Which hotel with little ones?

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
My boys are also 3 and 6. The thing we take into consideration is where we’ll spend the most time, which tends to be MK and somewhat lesser extent, Epcot (the older one loves TT!) for us. We have stayed at Pop Century in the past (when my older one was around 2-3 yo), but I don’t think it fazed him much. It’s cool looking but our biggest complaint was the bus situation-it’s hard if that’s your only transportation option. You could also rent a car to lug them, their stuff, stroller (if one or both need it), etc. The bus situation isn’t easy with a stroller or carrying tired kids. But, if you’re prepared, it’s still a viable option. When using DVC, we exclusively stay at Bay Lake Tower or Grand Floridian Villas, and we prefer to do so for the ease of use with the monorail, walking between resorts/MK, food choices, etc., just as others have said. I’m not sure how much theming the standard Contemporary rooms have, but the resort itself is pretty neat, and unique in the sense that the monorail runs through it. Plus, the walk to the MK is relatively short...which again, for us, is where we spend the most time. Due to the young age, the other big thing: taking a midday break, which is necessary for our kiddos. When you’re at the Contemporary, it’s easy to go back and forth between the MK. We sometimes will drive (we always rent a car) to AK or HS for the morning, take a break at the hotel, and then can spend the evening easily at the MK with a simple walk or short monorail ride. That, IMHO, is what makes the Contemporary well worth it.

One thing: would you consider swapping your stay in Kissimmee first, and stay at the WDW on the back leg of the trip? Perhaps it can make it something the kids can look forward to...or a special surprise 😁

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

The Contemporary is a wonderful choice when traveling with children. Our best trips when our kids were younger involved stays at the Contemporary. Why?

1. The room size leaves you lots of space for all of the extra stuff you often have to bring for little kids.
2. We tended to spend more time at MK when our kids were younger and being able to walk to MK is more convenient than the monorail and boat options at the GF and Poly. I know some may say it's a wash, but for me...when it was nap time or bed time, it was really nice not to be waiting on transportation of any kind. i.e. my own two feet could get be back to my resort in a very reasonable amount of time.

There are other convenience factors it shares with the other monorail resorts, but those put it ahead of the others for me.

My kids loved the Contemporary. Yes, they thought some of the fun themes at the values were cute, but slides in their pool and being right near the park sort of trumped all of that...even for them. Mind you, the Contemporary's pool is probably my least fave of all of the deluxe resorts (and even the mods), but it has a slide...and that seems to be the major draw for my kids. Plus, being at a resort where you can actually see the castle and the fireworks balances out that Disney vibe.

As for other options, my children really liked staying at AKL (more than WL), but the rooms are smaller and we found having a bunk bed room to free up a little space was the only way to make that feel really comfy for us. It doesn't have the convenience of the Contemporary, but it's probably the best themed resort and it's cool having the animals right outside of your window. The Epcot resorts have bigger rooms than AKL and WL, but smaller than the monorail resorts. Still, you get all of the convenience of being right near Epcot and DHS. I have a kiddo who is afraid of clowns, so BWI is not usually a consideration. We've stayed at YC and didn't like it, but we like the vibe of BC and you get Stormalong, which is arguably the best resort pool (even if I hate sand).

slappy magoo

My kids loved the Contemporary. Yes, they thought some of the fun themes at the values were cute, but slides in their pool and being right near the park sort of trumped all of that...even for them. Mind you, the Contemporary's pool is probably my least fave of all of the deluxe resorts (and even the mods), but it has a slide...and that seems to be the major draw for my kids. Plus, being at a resort where you can actually see the castle and the fireworks balances out that Disney vibe.

While the two pools at Contemporary aren't exactly a feast for the eyes themselves, the view of Bay Lake from the pools is so lovely, I think it trumps a lot of attempts at theming at other pools. I know other pools, even themed pools, also have nice views, but with a view that nice I don't think you necessarily need a pool to have a theme.

DISR

Been making this decision myself for the last 9 years with kids now 9 and 4. If theming is most important to you, I like Wilderness or AK lodge. If convenience is most important, Poly or Beach/Yacht Club. Poly has direct access to both Monorail lines (via adjacent TTC) and two boat routes. Very easy to get to MK and EPCOT. Beach/Yacht split the time difference between MK and AK and are right next to EPCOT and DHS. I tend to prefer the indoor spaces and convenience of the Deluxe hotels with small kids vs the exterior entrances and longer walks of the moderates and values. Overall I would recommend convenience for very young children. Obviously this is all subjective and you can have a great vacation at any of the resorts. If money is really no object, we have gotten concierge level in the past and left the kids asleep in the room with a baby monitor and enjoyed the lounge. Obviously this depends on the proximity of your room to the lounge and the range of your monitor. As the kids get older, we may try to save money and do more moderates/values, but the Deluxe Resorts are pretty nice in both theming and location.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
You can't go wrong with any Disney resort, seriously they're all very good. The value resorts are more colorful and theming is more over the top, so younger kids may prefer them a bit more. I'd say the All stars, AoA or PoP are ones that would be on my short list.

Dave B

I second this. Kids have no frame of reference about this kind of stuff. We have stayed at numerous WDW hotels with our kids, including the Contemporary and they enjoyed EVERY SINGLE TRIP. It did not matter to them what hotel we were in, just that we were at WDW. All of the resorts there are good for kids.
Well I would have to disagree with this one, we are planning and changing our Thanksgiving reservations a lot right now as it seems inventory is opening up and I was asking my 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter what they would rather do. Wilderness and close to Disney OR Suite at All Star Music and they both said without a hesitation, ALL STAR, I was like ugh, but that is what THEY want, yes I am paying, but it is more about them than me. Yes I will have a great time, but it is so much more important to me that they really enjoy every moment and have no second thoughts.

slappy magoo

Well I would have to disagree with this one, we are planning and changing our Thanksgiving reservations a lot right now as it seems inventory is opening up and I was asking my 14 year old son and 12 year old daughter what they would rather do. Wilderness and close to Disney OR Suite at All Star Music and they both said without a hesitation, ALL STAR, I was like ugh, but that is what THEY want, yes I am paying, but it is more about them than me. Yes I will have a great time, but it is so much more important to me that they really enjoy every moment and have no second thoughts.
But if you hadn't given them the choice...if you just said "guess what guys we are going to Disney and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge" would they have pitched a fit? Thrown a tantrum? Refused to go?

Though I will admit at least the suite makes sense, most teens and tweens probably would want some more personal space from mom and dad.

correcaminos

Hi there, hoping for some help from the experts! We are a family of four travelling from Scotland in July 2019, first time with our kids who will be 6 and 3. We’re staying on property for the first 5 night, to be ‘closer to the magic’, take advantage of free dining plan and just make the kids’ first trip extra special. After that we’re in a Kissimmee villa for 9 nights. We’re torn between staying at the Contemporary or one of the more kiddie friendly hotels like Art of Animation or Pop Century. I love the idea of being so close to MK at the CR - but would the kids be missing out on the magic of one of the more fun hotels? We’re planning to visit Orlando every few years, but want to nail this first trip! Feel like we’ll already be asking a lot of two little boys with the heat, park trekking and general fun overload, so keen for things to be as easy and stress free as possible while we’re staying on property. Any advice much appreciated!
IMO no. Plus I don't feel that those resorts are really more fun than the others. Every level of resort appeals to some and while the values have huge icons all over the resorts, it doesn't mean they are more fun.

I personally think with a 3 and 6 yo your idea of being closer to parks they will be spending a lot of time at is a *very* smart thing. It will give you more freedom to come and go and relax. My son was 3 when we stayed at Bay Lake at the Contemporary and he absolutely loved it. With all the activities and such it was so much fun for him. The ability to nap in the afternoon was a bonus.

Dave B

But if you hadn't given them the choice...if you just said "guess what guys we are going to Disney and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge" would they have pitched a fit? Thrown a tantrum? Refused to go?

Though I will admit at least the suite makes sense, most teens and tweens probably would want some more personal space from mom and dad.
So I didn't give them a choice at first, I did say we were staying at Wilderness and there was not much excitement, so I went back in and found the suite an then asked them again what they wanted to do and there was no hesitation and big smiles

OneofThree

So I didn't give them a choice at first, I did say we were staying at Wilderness and there was not much excitement, so I went back in and found the suite an then asked them again what they wanted to do and there was no hesitation and big smiles

We can paint selfish any way we want to try, and we can even tried to hide the fact from our kids. At the end of the day though, the only one we're really fooling is ourselves. Prolly shouldn't have had kids in the first place. Worst of it might be that we make even more self-centered human beings that way. :rolleyes:

slappy magoo

But they still would have gone.

slappy magoo

We can paint selfish any way we want to try, and we can even tried to hide the fact from our kids. At the end of the day though, the only one we're really fooling is ourselves. Prolly shouldn't have had kids in the first place. Worst of it might be that we make even more self-centered human beings that way. :rolleyes:
Wow, your kids gave you back your screens so soon? After you didn't answer the question I posed on Monday, I assumed they were just really busy with your phone and tablet and laptop leaving you bereft of a way to communicate with the outside world. Which is of course the sacrifice all good parents would make.
Assuming of course those devices are yours, and not theirs in the first place and they only let you use them when they're not excelling in all of their other endeavors. Sacrifice!

But again, I fail to see how the adults picking the hotel the family will stay in - on a trip to Disney World that the adults are paying for - constitutes selfishness that apparently borders on abuse based on your replies. Perhaps your super smart psychologist spouse can explain it, because you sure can't.

Dave B

Y
But they still would have gone.
You are getting away from the discussion and trying to justify or WIN, that is not where I was going with it, I was just stating that I didn't agree with what you posted, no winners or losers, just replies to the statement my man, they(the kids) will go if we were to stay off site or even have to drive an hour each way, but that is not what we were chatting about

OneofThree

I fail to see how the adults picking the hotel the family will stay in - on a trip to Disney World that the adults are paying for - constitutes selfishness that apparently borders on abuse based on your replies.

It's pretty simple. OP is planning a trip to WDW, for their children -imagine that? :eek: When they asked for advice on how best to do that, your response was basically that they should do what you do -consider your own preferences first. Selfish. Easy.

slappy magoo

Y

You are getting away from the discussion and trying to justify or WIN, that is not where I was going with it, I was just stating that I didn't agree with what you posted, no winners or losers, just replies to the statement my man, they(the kids) will go if we were to stay off site or even have to drive an hour each way, but that is not what we were chatting about
I truly respectfully disagree. You were responding to a post from @jaklgreen saying kids will enjoy a stay no matter what hotel it's in.

You disagreed there because you gave your kids a choice between a Suite in a Value and a room in a Deluxe and they preferred the Suite in a Value*...but you're also admitting that they'll go to WDW no matter where you choose to stay, you just opted to give them a preference.

What my argument is - which really doesn't have much to do with you but I'm using points you made to illustrate my own - is this: As the grownup paying for the trip, you're within your rights to choose where the family will stay.

For that matter, you're within your rights to decide which parks you go to and when. You're within the rights to tell your kids "you may be tall enough to ride this ride but I still don't think you should ride it." You're within your rights to tell your kids when it's time to go back to the room, whether it's for a rest or for the night. You can pick the restaurants and if all you want to do is eat at Turf Club, the kids have to like it or lump it.

Because they are the kids, you are the grownup and even though it's Disney, you set the rules for your kids until they are old enough to take care of themselves.

I'm fine never eating at Chef Mickey's ever again, I feel like every trip the food gets worse and worse, but we make it a point to go every trip because I know the kids want it. Now that my oldest is 10 I shudder to think of how much other character breakfasts will be in order to get in parks early, but we'll still do them. I'd rather be a park commando, but my wife AND the girls prefer rests and pool time.

But my wife and I also prefer a separate bedroom for us. We prefer laundry in the room. And we love having 2 bathrooms. So we often stick to BLT and, now that the kids have tried it against their will and - surprise - loved it, Kidani Village. And if they ever pitched a fit because they'd rather stay somewhere else - which they did, over the aforementioned Kidani Village - I reminded them WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD. I reminded them about all the cool things we would be doing, what we'd ride, what we'd see, and that no one ever gets 100% of what they want, an important lesson we all need to be reminded of once in a while. And we've never ever had a bad trip.

EDIT: * And how much of your kids' preference for a Suite at a Value has to do with them being older and thus at an age where privacy matters more to them? As opposed to the OP whose kids are younger and who is trying to figure out which resort would give them the most "Disney Magical" experience, which is going to vary from person to person?

Last edited:

slappy magoo

It's pretty simple. OP is planning a trip to WDW, for their children -imagine that? :eek: When they asked for advice on how best to do that, your response was basically that they should do what you do -consider your own preferences first. Selfish. Easy.
Nope. Not selfish at all. Clearly your psychologist spouse is the smart one in the family.
Because no mater how much of the trip is planned for your children, it's also a trip for the grownups. No family member should ever get 100% of what they want. I emphasize want because you seem to have a problem understanding the difference between a "want" and a "need." Which is probably why so many people used to find "My Super Sweet 16" so entertaining.

A child might have a preference for the look of Art of Animation or Pop. But if the parent prefers a bigger room or a better location or more onsite amenities, then the parent is allowed to make that choice. And the kids, being the kids, go long with it.

Let's face it, if you were a kid and wanted to go to WDW for vacation but your parents wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, you're essentially saying your parents were monsters for not accommodating your wishes. Which might explain a lot, actually.

As I wrote above, most of my planning revolves around what I think my kids might want, what my wife might want, and then I think about what I might want, which is why in the past after the kids were in bed, my wife would tell me to take advantage of EMHs and go on attractions my kids were too small and/or too scared to try (now they want to try pretty much everything and the right size to do it). But if they ever asked me if we could stay in AoA instead of BLT...first I'd ask them who are they and what did they do with my children, because my kids love BLT. But then I'd tell them "Guys, we spend most of our time in Magic Kingdom, it's great to be able to walk or monorail over to Magic Kingdom. We like being able to do laundry throughout the trip, so we don't have to take an afternoon in the middle of the trip to do laundry. We like being closer to so many restaurants. Sorry, we're staying at Bay Lake." And that's not monstrous. It's not abusive. It's being a parent and making decisions. And my fondest hope is that your children never find out just how much you're willing to sacrifice your own needs above their wants, because man will you ever be screwed.

My job prevents me from being home until 7:30-8 at night if I'm lucky. My hours are crazy and can be crazier with little to no notice. My wife has to do all of the weekday schlepping to sports and play rehearsal and dance and martial arts and play dates. And her idea of a vacation is relaxation, which is most certainly not a WDW trip. So if the sacrifice my kids have to make for us to better enjoy a trip to WDW is letting mom and dad have a bigger bed and a washer and dryer at the expense of a pool where you can hear music underwater, by all means, brand me a bad parent.

OneofThree

Because no mater how much of the trip is planned for your children, it's also a trip for the grownups.

And. . . . .there it is. You can't even grasp the concept. Guessing that many of the thousands upon thousands who take their kids to AOA would tell you the same.

No family member should ever get 100% of what they want. I emphasize want because you seem to have a problem understanding the difference between a "want" and a "need."

1532623669226.png
You really need to stick to what's actually been written here, as opposed to the nonsense of "want vs need" and any sort of "abuse". Regardless, planning a trip for the kids doesn't need to have to do with what anything they "want". My kids never ask for anything and are thankful for everything. They'd never complain about where we take them or not, but that fact has nothing to do with my whether I'm selfish about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom