Which attraction were you terrified of as a kid.

TARDIS

Nothing at Disney scared me ,but have vivid memories of being carried onto Jaws crying my heart out.Rode it once as a adult and it was still a nope.
Also always been afraid of Dino’s so I can’t handle anything with them on it.My parents knew better than to try carrying me on anything again since I made quite a scene on jaws.

thepirateking

Perhaps the audience here skews too young to remember it, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Magic Journeys. When that witch started shooting lightning bolts out at the audience, most of the pre-schoolers in the theater instantly erupted in screams and tears. I'm sure Disney received plenty of parental complaints, because the film up until that point was nothing but gentle whimsy. Then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, ZAP!

100% with you. That was terrifying, and I've been waiting to see if someone else remembered it.

hauntology

Perhaps the audience here skews too young to remember it, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Magic Journeys. When that witch started shooting lightning bolts out at the audience, most of the pre-schoolers in the theater instantly erupted in screams and tears. I'm sure Disney received plenty of parental complaints, because the film up until that point was nothing but gentle whimsy. Then all of the sudden, out of nowhere, ZAP!

Magic Journeys was before my time (I'm from '95) but watching it is like going on a metaphorical acid trip. It's honestly a little avant garde even--when the witch blends into the giant Olmec head in space, and the kids voices slow down to capture the ring while on the carousel. The scene with the clowns would terrify me honestly. Magic Journeys honestly looks like 80's video art at MoMA or something especially with all the effects. It's really really out there.

That's not to say I don't think it's a magical, mystifying attraction.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
When I was 11 I had the absolute [Honk] scared out of me on Expedition Everest. Now it's one of my all time favorite rides

CF_Fighter

I went on Alien Encounter in like 6th grade and I was screaming in my seat the whole ride. Apparently there were CMs searching for me to help me out of the ride, but they never found me. I'm sure my meltdown made it an enjoyable experience for everyone else, probably added to the atmosphere... Even with my mom in the seat next to me it was still horrible. A few years later I went back to the park and I was intent on riding it to conquer my fear, and by that time Alien was one of my favorite films ever, but the ride had been shuttered.

I got very scared of HM as a little kid and refused to ride it until I was like 9 or 10, at which time it became one of my favorite rides ever and still is to this day.

Musical Mermaid

Snow White (the version with the witch popping out every few seconds) & Magic Journeys (the witch scared me there too). Also, Splash Mountain. It was well before they had lap bars and I was terrified that I was going to fall out of the log.

horizons82

I was absolutely scared of Space Mountain as a kid! Back then the sides of SM's cars glowed more brightly and there was a lot more of it visible while riding on the PeopleMover. I loved the PeopleMover but would even get scared just riding through the darkness and seeing the glow of SM's cars going around on the tracks for much longer than you can see them now.

But there was a particular instance riding Haunted Mansion as a kid where the ride stopped and we were left sitting in front of the ghost bride for what felt like a very long time. And that version at the time--IIRC--had glowing eyes and a beating heart that pulsed in terms of color/light, and the vibration of it was heard & felt in the attic. It normally didn't scare me but just being stopped there and having it right in front of me for so long was really creepy and got more so the longer we sat there.
(I think back then the bride was on the right side of the omnimover track.)

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
At Disneyland, IJA, I really.. REALLY hated this cobra when I was younger. So much so that I wouldn't ride Indiana Jones unless I was in the drivers seat as far away from it as possible lol.

polynesiangirl

The first time I went on Space Mountain, I spent the entire ride screaming my head off because it felt like I was going to get thrown out of the car. I hadn't been expecting it to be so bumpy. I refused to go on it again for like the next 4 trips. (I like it now, but I just went on it this past May and was like "...it IS bumpy, you know.")

Heppenheimer

I was absolutely scared of Space Mountain as a kid! Back then the sides of SM's cars glowed more brightly and there was a lot more of it visible while riding on the PeopleMover. I loved the PeopleMover but would even get scared just riding through the darkness and seeing the glow of SM's cars going around on the tracks for much longer than you can see them now.

But there was a particular instance riding Haunted Mansion as a kid where the ride stopped and we were left sitting in front of the ghost bride for what felt like a very long time. And that version at the time--IIRC--had glowing eyes and a beating heart that pulsed in terms of color/light, and the vibration of it was heard & felt in the attic. It normally didn't scare me but just being stopped there and having it right in front of me for so long was really creepy and got more so the longer we sat there.
(I think back then the bride was on the right side of the omnimover track.)
Oh yeah, that bride was the only part of the mansion back then that didn't follow the otherwise goofy, tongue-in-cheek theme of the ride. I never got stuck on that segment, but it was definately a sudden and kind of unnerving change of tone.

LUVofDIS

My first visit was when I was twenty four, so not so much a kid. That year two things scared me:

The first was Humunga Kowabunga, I love thrill, but this one worried me the first time, I felt I could fly off the slide with nothing holding me in. After that first time I was fine and loved it.

The second was Captain EO, not that the show frightened me, but because I utterly despised MJ and was terrified of the time I was wasting sitting through it.

Kate F

I was nine years old and I cried before getting on the Tower of Terror for the first time while my younger brothers didn’t seem to be scared at all. When the ride ended, I was happy and giggling and my brothers were the ones who were freaked out. It’s in my top 3 favorite attractions.

Now if there’s one thing at WDW that I would be scared to do now as an adult, it would be Summit Plummet.

DisneyFreak

First trip to DW in 1979 I was eight. I did not want to go on Space Mountain. I had not been on an adult roller coaster at this point. I remember starting to get freaked out when we were riding the People Mover and it started heading for the Space Mountain building and thought my parents had tricked me. I was not a happy camper for a few moments.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom