Where will you travel this summer?

BuddyThomas

Different views from each side. Definitely worth seeing from each vantage point.

Truthfully, for us, two out of every ten viewings would be from the US side, and eight from the Canadian, despite having passports and the ability to cross at will.

I disagree with @Goofyernmost regarding the superior views of the Horseshoe Falls from the US side though. And for sure the American Falls and Bridal Falls are best viewed the Great White North.

American Falls from US:
View attachment 208279

From Canada:
View attachment 208280

Horseshoes (Canadian Falls) from Canada:
(Can you see it? Not really.)
View attachment 208281

From Canada:
View attachment 208282
That is awesome - thank you for posting. :)

21stamps

I wanted to share a photo of a wonderful experience that I had last weekend.
I'm not a national parks type of person, I'm outdoorsy when it comes to the ocean- diving, boating, swimming.. but hiking, woods? Nope.

I turned 40 on Sunday and decided to do something different.. we took a road trip, stayed in a cabin in the hills.. and hiked for almost 8 hours on my actual birthday. It was amazing!!
Don't know why it took me 40 years to do it.

IMG_1245.JPG

epcotisbest

I wanted to share a photo of a wonderful experience that I had last weekend.
I'm not a national parks type of person, I'm outdoorsy when it comes to the ocean- diving, boating, swimming.. but hiking, woods? Nope.

I turned 40 on Sunday and decided to do something different.. we took a road trip, stayed in a cabin in the hills.. and hiked for almost 8 hours on my actual birthday. It was amazing!!
Don't know why it took me 40 years to do it.

View attachment 212494

Well, happy birthday to you! We go hiking quite often and camping some, but not as often now because I sold our camper and someone does not enjoy tent camping as much as I do. Here are some photos of our trip to Elkmont in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park a few weeks ago. Great campsite beside the river. We are going to a Georgia State Park Friday through Tuesday for the long holiday weekend. No fireworks, but some good hiking, waterfalls, and lovely lake, not to mention peace and quiet and good times in the great outdoors.

Elkmont.jpg Elkmont2.jpg

Last edited:

21stamps

Well, happy birthday to you! We go hiking quite often and camping some, but not as often now because I sold our camper and someone does not enjoy tent camping as much as I do. Here are some photos of our trip to Elkmont in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park a few weeks ago. Great campsite beside the river. We are going to a Georgia State Park Friday through Tuesday for the long holiday weekend. No fireworks, but some good hiking, waterfalls, and lovely lake, not to mention peace and quiet and good times in the great outdoors.

View attachment 212505 View attachment 212506

Thank you! I want to buy a camper someday, and rent a waterfront campsite annually.

Two years ago I went tent camping for the first time, went to REI and Dick's Sporting Goods.. bought an insane amount of gear and a super nifty expensive 8 person tent with a screened in porch. I bought Head lamps, fishing gear, water back packs, emergency LED flares..etc etc. We were pitching our tent on a friend of mine's campsite, who has a camper stationed there, along with a garage, furniture, golf cart, fire pit, water and electricity, on site pool, mini golf, restaurant, peddle boats, sports courts etc..lol.. not out in some remote location. Said friend convinced me to return my tent and some of my gear.. and buy a much cheaper 2 person tent instead.

We had a fantastic time and I decided to make it an annual thing, although last year we stayed in the camper instead of the tent-BUT we did not turn on the tv. I haven't decided which one we will do this year..I want to be strong enough to do the tent again.

2015 w/ the tent- I was so proud of putting up an Insta Tent all by myself ;)
IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1671.JPG

IMG_6218.JPG IMG_6126.JPG

2016, same site, stayed in camper-

IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1668.JPG IMG_1677.JPG

Those two trips and local county parks are the extent of my "Wilderness explorations" up until this past weekend. I gave up fishing on the first camping trip.. all I hooked was my own hand :( lol

epcotisbest

@21stamps thanks for sharing the photos. Looks like a good time. Here is our little REI tent. Best tent we have ever had. When this one wears out, if I have not bought another camper, I will buy another REI. This one claims to be a four-person, but it would have to be four people that are really good friends.

Elkmont3.jpg

21stamps

@21stamps thanks for sharing the photos. Looks like a good time. Here is our little REI tent. Best tent we have ever had. When this one wears out, if I have not bought another camper, I will buy another REI. This one claims to be a four-person, but it would have to be four people that are really good friends.

View attachment 212521

Nice! I ended up being convinced into buying a cheap tent..kind of glad I did, we've used it once on that trip in '15, and twice in the backyard.

Now that T is getting older, and I plan on doing "real" camping trips, I do want to invest in a good one. I do like the idea of a two room tent for when/if he brings a friend...and it would be really nice to stand up in a tent. Ours is almost covered wall to wall by the air mattress.lol
But when we have gone to nature places- a Cave trip last year and the hills last weekend, I always end up renting a cabin instead of dealing with a tent/gear. I'm determined to do more tent trips though!

Here's a YouTube video of a treehouse that I'm just itching to stay in.. I don't think either of us have earned enough nature stripes yet, so it may be a few years before it happens.. but it WILL happen eventually!
If you have time to watch/read it sounds really neat.. you have to hike to get to it, and hoist up your gear!

It's called the "Observatory Tree House" in Red River Gorge.

Check out this video on YouTube:

epcotisbest

Nice! I ended up being convinced into buying a cheap tent..kind of glad I did, we've used it once on that trip in '15, and twice in the backyard.

Now that T is getting older, and I plan on doing "real" camping trips, I do want to invest in a good one. I do like the idea of a two room tent for when/if he brings a friend...and it would be really nice to stand up in a tent. Ours is almost covered wall to wall by the air mattress.lol
But when we have gone to nature places- a Cave trip last year and the hills last weekend, I always end up renting a cabin instead of dealing with a tent/gear. I'm determined to do more tent trips though!

Here's a YouTube video of a treehouse that I'm just itching to stay in.. I don't think either of us have earned enough nature stripes yet, so it may be a few years before it happens.. but it WILL happen eventually!
If you have time to watch/read it sounds really neat.. you have to hike to get to it, and hoist up your gear!

It's called the "Observatory Tree House" in Red River Gorge.

Check out this video on YouTube:

Wow that tree house is amazing. Lots of steps, but with all the different living areas, separate kitchen area and that bedroom space at the top, that looks like an adventure in itself.
The thing I like best about our REI tent is I am 6'3" and can stand up in it and still have headroom. It has a mesh top, so if the weather is nice, you can leave the rain fly off and enjoy the fresh mountain air and stars. Now, if it starts raining in the middle of the night and you have to rush to put the rain fly back on, you will get soaked before you are finished...I know.
Our next one will probably be a REI Kingdom 6, very roomy and it does have two rooms, for us, more room for the dogs.
Check it out. Plenty of room for you and for T and friends:

https://www.rei.com/product/894016/rei-co-op-kingdom-6-tent

21stamps

Wow that tree house is amazing. Lots of steps, but with all the different living areas, separate kitchen area and that bedroom space at the top, that looks like an adventure in itself.
The thing I like best about our REI tent is I am 6'3" and can stand up in it and still have headroom. It has a mesh top, so if the weather is nice, you can leave the rain fly off and enjoy the fresh mountain air and stars. Now, if it starts raining in the middle of the night and you have to rush to put the rain fly back on, you will get soaked before you are finished...I know.
Our next one will probably be a REI Kingdom 6, very roomy and it does have two rooms, for us, more room for the dogs.
Check it out. Plenty of room for you and for T and friends:

https://www.rei.com/product/894016/rei-co-op-kingdom-6-tent

That looks awesome! I didn't see this listed in the description, but is it an instant tent, or do you have to deal with the poles?

epcotisbest

That looks awesome! I didn't see this listed in the description, but is it an instant tent, or do you have to deal with the poles?

No, these things are kinda a pain to put up. If you scroll down the page I sent you, there is a video showing it being put up. Ours takes two people and about 10-15 minutes to put up. Kinda a pain but worth it. And you have a strapping young man who will help!
Also scroll on down the page and there are several reviews with photos.

21stamps

No, these things are kinda a pain to put up. If you scroll down the page I sent you, there is a video showing it being put up. Ours takes two people and about 10-15 minutes to put up. Kinda a pain but worth it. And you have a strapping young man who will help!
Also scroll on down the page and there are several reviews with photos.

Just watched it and read reviews. The 'pitching a tent' thing is intimidating to me. That's one of the main reasons I was ok with buying a cheap small one. I'll have to conform I guess...I'll practice in the backyard first.lol. Tell me honestly though, once out of the bag, will it ever go back in?

epcotisbest

Just watched it and read reviews. The 'pitching a tent' thing is intimidating to me. That's one of the main reasons I was ok with buying a cheap small one. I'll have to conform I guess...I'll practice in the backyard first.lol. Tell me honestly though, once out of the bag, will it ever go back in?

Yes, and back in the bag easily if you take the time to make sure you fold it back properly. You do have to arrange the poles and stakes tightly in their bag, and then when you go to put the tent back, fold it upside down, that is with the mesh facing down. That way when you get to the end of the folding, the mesh is on the outside, which allows air to escape and you can easily compress the tent flat. Lots of people fold the tent with the outside in, then can't get all the air out when trying to stuff it back in the bag. Our tent is in its bag right now with the poles, stakes, rain fly and the optional footprint as well. Easy peasy if you are patient. If you are not, forget it and buy a bigger duffel bag to put it in. Problem solved. And, back yard practice is a wise thing to do. Plus, camp backyard is a fun place to camp to break it in.

21stamps

One of our favorite places to visit is Gettysburg and since we are only 1 1/2 away we visit there a couple times a year. So this year we decided to visit a few other civil war battlefields in the VA area. May wait until the fall to catch the leaves changing.

That sounds neat! One of the reasons I simultaneously hate and love where I currently live, is the airport here and the inconvenience/expense of international travel from this airport. It's forcing me to do more things within the region, and there really are a lot of neat places within road trip distance.

Your trip will be beautiful!

21stamps

Yes, and back in the bag easily if you take the time to make sure you fold it back properly. You do have to arrange the poles and stakes tightly in their bag, and then when you go to put the tent back, fold it upside down, that is with the mesh facing down. That way when you get to the end of the folding, the mesh is on the outside, which allows air to escape and you can easily compress the tent flat. Lots of people fold the tent with the outside in, then can't get all the air out when trying to stuff it back in the bag. Our tent is in its bag right now with the poles, stakes, rain fly and the optional footprint as well. Easy peasy if you are patient. If you are not, forget it and buy a bigger duffel bag to put it in. Problem solved. And, back yard practice is a wise thing to do. Plus, camp backyard is a fun place to camp to break it in.

I'm not patient. My little tent has never been back in the bag, I have to take an SUV camping just for it to fit. Never thought of a duffle bag before.. great idea!

I do like backyard camping mostly because my dog can come in the tent with us..I'm too scared to take him on camping trips, too many animals that could potentially harm him. He's a 4.5 lb Maltese, not really a hiking breed.

epcotisbest

I'm not patient. My little tent has never been back in the bag, I have to take an SUV camping just for it to fit. Never thought of a duffle bag before.. great idea!

I do like backyard camping mostly because my dog can come in the tent with us..I'm too scared to take him on camping trips, too many animals that could potentially harm him. He's a 4.5 lb Maltese, not really a hiking breed.

Ours are Maltipoos. They like the outdoors.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom