Which Deluxe?

I'm not engaged yet, but my boyfriend and best friend of 11 years (dating for 2:)) and I are talking about getting married next summer, and of course, our choice for our honeymoon is WDW. Even though he firmly believes that every moment of every trip should be spent at the parks (and normally I agree), I feel that a honeymoon deserves some "specialness" and relaxation time. Is it necessarily worth it to spend $2,000 more on a hotel? Probably not. Do I want to? Absolutely.

I've been looking through everything. My dream has ALWAYS been to stay at the GF, ever since I was a little girl. But I look at the room decor (which is, dare I say, a bit ugly?) and really wonder if it's worth $410 per night?

The Beach Club and Boardwalk, however, look gorgeous. Is staying at the GF with the beaches and great restaurants and monorail better than staying at the BC or Boardwalk? And which do you think is better of the latter two?

Thanks for all the info - just a general pondering...:animwink:

Ariel484

I think it depends where you want to spend most of your time - if you want to go to the MK a lot and be close to the other monorail resorts, GF seems like a better choice. If you want to be closer to Epcot, BW or BC would probably be better. :shrug:

For the record, my husband and I stayed at the BW for our honeymoon in May 2009 and we loved it - we really liked being able to walk to 2 parks and strolling around the boardwalk area at night was fun. I really liked the decor our room as well - I thought it was really pretty and classy. I can't speak for the other 2 resorts that you're looking at but you've already made a great decision in deciding to spend your honeymoon at WDW...we had a blast and I'm sure you will to! :wave:

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

We spent our honeymoon at the Contemporary, we went back 12 years later and were pleasantly surprised by the renovations. I would recommend either the Contemporary or the Polynesian, what better place to honeymoon than one of the original monorail resorts. Watching wishes from the beach at the Poly or a balcony at the Contemporary seem romantic even for an old soldier like me.

Best wishes on your upcoming engagement.

Upvote 0

CaptainAshley

Wilderness Lodge is one of the more secluded, beautiful and romantic hotels on property and is usually the least expensive of the Deluxe group. There seem to be less kids around that property too. Also, if you want a beautiful hotel room with an adult atmosphere without dipping into your whole newlywed fund, the Coronado Springs is just gorgeous in my opinion. Good luck and congratulations!

Upvote 0

cslafferty

The MK is our favorite park, so I loved staying at the Contemporary. We had a tower room, MK view on the concierge floor. I loved sitting on my balcony eating breakfast and listening to the sounds of the park. The fireworks were spectacular, and it was a quick walk to the park - we walked right past all the people standing in line for the monorail and buses at closing!

Another great room was at the Poly (can't remember which building, but we had a MK view). The decor of the room and the grounds made me feel like I was in Hawaii, and watching Wishes from the beach was breathtaking (that's where we got engaged!).

We've stayed at the WL, and while it is beautiful and peaceful, the bus rides to the parks seemed very long. I enjoy a view of a park, so I probably wouldn't stay there again. I have not stayed at the GF because the theme/decor is just not us! Have also not stayed at BW or YC - like I said, our favorite park is MK so we prefer to stay closer to that area.

I would definately say it is worth the extra to stay at a deluxe for something as special as a honeymoon. You will want to have those quiet, romantic momments in your room :animwink: so spring for a beautiful view from your balcony!!

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

I stayed at BC for my honeymoon and it was great - and I'm usually a MK kind of gal. We ate at EPCOT almost every night and loved walking the Boardwalk. GF and Poly are also beautiful in different ways (the rooms at GF aren't as bad as the photos make them look - they are really bright and friendly and the resort grounds are gorgeos IMO). No matter what you choose you can't go wrong!

Upvote 0

SOLISIMO

Me and my wife were married at Disney. We stayed a the Grand Floridian for two days then we changed. We are 27/28 years old and that hotel wasnt for us. You will like the Poly or the Contemp. better trust me. The Beach club is also a great choice along with AK savahna view

Upvote 0

Epcotfan21

I stayed at BC for my honeymoon and it was great - and I'm usually a MK kind of gal. We ate at EPCOT almost every night and loved walking the Boardwalk. GF and Poly are also beautiful in different ways (the rooms at GF aren't as bad as the photos make them look - they are really bright and friendly and the resort grounds are gorgeos IMO). No matter what you choose you can't go wrong!

What she said. My wife and I spent our honeymoon at the BC and stayed club level. Absolutely worth every penny.

Upvote 0

corey154

To me the poly is one of the most romantic resorts. (just my opinion) And it's a short monorail ride to eat at the gf and the contemp. also from the poly, it's an easy walk to the epcot monorail.

Upvote 0

wizards8507

I'll be honeymooning around the same time as you and my fiancee and I are hoping for the Animal Kingdom Lodge (we're trying to trade HGVC timeshare points). I feel like the GF, Contemporary, BC, etc. are certainly world-class hotels, but IMHO they feel a little bit like just that--hotels. I think that Poly, AKL, and WL offer a more immersive experience, where the theming can make you forget you're at a hotel in the first place.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
All of the Deluxes have their own charm, and I don't think you would go wrong with any of the choices. As others have said, part of your consideration should be where you plan on spending most of your time. If it is Epcot, Yacht or Beach are great (I personally prefer them over Boardwalk).
I prefer Poly over GF or Contemporary. Also as has been said, WL is a very nice spot and AK has it's charm (although isn't as quiet as WL). With those two, transportation is a little more of an issue if you don't have your own car.

Monorail resorts offer all of the watersports activities if you don't plan on the parks each day. Poly has easy access to the GF Spa if you want to do spa time.

Depending on how long you will be there, you may want to consider splitting your time between two resorts. Spend a night or two at GF to satisfy your long standing dream, then get a taste of another resort.

GF has very nice restaurants (and V&A's if you really want to go all out), you have monorail access to Contemporary restaurants as well. A wider selection of easy access restaurants in the boardwalk and Epcot areas.

Upvote 0

amykissangel

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge is one of the more secluded, beautiful and romantic hotels on property and is usually the least expensive of the Deluxe group. There seem to be less kids around that property too. Also, if you want a beautiful hotel room with an adult atmosphere without dipping into your whole newlywed fund, the Coronado Springs is just gorgeous in my opinion. Good luck and congratulations!

Thank you! I'm thinking he's going to propose at Disney in a month when we go with my family, as he's not the best secret keeper, but just in case he doesn't, I don't want to get my hopes up!

If I wasn't from Wisconsin and spent half my life in the UP (Upper Penninsula of Michigan), I think I would be much more interested in the Wilderness Lodge. But as nature and bugs aren't my favorite, I think the theming of the others appeals to me more. But I have heard wonderful things about the WL!

Have you considered the Contemporary? You can see the GF, you're on the monorail, and it's not as expensive.

Just a thought.

Contemporary is really sleek and modern and so gorgeous...just doesn't do it for me. I need more warmth and coziness...but the pictures look gorgeous and I imagine you can't go wrong staying there!

All of the Deluxes have their own charm, and I don't think you would go wrong with any of the choices. As others have said, part of your consideration should be where you plan on spending most of your time. If it is Epcot, Yacht or Beach are great (I personally prefer them over Boardwalk).

Depending on how long you will be there, you may want to consider splitting your time between two resorts. Spend a night or two at GF to satisfy your long standing dream, then get a taste of another resort.

GF has very nice restaurants (and V&A's if you really want to go all out), you have monorail access to Contemporary restaurants as well. A wider selection of easy access restaurants in the boardwalk and Epcot areas.

Kind of brilliant. I know I'll regret it if I never stay at the GF, but it DOES seem like the Beach Club is cheaper and more our style. Plus we do love the Epcot dinners...perhaps staying at the GF will be the perfect time to do dinner at Victoria and Albert's and Narcoose's and Chef Mickey's...and the rest of the time at the Beach Club for the rest...

What's the best way to get from the BC/BW/YC to MK? A bus? Or can you somehow walk to the monorail at the front of Epcot?

And lastly, thank you all for not judging me for planning a *possible* honeymoon before I even have a ring...I love you Disney folk. :lol:

Upvote 0

amykissangel

Original Poster
For the record, my husband and I stayed at the BW for our honeymoon in May 2009 and we loved it - we really liked being able to walk to 2 parks and strolling around the boardwalk area at night was fun. I really liked the decor our room as well - I thought it was really pretty and classy. I can't speak for the other 2 resorts that you're looking at but you've already made a great decision in deciding to spend your honeymoon at WDW...we had a blast and I'm sure you will to! :wave:

You can really walk to both the MK and Epcot? I am so intrigued as to how this works!!! Did you do a concierge level? Or water view or standard? I feel like concierge level would be amazing (and as we'll never do this again, why not?) but we're at the parks SO much. And love our Table Service meals...so I feel like we wouldn't be around much to take advantage of all the concierge level has to offer...

Upvote 0

NiarrNDisney

I like to be close to the action, so for me having close access to two parks, a variety of dinning options, night spots, and other day activities like boating and mini golf are important. My vote goes to the Boardwalk Resort :)

Upvote 0

Ariel484

You can really walk to both the MK and Epcot? I am so intrigued as to how this works!!! Did you do a concierge level? Or water view or standard? I feel like concierge level would be amazing (and as we'll never do this again, why not?) but we're at the parks SO much. And love our Table Service meals...so I feel like we wouldn't be around much to take advantage of all the concierge level has to offer...

Nope, not the MK...Hollywood Studios. Epcot is about a 5-minute walk (bit closer if you're at Yacht Club or Beach Club), Hollywood Studios is about 20 minutes, or you can take the boat.

We just did standard view...got a lovely vew of the parking lot :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

WendyTinkerbell

We honeymooned at GF and originally had club level just one night, but they upgraded us for the entire trip. Was great as the room was in the main building and far away from noise and children. And we had an awesome view of the castle all week with a King Size bed. Club level was great as we would come back to the room for a break during the day or to change for dinner. Very easy to do on the monorail loop.

My future dream vacation again!

Upvote 0

nolatron

DW and I have stayed at two deluxe resorts.

1) The Boardwalk Villas: We stayed in a 1BR suite 3 times, once being for our wedding/honeymoon. The boardwalk is one of our favorite resorts. We like the theme of the property and the walking paths to Epcot and MGM .

The walk from our room to the car though was quite a trek for our last trip though. We had a room at the very end of the Villas hall on the 1st floor. Took us 7 minutes to get to the car (I timed/filmed it one day just cause it was so darn far).

For our wedding we had a room overlooking the boardwalk. I'd probably never get one again because we heard a lot of noise from the people at restaurant below the room. Woke us up a lot. Seeing Spaceship Earth outside our patio door was cool, though.

2) However, I still think the Grand Floridian falls as #1 for us. In 2003, we stayed at the Grand Floridian in a standard lagoon view room (and will again in Nov. 2010) and we absolutely loved it. The hotel is gorgeous, we had a mini bar/fridge in the room, nightly turn down service with chocolates, the piano playing in the lobby is a great way to soak in the Atmosphere. We had a great view of the Polynesian resort, wedding pavillion, and I think the monorail, from our balcony.

I also really liked having both Monorail and Boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom.

We didn't have a single complaint about our stay here.

If staying at the GF has been a dream of yours, I'd say make it happen during your honeymoon. It's your honeymoon after all! You won't regret it.

Upvote 0

amykissangel

Original Poster
Nope, not the MK...Hollywood Studios. Epcot is about a 5-minute walk (bit closer if you're at Yacht Club or Beach Club), Hollywood Studios is about 20 minutes, or you can take the boat.

We just did standard view...got a lovely vew of the parking lot :rolleyes:

Oh, gotcha! I forget how close DHS is Epcot. Do you end up walking to the World Showcase Entrance to Epcot then? I think that would be so much fun!

The view things kill me when looking at resorts - I would love a view of the 7 Seas Lagoon, but is my view really worth $700? I don't know. And not that I would ever expect an upgrade, but if it did happen, maybe we WOULD get a water view... ;~)

We honeymooned at GF and originally had club level just one night, but they upgraded us for the entire trip. Was great as the room was in the main building and far away from noise and children. And we had an awesome view of the castle all week with a King Size bed. Club level was great as we would come back to the room for a break during the day or to change for dinner. Very easy to do on the monorail loop.

So jealous - and I suppose on your days off from the parks you could really appreciate the Club Level...ah the monorail. Loving the idea of it being literally steps away...

DW and I have stayed at two deluxe resorts.

However, I still think the Grand Floridian falls as #1 for us. In 2003, we stayed at the Grand Floridian in a standard lagoon view room (and will again in Nov. 2010) and we absolutely loved it. The hotel is gorgeous, we had a mini bar/fridge in the room, nightly turn down service with chocolates, the piano playing in the lobby is a great way to soak in the Atmosphere. We had a great view of the Polynesian resort, wedding pavillion, and I think the monorail, from our balcony.

If staying at the GF has been a dream of yours, I'd say make it happen during your honeymoon. It's your honeymoon after all! You won't regret it.

I like the way you think! I'm glad to hear you say such great things about the GF...so many people have said it's not worth the money, it's full of stuffy rich people, etc, etc. I really wanted to hear someone say they had an amazing time there :) I think splitting our honeymoon between the GF and either the BC or BW sounds like a fun idea.

Now my only thought is...where do we stay first and which hotel should end our trip?:shrug:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom