Which DVC to buy?

justducky78

Original Poster
My husband and I plan on buying DVC in the next few years. We're debating which one, though - each has it's own benefit, just wondering what you think? Your answers may help tilt us in one direction or the other!

So far, we've narrowed it down to Wilderness & Beach Club.

We like BLT as well but the points are expensive, we could buy twice as many points at WLV or BCV and although we love the location, we don't love the modern look as much. We've seen the villas at BLT and they're beautiful but I don't know, the other two, just speak to us more!

Wilderness pros - location (boat to MK) and boat to Contemporary allows access to monorail, we like the woodsy feel, awesome lobby, and Artist Point is one of our favorite restaurants. The pool isn't bad either - love that music! Oh and the salad (beet/millet) at the little cafe is my favorite! LOL - small detail but important.

Beach Club pros - location (boat or walk to Epcot), boat to MGM (I still call it that - sorry!), awesome pool, great restaurants at the hotel and walking distance to the Swan and Boardwalk. We love the store at the Beach Club and the gelato!

I can't think of cons for either. They are both great resorts, each unique in their own way, both with access to different things. This is why we're having difficulty deciding.

We do realize the yearly fees are a bit different and that no matter which we choose, the window of time to book is more at your home resort.

Thanks!

cemeb4dk

We have owned at beach club since 02 and never have regretted or thought about buying elsewhere. It really comes down to the favorite report of yours. With it being your home resort you get a better chance of getting it with the eleven month window. You can always try different ones at the 7 month window. So its up to you and where you like and what you want to spend. Check thru Disney or resale.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I've gotten the opportunity to stay at both WLV and BCV. I prefer Beach Club Villas. I think the location is better overall and you can't beat that pool. Plus, you get the added benefit of being right in the middle of the Boardwalk area. Lots of great restaurants right outside your door. I loved being able to walk into Epcot too. Sure beats the hike from the buses to the turnstiles. To get to MK I found it significantly faster to walk through Epcot and take the monorail too.

At Wilderness Lodge it just felt too remote. Transportation options aren't as plentiful. I wasn't the biggest fan of the decor either. I do love the food choices there though. In the end I think it just comes down to personal preference. If transportation is a big deal to you, it is probably better to go with BCV. If you are looking for a woodsy, secluded feel, WLV is probably the place for you. Either way you are going to have to go through the resale market to get into those places.

justducky78

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies! You are both swaying me towards BCV. Good point on the secluded feel at WL. We are definitely more "beachy" people, not northwoods people but I do still love the look of the WL. Disney just does the theming of everything so well. We have normally stayed at the Yacht Club (not the beach club) but they are connected and I do love being able to walk everywhere. In the evenings, I love being near Epcot and the Boardwalk, etc. So relaxing to walk around or take the boats.

For some reason, I keep forgetting about the option of walking to the monorail in Epcot to get the the MK!

Thanks again - more to think about!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Thank you for your replies! You are both swaying me towards BCV. Good point on the secluded feel at WL. We are definitely more "beachy" people, not northwoods people but I do still love the look of the WL. Disney just does the theming of everything so well. We have normally stayed at the Yacht Club (not the beach club) but they are connected and I do love being able to walk everywhere. In the evenings, I love being near Epcot and the Boardwalk, etc. So relaxing to walk around or take the boats.

For some reason, I keep forgetting about the option of walking to the monorail in Epcot to get the the MK!

Thanks again - more to think about!

You just have to be mindful of the closing time of Epcot. Be prepared to take another form of transportation home if you are coming back after 9pm most nights. However, when it is EMH at Epcot its great because you can usually come back through Epcot since its open until midnight.

Phonedave

Quite honestly the pool at the BC does not thrill me. It's too crowded, noisy, and not good to swim (as opposed to play) in.

I would rather stay at the Boardwalk.

However, the Wilderness Lodge trumps both (but not by much). I just love the public areas in the Villas. Plenty of chairs, fireplaces, tables, etc. Bring a book or a board game and spend an hour or so out there with your family. Yeah, BC has common spaces as well, but they just don't feel like a living room. The VWL do. The access to Epcot is nice from the BC, but then the access to MK from the VWL is just a nice. And if you are going to walk through EPCOT, get a monorail, transfer at the TTC and either monorail or ferry into the MK then it's the same as taking a launch to the Contemporary, a monorail to the TTC, and then transferring to the EPCOT line.

Plus the VWL has easy access to Fort Wilderness for Horseback rides and off road Segways :)

-dave

foreverbelle

Remember just because it will be your home resort, doesn't mean you can't stay at the other. We own at SSR and BLT, and stay at other places often. WL is actually one of our favorites. Just keep that in mind.

I haven't stayed at BC yet but one of these days hope to...

mouselvrmom

We haven't stayed at WL yet, but have stayed at BC and I think it might be our favorite. Well, it's definitely my hubby's favorite - I just love every place we stay in.

BC has a great location. It is fabulous to just walk over to epcot in the evening. We have a lot of dinners there, and we can go elsewhere in the day, stop at the room and then stroll over in the evening. I would definitely want to stay there again soon.

That being said, you're not completely locked into staying at your home resort. So far we've stayed in all of them except for WL and AKV. And on a side note about your not feeling BLT, I completely love it, but my hubby so didn't. He really didn't care for it and doesn't want to stay there again.

tjkraz

Just be aware that ownership at the Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge villa ends on January 31, 2042 regardless of when you buy. If you buy points there "in a few years", you will probably get less than 30 years to enjoy those stays before ownership reverts back to Disney. Other resorts have much longer contracts.

I know there are both sentimental and practical reasons for buying at a specific resort. But keep in mind that come 2042 you will have nothing to show for the up-front purchase while owners at the Bay Lake Tower still have 18 more years to enjoy their resort.

Just some food for thought.

justducky78

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your replies - they're great!

You really touched on some points to consider...

I realize we can visit other resorts but really want to pick the one that we plan to stay at most. I think we're heavily leaning towards Beach Club.

We do love the Wilderness and access to MK and the Seven Seas resorts but when it comes down to it, I love the easy access BCV has by boat and walkway to Epcot, other resorts and MGM. Especially in the evenings...

We like the quiet pool - it's almost always empty if you want to avoid all of the people in the sand bottom pool, etc. The ice cream shop, the marketplace. If we decide to bring friends or family - I love the grand villa at BCV for that.

I don't really mind that points run out in 2042 since that's still 32 years away. I'll be 64 years old, my husband 70. Buying BLT would add more years years down the road, but it would cost us much more now. Good point to think about, though!

So - we're pretty sure we've decided on Beach Club.

Thanks so much for your help!!

hansel1

One point you may want to consider when thinking about BCV or WLV is they are both small resorts room wise. Depending on the time of year you will have a harder time getting a room even at 11 months than some other resorts. Boardwalk for example has more rooms and room categories making it easier to get reservations.

Disneykidder

You cannot buy BCV or WL directly from Disney anymore. They are only available on the resale market. We are buying into SSR on the resale market for the reason mentioned by someone else...the unit will expire in 2054 (or somewhere around there) As mentioned, you are not locked into that resort and you will still hear "welcome home" no matter which one you book. WL expires 12 years earlier.

Pioneer Hall

You cannot buy BCV or WL directly from Disney anymore. They are only available on the resale market. We are buying into SSR on the resale market for the reason mentioned by someone else...the unit will expire in 2054 (or somewhere around there) As mentioned, you are not locked into that resort and you will still hear "welcome home" no matter which one you book. WL expires 12 years earlier.

This is not true, it just isn't advertised. Disney sells their "sold out" resorts using points that they collect from ROFR. However, sometimes what you want may not be available and you would be placed on a waiting list for when it became available. Prices at these resorts are high though (and do not usually offer the incentives you would get by purchasing a resort that is currently being marketed), and much better prices can currently be found by purchasing them through resale.

Current "Sold Out" Resort Prices (all require minimum of 160 points):

Beach Club & Boardwalk- $115 per point

Hilton Head- $80

Old Key West- $101 ($11 incentive available)

Vero Beach- $80

Wilderness Lodge- $102

Disneykidder

This is not true, it just isn't advertised. Disney sells their "sold out" resorts using points that they collect from ROFR. However, sometimes what you want may not be available and you would be placed on a waiting list for when it became available. Prices at these resorts are high though (and do not usually offer the incentives you would get by purchasing a resort that is currently being marketed), and much better prices can currently be found by purchasing them through resale.

Current "Sold Out" Resort Prices (all require minimum of 160 points):

Beach Club & Boardwalk- $115 per point

Hilton Head- $80

Old Key West- $101 ($11 incentive available)

Vero Beach- $80

Wilderness Lodge- $102

Wow~didn't know they were available through Disney...but at $115 per point i'd rather go with BLT and hve it longer.

Pioneer Hall

Wow~didn't know they were available through Disney...but at $115 per point i'd rather go with BLT and hve it longer.

I agree. However, some people will only buy at the resort that is their favorite. If I wanted one of those resorts though I would go through resale for it. There is no reason to spend 115 a point at Boardwalk when you can get it in the 60's or 70's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom