Where is the expansion to Marvel Super Hero Island that insiders said was coming? And when is Storm ride reopening?

JT3000

Yeah, sure they dropped it in favor of Jimmy or whatever because "insiders" told you...Very simple. Wanna buy a bridge that I have for sale?

Btw, I'm not looking to pick a fight dude. You and others are being passive aggressive to me calling people out who were being rude in that OT to the point of extreme arrogance and I'm responding in kind.
"Responding in kind?" In other words, you are looking to pick a fight. Five years later. Because a theme park rumor didn't pan out. Just think about that for a moment. Did you not pick up any new hobbies during quarantine?

lazyboy97o

"Responding in kind?" In other words, you are looking to pick a fight. Five years later. Because a theme park rumor didn't pan out. Just think about that for a moment. Did you not pick up any new hobbies during quarantine?
And unless he is violating the terms of service by using a sock puppet account, a thread in which he did not even participate.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster

Yes I did pick up plenty of new hobbies during these trying times! Thank you so much for asking!

Still not looking for a "fight", but if thinking that will help you sleep better at night then you do you.

And unless he is violating the terms of service by using a sock puppet account, a thread in which he did not even participate.

I can understand why you are upset.

Disneyhead'71

Reading through this thread:

I saw a lot of posts from some - I believe - known insiders saying Universal was working on expansion, new rides, etc for Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA that were supposed to come out "soon". I am not going to quote them, but to put it mildly these posters were VERY confident in their leaks to the point of patronizing everyone else....and yet we have heard absolutely nothing since then. They were talking about a large Avengers presence, new rides, E ticket attractions, redoing Doom's crappy COTS ride, thematic upgrades to the land, Potter-like Marvel land and so on .

It's been 6 years since that thread and the MCU has only gotten significantly bigger. Since then Disney has opened Mission Breakout in California and announced Worldwide plans for their Avenger Campus (outside of Orlando, of course). Universal has announced and started construction on a brand new park in Orlando, released images and started construction on Super Nintendo World in 3 places, officially announced and opened Volcano Bay, started construction in Beijing, Velocicoaster at IoA, etc....and yet absolutely nothing on Marvel Super Hero Island besides a Hulk refurbishment and reskin that same year (I believe that's all they are really allowed to do without risking being sued). No ride replacements, no new rides, no Avengers, no E ticket attractions, still the same ol' Doom ride. We got nothing, not even an announcement or credible leak.

The contract is iron clad but ambiguous. Marvel has requested a Demand for Arbitration at least three times against Universal in 2002/2003 for breach of contract and the 1 ruling that I could find resulted in Universal having to pay Marvel $600,000 even though Universal claimed the ruling was favorable to them.

Given the ambiguity and open nature of the contract I highly doubt Universal would want to chance anything just to be sued by Disney, who has more expensive lawyers than Marvel in 2003. They would not want to risk losing out on a valuable IP license that they got for dirt cheap (and pay dirt cheap yearly).

Which brings me to my final point. I wonder how long Storm Force Acceleration can stay closed. The contract allows Universal to close attractions for refurbishment/maintenance (as long as it's being pursued) and force majeure events (which is what this would fall under). Given that capacity seems to be increasing and most of the attractions are open at both WDW and Universal/IOA I wouldn't be surprised if a letter has been/will be sent telling them to open the attraction or risk a breach of contract.
Universal Creative was working on an Iron Legion attraction which had a bunch of Iron Man type suits suspended by cables from a dolly on an overhead track. They fiddled with the idea for a while and couldn't get it to work. Here is the patent.

universal-ironman-ride.jpg

Then they tried suspending Kuka robot arms from an overhead track and that proved cost prohibitive and everyone hated the claustrophobic and restrictive "suits".

The project was shelved when Nintendo entered the picture.

Last edited:

jeanericuser001

Universal Creative was working on an Iron Legion attraction which had a bunch of Iron Man type suits suspended by cables from a dolly on an overhead track. They fiddled with the idea for a while and couldn't get it to work. Here is the patent.

Then they tried suspending Kuka robot arms from an overhead track and that proved cost prohibitive and everyone hated the claustrophobic and restrictive "suits".

I can't decide if this reminds me of an iron maiden or the demon maker from I frankenstein.

PostScott

"Plans change" is a very, very convenient excuse.

So yes, very convenient indeed.
Dude 😂 why do you sound so upset at all of this. You think any of us know the actual answer? If you really want to know then either ask the upper people at UC themselves... or the more fun route. Get a job at universal and work yourself up for the next few years with the motivation and drive to know why they scrapped these rumors and then ask someone, then once you know you can quit lol.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster

Companies file patents all the time for a plethora of reasons ranging from protecting their interest to new ideas that make it to market to try to make money off the patent to nothingburgers.

People were loud about that being an Iron Man ride at the time because 1) That patent came to the public eye a bit after the Hulk coaster refurbishment and 2) Supposed insiders were hyping up this huge IOA expansion that we now know was a big BS. IIRC there is no wording in the patent mentioning Iron Man or Marvel. If I'm wrong point me to the actual patent and I'll stand corrected. The patent's wording is something like people going inside a robot suit with a helmet and chest plate. Ironman doesn't have exclusivity to robot suits, helmets or chest plates. If - and this is a big if - Universal was building a ride based on the patent, how would one know it's not for Samus for Nintendoland? How about Transformers? How do we know it's not for Megaman or Robocop, both of which Universal could easily acquire the license. How do we know for sure it's Ironman? Because of the circumstantial thing that looks like an Arc Reactor in the middle even though the suit but really could be anything and the suit looks nothing like Iron Man? The truth is, we don't know. It's just people were saying Ironman ride because that's what they wanted to believe, not based on facts.

Comcast has more than enough wherewithal to support multiple projects and expansions. In fact they are doing so. It would be extremely gullible to believe that they dropped a project in the premier theme park location in the world for one of the biggest names in entertainment with worldwide name recognition because they got the Nintendo license. Especially when they have and had other projects at the same time with much lesser name recognition.

Dude 😂 why do you sound so upset at all of this. You think any of us know the actual answer? If you really want to know then either ask the upper people at UC themselves... or the more fun route. Get a job at universal and work yourself up for the next few years with the motivation and drive to know why they scrapped these rumors and then ask someone, then once you know you can quit lol.
No one here knows which is my point. Good job figuring that part out. They didn't scrap anything because nothing was ever in development. Funny how everyone thinks I'm mad, including the one post you quoted from me.

I shutter at the thought for working for Universal, know plenty of people there at the SM/Director level. They wouldn't know anything either.

JT3000

How do you know anyone does?
Someone already posted evidence that an Iron Man ride was in development. What more do you need? :rolleyes: Do you expect the head of UC to come into this thread and say "Oh yeah, that's something we were working on, but it got scrapped because _______?" Sorry, but you're wasting your time here if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Someone already posted evidence that an Iron Man ride was in development. What more do you need? :rolleyes: Do you expect the head of UC to come into this thread and say "Oh yeah, that's something we were working on, but it got scrapped because _______?" Sorry, but you're wasting your time here if that's what you're looking for.
An insider rumor killed his brother!

Disney Maddux

Ima get flack for this, but a reimagining of this concept to turn the Galactus event from Fortnite into a full ride would be amazing, and it pains me to know it'll more than likely never happen.

Tom Morrow

I never understood the fascination some people have with trying to discredit insiders. Op is not the first and probably won't be the last.
Anyone who pays enough attention and perhaps knows a reasonable amount of people working in the parks knows enough to make educated guesses that they could pass off as "insider knowledge." There are of course posters who have a proven track record, but there's also many that pop up with no record. In my opinion, it makes sense to question them.

JT3000

I never understood the fascination some people have with trying to discredit insiders. Op is not the first and probably won't be the last.
It's because most "insiders" aren't actually insiders, they just claim to be for the rep. Some actually have a vague idea of what's really going on, at least with a particular project, but most just spread completely fake rumors. The discrediting of insiders is a natural backlash. But then you have the people who take the word of real insiders as gospel, which is also a problem, because things are always in flux and can change quite a bit between the time we get a post from a loose-lipped insider and the time when something actually happens, hurting their own reputation and adding further doubt about insiders as a whole, all because they spoke up too soon. Insiders always want to be the first with the scoop, but they also need to be accurate. It's a balancing act.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom