Which attraction were you terrified of as a kid.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Now I regret not enjoying it but when I was little the mysterious pre show of Universe of Energy video creeped me out so bad I was afraid to look into the sky at night thinking out of the dark I could see those weird images appear at any time expecially the eyes. Then you go into an elaborate scene where to a small kid all these monsters are trying to eat you but I was more afraid the hands grabbing the sun along with the eyes were going to appear again. I remember never being so relieved in my life when we went to current time and back to the screens with the maps on them. That ending scene to be was a happy ending and we were all going to live. When they added Ellen at least we didn’t have a scary pre show to set me off and I was good with that ride.

The_Jobu

HM and ToT.

Now they're my favourites :geek:

Kid sister tried to jump out of Snow White's Scary Adventures way back when. She's still not a fan....

Da Bird is Da Word

The Tower of Terror. It made me afraid of elevators for years! I was 6/7 years old. I was terrified the first time I got on it. To trick me into getting on it again, my mom insisted that the last time we rode on it, it was the “adult version”. So this time, we go to the other line instead, and she tells me this is the not-scary kids version! When we get to the ride, I ask the CM if I’m getting on the not-scary version. He probably saw my mom give him a look from behind me. He just smiled and patted me on the back. We get on the ride, and sure enough, it was quite scary 😬😬 I was SOO mad afterwards. I was a little sh** for the rest of the day 😂

I was also afraid of Space Mountain my first trip to Disney. Weirdly enough, I was never afraid of Rockin rollercoaster. And this was during a time that I was petrified of rollercoasters , especially ones that go upside down. I wasn’t really afraid of any other rides. I loved Haunted Mansion. My parents told me the ghosts were real, and I believed them lol

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Absolutely nothing at WDW terrified me as a child.
The typical "scary" attractions like HM were made quite fun by my dad and oldest sister who would sit in the doom buggy behind my mom, sister, and I because they would randomly knock on our doom buggy.
I will say that the first time I went on Space Mountain I got scared when I realized I couldn't sit next to someone.
My oldest sister made me feel so much better when she said "I'll sit behind you and if you fly out I'll catch you".

The one ride that actually did terrify me was at Universal. The part in Back To The Future where you see dinosaurs I was absolutely screaming.
My parents were laughing and my one sister was trying to calm me down.

Oh and while Jaws did not actually scare me I was upset because I thought it was going to scare my mom and my mom is not one that likes to be scared so I started crying for my mom lol.

JIMINYCR

I didnt get to go to WDW until I was an adult. But when I was a child I refused to ride any rollercoasters until one year at another well known park, dear dad convinced me to go on one with him. He tricked me by getting me into the front seat. I almost died when we crested the top of the hill and I saw the drop that was waiting for me. After that ride they couldnt keep me off of them. When we first went to WDW I let DS decide when he was ready for any attractions. He wanted nothing to do with Space Mtn, Splash, RnRC, ToT or HM. The next year he decided on his own that he was big enough to handle them all. Now as adults we enjoy them all, as big a thrill ride we can get.

MattC

Space Mountain. Completely turned me off to rides and theme parks in general. So my parents never took me back. Growing up we were a Grand Canyon/Yellow Stone family vacation type of family. Did not make it back to Disney until adulthood and love it. Really enjoy rollercoasters now too.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Space Mountain. Completely turned me off to rides and theme parks in general. So my parents never took me back. Growing up we were a Grand Canyon/Yellow Stone family vacation type of family. Did not make it back to Disney until adulthood and love it. Really enjoy rollercoasters now too.
I went on Space Mountain at age 4 or 5 back the early 90s. I couldn’t get enough of it between the pre show and the ride itself. As long as nothing appears to be trying to attack the ride vehicle all
Is right with the world.

Disneyfreak Jen

BTMRR scarred me for life in 1986. I still can’t get on it. 😞 I’ve tried...I wait in the queue, get more and more nervous, and when the car comes I walk right out on the other side 😂😳🙄Ridiculous, I know. I’ve even tried taking a pill that I use for flying to help me relax to get on it. Nope. Nope. Nope. Just nope.

StarWarsGirl

Not me, but my friend really hated It's Tough to be a Bug. She was four. I have a postcard from her where her mom dictated that she didn't like the spiders. We went to WDW together in 2014 and got on it then. We went to DL in 2017 before Bug's Land was removed. I asked if she wanted to get on it. "Nope. I still don't like those spiders." 😂

hauntology

My biggest fear which has developed into a legitimate phobia thanks to Walt Disney World is dinosaurs. I can’t stand any type of dinosaur. I watched The Good Dinosaur on a plane three years ago while shaking. It’s horrible.

And here’s why: when I was four years old I went on Countdown to Extinction right before it was named Dinosaur. It was a traumatizing experience—the dinosaurs but especially the Demon Horns looking one “Crantosaurus” or whatever (I don’t bother to know Dino names) traumatizes me for years to come. I rode it again when I was 9, with the intention of conquering my fear. I was holding that Pooh from animal kingdom they sell dressed up as a colonialist explorer throughout the ride.

The ride got stuck.

At the time the Triceratops at the beginning I believe had something of a smoke effect. We were stuck at the first meeting with the really creepy dinosaur that follows you throughout the ride. It was just in our face attacking the car over and over. The car was stuck but the animatronics All still moved. We had to walk out the ride from the beginning on the track the vehicle moves on while the dinosaurs moved. It really messed me up. Since I was 9 I’ve had nightmares of dinosaurs just wrecking me.

Last two times I went on it was when I was turning 15 and like four months ago at 23. Each time I say I’m going to get over why I hate this ride and dinosaurs. I came off this time screaming and the family I was riding with somehow knew I spoke Spanish and were asking me in Spanish if I was okay and I needed a hug.

Ellen’s Energy Adventure, the dinosaur bones in Big Thunder Mountain, the dinosaur on Back to The Future, the horrible dinosaurs on that Kong:Skull mountain simulator at Islands of Adventure, and even a little bit the Gertie the Dinosaur statue at Hollywood a Studios, the T-REX Cafe, and the dinosaurs from the worlds fair on the Disneyland railroad all illicit a similar response. But DINOSAUR at Animal Kingdom is just horrible. I despise that ride.

Surprisingly really into the dragon at Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey though! Love dragons. Also love the creatures in Flight of Passage.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
Nice to know there’s no dinosaurs in that preshow!
Nope that that pretty much set me off because in 99 I walked out of Countdown to Extinction plotting the next time I go on that ride and I still wouldn’t set foot on Universe of energy after being traumatized when I was 5 years old and the years before that.

hauntology

Absolutely nothing at WDW terrified me as a child.
The typical "scary" attractions like HM were made quite fun by my dad and oldest sister who would sit in the doom buggy behind my mom, sister, and I because they would randomly knock on our doom buggy.
I will say that the first time I went on Space Mountain I got scared when I realized I couldn't sit next to someone.
My oldest sister made me feel so much better when she said "I'll sit behind you and if you fly out I'll catch you".

The one ride that actually did terrify me was at Universal. The part in Back To The Future where you see dinosaurs I was absolutely screaming.
My parents were laughing and my one sister was trying to calm me down.

Oh and while Jaws did not actually scare me I was upset because I thought it was going to scare my mom and my mom is not one that likes to be scared so I started crying for my mom lol.

Honestly happy to know I'm not the only person freaked out by that dinosaur either. Well for me it's all dinosaurs but...

Otamin

Tower of Terror and the Haunted Mansion.

Rather embarrassingly I've yet to actually ride the WDW versions since the last time I went was back in 2008.

Phantom Manor in Paris scared me a lot when I was about 4 years old so I naturally avoided the Haunted Mansion, and the Tower of Terror I avoided because I hated rides that dropped back then.

They'll likely be the first rides I ride in their respective parks the next time I go back to WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom