which monorail resort would be best??

Rodneyt74

Hi all..

Got a question for any of you.. Going to disney in september and checked on some of september specials this morning.. I can get a tower room in Contemporary for sept. 10-17 for $255.00 a night or a wing room for $159.00 night Then in Grand Floridian a garden view for 259.00 a night.. or finally a polynesian garden view for 219.00... Just wanting to stay on monorail system so easy in and out of WDW. Which one do yall thing would be the best value for the room I will be getting or most enjoyable trip.. ????? any input would be appreciated.. Never stayed on any of monorail resorts .. always wanted to, but never could afford it.. but with deals they have got going for september hard to pass up..

Rodney

jcarriv

i would choose the Poynesian but If money isn't any concern I would take the Grand Floridian. Least desirable of those choices would be the Contemporary Wing Room.

Have Fun!!!

Upvote 0

SpectroMan

You cannot get better than the Grand Floridian. It is a very enchanting resort.

The architecture and interior design is the most beautiful at any resort, and the service is impecible.

Upvote 0

SilverStar

GF is not for everyone, It is not as kid friendly as the Poly.
Poly is great for kids.
Contemporary is OK, not so bad for kids, but the best part is the 5min walk to MK. You can walk there faster than taking the monorail.

Upvote 0

Rodneyt74

Original Poster
Thanks for suggestions...

It will just be me and my wife, so kids consideration isn't a big deal.. kind of our anniversary trip.. just a month or two late.. LOL wife couldn't get off on our anniversary, plus price is alot better in sept. than july. as of right now got a tower reservation with WDW view (but can change that up till 5 days before arrive, as long as something else is available) I figured watching fireworks would be really nice at night from balcony and just looking out window and seeing whole parks got to be really cool... but think going to choose between GF and Contempory tower.
Both would be a really nice trip, no doubt about that.. just can't decide.. always wanted to stay at contempory since I was little and rode through it on monorail. but G.F. seems like a nicer anniversary trip. Just hard to decided.. LOL so much disney and to few of trips.. LOL

Upvote 0

Moonshadow1

One thing to think about, with the Tower room the monorail station is in the same building. At the GF unless you are in the lodge building, there will be a walk to get to the station. If that matters to you.

Upvote 0

disneydawg

Rodneyt74,

If its an anniversiary trip then you might want to consider the Poly. I have never stayed there but they have a reputation for making special occasions even more special. I understand that the Contemp. may not be as elegant as you would like for an anniversiary but I think the Poly is a happy medium. Also, check out this website for more Poly info than you will ever need. I think the guy who runs it posts here.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I would tend to say if it is your anniversary, go all out and stay at the Grand Floridian...they put the wedding pavillion there for a reason :)

Upvote 0

Sloan

You can't go wrong

Fortunately, ANY of the 'monorail resorts' will be nice for you, but I'd agree with the others who said that for a special occasion, the Grand Floridian would be tough to beat. If there's any way you can fit Victoria & Albert's in to the budget, it's assured to be a very special trip. My second choice would be the Contemporary Tower room - with a romantic dinner at the California Grill. It's been quite a while since I've stayed at the Poly, but my memory is that it would be a better choice for a trip with kids. Whatever you select, congratulations, and enjoy!

Upvote 0

shuflemstr

I would stay at the Contemporary. When I stayed at the Poly last year it was a very long walk to get from the monorail to our room. Near the end of the trip we discovered it was a little shorter to walk from the TTC to our room. When you stay in the Contemporary you are a lot closer to your room which is good after doing a lot of walking.

Upvote 0

crazydaveh

I would stay at the Poly or the Contemp!

The Grand Floridian is too ritzy for my taste, and the few times I've stayed there, I felt out of place because I pulled up in a Jeep and not a Jaguar!

The Poly is fun for couples, the pool area is great! The Contemp access to the Magic Kingdom can't be beat! Like you said, so much Disney, so little time!

Good luck! Have fun!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

I think they are both great. When making your reservation, I would try to get a room with a view at each and weigh it out to see who has the best view available when you are wanting to go and pick that one.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
No Loosers Here

Well, luckily for you, I don't think you would loose with any of the three choices. My personal preference is the Poly. Just walking around the grounds is entertaining, the music and the torches at night.

When we go, it is an easy walk over to the Spa at GF for workouts and massages. I also agree with Sloan that for an anniversary, Victoria and Alberts is a wonderful experience (with a romantic walk through the Poly grounds before and after). Poly has nice moderate restaurants as well as a fun dinner show(see other discussions on this site). In other words, you can easily enjoy the best of both resorts while staying at the Poly. Poly also allows for a fairly easy walk to TTC for more flexible travel.

Contemporary is nice as well although I would only want the tower if I were to stay there. Restaurants are pretty crowded there and I really don't like California Grill...but that's another rant...

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Poly is our fav resort and we've stayed at all 3 monorail resorts. We love watching fireworks from the Poly beach. On Thursday we'll be leaving to spend 8 nights at Contemporary (we got an awesome rate). Contemporary is our second choice. Grand Flo was nice too, we just prefer the island atmosphere of the Poly.

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

I would also have to say that staying at the GF is not for everyone. I would rather stay at the All Star Sports 10 to 1. But that is just me. The GF just doesn't feel Disney to me. But, no doubt, it's the only place for some people to stay.

I have always wanted to stay in the Contemporary tower. I just like the atmosphere better. But the Polynesian is also nice. The only thing about the Polynesian for me is that it feels VERY 70's-ish. I wouldn't mind staying there once, but my personal choice would have to be Contemporary tower.

Upvote 0

tikiman

I say go for the Polynesian. Reasons I believe it is better than the GF:

The transportation cannot be beat at any resort. You have Monorail access, boat access and you are walking distance to the TTC for the monorail to Epcot which no other resort has. You are not last in line for the bus to the resorts (WL, Polynesian than GF) and the busses are sometimes full before they get to the GF. You can even walk next door and get on the big ferry over to the MK.

The water slide at the new pool blows away either the pool at the GF or the Contemporary. All lagoon views at the Polynesian face the Magic Kingdom unlike many of the rooms at the GF do not face the Magic Kingdom.

Even the smallest standard room is larger than the standard room at the GF. Most rooms have been redone in the last year.

Largest and nicest beach out of the monorail resorts.

Rated #1 for repeat guests (Disney's own numbers)

And by the way the Wedding Pavilion is closer to the Polynesian than the GF so it is not the reason it was built there.

Those some of the reasons I like the Polynesian better but it all depends on what theme you want to be surrounded by.

Aloha

Steve

Upvote 0

wdwfreak425

I agree i had poly tahiti loaggon view and it was great. You could see wishes everynight and the mountains. MK was closed the 22-27 ( mcdonalds grad nite) so we got to see wishes anyway.

Upvote 0

Scooter

All 3 are great resorts but each has it's own feel and atmosphere.

I didn't like staying at the Grand Floridian. I, like others, felt out of place there. I felt like I had to wash my hands and wipe my feet before I entered this resort. :lol:

My wife and I don't care much for eating at upscale restaurants while on vacations. Don't get me wrong..the GF has some of the best dining on property I've heard ,but we just don't like to dress up to go out to eat while on vacation.

The Polynesian is a great resort for couples. The tropical theming is awesome and the room are huge. This resort also has some great dining facilities and you don't have to dress up to go to them. Captain Cooks is great too for a quick snack.
The only problem we had with the Polynesian resort is that some of the longhouses are very far from the Main Building. (The Great Ceremonial House)
and if it's raining you might get soaked. The plus is it's a short walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center so you can avoid the monorail crowds at busy times of the day.

The Contemporary is our favorite because of the short walk to The Magic Kingdom. If you get a Tower room the views are spectacular from either side. The Contemporary also has some great shopping and some of the best dining on property. Avoid Chef Mickeys if you have no kids and don't like noise though. My wife and I went there once and it was a mad house. :lol:

Upvote 0

Rodneyt74

Original Poster
Thanks for all help and suggestions!!!!

Thanks for all help eveyone.. I finally made decision on where to stay. book them and made deposit this morning. Took little idea from another post made about same time as mine. Decided to split the stay up.. Staying at contemporary for first 4 days so we can go to WDW on Monorail and walk to MGM. Then moving to BWV to 1 bedroom villia for last 4 days so go to Epcot and MGM on the boats or walk to them. Think have best of all worlds then..

Thanks again for all help.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom