year old self's shoes and I get super excited.

Don't get me wrong though. I have nothing against a Deluxe resort. They are cool in their own right, but I prefer an All-Star stay. :joyfull:

Anyone else?

I'm really excited to hear this. Over the past few years we have been staying at the Grand Floridian and/or Contemporary. This trip we want to shake things up. So we booked a room at the Pop outside the main pool. Yes, the savings is awesome. I do love the GF. I mean, LOVE it. But I don't love the price. And even though it is right across from the MK, it still takes a good amount of time to get to the parks. So, why not try a value?

I don't know what it is, but I'm looking forward to this trip in August more so than my trip when staying Deluxe. I think we really need to shake up and the theming...something totally different.

Missymoe4

Other than no balcony, the thing I dislike about the values is with the volume of people the buses often have long lines at the resort and the lines are uncovered and frequently in full Florida sun. I’d happily give up some huge dogs or surfboards for the “theme” of shade for the buses. Moderates and Deluxe have covered bus waiting. I wonder what the logic of this was?

See, even at the Deluxe hotels, we have resorted to uber. Since we stay MK resorts, we can't uber from MK back to the room. But even from the MK to the GF, I have waited for a boat for 45 mins. So, what is the difference at that point? Last year it took us an hour and 15 from GF to Epcot (the monorails are so slow now...).

I realize a lot of families cannot put money on the side for an uber. But we were taking one from room to park and paying $7. It's not a bad deal if you need to get somewhere or just want to get to your room quick.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
We usually drive to WDW, but last June we flew and Uber’d. We stayed at Kidani. Our first day we did the buses: leaving in am to parks pleasant and quick, but the return trip was a misery. So, we started to Uber. It was $5-$10 depending where we went. No muss, no fuss and we were grateful at the end of each long hot day.

I don’t know what the Minnie Vans will do for those Uber drivers and don’t know which is cheaper now, but as a family we’ve made the decision to Uber (or Minnie) from now on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom