Which WDW park do you think needs a DCA-style makeover the most?

Which do you think needs a DCA-style makeover the most?

• Total voters

techiegsy

I'll go over this again-

Carsland

Based off Cars, which is first premiered theme park appearances at the Studios.

Midway Mania- AT the Studios

Little Mermaid- Where is the most popular Little Mermaid attraction in Theme Park history? Studios.

World of Color - Fantasmic the next generation. Which Fantasmic features more water based effects? Studios.

Buena Vista Street - Chock full of stuff that's at Studios

Hollywood Pictures Backlot - Changed it's theme to Studios' exact structure to make it more popular.

They aren't making DCA more like Studios- It's not some hybrid theme attempt...None of the Studios attractions are the REASONS that they are included in the overhaul.

It's just that all of the big hitters of the overhaul starts with things already found at Studios...And that's proof that Studios can't be doing EVERYTHING wrong.

I can see what you're getting at, but just because Cars debued at studios doesn't make them that linked?

And you're last point... Why are you saying they are similar because... and then saying they're not similar...

dweezil78

Gotta say, as much as I'm not a huge fan of DCA, those are fairly weak parallels you've got there, Servo. :) Don't forget Midway Mania opened at DCA and DHS at the same time. And if anyone has more claim to that one, it's DCA as their version is actually part of a MIDWAY at the pier. And that Little Mermaid ride was announced as part of the DCA expansion well before the MK's Fantasyland was. Are you seriously trying to compare a dark ride to a stage show? As Gob Bluthe would say... c'mon!

Regarding the Hollywood/Buena Vista St. stuff -- you do realize that the real versions these things are based on exist just a short drive north on the I-5, right? Hence, the reason they're part of a park called California Adventure. I'm with the group who thinks it's beyond ridiculous to base a theme park on the same state its in, but so be it, that's what it is.

Finally, if you're gonna say Carsland is a ripoff of anything, I'd have to point in the direction of Test Track. The fact that Disney does tie-in with their franchises in multiple parks is nothing new... just ask Mickey Mouse.

sponono88

Gotta say, as much as I'm not a huge fan of DCA, those are fairly weak parallels you've got there, Servo. :) Don't forget Midway Mania opened at DCA and DHS at the same time. And if anyone has more claim to that one, it's DCA as their version is actually part of a MIDWAY at the pier. And that Little Mermaid ride was announced as part of the DCA expansion well before the MK's Fantasyland was. Are you seriously trying to compare a dark ride to a stage show? As Gob Bluthe would say... c'mon!

Regarding the Hollywood/Buena Vista St. stuff -- you do realize that the real versions these things are based on exist just a short drive north on the I-5, right? Hence, the reason they're part of a park called California Adventure. I'm with the group who thinks it's beyond ridiculous to base a theme park on the same state its in, but so be it, that's what it is. .

They're addressing the issue of California in California (which I personally never had a problem with) by adding the 1920s Los Angeles theme and Hollywood in the 30s, as well as the Victorian-Era Boardwalk. Transporting guests back in time will certainly help enhance the theme.

Finally, if you're gonna say Carsland is a ripoff of anything, I'd have to point in the direction of Test Track. The fact that Disney does tie-in with their franchises in multiple parks is nothing new... just ask Mickey Mouse.

It will use the third-generation Test Track ride technology.. I wouldn't call it a rip-off since the overall theme will be different. Besides, ride systems are cloned all the time

dweezil78

Oh, I wasn't calling it a ripoff.. I'm just saying, it's easier to point in that direction that try to loosely tie it to whatever in-park presence Cars had back in the day at DHS, that's all...

TimNRA757

DHS... Plus the parking lot there is pretty messy when it comes to how they placed the handicapped section by the bus stops thus creating an issue where Disney buses have to cross with cars... That just seems like poor planning as none of the other parks are like this...

_Scar

Regarding the Hollywood/Buena Vista St. stuff -- you do realize that the real versions these things are based on exist just a short drive north on the I-5, right? Hence, the reason they're part of a park called California Adventure. I'm with the group who thinks it's beyond ridiculous to base a theme park on the same state its in, but so be it, that's what it is.

TSMM may be designed for DCA, but work in both parks. I still think DHS' is quite a bit more popular, but that's ultimately due to DHS lack of non-thrill rides and the addition of Toy Story characters to their star studded lineup.

And we don't know if TLM was planned for the MK when they were planning it for DCA too. I wouldn't be throwing that acusation around. I believe, due to DCA's need for things in its expansion, took the idea from MK future FLand plans. TLM easily fits a Fantasyland more than PP, so I think it is certainly possible DCA snatched that idea. Also, TLM has been a long running rumor for almost EVERY Disneyland park. I'm sure adding TLM to MK's future lineup was not last minute.

Comparing TLM stage show to the ride is certainly acceptable. The stage show always has a high demand and packed theaters. It shows there is a very high demand for Ariel inside the parks.

And Bunea Vista street is NOT 2009 Hollywood. It's WALT's Hollywood. It certainly seems like here would be where DHS comes into play the most due to its very successful Hollywood Blvd including the Carthay Circle area. I have a feeling DCA is going to make this area there own though with their unique partners statue. Can't wait to see some progress on this area!

Carsland is technically just an upgrade of Test Track and JTTCOTE. IDK how different the ride really is, but it's a stretch to say Carsland takes the idea from Test Track. Did Mystic Manor take Pooh's idea? :rolleyes:

sponono88

And we don't know if TLM was planned for the MK when they were planning it for DCA too. I wouldn't be throwing that acusation around. I believe, due to DCA's need for things in its expansion, took the idea from MK future FLand plans. TLM easily fits a Fantasyland more than PP, so I think it is certainly possible DCA snatched that idea. Also, TLM has been a long running rumor for almost EVERY Disneyland park. I'm sure adding TLM to MK's future lineup was not last minute.

Yeah, about this.. I'm not sure if TLM was planned for MK first. Going back to the DCA Bob Weiss video - he says he's excited about DCA being the first Disney park to feature a Little Mermaid ride. That video was taken way before the FL expansion was announced. Maybe they designed it for both parks at the same time, who knows. And as much as I loved Golden Dreams.. it just wasn't getting a high guest count. It was going to be replaced sooner or later.

And Bunea Vista street is NOT 2009 Hollywood. It's WALT's Hollywood. It certainly seems like here would be where DHS comes into play the most due to its very successful Hollywood Blvd including the Carthay Circle area. I have a feeling DCA is going to make this area there own though with their unique partners statue. Can't wait to see some progress on this area!

A slight correction, Buena Vista St. will be Los Angeles. Hollywood will be represented right next door in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, rumored to become HollywoodLand. Work on the Red Trolley cars will start this coming January :)

_Scar

Yeah, about this.. I'm not sure if TLM was planned for MK first. Going back to the DCA Bob Weiss video - he says he's excited about DCA being the first Disney park to feature a Little Mermaid ride. That video was taken way before the FL expansion was announced. Maybe they designed it for both parks at the same time, who knows. And as much as I loved Golden Dreams.. it just wasn't getting a high guest count. It was going to be replaced sooner or later.

A slight correction, Buena Vista St. will be Los Angeles. Hollywood will be represented right next door in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, rumored to become HollywoodLand. Work on the Red Trolley cars will start this coming January :)

The first park to feature a Little Mermaid ride yes- because the MK was not yet announced and DCA's would be built first :D

And, still, with Los Angeles the things being built will not be there still
(I'd think). The architecture and style is long gone, but not forgotten.

sponono88

And, still, with Los Angeles the things being built will not be there still
(I'd think). The architecture and style is long gone, but not forgotten.

True. It will be interesting to see how they develop DCA's version of Main Street, with a 1920s setting. Should be fun :)

Disney-Nautifan

I believe that the theme park that needs the biggest makeover is Epcot. I say this because its attractions, although good, are losing there whole imaginativeness and glimpse of the future, which is what the purpose of Epcot was. I mean look at Mission: Space, that is just a thrilling space stimulator, while the masterpiece Horizons (R.I.P) was brilliant, and it showed us a now impossible future, but a very imaginative you to that.

The whole look of the park as well is not so futuristic any more, and it resembles more a usual theme park than a concept of the future. A good example is Innoventions. Its new colour (green and blue) scheme is awful, and it looks too gaudy. What happened to its blues, greys, and silvers?

However, it is not all bad. One disney theme park that definately must have a major makeover is Disney's Hollywood Studios. It currently is a mess, and it needs new attractions badly.

Figment632

I believe that the theme park that needs the biggest makeover is Epcot. I say this because its attractions, although good, are losing there whole imaginativeness and glimpse of the future, which is what the purpose of Epcot was. I mean look at Mission: Space, that is just a thrilling space stimulator, while the masterpiece Horizons (R.I.P) was brilliant, and it showed us a now impossible future, but a very imaginative you to that.

The whole look of the park as well is not so futuristic any more, and it resembles more a usual theme park than a concept of the future. A good example is Innoventions. Its new colour (green and blue) scheme is awful, and it looks too gaudy. What happened to its blues, greys, and silvers?

However, it is not all bad. One disney theme park that definately must have a major makeover is Disney's Hollywood Studios. It currently is a mess, and it needs new attractions badly.

I am the biggest Horizons fan around and am still mourning the loss, but Mission SPace fits in FW perfectly. Last time I checked we didn't have the technology to go to Mars. What I will give you is MS almost completly lacks the message Horizons gave.

EpcotServo

None of you are thinking fourth-dimensionally...
:lol:

What I'm saying is that if everything in the DCA Overhaul is less than three degrees separation from what can be found at Studios, don't treat the DCA Overhaul like it's some messiah that has to come down from Mount Sinai and save the poor little Studios from being a thematic mess. Well how can it be a thematic mess if all the themes DCA is getting are already at Studios? If Studios is a thematic mess, you have to admit that DCA will be a thematic mess.

Which it's not, and never will be. So that means both are just fine thematically and Present Studios and Future DCA are more alike than they are different. It's a postive message, unless you bear a Studios grudge.

I'm saying that they're both great, and using a DCA style overhaul on a park that's 95% fine, is like fitting a square cube in a triangular hole.

sponono88

^ Ok, let's just agree to disagree :lol: I never thought DHS was a thematic mess in the first place. I just think it's a bit silly to say that WoC, TLM and Carsland came out of DHS, that's all.

EpcotServo

^ Ok, let's just agree to disagree :lol: I never thought DHS was a thematic mess in the first place. I just think it's a bit silly to say that WoC, TLM and Carsland came out of DHS, that's all.

I wasn't saying that. I'm saying if Cars, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, a nighttime water spectacular, and a 1920's LA are the meat of characters and themes for the overhaul. All of those characters and themes are already at Studios, and people (not you) think it's a mess. I'm just saying that there's a New DCA/Present Studios double standard. The people who gripe over studios' themes aren't applying the same criticsm over the new DCA.

I'm trying to cancel out both critisms because they're both wrong, and all of the above fits in both parks. In a way, DCA is becoming the neat and shiny Disneyland version of Studios.

It makes sense too, I've always/always will love/loved DCA/Studios past and present, and it seems people have/will always complain about DCA/Studios being random. I just never have/don't see it like that.

Past and Present DCA lovers, Past and Present Studios lovers unite to defend their parks!
:lol: :sohappy:

EPCOT Explorer

I wasn't saying that. I'm saying if Cars, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, a nighttime water spectacular, and a 1920's LA are the meat of characters and themes for the overhaul. All of those characters and themes are already at Studios, and people (not you) think it's a mess. I'm just saying that there's a New DCA/Present Studios double standard. The people who gripe over studios' themes aren't applying the same criticsm over the new DCA.

I'm trying to cancel out both critisms because they're both wrong, and all of the above fits in both parks. In a way, DCA is becoming the neat and shiny Disneyland version of Studio
s.

It makes sense too, I've always/always will love/loved DCA/Studios past and present, and it seems people have/will always complain about DCA/Studios being random. I just never have/don't see it like that.

Past and Present DCA lovers, Past and Present Studios lovers unite to defend their parks!
:lol: :sohappy:
That's a very good way to put it, seeing that you refer to DL as "a real Disney Park"

...Making DHS...what? :lookaroun:rolleyes:

EpcotServo

That's a very good way to put it, seeing that you refer to DL as "a real Disney Park"

...Making DHS...what? :lookaroun:rolleyes:

Book Suggestion: "Context", I read it all the time.

:rolleyes: :lol:

"A Real DISNEY park" was referring to Magic Kingdom-style parks, and that Disneyland is the Disney-est of them all.*

*I've often referred that Non-Kingdom parks should be taken on different levels. They are more a reflection of Imagineering, and the Disney spirit of creativity is what rightfully earns the Disney name. However none of them, save for Disneyland, are "Walt's parks", they are DISNEY PARKS. But Disneyland will always by default be the Disneyest of them all, because it is, Walt's Park.

And it's a great compliment, since it seems the Studios mindset is making a very good companion park. You think future DCA is great, you think DCA is like Disneyland's Studios, meaning that the Studios is inherently...great!

YOU SAID IT!

Your Words!

EPCOT Explorer

Book Suggestion: "Context", I read it all the time.

:rolleyes: :lol:

"A Real DISNEY park" was referring to Magic Kingdom-style parks, and that Disneyland is the Disney-est of them all.*

*I've often referred that Non-Kingdom parks should be taken on different levels. They are more a reflection of Imagineering, and the Disney spirit of creativity is what rightfully earns the Disney name. However none of them, save for Disneyland, are "Walt's parks", they are DISNEY PARKS. But Disneyland will always by default be the Disneyest of them all, because it is, Walt's Park.

And it's a great compliment, since it seems the Studios mindset is making a very good companion park. You think future DCA is great, you think DCA is like Disneyland's Studios, meaning that the Studios is inherently...great!

YOU SAID IT!

Your Words!
:brick: Too many little rules here to make any logical sense out of this.:brick::lol:

I do think the Studios is great, Travis, you seem to forget that...I just think that it needs help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom