Which one should we leave out?

SteveBrickNJ

Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios needs to be left out of our November 3 park vacation.
We are a family of three Me: 55 Wife: 43 Daughter: 16
Our last visit was 2015 and we only went to Magic Kingdom
But....we did have 3 visits before that .
Two of those three visits we did all 4 parks
One visit we eliminated Animal Kingdom.
Kindly consider using 2013 as a reference point........
What's new at Hollywood Studios since our last visit in 2013?
What's new at Animal Kingdom since our last visit in 2013?
We really have to stick to three parks in November and then head back to NJ.
I'm hoping this thread will help me decide which park I will leave out.
Thanks!
Steve
PS
I found Animal Kingdom to have less rides that interested me. The Nemo show with cast members holding fish on sticks does not interest me.
Yet, In Hollywood Studios the Chinese theater ride is good a couple of times, but if it is exactly the same today...well there is no element of surprise. Thoughts anyone??? :):cool::happy:

Last edited:

macefamily

HS is a congested mess with unbelievable wait times until Toystory Land and Star Wars open up. The only reason we made a stop at HS last year was to do ToT , Toystory, RR. Had a FP for ToT, but still our cumulative total of line standing was 2.5 hours. We also had reservations for lunch at Dine In Theater and dinner at Mama Melrose's. I probably would have gone to the park just for lunch and dinner !
AK is crazy because of the opening of Pandora. However, you have a few more options than HS at this point of time. Therefore, I would hit AK this trip and come back in a few years for your HS grand return.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
HS is a congested mess with unbelievable wait times until Toystory Land and Star Wars open up. The only reason we made a stop at HS last year was to do ToT , Toystory, RR. Had a FP for ToT, but still our cumulative total of line standing was 2.5 hours. We also had reservations for lunch at Dine In Theater and dinner at Mama Melrose's. I probably would have gone to the park just for lunch and dinner !
AK is crazy because of the opening of Pandora. However, you have a few more options than HS at this point of time. Therefore, I would hit AK this trip and come back in a few years for your HS grand return.
Very helpful feedback. Thank you ! ;)

Upvote 0

Tk0021

We have left out HS our past two trips ( 2016 and 2017) and went to AK instead. This year we have decided to go to HS instead of AK. We decided to skip AK and go to HS for something different to do and because of toy story land being opened before our trip. We didn’t go before because of all the construction.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I suppose there is no wrong choice. Whichever park I select will be enjoyable. WHAT IS EVERYONES FAVORITE DINNER SIT DOWN RESTAURANTS AT DHS AND AK????

Upvote 0

yensid67

Since DHS is a construction zone and limited attractions, I would opt to have Dinner reservation. My favorite, the only restaurant I ate at in DHS is Prime Time 50's! The food is good, just like Mom's! and the atmosphere is different! It's a show the kids what TV use to be like when you were a kid.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
How about other people. What are your favorite sit down restaurants at DHS. or AK?

We tried Sci Fi last time and liked it. The surprising thing is how quiet it is! You have the film clips playing, and the car seating means 2 people to a row. Maybe a combination of the two is why it's so quiet. It can be difficult to read the menu though, it's quite dark.

I don't think I've done TS @ AK - so can't comment.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Studios: 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi. We also had a good meal at Mama Melrose but haven't been there in quite awhile. We also enjoy the Brown Derby Lounge although it is only outdoors seating but the sliders are amazing.

Animal Kingdom: Tusker House is a good character buffet and we like Nomad Lounge. Nomad Lounge has a lot of appetizers that are good for sharing and the variety is good too.

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

I've heard Flame tree barbecue it the best place QS. I know you said TS but I thought I'd mention it. I've been wanting to try it for my last few visits but it doesn't seem to work out. My next trip is with my vegetarian daughter so i'm guessing I won't get to try it this year either. With the new quick service in Pandora I don't know if I'll ever get to try it.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I've heard Flame tree barbecue it the best place QS. I know you said TS but I thought I'd mention it. I've been wanting to try it for my last few visits but it doesn't seem to work out. My next trip is with my vegetarian daughter so i'm guessing I won't get to try it this year either. With the new quick service in Pandora I don't know if I'll ever get to try it.

Flame Tree is really good for quick service. The onion rings are actually my favorite which would be okay for a vegetarian. The ribs are excellent too. Satuli Canteen in Pandora is excellent. The make your own bowls are so good and there was so much food in the portions serving. My husband and I shared one and it left us stuffed! Oh and we got the chocolate cake thing there too, it is a darker chocolate so my husband didn't like it much so that meant I got to eat most of it!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Sci-Fi. We also had a good meal at Mama Melrose
My kids love the Sci-Fi diner, so much so, they pitched a fit when I told them I was going to cancel it. I had reworked my itinerary and that day is now being dedicated to MK, so instead of cutting that day a bit short and then heading over to Sci-Fi, we stay at MK. They wanted no no part of that. as for Mam Melrose, its good, I'm spoiled where I live where we have some top not italian restaurants, so much so, we have access to fresh, homemade pasta. Yet even so, Mama's is a good place

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

Flame Tree is really good for quick service. The onion rings are actually my favorite which would be okay for a vegetarian. The ribs are excellent too. Satuli Canteen in Pandora is excellent. The make your own bowls are so good and there was so much food in the portions serving. My husband and I shared one and it left us stuffed! Oh and we got the chocolate cake thing there too, it is a darker chocolate so my husband didn't like it much so that meant I got to eat most of it!
Satuli is definitely on our list for our trip this summer. I thought it would be a great place for my daughter. AND.... since both of us love dark chocolate I'll make sure and order some cake!!

Upvote 0

SAV

At AK, we love Flame Tree. In the past, I'd go over to Pizzafari for the kids and the DW & I would get the BBQ and sit in the outdoor area by Flame Tree. It so nice to sit down by the water. My DW also loves the Quick Service Yak & Yeti. Resaurantosaurus is also good QS.

We don't usually do Sit Down meals, but since the QS offerings in DHS are so bad, we do a 3pm sit down meal and snack in the evening. We have done Mama Melrose, 50's Prime Time and Sci-Fi. All were good. What I find funny is that our town still has fully operational Drive-in Theater, but I haven't been there since I was a kid. Heck, my kids haven't even been there and they're teenagers. Yet I go to Disney to a Restaurant themed for Drive In's.

Upvote 0

BenJacobs

Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios needs to be left out of our November 3 park vacation.
We are a family of three Me: 55 Wife: 43 Daughter: 16
Our last visit was 2015 and we only went to Magic Kingdom
But....we did have 3 visits before that .
Two of those three visits we did all 4 parks
One visit we eliminated Animal Kingdom.
Kindly consider using 2013 as a reference point........
What's new at Universal Studios since our last visit in 2013?
What's new at Animal Kingdom since our last visit in 2013?
We really have to stick to three parks in November and then head back to NJ.
I'm hoping this thread will help me decide which park I will leave out.
Thanks!
Steve
PS
I found Animal Kingdom to have less rides that interested me. The Nemo show with cast members holding fish on sticks does not interest me.
Yet, In Hollywood Studios the Chinese theater ride is good a couple of times, but if it is exactly the same today...well there is no element of surprise. Thoughts anyone??? :):cool::happy:

Go to Animal Kingdom, leave out Hollywood Studios.

Since you went in 2013, Hollywood Studios has been cut in half. The Great Movie Ride(in the Chinese Theatre) has now closed to make way for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway(which shouldn’t be open when you are there). Then the whole back section with the backlot tour and stunt show has gone to make way for Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land. Toy Story Land is opening June 30th this year, so it is open, but it’s only adding one medium sized coaster and a small ride, and the wait times will still be ridiculously long(3 hours all day) - so it’s really only useful if you plan to spend your entire day waiting in Toy Story Land(unless you somehow manage to get a fastpass for Slinky Dog Dash).

Anyway, even after Toy Story Land opens, the park will still not have that much to do. So I suggest Animal Kingdom.

Since 2013, they’ve got rid of Camp Minnie and Mickey and replaced it with Pandora: The World Of Avatar, which is new, and currently has massive wait times for the two rides(which are incredibly themed, along with the rest of the land), but those wait times will probably decrease after the main focus of newness shifts to Toy Story Land. Other than that one $500million development, not much has changed(the bird show is about to change to a show based on Up, there is a new night time show, and the park is open much later now - and I think they expanded the village in Africa), but it definitely has loads more to do than Hollywood Studios. You have to remember that Animal Kingdom isn’t just about the rides, I would point out the show, but you have pointed out your distaste for said attraction, but there are of course the animals. You have some brilliant rides, then there is Kilimanjaro Safaris, the Oasis exhibits, then the two walking paths where you see many animals - these are easily forgotten, but are actually really good(people think of Animal Kingdom only as a theme park, but there are loads of animals as well).

Upvote 0

disneygurl

Would you consider a park hopper ticket? That would allow you to do both parks. You wouldn't need that much time in Hollywood Studios. Toy Story Land will still be new, I am guessing that the lines will be long, but not for anything else. With good planning a half day is usually pretty sufficient for Hollywood Studios right now. In a perfect world you'd score a fastpass for Toy Story & either Rock n Rollercoaster or Tower of Terror. Then you'd be pretty set to enjoy your half day there & take in the major rides & sights. The thrill rides are pretty appealing to a 16 year old. You had mentioned the Great Movie Ride at Chinese theatre, unfortunately, that is closed forever. :(

There is a lot to do in Animal Kingdom. It is quite scenic and peaceful in some areas, like the wildlife hikes. It is a bit frantic in other areas like Pandora and Mount Everest. There is a great safari ride. The water raft ride is pretty fun too. It has a lot of appeal for a 16 year old. The restaurants are great. The music is great.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Every park is so unique. Every park is a magical experience.

Upvote 0

Nsaudra

We really enjoyed DHS, we are star wars fans and the crowds were light made it all the better. I have found if you come from a city with a good zoo then you are disappointed in AK.

Upvote 0

SteamboatJoe

Ideally, in your situation, I would get a park hopper and just do both. AK in the morning and DHS in the evening. If that is not an option and you think you will be back to WDW In the future, I would go to AK because of Pandora. I actually like DHS but would wait for it to be a complete park again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Go to Animal Kingdom, leave out Hollywood Studios.

Since you went in 2013, Hollywood Studios has been cut in half. The Great Movie Ride(in the Chinese Theatre) has now closed to make way for Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway(which shouldn’t be open when you are there). Then the whole back section with the backlot tour and stunt show has gone to make way for Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land. Toy Story Land is opening June 30th this year, so it is open, but it’s only adding one medium sized coaster and a small ride, and the wait times will still be ridiculously long(3 hours all day) - so it’s really only useful if you plan to spend your entire day waiting in Toy Story Land(unless you somehow manage to get a fastpass for Slinky Dog Dash).

Anyway, even after Toy Story Land opens, the park will still not have that much to do. So I suggest Animal Kingdom.

Since 2013, they’ve got rid of Camp Minnie and Mickey and replaced it with Pandora: The World Of Avatar, which is new, and currently has massive wait times for the two rides(which are incredibly themed, along with the rest of the land), but those wait times will probably decrease after the main focus of newness shifts to Toy Story Land. Other than that one $500million development, not much has changed(the bird show is about to change to a show based on Up, there is a new night time show, and the park is open much later now - and I think they expanded the village in Africa), but it definitely has loads more to do than Hollywood Studios. You have to remember that Animal Kingdom isn’t just about the rides, I would point out the show, but you have pointed out your distaste for said attraction, but there are of course the animals. You have some brilliant rides, then there is Kilimanjaro Safaris, the Oasis exhibits, then the two walking paths where you see many animals - these are easily forgotten, but are actually really good(people think of Animal Kingdom only as a theme park, but there are loads of animals as well).
Thank you!
We've pretty much decided to do a full day at Animal Kingdom

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom