Which ride did you ride for the first time and get the most scared?

sweetpee_1993

Sweetpea, I just read your entire story LOL. It reminded me of when my dad forced me on Superman at Six Flags New England. Incase you don't know what this ride is here is a picture of the first drop:
NESuper04.jpg

Dad made me go on that when I was 7 years old. My head was buried in the seat the entire time. I remember repeating "please don't let me die, please don't let me die."

Good grief! I would've died for sure! Geez! And I thought my dad was cruel for 'forcing' me on BTMRR! :lol: Poor thing! Did you make him feel plenty bad for scaring ya?! :D

I've got to say that I found your story to be very inspiring. As a confirmed acrophobe, I've been very ... unenthusiastic about thrill rides for all of my life.

My wife and I are planning a trip to The World in Late 2012; I am going to give the Mountains a try. (We'll see about ToT, EE, and RnRRC.)

YouTube videos are actually pretty useful for this sort of thing; looking at a first-person video of Thunder Mountain makes me more confident that I can handle it, despite 45 years of negative conditioning.

I think YouTube might have helped me when I was a kid. LOL! Seriously. You can totally do it. Undue fear of stuff we know logically is safe is literally our brains working to hold us back. That's what I tell myself. Think of the things that your brain tells you to fear and think of them each carefully. Reason with each one then go take the plunge. I'm telling you, it becomes addicting this fear-conquorring thing. Later in my teen years I went rock-climbing and rapelling which was petrifying at the time but one of the most rewarding things I've ever done because I proved to myself I could push myself, find my strength, and overcome things that I never would've dreamed I could do. This is why I want to go skydiving someday. I want to place myself on the edge and have that challenge of willingly stepping out beyond any fear I have.

Definitely do BTMRR first! It's not really fast at all, has no large drops (for me the biggest is comparable to PotC!), and is actually quite fun. There's lots of fun stuff to see, too. Even if you hate it you can say you had the courage to try it and you will know you saw what was there with your own eyes. Right?

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
Me too. Probably the most frightening ride I think that I've ever been on. I've only ridden it twice, and have vowed to never ride it again. The pitch black, the sounds, and the final dinsoaur just as you end the ride just get to me. Super intense.

o yes my fiance calls me a grandma bc i say the ride is SO loud! ha ha I guess im 22 going on 82 :)

Sarabell

I have to go with Snow White Scary Adventure. It was 1990 (my first trip)and my favorite movie ever was Snow White. I remember I was eating an orange on the ride and as soon as I saw the witch's hand coming out of the window holding the apple I put the whole (giant) orange in my mouth cause I though she was gonna take it from me :lookaroun (I know... you gotta love kids...) That kinda left me traumatized and from there on I didn't like that ride too much... Still don't nowadays so it doesn't affect me that it's being closed.:shrug:

Krack

As a kid? Snow White was scarier to me than the Haunted Mansion. I also found the "train" on Mr Toad scary, even after I had ridden it several times.

The only ride I've ever found "scary" as an adult was Alien Encounter the first time I rode it. Outstanding.

PartOfYourWorld

It's Tough to Be a Bug..I will never ever forget the first time I went on it...I hate hate bugs, I think I was around 10 years old when I first saw it in 99 and haven't seen it since then. I took off my 3D glasses and refused to put them back on. Still gives me the creeps when I think about it.

HouCuseChickie

Pictured here is obviously my mother with: (from left to right) 11 yro me, 8 yro step-sister Tasha, 12 yro step-brother Chris, and 13 yro brother Jerry (username 'obrienIII' here on WDWMagic). My step-dad took the picture.

IMG.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~circa October 1985~~~~~~~~~~

On this day I also conquered Space Mountain which was an instant new favorite. In the months and years to come I had many coasters to conquer, each one easier and easier as I retrained my brain to not fear thrill rides. Soooo, BTMRR ended up being the scariest ride ever for me but then it also became the one that opened up the door to years and years of fantastic thrills that I loved far more than I ever feared.
:wave:

I don't know which I like more- the story or the picture! Reminds me of my first trip to WDW in April of 85.

Sweetpea, I just read your entire story LOL. It reminded me of when my dad forced me on Superman at Six Flags New England. Incase you don't know what this ride is here is a picture of the first drop:
NESuper04.jpg

Dad made me go on that when I was 7 years old. My head was buried in the seat the entire time. I remember repeating "please don't let me die, please don't let me die."

Now that's my kind of ride!!! Seriously- I've gone out of my way to ride that kind of stuff!

I don't think I've ever been really scared on any Disney ride...but I probably would have if I hadn't been middle school age on our first trip. I get that fun butterflies anticipation feeling with some things, but not overly frightened. Dinosaur probably comes the closest to qualify for scaring me.

CamiLyn227

Tower of Terror! I've been to Disney many many times but always was too chicken to ride until....we got picked to be the family of the day and were given the chance to be the first ones to ride for that day and ALONE! I couldn't turn it down. So I did I and it was scary! I haven't rode it again since then, but maybe I will be brave enough someday.:lol: Still the ONLY ride that really scares me.

disney1077

It's Tough to Be a Bug..I will never ever forget the first time I went on it...I hate hate bugs, I think I was around 10 years old when I first saw it in 99 and haven't seen it since then. I took off my 3D glasses and refused to put them back on. Still gives me the creeps when I think about it.

I forgot about this ride. I feel the same way, i hate bugs but I thought i have to try it at least once and that was it for me. The whole show just creeped me out, i couldn't get out of the theater fast enough. lol

PartOfYourWorld

I forgot about this ride. I feel the same way, i hate bugs but I thought i have to try it at least once and that was it for me. The whole show just creeped me out, i couldn't get out of the theater fast enough. lol

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Doesn't matter if they're funny bugs or not..with all the special effects they do...creeps me out

mp2bill

Snow White's Scary Adventures in 1981 when I was 4 years old. Scared the hell out of me! :lol:

Same here! I hated 2 parts: 1) The old witch looking down on you from the castle window, and 2) You see the back of the witch as she normally looks, and just as you pass her, she turns around and you see the old ugly witches face. Makes me kinda sad that they're removing it for a M&G at the tail end of FLE.

LoriMistress

The first ride I remember being scared on was HM. Even when I was a bit older (7-10). Something about that ride just got to me. But I looooovvvveeee this ride to this day.

Enchantâmes

The only ride to ever scare the daylights out of me was when I went on Countdown to Extinction the day after Animal Kingdom opened to the public before they supposedly "toned it down" and I came off the ride crying (I was 7 at the time).

R W B

Hearing all this about Countdown to Extinction makes me wish I had a chance to ride that. Rides like that dont scare me. Just roller coasters do, lol.

Matt and Kelly

For me it was Tower of Terror. The first time I rode it was in 2007 (I think) with my wife, well girl friend at that time, in California Adventure. She had already been on the ride during a previous trip but I was about 5 years between Disney trips and ToT was not around at that time.

I didn't know what to expect other than what little details she would tell me just to give me a slight idea of what the ride was like. When we strapped in I was a tad nervous as to what was going to happen.

The ride definitely didn't disappoint and quickly became a favorite of mine but I still get a little tickle in my stomach before we ride even though I know what to expect now!

rkelly42

It's a Small World, plain and simple. All those singing kids, so happy all the time, just was really creepy, and that song just would never leave my head. That is just scary.

Disneydreamer23

Original Poster
Dumbo LOL. I was little and scared of heights so I made him fly low the whole time but then at the end I had no idea that they MADE you go up and I freaked out!

Missions Space. I was older but I had no idea it was gonna make me that sick, I felt soo claustrophobic and the "weightless" sensation made me so dizzy, I thought for sure I was going to pass out or vomit. In fact, my friend next to me used her barf bag.

Maelstrom. Again, I was little and got scared when we went backwards.

Tower of Terror.

Dinosaur. Back then it was Countdown to Extinction and I think I was just too young for it.

aww dumbo that ride i liked the MOST when i was a child.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom