Which hotel price area is best? (Value, Moderate, Deluxe)

Moderate, Value, or Deluxe

• Value

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Moderate

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Deluxe

Votes: 35 46.1%

• Total voters

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Yeah, yet another Deluxe Snob here. I fell in love with the convenience of the YC/BC. I'm checking out the Contemporary next month and, while I loved my stay at AKL, I probably won't be back due to the location. Though, I went to the All Star Music in Highschool and had a blast, at that point we were gone from open til close so it was perfect for that. Now, I love to lounge by the pool mid afternoon and my husband can take a nap. You'd think we were old but we're in our 20's and take it slow in the parks lol.

wannabeBelle

I think that the Mods are the best combo of theming amenities and pricing. Do I love me some Deluxe resorts, of course who wouldn't?? But if I am going alone or a more moderately priced trip with friends, the Mods are my go to category every time. The Deluxe prices even splitting a room with someone aren't inexpensive. Marie

Disney Lover Addie

Original Poster
I once stayed at the Dolphin, at the Swan and Dolphin Hotel. I didn’t like it as much as the Grand Floridan (The one I normally stay at) for it didn’t feel as magical. The main thing I liked about it was the location. I could easily walk to Epcot and go on Test Track with no wait. I could also go to HS and knockout the best rides (Back when HS actually has attractions open). I had to take a bus to AK, and most annoyingly MK. That was the only time I didn’t stay at the Grand Floridan at concierge level. I just found it more magical. It’s also great with the little snacks they give you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seconded, the most I've paid for a moderate is $220 a night. That's not too much more than Value and a lot less screaming children running around. Yes please. <3

But again...that is not the current price...

And if you’re talking discounts, deluxes can be had through wholesalers for 50% off per night at certain times...that is a way better deal than 30% off a moderate.

I’m also unclear as to where this phenomenon of no kids at moderates exists...perhaps sometimes at port Orleans...but the others are loaded.

And as others have pointed out: they are more spread out - creating the illusion of “less kids”

Saratoga and old key west are loaded with kids but the space deafens the noise.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Excellent point, and yet you're holding the moderates to the vastly overpaying prices? Hm? <3

I am...in my not insignificant experience behind the scenes and looking at the resort prices and revenue...yes - the moderates are the most overpriced penny for penny.

But...the caveat is that things are still changing...they obviously will dump the price structure altogether and then this is moot. Caribbean will be as much as wilderness lodge in 2 years....the others will follow.

Missing_Aria

But again...that is not the current price...

And if you’re talking discounts, deluxes can be had through wholesalers for 50% off per night at certain times...that is a way better deal than 30% off a moderate.

I’m also unclear as to where this phenomenon of no kids at moderates exists...perhaps sometimes at port Orleans...but the others are loaded.

And as others have pointed out: they are more spread out - creating the illusion of “less kids”

Saratoga and old key west are loaded with kids but the space deafens the noise.

Actually it is, we have a trip coming up in a couple of months and that's what we paid per night. It's not no kids but it is usually less kids because a lot of families with kids are typically looking to save a buck and stay in value. Don't even get me started on school groups and Pop Warner. And, as you pointed out, with the resorts being more spread out (and immersive) you don't notice the ones that are there as much adding illusion to the actual lower numbers.

I'm disabled and walk with a cane and I can handle the moderates just fine, you just have to request rooms specific to your limits. I actually know a lot of people who specifically request the further out rooms because they enjoy the walking.

But for me, the most minimal amount of bargain hunting without even going through a third party has landed me with, at most, $220 a night and I've ONLY ever stayed in moderate. Nothing against the other resort types, moderate is just more my thing and most people who stay moderate regularly know better than to pay $300 a night for even a nicer view moderate room. Next year's prices seem a bit higher, but that seems to be true across the board.

Missing_Aria

I am...in my not insignificant experience behind the scenes and looking at the resort prices and revenue...yes - the moderates are the most overpriced penny for penny.

But...the caveat is that things are still changing...they obviously will dump the price structure altogether and then this is moot. Caribbean will be as much as wilderness lodge in 2 years....the others will follow.

Oh Carribean and Pop Century are definitely both about to spike. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a precious cupcake who needs to be protected at all costs. <3

But yeah saying you get your Deluxe resorts way cheaper and never pay those higher quoted prices and then waving it off when two of us who stay in moderate are telling you they are not $300 a night unless you're severely overpaying, not even at next years prices, is just plain silly. I know people who regularly get their moderate rooms at $130 a night (yes they are very type A bargain hunters), best I've ever gotten though is $188 a night on my last trip about a year and a half ago. Again, all I use is Disney's site to book because I'm not that next level bargain hunter. Maybe someday, but not atm. I get too worried I'll book something wrong with the wholesale sites. If you have some tips there though I'd be happy to hear them.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I voted deluxe, but it really depends on the trip, length of it and the best room deal I can find. We like the room updates and amenities at CSR and have gotten some great room discounts during the construction. We drive to the parks and find it central to all parks, plus parking is cheaper there than at the deluxes.

Our next trip will be short, so we are staying at BC. We can walk to Epcot to eat and enjoy the pool since we are going in the August heat. We spend lots of time at the resort so a mod or deluxe makes sense because there’s more to do at those than at a value.

If you are a park commando, I think a value would make the most sense from an economic perspective.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh Carribean and Pop Century are definitely both about to spike. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a precious cupcake who needs to be protected at all costs. <3

But yeah saying you get your Deluxe resorts way cheaper and never pay those higher quoted prices and then waving it off when two of us who stay in moderate are telling you they are not $300 a night unless you're severely overpaying, not even at next years prices, is just plain silly. I know people who regularly get their moderate rooms at $130 a night (yes they are very type A bargain hunters), best I've ever gotten though is $188 a night on my last trip about a year and a half ago. Again, all I use is Disney's site to book because I'm not that next level bargain hunter. Maybe someday, but not atm. I get too worried I'll book something wrong with the wholesale sites. If you have some tips there though I'd be happy to hear them.

It’s not silly...it’s why I said you have to compare rack rates...which of course was countered with “I NEVER pay rack rate”...

Which brings discounts back into play...which means there’s a counter...which is silly.

Let’s make this simple:

The deluxes are $500 a night at rack give or take.

The moderates are about $275...less variance among locations but less fluctuations in price.

Am I saying that the experience at the deluxe is 1.81 Times better?

Why yes...yes I am.

If you want to go discount...in a couple of months I was quoted wilderness lodge at $253 vs Coronado or Dixie at $191...

Am I saying that wilderness lodge is 1.32 Times better?

No...because that’s a rhetorical question.

...talk amongst yourselves.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I voted deluxe, but it really depends on the trip, length of it and the best room deal I can find. We like the room updates and amenities at CSR and have gotten some great room discounts during the construction. We drive to the parks and find it central to all parks, plus parking is cheaper there than at the deluxes.

Our next trip will be short, so we are staying at BC. We can walk to Epcot to eat and enjoy the pool since we are going in the August heat. We spend lots of time at the resort so a mod or deluxe makes sense because there’s more to do at those than at a value.

If you are a park commando, I think a value would make the most sense from an economic perspective.

I love your post....however the line “parking is cheaper” is truly mind boggling to me still 🤯

Much-Pixie-Dust

Actually it is, we have a trip coming up in a couple of months and that's what we paid per night. It's not no kids but it is usually less kids because a lot of families with kids are typically looking to save a buck and stay in value. Don't even get me started on school groups and Pop Warner. And, as you pointed out, with the resorts being more spread out (and immersive) you don't notice the ones that are there as much adding illusion to the actual lower numbers.

I'm disabled and walk with a cane and I can handle the moderates just fine, you just have to request rooms specific to your limits. I actually know a lot of people who specifically request the further out rooms because they enjoy the walking.

But for me, the most minimal amount of bargain hunting without even going through a third party has landed me with, at most, $220 a night and I've ONLY ever stayed in moderate. Nothing against the other resort types, moderate is just more my thing and most people who stay moderate regularly know better than to pay $300 a night for even a nicer view moderate room. Next year's prices seem a bit higher, but that seems to be true across the board.
We stayed at AKL last President’s Day weekend and a huge group of tween dancers, like 3 bus loads came and stayed. It was the first time I have encountered that at a Deluxe. They were well behaved, but their sheer numbers in the lobby were overwhelming.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I love your post....however the line “parking is cheaper” is truly mind boggling to me still 🤯
Oh don’t I know it! I am still bitter about paying to park at a place that has ample spaces to park. It’s not like going to Boston or NYC where parking spaces are at a premium. We fly, but always rent a car because I don’t find the Disney transportation magical at all, and we like to visit the beach for a day. This time we are flying into Tampa because flights were much cheaper than MCO, so a rental is a must.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh don’t I know it! I am still bitter about paying to park at a place that has ample spaces to park. It’s not like going to Boston or NYC where parking spaces are at a premium. We fly, but always rent a car because I don’t find the Disney transportation magical at all, and we like to visit the beach for a day. This time we are flying into Tampa because flights were much cheaper than MCO, so a rental is a must.

Not only that...

Why in the Sam hell is concrete at Polynesian “worth more” than at all stars???

No excuse whatsoever...and what has been battled on Disney forums for years: That’s disney capitalizing on STRAIGHT class warfare. No excuses...it’s shameful.

And it case anyone is wondering...that ain’t how it is in Anaheim...

Much-Pixie-Dust

Not only that...

Why in the Sam hell is concrete at Polynesian “worth more” than at all stars???

No excuse whatsoever...and what has been battled on Disney forums for years: That’s disney capitalizing on STRAIGHT class warfare. No excuses...it’s shameful.

And it case anyone is wondering...that ain’t how it is in Anaheim...
I am totally with you! Honestly, my favorite deluxe isn’t even a Disney hotel. It’s the Four Seasons. At least for their paid parking, I get bottled water while I wait for my car or their luxury bus to take me to the parks.

Missing_Aria

It’s not silly...it’s why I said you have to compare rack rates...which of course was countered with “I NEVER pay rack rate”...

Which brings discounts back into play...which means there’s a counter...which is silly.

Let’s make this simple:

The deluxes are $500 a night at rack give or take.

The moderates are about $275...less variance among locations but less fluctuations in price.

Am I saying that the experience at the deluxe is 1.81 Times better?

Why yes...yes I am.

If you want to go discount...in a couple of months I was quoted wilderness lodge at $253 vs Coronado or Dixie at $191...

Am I saying that wilderness lodge is 1.32 Times better?

No...because that’s a rhetorical question.

...talk amongst yourselves.

Yeah that wasn't how your earlier posts were coming across. You pointed out the rack rate price of moderates but when someone else pointed out the rack rate of deluxes you came back with 'but I never pay that rate' which was what the other person and I were saying about moderates. THAT was what I was pointing out was silly.

If deluxe resorts are worth that increased value to you I would never argue against that. They just aren't for me at this point in my life. Maybe in the future? I dunno. For me I prefer moderates and their value for me is the best. I like the immersion of being in the Bayou and walking along past the waterweel at POR but that's not for everyone which is why it's great that there's so much variety in the resorts.
When Star War's resort inevitably comes out as Deluxe though... ohhh man watch out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom