Where'd the Trees in Magic Kingdom's Central Hub Go?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The trees were removed - and the hub rebuilt - in 2005 to give more sightlines for Wishes. Same as the trees in Town Square being severely cropped.

hpyhnt 1000

The trees were removed - and the hub rebuilt - in 2005 to give more sightlines for Wishes. Same as the trees in Town Square being severely cropped.

Yes, that is true, but at least those were replaced. And I might add those were getting rather large last time I was there (probably be seeing those removed or cut back soon). While I can understand the perspective issue (though I find that a lame reason) and sightlines and all that in the Hub, why not just put new smaller trees in there? The area really does have the look of a slab of concrete at the moment; some greenery in the middle would be nice! :eek:

wdwmemories

With the huge crowds that pack the hub because they really want to see fireworks from "right in front of the castle" I can see why Disney decided to take them down...

happymom52003

While I can understand the perspective issue (though I find that a lame reason) and sightlines and all that in the Hub, why not just put new smaller trees in there? The area really does have the look of a slab of concrete at the moment; some greenery in the middle would be nice! :eek:

My thoughts exactly.

hpyhnt 1000

With the huge crowds that pack the hub because they really want to see fireworks from "right in front of the castle" I can see why Disney decided to take them down...

You know what the irony is? THAT IS ONE OF THE WORST PLACES TO WATCH THE FIREWORKS!!! :dazzle: :brick::dazzle: (Please note I'm not shouting, just emphasizing.) The castle, just because of its height, blocks the view of the larger shells that are launched from behind Toontown/Fantasyland, and the only thing you get a good view of is the pyro launched from the roofs of Fantasyland. In order to effectively see the show, you have to be standing at least somewhere between the hub and Main Street; in the hub is too close!

Chape19714

You know what the irony is? THAT IS ONE OF THE WORST PLACES TO WATCH THE FIREWORKS!!! :dazzle: :brick::dazzle: (Please note I'm not shouting, just emphasizing.) The castle, just because of its height, blocks the view of the larger shells that are launched from behind Toontown/Fantasyland, and the only thing you get a good view of is the pyro launched from the roofs of Fantasyland. In order to effectively see the show, you have to be standing at least somewhere between the hub and Main Street; in the hub is too close!
True, but wishes makes extensive use of projection and lighting effects on the castle, which would be blocked by the trees when viewed from Main Street, and the bridge near tip board.

You guys are also forgetting the other thing management was pushing around 2005...Cinderellabration! Which marketing expected huge crowds for, and they never showed up. The hub was re-done for C-bration and for Wishes.

hpyhnt 1000

True, but wishes makes extensive use of projection and lighting effects on the castle, which would be blocked by the trees when viewed from Main Street, and the bridge near tip board.

Eh, good point, but in all honesty, I find the projections kind of necessary. I mean, the stars to represent the Sorcerer's Hat are nice, but other elements, like the mirror on the wall, I could live without. I really don't think they look all that attractive. :shrug:

Chape19714

Eh, good point, but in all honesty, I find the projections kind of necessary. I mean, the stars to represent the Sorcerer's Hat are nice, but other elements, like the mirror on the wall, I could live without. I really don't think they look all that attractive. :shrug:
Yes, but Disney spent a great deal of Time and money on these effects, they're not going to let it go unnoticed.

Rob562

Yes, that is true, but at least those were replaced. And I might add those were getting rather large last time I was there (probably be seeing those removed or cut back soon). While I can understand the perspective issue (though I find that a lame reason) and sightlines and all that in the Hub, why not just put new smaller trees in there? The area really does have the look of a slab of concrete at the moment; some greenery in the middle would be nice! :eek:

I agree that new, smaller trees should be put back into those planters. The ones that were taken out of Town Square were out of necessity, because the trees that had been there since 1971 had out-grown the available soil that they were planted in. There's no reason that they couldn't replace the trees with smaller ones, keep the pruned back until they grow too big, and replace them again. Doing this cycle with 4 easily-accessible trees isn't all that difficult, I'm sure.

Another problem with removing the Hub trees is that it clears the sightlines and allows you to see from Liberty Square all the way through the Hub into Tomorrowland. It really kills the separation of the themed lands... Before, the trees blocked most of that view. Now, it looks like there's a big ol' space of nothingness outside Liberty Square.

-Rob

DisneyYorkian74

Original Poster
Indeed they were. They had gotten quite big and really made the hub just horrible for getting views of the castle. You were either too close to the castle or there was a tree in your way.

I think too much of the castle is visible from Main Street now.:brick:

It doesn't seem like there was ever any intentions to view Cinderella Castle completely while walking down Main Street.

It would be like Disney tearing down all the trees around the Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom so guests would be able to greater appreciate the animal carvings without the other foliage covering certain parts up.

If fans got Disney to change their minds and tear down the Epcot wand, couldn't Disney change their minds and re-plant at least some sort of trees in the central hub if enough fans complain?

DisneyYorkian74

Original Poster
I agree that new, smaller trees should be put back into those planters. The ones that were taken out of Town Square were out of necessity, because the trees that had been there since 1971 had out-grown the available soil that they were planted in. There's no reason that they couldn't replace the trees with smaller ones, keep the pruned back until they grow too big, and replace them again. Doing this cycle with 4 easily-accessible trees isn't all that difficult, I'm sure.

That sounds like a great idea that I wish Disney would have used before tearing down every single tree in that area.

I didn't even realize that there were more trees that Disney tore down before the central hub until I looked at some old photos I took back in 2001.

Main Street looked so much better back then...:(

surfsupdon

They have replanted the palm trees that line Hollywood and Sunset Blvds a few years ago. Those palms got incredibbly tall, then a vacation later the palms were small again.

lightboy

Correct...part of the reason the trees came out were for Wishes.

But also correct, even more so...was the Castle stage shows.

Disney expected to PACK crowds in for that amazing show...what was it called? Oh right. Cinderellabration. They expected crowds to be so high, that there wouldn't be enough room in the castle forecourt.

Thus. No more trees.

Wow, and did they EVER pack in those guests for Cindybration.
...Sarcasm...

What a great show..... :ROFLOL:

Animaniac93-98

It would have been great if it were an exact copy of the TDL show, what WDW got was a cheap version that had less of everything.

Of all the things WDW decided to copy from TDL that year, they chose that over The Cinderella Castle Castle Mystery Tour or Dreamlights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom