Which is a better deal?

Jessie&Buzz

We are starting to save $$ for an upcoming trip (won't be for a while though). My dh wants to stay at Shades of Green to save $$. I know that we can get discounted tickets there (or at our base here). We have stayed there before and loved it. My only problem with it is that you can't use the dining plan. I say that we stay at a moderate and get a package. Does anyone know which is better?

Thanks!

lilclerk

We are starting to save $$ for an upcoming trip (won't be for a while though). My dh wants to stay at Shades of Green to save $$. I know that we can get discounted tickets there (or at our base here). We have stayed there before and loved it. My only problem with it is that you can't use the dining plan. I say that we stay at a moderate and get a package. Does anyone know which is better?

Thanks!

I think Shades of Green is a deluxe-quality hotel, just without Disney themeing. But if you know how much you will save at SoG with discounted tickets, is that more or less than the cost of the DDP for all of you?

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

"Better"? or less $$? We stayed at SOG in March, bought our tickets there and paid out of pocket for food. It was definitely less money than paying full rack rates at a Disney moderate, buying tickets and dining plan. You could save some money by only buying a one day park ticket to make your stay qualify for a "package' (so you can purchase the dining plan), then go to SOG to puchase the remainder of your tickets with the SOG discount. But.. for money saving purposes it is without a doubt cheaper to stay at SOG unless.. (you knew there would be an "unless"!) you go during a time when there is a discount package or "free dining" promotion being run. At that point, you would need to pull out the calculator and run the numbers.

Now, for BETTER! IMHO, while SOG is nice, it is by no means a "Disney" resort and I personally enjoy staying on property over SOG. At SOG you have access to EMH, but no charging privileges outside of the resort and no Magical Express. And the theming is, well... there is no theming. But you know that, you've stayed there. :lol: So my input would be save up and spurge on the package at the moderate (POR is my fave), and hope for a discount or your package to save a little more $$!

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

"Better"? or less $$? We stayed at SOG in March, bought our tickets there and paid out of pocket for food. It was definitely less money than paying full rack rates at a Disney moderate, buying tickets and dining plan. You could save some money by only buying a one day park ticket to make your stay qualify for a "package' (so you can purchase the dining plan), then go to SOG to puchase the remainder of your tickets with the SOG discount. But.. for money saving purposes it is without a doubt cheaper to stay at SOG unless.. (you knew there would be an "unless"!) you go during a time when there is a discount package or "free dining" promotion being run. At that point, you would need to pull out the calculator and run the numbers.

Now, for BETTER! IMHO, while SOG is nice, it is by no means a "Disney" resort and I personally enjoy staying on property over SOG. At SOG you have access to EMH, but no charging privileges outside of the resort and no Magical Express. And the theming is, well... there is no theming. But you know that, you've stayed there. :lol: So my input would be save up and spurge on the package at the moderate (POR is my fave), and hope for a discount or your package to save a little more $$!

I totally agree because she is right. I'll add that I had rather stay at a Disney resort and pay a little more. It's just worth it to me. We used the dining plan and we loved it so that is another reason to stay at Disney. If you watch carefully, you should be able to find a discount with Disney. :)

Upvote 0

PilotWife

I have stayed at Shades, and while very nice, I do prefer Disney resorts also. BUT, you know you can make your reservation and if there are no rooms available at Shades for your dates, you can ask to be put at a Disney resort. Reservations will ask which resort and you go from there. And it is a reduced rate, through Disney. If you are daring enough wait until Shades is full ( you can tell this by their reservations calender on their website) and call for a reservation, then ask about Disney rooms.

Jennifer

Upvote 0

aubs42

We are going in the middle of September. When I looked at the numbers I figured we would pay double the price to stay in a moderate and get the dinning plan. Shades of Green is a wonderful resort and we loved staying there last time we visited.

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

Original Poster
Thank you guys! That is what I was looking for. IMO I'd rather have a themed resort and the Magical Express and dining plan. I think we just need to talk it out when the time comes to book.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

In Nov. of last year my brother-in-law who is in the AF checked into the prices and found that there really is not much of a savings at SOG or the discounts that the military gets tickets. We went to SOG to see if the PX was good for getting groceries, we were at OKW, but the PX, or their idea was about the size of a value resort room. The resort is very nicely set up, but you would never know that you were on Disney property. The one thing that I did notice is, that even though it is for the military, it seemed that the only military that was there were officers and their grandchildren. It was also very strangly quiet, and you seemed like if you made noise they would give you the laser eyes.

Upvote 0

mousefan1972

I have stayed at Shades, and while very nice, I do prefer Disney resorts also. BUT, you know you can make your reservation and if there are no rooms available at Shades for your dates, you can ask to be put at a Disney resort. Reservations will ask which resort and you go from there. And it is a reduced rate, through Disney. If you are daring enough wait until Shades is full ( you can tell this by their reservations calender on their website) and call for a reservation, then ask about Disney rooms.

Jennifer

Great idea, we did this a few times prior to the SOG expansion in 2004 and we got some ridiculously low rates at a Disney moderate. Now it's tough to pull it off, because now SOG has well over 500 rooms and doesn't completely fill up very often. If you go during a really busy time (i.e. Christmas-New Year's), you might luck out and get an "overflow" room at a Disney moderate for less than the price of a value! Whatever you decide, have a great vacation!:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom