Which attraction would you want to be barefoot on least?

Maelstrom Troll

Kicking off my sandals is my favorite part of Soarin’, People Mover, and SSE. I dont let my feet hit the floor though.
That said, I wouldnt want to be barefoot on pretty much any of the water rides or the omnirovers.

MickeyLuv'r

While I like the hotel water slides, walking in the waterslide area barefoot is always a bit nasty. Once, while enjoying a pool, we happened to see a pair of CM's testing the puddles on the pool deck.. (temp, microbes)

In truth, people walk barefoot on the pool decks, and the pool deck puddles aren't much cleaner than the rides. If anything, algae likes sunlight. You get different things growing in dark puddles, but sunlit puddles (stagnant water) grow plenty of nasty.

The dry, sunlit pathways of say, Epcot, are likely cleaner than the water slide stairs (especially where there are puddles and shade), at least in warmer weather. The combo of dry, sunlit, and hot tends to kill many pathogens. In pool areas you have bare feet touching the same areas in rapid succession, so the kinds of fungus that actually prefer human skin are more likely to be present.

This is why we cook our food to certain temps. Freshly poured concrete has a pH of 12.5, similar to bleach. It is also salty. Many things can survive in wet salt water (of the correct salinity), but dry salt is harder. Concrete/blacktop also has big temp swings every day. (asphalt pH is about 9, also fairly high.)

A risk of puddles, especially shaded puddles (in the Splash logs/PotC boats), are the things that can survive in sewage. Think tracking pathogens from the restroom on the bottom of your shoe.

An extremely useful course I once took was on the science of food safety. Everyone should take course on the subject! Extremely useful practical knowledge on how/where/when pathogens grow, and how to avoid having them in your food. Another mini-session I once took was on blood borne pathogens - shudder! Also highly useful, but ewww!

If one has a cut on your foot, you should be very careful!

Last edited:

NelleBelle

While I like the hotel water slides, walking in the waterslide area barefoot is always a bit nasty. Once, while enjoying a pool, we happened to see a pair of CM's testing the puddles on the pool deck.. (temp, microbes)

In truth, people walk barefoot on the pool decks, and the pool deck puddles aren't much cleaner than the rides. If anything, algae likes sunlight. You get different things growing in dark puddles, but sunlit puddles (stagnant water) grow plenty of nasty.

The dry, sunlit pathways of say, Epcot, are likely cleaner than the water slide stairs (especially where there are puddles and shade), at least in warmer weather. The combo of dry, sunlit, and hot tends to kill many pathogens. In pool areas you have bare feet touching the same areas in rapid succession, so the kinds of fungus that actually prefer human skin are more likely to be present.

This is why we cook our food to certain temps. Freshly poured concrete has a pH of 12.5, similar to bleach. It is also salty. Many things can survive in wet salt water (of the correct salinity), but dry salt is harder. Concrete/blacktop also has big temp swings every day. (asphalt pH is about 9, also fairly high.)

A risk of puddles, especially shaded puddles (in the Splash logs/PotC boats), are the things that can survive in sewage. Think tracking pathogens from the restroom on the bottom of your shoe.

An extremely useful course I once took was on the science of food safety. Everyone should take course on the subject! Extremely useful practical knowledge on how/where/when pathogens grow, and how to avoid having them in your food. Another mini-session I once took was on blood borne pathogens - shudder! Also highly useful, but ewww!

If one has a cut on your foot, you should be very careful!
I volunteer at my kids school making/serving their hot lunch (or did before COVID) and our county requires us to watch and take an exam on food born pathogens and safety in order to have a food safety handlers permit (as an OT I was required to have one as well because we had patients simulate cooking with real food despite never allowing them to eat it...it was fully CYA in case they did). All that stuff from stagnant water to germs and where they like to hide and breed (warm, moist environments and why I DESPISE hand dryers in restrooms...they are just gross as they never dry anything). But nothing grosses me out worse than people who get in pools with open wounds 🤢

91JLovesDisney

Splash or Pirates for sure. In Splash you can at least see what's at your feet I guess. I think I would most like to be barefoot on Soarin' or maybe... Soarin'

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom