Where is the expansion to Marvel Super Hero Island that insiders said was coming? And when is Storm ride reopening?

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster
Reading through this thread:

I saw a lot of posts from some - I believe - known insiders saying Universal was working on expansion, new rides, etc for Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA that were supposed to come out "soon". I am not going to quote them, but to put it mildly these posters were VERY confident in their leaks to the point of patronizing everyone else....and yet we have heard absolutely nothing since then. They were talking about a large Avengers presence, new rides, E ticket attractions, redoing Doom's crappy COTS ride, thematic upgrades to the land, Potter-like Marvel land and so on .

It's been 6 years since that thread and the MCU has only gotten significantly bigger. Since then Disney has opened Mission Breakout in California and announced Worldwide plans for their Avenger Campus (outside of Orlando, of course). Universal has announced and started construction on a brand new park in Orlando, released images and started construction on Super Nintendo World in 3 places, officially announced and opened Volcano Bay, started construction in Beijing, Velocicoaster at IoA, etc....and yet absolutely nothing on Marvel Super Hero Island besides a Hulk refurbishment and reskin that same year (I believe that's all they are really allowed to do without risking being sued). No ride replacements, no new rides, no Avengers, no E ticket attractions, still the same ol' Doom ride. We got nothing, not even an announcement or credible leak.

The contract is iron clad but ambiguous. Marvel has requested a Demand for Arbitration at least three times against Universal in 2002/2003 for breach of contract and the 1 ruling that I could find resulted in Universal having to pay Marvel $600,000 even though Universal claimed the ruling was favorable to them.

Given the ambiguity and open nature of the contract I highly doubt Universal would want to chance anything just to be sued by Disney, who has more expensive lawyers than Marvel in 2003. They would not want to risk losing out on a valuable IP license that they got for dirt cheap (and pay dirt cheap yearly).

Which brings me to my final point. I wonder how long Storm Force Acceleration can stay closed. The contract allows Universal to close attractions for refurbishment/maintenance (as long as it's being pursued) and force majeure events (which is what this would fall under). Given that capacity seems to be increasing and most of the attractions are open at both WDW and Universal/IOA I wouldn't be surprised if a letter has been/will be sent telling them to open the attraction or risk a breach of contract.

jeanericuser001

Universal right now is basically coasting until things improve. Covid has locked down a lot of things and universal is already heavily invested with a new theme park on the way. The plans for any major upgrades IOA or US are pretty much shelved in favor of the plans in the future. For now nothing much will be changing at universal until at least 2025 if not later.

PostScott

Well, I'm sure that there were always plans to refresh and add to Marvel Island, but like how the creative teams at Disney have hundreds of ideas for every park and every land in case they can make something out of it. I'm sure there are ideas to improve every land in IOA and USF. However, the percentage of the amount of ideas that get far is very small. I don't doubt that there were many ideas for Marvel Island, but like the guy above said, plans change, esp when it ties into a contract with one of the biggest companies in the world.

Any living plans to refurb/refresh Marvel Island have most likely died because of Covid.

OG Runner

How convenient.
Okay, I will ask, how in any way do you feel having to bring expansion plans, which included another park, is convenient.
If you are saying it is a convenient excuse, well, it is one shared with most of the country, including their competition.
I mean why hasn't Disneyland opened the Avenger Campus? Oh yeah, Disneyland is closed but order of the California
government. You consider that a convenient excuse?

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster
Well, I'm sure that there were always plans to refresh and add to Marvel Island, but like how the creative teams at Disney have hundreds of ideas for every park and every land in case they can make something out of it. I'm sure there are ideas to improve every land in IOA and USF. However, the percentage of the amount of ideas that get far is very small. I don't doubt that there were many ideas for Marvel Island, but like the guy above said, plans change, esp when it ties into a contract with one of the biggest companies in the world.

Any living plans to refurb/refresh Marvel Island have most likely died because of Covid.

I am certain there hasn't been any plans and people were just spreading FUD.

As I mentioned in the OP there has been a crapload of announcements by both Disney regarding their Marvel plans and Universal expansions, including in IOA with Velocicoaster, yet nothing on MSHI even though Marvel has grown exponentially in popularity in the 6 years since that thread was made.

"Plans change" is a very, very convenient excuse.

EDIT: Refurb is not a problem. They have done so twice IIRC. Once with SM and once with Hulk. What people were saying was a MAJOR expansion.

Okay, I will ask, how in any way do you feel having to bring expansion plans, which included another park, is convenient.
If you are saying it is a convenient excuse, well, it is one shared with most of the country, including their competition.
I mean why hasn't Disneyland opened the Avenger Campus? Oh yeah, Disneyland is closed but order of the California
government. You consider that a convenient excuse?

What does covid have to do with anything?

The thread is from 2015, 5 years before covid. People were saying then it's coming in the next year or two with Avengers E-Ticket, blah blah blah. Speaking of Avengers Campus, that wasn't even rumored back then and people were calling Disney out on it, but since then it has been announced and construction started. Where is the announcement for this huge expansion at IoA for MSHI that all theses posters were saying with 100% certainty was coming in the next year or two (meaning 2016, 2017)?

So yes, very convenient indeed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I saw a lot of posts from some - I believe - known insiders saying Universal was working on expansion, new rides, etc for Marvel Super Hero Island at IOA that were supposed to come out "soon". I am not going to quote them, but to put it mildly these posters were VERY confident in their leaks to the point of patronizing everyone else....and yet we have heard absolutely nothing since then. They were talking about a large Avengers presence, new rides, E ticket attractions, redoing Doom's crappy COTS ride, thematic upgrades to the land, Potter-like Marvel land and so on .

I remember insiders talking about a Iron Man ride for an Marvel Island expansion.

I also remember insiders saying Uni decided not to go through with it. Which makes sense since they were spending tons of money on Hagrid, Jurassic Park, and Epic Universe.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster
There were but if you just want to be angry at people over something that was stopped years ago then go for it.
There were....people spreading FUD.

I remember insiders talking about a Iron Man ride for an Marvel Island expansion.

I also remember insiders saying Uni decided not to go through with it. Which makes sense since they were spending tons of money on Hagrid, Jurassic Park, and Epic Universe.

I can imagine the conversation and decision at the board of directors.

Hey guys, best use of capital? A) Expand MSHI and cash in on the MCU's popularity or B) A ride based on Jimmy Fallon and his falling TV ratings where no one outside the US know who he is?

JT3000

If someone started a thread for every rumor that didn't come to fruition, do you have any idea how many useless threads this forum would have?

You want new Marvel attractions at Universal. I get it. But you're not getting one. So... maybe let it go?

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster
If someone started a thread for every rumor that didn't come to fruition, do you have any idea how many useless threads this forum would have?

You want new Marvel attractions at Universal. I get it. But you're not getting one. So... maybe let it go?

Not sure what you want me to let go of.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There were....people spreading FUD.

I can imagine the conversation and decision at the board of directors.

Hey guys, best use of capital? A) Expand MSHI and cash in on the MCU's popularity or B) A ride based on Jimmy Fallon and his falling TV ratings where no one outside the US know who he is?
Whatever the reason, they dropped it. Insiders told us so. Very simple.

This could have been just a question: "Hey, what happened to the supposed Marvel ride at Uni?"

Rather than looking to pick a fight.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Original Poster
Whatever the reason, they dropped it. Insiders told us so. Very simple.

This could have been just a question: "Hey, what happened to the supposed Marvel ride at Uni?"

Rather than looking to pick a fight.

Yeah, sure they dropped it in favor of Jimmy or whatever because "insiders" told you...Very simple. Wanna buy a bridge that I have for sale?

Btw, I'm not looking to pick a fight dude. You and others are being passive aggressive to me calling people out who were being rude in that OT to the point of extreme arrogance and I'm responding in kind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom