Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Eric1955

Is "Church street" indicative of the area? Is that where all the churches were originally?
I love how close you are with your sister...so sweet. She obviously adores you.

It’s a street in downtown Orlando with a lot of bars and restaurants. It was close to the arena, so we just walked down there to grab something to eat.

Last edited:

Eric1955

School nurses. Not a thing in my experience.
Any one else?

I’ve only ever seen them on TV. We never had school nurses at any of the schools I went to. This was private school though, so I do t know if that’s why.
In related news, I wish nurses still wore white uniforms and nursing caps.

My first family doctor used to wear a collared shirt and tie with a white lab coat. My second doctor wore dresses and a lab coat. My current doctor wears ripped jeans and tees and talks Disney with me.

I completely agree about the uniforms and caps, but you probably already knew that.

Eric1955

I don't know how much longer you'll be there, but you should take them to DeLeon Springs to the little restaurant there. Your table top is a griddle and you make your own pancakes, french toast, etc. It's fun and the people are very nice.

Thanks, I don’t think we’ll be able to make it there. We have reservations tonight at Hollerbach’s and we leave tomorrow after church.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Any one else?

When I was a kid in school, there was one. But she covered a few schools--more of regional job. All I recall was that a classmate of mine had a sore throat and was sent to the nurse (who happened to be in our school that day). She called his mother who came to the school to bring him home.

I'm guessing it must have been some sort of requirement to have a nurse "available" for a few schools, but I don't remember any kids getting meds or other treatment, per se. I think the nurse served as more of a point person, to refer kids home with a parent, or in a rare serious case--to call an ambulance to a hospital.

Songbird76

I watch so many tv shows that feature school nurses.

I went to 4 different elementary schools and two different high schools; my boys went to one elementary school and one went to two different high schools ... not a single school nurse in sight. Or on site.
Really? They don't have them here in the Netherlands either, but there was always one at every school I ever went to or taught at. I was sent to the school nurse many times for scraped knees, fevers, getting sick, etc...and the school nurse administered mouthwash once a week in each class, checked for polio and lice once a year, and she taught us all about what to expect in puberty when we were in 5th or 6th grade.
I asked my husband what kids do here if they get sick, because we were always sent to the nurse's office to go lie down and she would check our temp, give us aspirin, etc. He said they just call you and you come pick them up. I asked where they waited because our nurse's office had 2 of those paper-lined beds that doctors' offices always have. He said you just had to go wait by the front doors. Yikes...I can't even imagine having to stand there while you feel awful. I was usually sound asleep by the time my mom came to pick me up. Sure enough, every time one of my kids got sick, it was the teacher who called and they had to stand by the door to wait for me.
What do you do in Canada if you get sick at school?

NYwdwfan

Maybe it’s the socialized medicine thing up here.

Is the nurse full time? What medicine or treatment can he/she dispense?
Both the district I grew up in and the one my kids go to now have a nurse in every building. Any medication a kid needs during the day needs to be stored at the nurse’s office. They call you when your kid is sick. My kids just text me because they don’t want to go to the “petri dish of a nurses office where all the puking kids are”. I’ll let you guess which of my cherubs came up with that description.

Songbird76

When I was a kid in school, there was one. But she covered a few schools--more of regional job. All I recall was that a classmate of mine had a sore throat and was sent to the nurse (who happened to be in our school that day). She called his mother who came to the school to bring him home.

I'm guessing it must have been some sort of requirement to have a nurse "available" for a few schools, but I don't remember any kids getting meds or other treatment, per se. I think the nurse served as more of a point person, to refer kids home with a parent, or in a rare serious case--to call an ambulance to a hospital.
I remember we shared our school nurse between the elementary and high school. So she must have been 1/2 time at each....or maybe she spent a little more time at the elementary school because usually, by high school, kids don't need the school nurse as much. Ours cleaned up a lot of playground accidents involving scraped knees or bumps on the head that needed ice packs. She could take your temp, and she could give medicines like aspirin or pepto bismol, if it was in your file that that was allowed. But even if she wasn't there at the time, the office ladies could check your temp and bandage you up. And I never had any meds to take, but I know that any kids who needed insulin shots had to go to the nurse for them.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Really? They don't have them here in the Netherlands either, but there was always one at every school I ever went to or taught at. I was sent to the school nurse many times for scraped knees, fevers, getting sick, etc...and the school nurse administered mouthwash once a week in each class, checked for polio and lice once a year, and she taught us all about what to expect in puberty when we were in 5th or 6th grade.
I asked my husband what kids do here if they get sick, because we were always sent to the nurse's office to go lie down and she would check our temp, give us aspirin, etc. He said they just call you and you come pick them up. I asked where they waited because our nurse's office had 2 of those paper-lined beds that doctors' offices always have. He said you just had to go wait by the front doors. Yikes...I can't even imagine having to stand there while you feel awful. I was usually sound asleep by the time my mom came to pick me up. Sure enough, every time one of my kids got sick, it was the teacher who called and they had to stand by the door to wait for me.
What do you do in Canada if you get sick at school?
Same.

HouCuseChickie

Maybe it’s the socialized medicine thing up here.

Is the nurse full time? What medicine or treatment can he/she dispense?

All of our schools have full time nurses here and I'm so thankful for it. DD12 has life threatening food allergies and the nurse will be the one responsible for getting her full medical plan into action if she were to have a reaction at school. The nurse would have to cover at least her first injection from her epinephrine injector as well as the oral antihistimine. If emergency services took a while to get there, the nurse would also have to do the second epinephrine injection.

Then you have DD10 who plays hard at recess and PE...and really everything. I get calls from their nurse whenever she overdoes it and has some kind of epic wipe out :hilarious:

Tick Tock

Nurses and office staff are the unsung heroes of schools.
Well said. We also can't forget the janitors.

My elementary school had a school nurse. It was a small room adjacent to the Principal's office. I always found that a bit comical, considering that if you got an upset stomach over being sent to the Principal's... you had the nurse to run to just next door.

Throughout my K-5th grade years there... I never once had to visit either the nurse.

PUSH

Original Poster
Well said. We also can't forget the janitors.
Our custodians aren't great... they don't care and none of them fully do their jobs. The day one never checks bathrooms for soap or paper towels that need replacing, and he once took 3 hours to come to my room and clean up #1 that was on my floor (wasn't any of my kids... I think a kindergartner came in and did it while I was at a meeting and my kids were at a special). Our night custodians miss our rooms half the time, and they make messes in the workroom and leave it a disgusting mess so nobody wants to go in there.

But I'm taking nothing away from good custodians! Those ones are amazing!

Goofyernmost

Any one else?
We had school nurses in elementary school. I don't think they were real nurses, I think they were just Nuns that were assigned that job because they knew how to apply band-aids. Mostly though they were there to check and see if you were bleeding from the ears. If you weren't you were sent back to class. If there was no blood coming from the head area, you weren't sick. In High School, we did have legitimate nurses, but, they acted pretty much the same as the Elementary ones did.

Tick Tock

Our custodians aren't great... they don't care and none of them fully do their jobs. The day one never checks bathrooms for soap or paper towels that need replacing, and he once took 3 hours to come to my room and clean up #1 that was on my floor (wasn't any of my kids... I think a kindergartner came in and did it while I was at a meeting and my kids were at a special). Our night custodians miss our rooms half the time, and they make messes in the workroom and leave it a disgusting mess so nobody wants to go in there.
Wow. Sounds like they need to get on the ball or get out the door. No excuse for that.

PUSH

Original Poster
Wow. Sounds like they need to get on the ball or get out the door. No excuse for that.
Yeah... but there aren't a lot of people around here who want to fill those positions. Especially a night custodian who works from 2-10pm. That's not the most attractive job. Very mundane. Same exact thing every night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom