Where to book for family stay?

girlie mama

Original Poster
We are planning our second WDW trip in the fall, and this time are inviting both grandmothers to come with us (me, hubby and two daughters ages 6 and 9). We want ideally to stay all together but also do not want to be squished into a tiny room- what are your expert suggestions on which resort and which room type we should book? Thanks in advance!

CheshireCat12

Six people- maybe two adjoining rooms at a moderate or get a 2 BR villa? Depends what your budget is like.
Do the grandmas mind bunking together? Which resort you book boils down to budget and theme preference.

DisneyPrincess5

Like @CheshireCat12 said, your best bets are either a villa or adjoining rooms. With four adults and two children, it may be better to spring for the villa because not only will it give more space but you'd have a kitchen. There are also Art of Animation suites to check out. You'd have to compare prices, what kind of time you'd want to even spend in the room, and room sizes with amenities and see what works for you. Happy planning!

CheshireCat12

They are roundish buildings on stilts in the woods, 3 bedrooms- you can find them at Saratoga Springs. A word of caution though- I have heard it is very inconvenient to stay there unless you have your own car. Too much walking, off the beaten path. But they look beautiful! Very expensive.

alle

We are planning our second WDW trip in the fall, and this time are inviting both grandmothers to come with us (me, hubby and two daughters ages 6 and 9). We want ideally to stay all together but also do not want to be squished into a tiny room- what are your expert suggestions on which resort and which room type we should book? Thanks in advance!

Our 3-generation family of 8 (mom, dad, grandparents & 4 granddaughters) stayed in 2 adjoining rooms at Pop. We spent most of our time in the parks & found the rooms to be fine for showering & sleeping. This was an economical option & was more than adequate.

NiarrNDisney

What are the tree houses??

The Tree House Villas are an area of "Villas" attached to the Saratoga Springs resort/DVC! They are a little secret known to WDW Fans that give you a little personal space for you and your family to stay together though apart for a situation like yours! The Tree Houses are typically 3 bedroom cabins complete with a kitchen and 2 bathrooms high among the trees in the woods that allow a family to cook, grill, and chill together on the Mouses property with the family feel as well as the Mouse appeal. I think you may want to check them or Saratoga Springs out!

PAW PAW 70

When making your reservations no matter what resort hotel ask for connecting rooms. These are the rooms that have the doors between them that let's you go from one room to the other without going outside (connecting rooms). Just a suggestion.

docdebbi

for six, if you don't want to break the piggy bank i'd consider a cabin at fort wilderness. there is a living room area, full kitchen, small dining area and a separate bedroom with a double bed and 2 bunk beds. there is a murphy bed in the living room that i found to be incredibly comfortable.
the only problem is that there is only one bathroom, but kids don't tend to take very long so it's just the adults.
if however, you don't mind breaking the piggy bank, any two room villa will hold you all. our favorite is animal kingdom lodge, i think the grannies (and i am one) would enjoy the thrill of animals right off your balcony

slappy magoo

What are the tree houses??

These are the treehouses.

They're purty, they're quiet, they're unique, they have 3 bedrooms (one of them being very small with bunk beds) and with a sleeper sofa and sleeper chair they sleep 9. But a: there aren't many of them, and they're a part of the timeshare program known as Disney Vacation Club, so they are hard to get. If you decide to rent one I wish you good luck but be prepared to hear "I'm sorry, theyr'e not available for the nights of your stay." b: they're expensive, prohibitively so for many people. And c: they're remote. People who stay in them who rely on Disney buses to get to parks must first take a shuttle bus to the main Saratoga Springs property in order to get a bus to a theme park.

The cabins at Fort Wilderness are very nice, too, and sleep 6, but they're main drawback is you only get 1 bathroom. I'm not sure how close the bathrooms for the other campers are, if you wanted to save time by having one or two people schlep over there to take a shower, but otherwise it might take quite a bit of time getting in and out of the cabin in the morning.

Some Disney Vacation Club resorts have 2 Bedroom Villas, which can sleep up to 8 and have 2 or 3 bathrooms in each. Some resorts, these Villas might be less than renting 2 individual studios, others the 2 studios might be less. Either way the difference could be negligible (within 20 bucks a day) or crazy different, depending on the time of year you go. But of course, since most Disney Vacation Club properties at WDW are attached to deluxe resorts (Animal Kingdom Villas, Bay Lake Tower Villas at Contemporary, Beach Club Villas, Wilderness Lodge Villas, Grand Floridian Villas and Boardwalk Villas), you may be able to find 2 single rooms in the regular NON-DVC section of those parks that would be cheaper than a 2BR Villa in the DVC section.

A Value suite at Art of Animation would accommodate 6, but with a master bedroom suite, and a second room with a pull out sofa, a pull out chair and a sort of Murphy bed. It could still be crowded for the other 4.

The "good news" is you wouldn't be allowed to be "squished" in a single room, as they're usually only allowed to accommodate 4 MAYBE 5 people plus a child under 3 in a crib.

In terms of affordability, your best bet would probably be 2 single rooms in a Value or Moderate resort. You could get adjoining rooms. The questions are whether or not you want to go "whole hog" on your trip and stay in one of the nicest resorts, and how important it would be for you to be all together in one unit versus 2 single rooms that may have a connecting door (would you want a full kitchen to make some meals, would you want your kids to sleep in a bed versus a folding couch, things like that).

Dog Ate Mouse

One thing to keep in mind is the age of Grandma's going. Yes adjoining rooms would be the best idea because of two bathrooms so that is a plus. Second not all grandma's get along after a few days and make sure you really feel they could bunk together without issues. Third if grandma's are a little older you might want to consider 1 rst floor rooms so they do not have to worry about stairs. Keep in mind the distance they may have to walk to main lobby's for breakfast and gift shops and the bus locations. Lastly make sure that if a grandma or two is a little slower, that your reservations for dinners or breakfast has more time than normal to allow them to comfortably walk instead of a fast pace. I think if you keep these things in mind that you will have a wonderfull family trip with grandma's included. I know you have children, and you need to make sure the kids have a ball along with Mom and Dad. Don't forget to take a little time to make the grandma's feel special two.

PAW PAW 70

Remember adjourning rooms do not have a door between them. You must ask for connecting rooms which gives you the door between rooms.

allidog1

The last time I stayed in the Saratoga Spring in a Tree House it was not part of the vacation club, but I stayed there with 4 adults, 2 teens, and 2 kids; so it is plenty big. Unless you plan to spend a lot of time or eat in the room a lot I would go with either Cabins at Fort Wilderness or get two rooms at another resort. The Cabins are me favorite place to stay and still have a little more space than one hotel room. It really depends on how much you want to spend and what park you want to be near.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom