Which is the safer option at this point???

Laura

Premium Member
To drive or to fly, that is the question.

I'm really conflicted over this. I leave for Disney in exactly 3 weeks. All along we have been planning to drive. I am not really concerned about the cost of gas, but the availability. I'll need 4 full tanks to get there and back.

But on the other hand, if we flew, there's the possibility of Orlando airport closing now??

So which is the safer bet at this point?

I did the calculations and found I could fly my family of 4 roundtrip instead of drive, and stay another night at Poly (Lagoon view) and spend another full day in Disney for only $300 more than the cost of not having that extra night and day and having to drive each way. The problem is I think I'd lose my mind having to use Magical Express and bus transportation for 11 days, so a rental car would be another $300 on top of that.

Anyway, I'm just trying to decide what is the safest option. I'd have to decide quickly as we are leaving in only 3 weeks!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Laura22 said:
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and opinions. Helps me so much!

I talked everything over with my husband and we've decided to stick to the original plan of driving. I like the idea of never letting gas get below half a tank, that should give us plenty of leeway.

But, after doing all my figuring I figured out I could still stay an extra night at Poly with the Lagoon view for only $133 more! So I called Disney and added another day to my trip. I'm so excited!

I just hope the gas situation will get better soon!

I think it will get back down to the 2.75 area before the end of the year....that being said, I have revised our Disney Budget to reflect $4.00 per gallon, just to be on the safer side.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Laura22 said:
Thank you all so much for your thoughts and opinions. Helps me so much!

I talked everything over with my husband and we've decided to stick to the original plan of driving. I like the idea of never letting gas get below half a tank, that should give us plenty of leeway.

But, after doing all my figuring I figured out I could still stay an extra night at Poly with the Lagoon view for only $133 more! So I called Disney and added another day to my trip. I'm so excited!

I just hope the gas situation will get better soon!

Well you have decided to drive, here are some tips that worked for me a few years ago, get the car a proper and complete tuneup, including a fuel filter, go to your local supermarket and buy at least 5 bottles of the off brand gas additive, believe it or not I find it adds at least 5 to 7 miles a gallon or more, even if the gas has ethenol. When I say this take it to heart, clean the car, vacum and get a good wax, the less wind resistance and weight the less fuel is used. And before you leave put what some mechanics call oil honey into the oil, it makes the oil stronger and won't break down so quickly. Also, 55 to 60 is the perfect speed for conserving gas, so if you have cruise control use it, and if you don't, on the down side of hills coast. I have a meter on my truck that tells me how many miles per gallon I'm using, so when I coast it shoots right up. Keep all windows closed and the air on low, when the windows are opened it causes resistance, believe me these worked for me and I drove at least 1500 miles one way a few years ago.:animwink: :animwink:
PS: tires, I forgot tires, make sure you check the pressure when the tires are cold, that is the true pressure, then add if you need to.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Craig & Lisa said:
Well you have decided to drive, here are some tips that worked for me a few years ago, get the car a proper and complete tuneup, including a fuel filter, go to your local supermarket and buy at least 5 bottles of the off brand gas additive, believe it or not I find it adds at least 5 to 7 miles a gallon or more, even if the gas has ethenol. When I say this take it to heart, clean the car, vacum and get a good wax, the less wind resistance and weight the less fuel is used. And before you leave put what some mechanics call oil honey into the oil, it makes the oil stronger and won't break down so quickly. Also, 55 to 60 is the perfect speed for conserving gas, so if you have cruise control use it, and if you don't, on the down side of hills coast. I have a meter on my truck that tells me how many miles per gallon I'm using, so when I coast it shoots right up. Keep all windows closed and the air on low, when the windows are opened it causes resistance, believe me these worked for me and I drove at least 1500 miles one way a few years ago.:animwink: :animwink:
PS: tires, I forgot tires, make sure you check the pressure when the tires are cold, that is the true pressure, then add if you need to.

Awesome info. I didnt even think about the gas additive.....also, waxing the car...

Upvote 0

Steve4wdw

I'm actually VERY surprised no one else has come up with this solution...to me it seems the best anyway. I say fly out and then take Tiffany Town Car. If you have 4 people the car only costs you $89 round trip. They pick you up at the airport and are waiting for you, you have a private car to the hotel, and they pick you up and bring you back. It's cheaper than what mears used to be, and it's a thousand times more efficient. And if you want, they'll do a grocery stop for you to on the way in. It's an amazing deal. Check out www.tiffanytowncar.com and if you want you can get a $5.00 coupon from www.wdwig.com. But $89 without having to worry about the price of gas in florida seems much more reasonable than trying to rent a car. :) just my advice.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Steve4wdw said:
I'm actually VERY surprised no one else has come up with this solution...to me it seems the best anyway. I say fly out and then take Tiffany Town Car. If you have 4 people the car only costs you $89 round trip. They pick you up at the airport and are waiting for you, you have a private car to the hotel, and they pick you up and bring you back. It's cheaper than what mears used to be, and it's a thousand times more efficient. And if you want, they'll do a grocery stop for you to on the way in. It's an amazing deal. Check out www.tiffanytowncar.com and if you want you can get a $5.00 coupon from www.wdwig.com. But $89 without having to worry about the price of gas in florida seems much more reasonable than trying to rent a car. :) just my advice.

Um, you can kiss that price good bye.....it will go up if gas does not come back down soon.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

hakunamatata said:
Awesome info. I didnt even think about the gas additive.....also, waxing the car...
also when you clean the car wipe down the inside of the doors, dirt collects there and wax too, that's one place that rust starts before the rest of the outside.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Laura, I would FOR SURE fly! If Southwest has a deal right now, hop right on it before it's history, because I'll bet that price won't last too long. Travel is always a risk, especially when you're flying to Florida in hurricane season. (I speak here from personal concern, because I'm flying to Orlando with my Dad in the end of September. There are no guarantees that the weather will be hurricane-free, but we're willing to take our chances!) Do what other have suggested and purchase the travel insurance.

Drive or fly, have a great time! :wave:

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

Add me to the list of people who would tell you to fly! Driving has never really been an option for me, but I really didn't mind my experience with DME at all two days ago. I also had two resort-to-resort transfers that I needed to make, and what we did instead was take a cab to the resort in question (say, from the AKL to the WL and AKL to Contemporary for two dinners), go to MK for fireworks and then head back "home" afterwards. The cabs were safe and reliable and cost less than $20 each... MUCH LESS THAN A RENTAL CAR!!

And while I found that the bus service to the non MK parks for the MK resorts was somewhat lacking, that is only in comparison to my awesome experiences with AKL transport!!

Bottom line: fly! Someone else gets to worry about gas for a week AND you get an additional night at WDW!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom