Which pavilion would you add to Epcot World Showcase?

Calvin Coolidge

The Sydney Opera House..................Oz would be better at the Studios, that movie raked in 80 million this weekend. wow.

There is no other modern architecture in WS. And what context could a (seriously scaled-down, to the point of ) Opera House fit in at a WS pavilion? Sydney looks like any American city, it could be Chicago or Baltimore or Philadelphia or St. Louis and no one would no the difference.

Maybe if it was JUST the Opera House and nothing else, AA-style, but I can't imagine that would go over too well around here.

litaljohn

There is no other modern architecture in WS. And what context could a (seriously scaled-down, to the point of ) Opera House fit in at a WS pavilion? Sydney looks like any American city, it could be Chicago or Baltimore or Philadelphia or St. Louis and no one would no the difference.

Maybe if it was JUST the Opera House and nothing else, AA-style, but I can't imagine that would go over too well around here.

what about the Royal exhibition center it's older, apparently one of the last of that architectural type standing in such a size. you could include the gardens around it which lends itself to more Disney creativity an space for their flower and garden festival and such. I think it'd be impressive to learn more than bad accents,dingos what a knife really looks like that everyone seems to instantly gravitate to. plus who are we kidding most Australians loathe it but you know Disney would love milking the fosters beer tap that would inevitably come packaged in the deal.

The Empress Lilly

I'm actually having a really hard time visualizing an Australia pavilion. One of the crucial things that ties together all the pavilions of World Showcase is a distinct and recognizable style of traditional architecture. What is that for Australia? I've spent a bit of time travelling around Australia and can't for the life of me think of anything distinct that could be reproduced in WS.

The second most important thing about a pavilion is the food. I am pessimistic about the possibility of crafting a menu for even one Australia-themed restaurant, much less two or three.

Oz seems like a much better fit for DAK, either an Outback area or a rainforest area.
I too would much prefer Oz in DAK. :)

But Australia does have recognisable architecture. Just not centuries old. But Canada managed, America managed. These are young countries too (to which I must add: with a long history before Western contact). How about Melbourne's fantastic Victorian architecture? You can go almost 'Main Street'-esque with it.

Although I think that Australia is best served with a pavilion comparable in character to Canada. After all, 'suburbs with some high rises near the beach' does seem to be the most distinguishing feature. So rather a few select buildings, an area that does justice to aboriginal culture, and a large portion with an emphasis on the outback - which is the most profound image of Australia both at home and abroad. Could be awesome!

We all know we love Australia and would love to see it at WS!

Calvin Coolidge

I too would much prefer Oz in DAK. :)

But Australia does have recognisable architecture. Just not centuries old. But Canada managed, America managed. These are young countries too (to which I must add: with a long history before Western contact). How about Melbourne's fantastic Victorian architecture? You can go almost 'Main Street'-esque with it.

Although I think that Australia is best served with a pavilion comparable in character to Canada. After all, 'suburbs with some high rises near the beach' does seem to be the most distinguishing feature. So rather a few select buildings, an area that does justice to aboriginal culture, and a large portion with an emphasis on the outback - which is the most profound image of Australia both at home and abroad. Could be awesome!

We all know we love Australia and would love to see it at WS!

I'm talking traditional architecture, though! Does the Victorian style of Melbourne scream "Australia" immediately to theme park guests? Melbourne, while a lovely place to live, isn't particularly interesting from a tourist's point of view. WS pavilions basically have to be archetypes of typical scenes you'd find in a 1980s travel agency brochure. Besides Sydney Harbor and the Great Barrier Reef, what people think about is, as you mentioned, the outback. There's no space in WS for anything that could come near to doing that justice. You're basically talking about a pavilion occupying more space than either GB or Canada. Where is there room for that? And even if you use the entire area between China and Germany, is a pavilion with no exciting food option going to be seen as worth taking up all that space?

The Empress Lilly

meanwhile_in_australia.jpg

The Empress Lilly

I'm talking traditional architecture, though! Does the Victorian style of Melbourne scream "Australia" immediately to theme park guests? Melbourne, while a lovely place to live, isn't particularly interesting from a tourist's point of view. WS pavilions basically have to be archetypes of typical scenes you'd find in a 1980s travel agency brochure. Besides Sydney Harbor and the Great Barrier Reef, what people think about is, as you mentioned, the outback. There's no space in WS for anything that could come near to doing that justice. You're basically talking about a pavilion occupying more space than either GB or Canada. Where is there room for that? And even if you use the entire area between China and Germany, is a pavilion with no exciting food option going to be seen as worth taking up all that space?
No worries, mate, that's what imagination is for!

If you can evoke Canada, Mexico or Japan on spaces half the size of a football field, then you can do the same with Australia. Take Ayer's rock, Sydney harbour, some British imperial architecture, add beer and barbeque, with just a pinch of rugger and cricket and a generous helping of bogan, and you are good to go!

DfromATX

I think a Brazil pavilion would be the most capacity capable pavillion put in WS so that way when those tour groups march their way to WDW they have a place to plant themselves and just immerse themselves in that land w/o disturbing the peace of other WDW guests.

As much as I would like that, the plan could backfire. Do you spend a lot of time at American Adventure? Probably not. Or if there were a Brazilian pavillion, it could actually attract more of them to the parks than there already are. o_O

meklein

A South American country would be logical. Brazil seems an obvious choice - distinct architecture and food, plus Disney could host carnival celebrations. Personally, I think Peru would be a better, though less obvious choice. I would LOVE Thailand (yum factor alone, but the beautiful Temples, architecture, culture - WOW!), but with Japan and China already represented, I think South America is a better choice. Australia? IMO, there are already three English speaking countries. :)

The Empress Lilly

Australia? IMO, there are already three English speaking countries. :)
Which ones? America speaks Spanish, Canada is French and Chinese, and the UK is a collection of mutually unintelligable dialects, few resembling English.

EPCOT needs more English, not less! Bring on Ireland and Oz! And throw in South Africa and New Zealand as well! (So we can have ourselves a rugger world cup... we'll have the Six and Tri nations!)

Goofnut1980

India or Russia... So here's a question for the masses... What happens the day that a country no longer wants to support the pavilion?? Does Disney take it over? Or are there contracts that state it has to be torn down?

aladdin2007

India or Russia... So here's a question for the masses... What happens the day that a country no longer wants to support the pavilion?? Does Disney take it over? Or are there contracts that state it has to be torn down?

It doesnt get torn down, when Norway bowed out back in 02-03 Disney took it over, and turned Akershus into Princessess and what not. So Disney basically assumes all responsibility and just decides to let it go to some extent (mildew-dust riddled maelstrom, no more waterfall outside, etc etc). Norway offered Disney a new film and everything, they didnt want it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom