Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Nemo14

So we went for a drive through Smoky Mountain National Park tonight, intending to watch the sunset. It was too cloudy for a good sunset but instead we saw 5 bears (2 bears together at one point and a mom and 3 cute little cubs at another), lots of turkeys, lots of deer, and a fox being chased by a deer. It was awesome!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So we went for a drive through Smoky Mountain National Park tonight, intending to watch the sunset. It was too cloudy for a good sunset but instead we saw 5 bears (2 bears together at one point and a mom and 3 cute little cubs at another), lots of turkeys, lots of deer, and a fox being chased by a deer. It was awesome!!!!!!!!

Wow! The bears came out to welcome you!

Oh wait ... wrong image.

I meant this one --

:happy:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
On our way we came across this guy - love his face!!!

Oh my gosh! You must have been close to that bear, to get such a clear photo of his face. :jawdrop:

P.S.: Do you know why they call that range the "Smokey" Mountains? Wondering if it maybe had to do with a fire in that area (for example) a long time ago, or it it's perhaps related to fog or morning mist that might mimic a "smokey" appearance?

Goofyernmost

Oh my gosh! You must have been close to that bear, to get such a clear photo of his face. :jawdrop:

P.S.: Do you know why they call that range the "Smokey" Mountains? Wondering if it maybe had to do with a fire in that area (for example) a long time ago, or it it's perhaps related to fog or morning mist that might mimic a "smokey" appearance?
The answer is that last thing. It always seems to be misty/foggy there. I'm sure there is a very good scientific explanation, but, I don't know what that explanation is and am to lazy to look it up. That said, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the "nickname" got its full usage back in the prohibition years when there were more stills cooking away in those mountains than trees.

Nemo14

The bear was right on the side of the road. Fortunately my camera has a decent zoom.

As far as the name, I found this

What’s in a Name: Great Smoky (Smokey, Smokie) Mountains National Park
How did the Great Smoky Mountains National Park get its name? The Smokies are named for the blue mist that always seems to hover around the peaks and valleys. The Cherokee called them shaconage, (shah-con-ah-jey) or “place of the blue smoke”.

As for the spelling, just as many folks call them “smokey” as do those who call them “smoky”. The dictionary says both are acceptable. Whether you say Smokies, Smokys, or Smokys doesn’t really matter. They all conjure up the same vision that millions of visitors each year take with them after visiting the Park. As for the “Great” in Great Smoky Mountains, you will have to visit the Smokies to fully understand that part of the name.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I was watching a story yesterday about this new hotel (actually, an amazing refurbished TWA terminal at JFK). Got to be one of the coolest hotel experiences. Opened yesterday; sold out first day. The hotel designers kept all the incredible features of this retro masterpiece.

If you click on the link below, in the upper left hand corner, (Menu), you can click on all the cool features. I really like the 1962 sunken lounge, including the original flight display board, showing the (old) TWA flight status. The menu includes old cocktail favorites from that era. They have some nice restaurants, too. The guest rooms have the TWA amenities.

https://www.twahotel.com/the-sunken-lounge

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom