Where's the beef? Not on Mouse Buffets.

WDW1974

Original Poster
According to Orlando Sentinel's ex-restaurant critic (a very good one at that) Scott Joseph, Disney has removed prime rib from their buffets across property and replaced it with cheaper, lower quality strip loin.

And in typical balls as big as basketballs Mouscastyle, the Disney exec quoted in his blog says it was all because of guests complaining they were getting too much beef at the buffets and it didn't give them a chance to enjoy the (cheaper) other offerings.

Only Disney. Only Disney.

This is WalMarting.

The price of a buffet at WDW has probably doubled in a decade yet the quality keeps dropping.

Come on out management apologists. We all know the fatties who make up so large (pun intended) a majority of Disney's guest population all told Disney survery takers that they'd much rather have more cheap greens and chicken nuggets rather than prime rib.

Magical.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Not quite sure when this comes into effect. I talked to a friend who ate at Boma last night, and he was telling me how good the prime rib was. The queue for the meat station was as big, and people as happy with it as usual.

pheneix

Disney counter service food has been laughably bad for years. A shame that trend has been extended to include table service buffets as well.

Good thing Orlando has plenty of chain restaurants surrounding the resort now. I'll spend my dollars at the Targets (Olive Garden), Publix (Bahama Breeze), and even the Big Lots (Golden Corral) of the dining world before throwing my hard earned money away on most of the Disney restaurants!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney counter service food has been laughably bad for years. A shame that trend has been extended to include table service buffets as well.

Good thing Orlando has plenty of chain restaurants surrounding the resort now. I'll spend my dollars at the Targets (Olive Garden), Publix (Bahama Breeze), and even the Big Lots (Golden Corral) of the dining world before throwing my hard earned money away on most of the Disney restaurants!

I still rate Boma as one of the best buffets around, Disney or not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not quite sure when this comes into effect. I talked to a friend who ate at Boma last night, and he was telling me how good the prime rib was. The queue for the meat station was as big, and people as happy with it as usual.

I don't have the blog post in front of me, but it was within the past week.

One would wonder if they reversed field already due to perhaps some very vocal compaints? because Boma was definitely one of the locations mentioned as having the strip loin replacing the prime rib ... so something doesn't add up.

I hope it's the above!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't have the blog post in front of me, but it was within the past week.

One would wonder if they reversed field already due to perhaps some very vocal compaints? because Boma was definitely one of the locations mentioned as having the strip loin replacing the prime rib ... so something doesn't add up.

I hope it's the above!

Yep just double checked again, and there was prime rib last night at Boma.

vickyvale

Disney Guests Ask "Where's the Beef?" Prime Rib Missing From Buffets
Prime rib has been replaced on buffet serving lines at Walt Disney World restaurants with whole strip loins. The official, company line is that the switch was made for aesthetic reasons. Lenny DeGeorge told me that prime rib is not meant to be cut into small slices, which is how people in a buffet situation request it. He says they want smaller portions because they're sampling a lot of different things and don't want to fill up on just prime rib. And when cutting small pieces you can get a lot of fat.

The whole strip loin, he says, is better suited for smaller slicing. So at venues like Boma, the all-you-can-eat walkabout buffet at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, the prime rib is out and the whole strip loins are in, and on the spit with the signature African blend of spices.

But is that the real reason for the change? Could it be that strip loins are cheaper than standing rib roasts? Restaurants, even those at Walt Disney World, are trying to find ways of cutting costs in this depressed economy. DeGeorge says the strips are a little less expensive, but he points out that prime rib hasn't been banished entirely from the Kingdom. "We're still using tons and tons of prime rib," he says. You can still find it at such places as Olivia's, Boatwright's and Captain's Grill at the Yacht and Beach Club.

And when he says tons and tons, he means that quite literally. He estimates Disney serves between 400 and 500 thousand pounds of prime rib annually. Just not at all-you-can-eat venues anymore.

So watch that number to go down next year.
http://scottjosephorlando.typepad.c...-the-beef-prime-rib-missing-from-buffets.html

--------------------------------

I'm sure food cost plays a big part in it but in this economy I'd say this is a better call than raising the price or cutting labor.

Now if we were talking about the mini corn dogs at Tusker House....it'd be a different situation...:)

jt04

Yikes, something about steak cooked for the masses...or worse, a buffet line :eek:, that just does not appeal.:dazzle: If I want prime rib (or any other steak for that matter) I head for Shula's at the Dolphin Hotel. :king: A bit pricey but unbelievable quality and cooked to your specifications. :) They way steak should be. :slurp:

pheneix

I still rate Boma as one of the best buffets around, Disney or not.

I haven't been to it in over a year, though sadly I do remember it being a bit of a stop down from my experience towards the end of 2006, when it was without a shadow of a doubt my favorite buffet in town.

It is almost worth driving over and eating there to see if this is true, but I don't wanna spend $30 and walk away without prime rib... :shrug:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well, something is odd here.

Either they made the change and immediately got such venom (and with good cause) from their guests, many DVCers now, and switched gears ... or they haven't switched over just yet at Boma (but obviously intend to) ... or Steve's friend doesn't know the difference between strip and prime rib.

I'm still leaning toward option one at this point.

Even with WalMart shoppers making up a large chunk of Disney resort guests, I think there's only so far you can push them before they shove back ... and this could be a great example of that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh and just one point, but if this is true and you'd like to 'comment' on it or any other changes in WDW Dining, I'd advise you drop an email to Dieter.Hannig@disney.com.

Unless he was recently moved, he was head of F&B for the entire resort.

Maybe you don't like those recent price increases or the general WalMarting of dining? He'd be someone to contact.

coasterphil

I'm willing to bet that they just have so much Prime Rib in storage that some restaurants are still using it, but all future orders are for strip loin.

disney4life2008

I think this is CRAZY!!! I am not paying close to $30 a person for strip loin at Boma. I want PRIME RIB!!!!! Further, this is why I do not invest my money on Disney Dining Plan. It is minimally good. However, the quality even for Disney counter service food has declined. The switch from regular buns to wheat buns that fall apart when you pick up your burgers is horrible. The recent switch from chicken tenders to nuggets is crazy. Now prime rib is gone. I travel to Disney and spend thousands of dollars for a VACATION. I want FAT! I do not want an apple with my burgers. I understand many changes have come into affect due to the increase of health and wellness but I do not like the direction that Disney is heading with their food offerings and while their prices for food is increasing the quality is steadily declining.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think this is CRAZY!!! I am not paying close to $30 a person for strip loin at Boma. I want PRIME RIB!!!!! Further, this is why I do not invest my money on Disney Dining Plan. It is minimally good. However, the quality even for Disney counter service food has declined. The switch from regular buns to wheat buns that fall apart when you pick up your burgers is horrible. The recent switch from chicken tenders to nuggets is crazy. Now prime rib is gone. I travel to Disney and spend thousands of dollars for a VACATION. I want FAT! I do not want an apple with my burgers. I understand many changes have come into affect due to the increase of health and wellness but I do not like the direction that Disney is heading with their food offerings and while their prices for food is increasing the quality is steadily declining.

And you can thank the DDP for that.

The free DDP has done nothing but lower the quality and quantity of offering at most all WDW dining establishments.

EPCOT Explorer

Sir, that was awesome.:cool::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

jt04

The free DDP has done nothing but lower the quality and quantity of offering at most all WDW dining establishments.

Yep! 100% agree.

As they say, "There is no such thing as a free lunch".

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

DougK

My sentiments exactly! And I wish it wasn't so, we used to enjoy dining at Disney. Now we rent a car and often eat offsite. The food quality is better offiste and the prices are lower. The savings more than pay for the car rental. However it does take some time away from the parks, but my wife and I go often enough to not let that bother us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom