Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I can't wait to know what I'm going to be when I grow up. I never did. I fought with myself internally for many years because it is hard to succeed when you don't really know what you can do or what you can do exceptionally well. I had numerous little part time jobs when in High School. I had worked with my father with trucks, worked at gas stations, stock clerk in a local grocery. You know the regular teen stuff.

When I went to college I didn't have a lot of free time. I had a car and insurance I was paying for via my parents and they were tougher on late payments then any bank ever thought of being. But I did have a part time job driving a delivery van with supplies to Doctors offices and hospitals. My major in college was Business Management. I graduated from college on June 3, 1968 and on June 4th I was on my way to Amarillo, Texas for U.S. Air Force basic training. After what seemed like years, Basic ended and I went to Lowry AFB in Denver, Co. for training in inventory and supply. I was sent to Niagara Falls International Airport to the small Air Force Base there. That wasn't bad duty, but did cause me to overdo on the Boone's Farm selection of fine wines. After only a few months I got my orders to Bien Hoa AFB, So. Vietnam. That year cannot be described. I caught a break on my return by being stationed in St. Albans, Vt. which was about 22 miles from my actual home. I finished off my 4 year military service there and just before I was discharged I got married.

From that point on it has been a mix of many things. First Retail Store Manager (Ben Franklin Store), Publishing and Printing company eventually becoming General Manager and Vice President, Left that when I purchased with my wife, a Residential Care Home. Housing Physically and Mentally Challenged plus some elderly. Learned a lot about health care and meal planning and dealing with people with problems. Due to changes in the philosophy of the mental health unit in our town they decided that people shouldn't be in a "home" of sorts, but in private apartments fending for themselves. Understandable but it took away most of my clients so I had to close it down.

Then came a huge assortment of things, not necessarily in the order. Worked on the clean room line in IBM, Was office manager of an Earth Moving Company, Got my Real Estate Sales license, just as the Real Estate business dropped to almost nothing. Back Briefly to IBM, A short tenure working as a travel agent before the owners were arrested for something, then to a large Industrial Construction Company as an accounts payable and contract monitor on assigned jobs, Worked part time for a local school district processing and managing payroll and benefits for the school district. Got divorced somewhere in that mess and decided to be a tour bus driver. I trained for that and got my Commercial Drivers License. That was on Sept. 8, 2001. On September 11th some bad stuff happened that shutdown touring for almost two years. While waiting I accepted a job with our local Bus Company driving routes in the city for about three years and was offered a job there in management until I retired in 2010. Since then I have been working on and off, but mostly off.

Sorry for the length of this, but I got carried away once I started, I tend to do that a lot. However, you can see that one can get through life without a specific career in mind. Probably not wealthy from it, and certainly tired from relearning different careers every few years. But I tended to get bored and the need to change often. I think the ones that I might have fallen into easily are the ones that, due to no fault of my own, were cut short by economic and personal reasons. At least now I have time to fret over what ever pain I wake up with.

My goodness, you were busy! You're a survivor, and that's a bragging rights career right there! :happy:

Songbird76

I can't wait to know what I'm going to be when I grow up. I never did. I fought with myself internally for many years because it is hard to succeed when you don't really know what you can do or what you can do exceptionally well. I had numerous little part time jobs when in High School. I had worked with my father with trucks, worked at gas stations, stock clerk in a local grocery. You know the regular teen stuff.

When I went to college I didn't have a lot of free time. I had a car and insurance I was paying for via my parents and they were tougher on late payments then any bank ever thought of being. But I did have a part time job driving a delivery van with supplies to Doctors offices and hospitals. My major in college was Business Management. I graduated from college on June 3, 1968 and on June 4th I was on my way to Amarillo, Texas for U.S. Air Force basic training. After what seemed like years, Basic ended and I went to Lowry AFB in Denver, Co. for training in inventory and supply. I was sent to Niagara Falls International Airport to the small Air Force Base there. That wasn't bad duty, but did cause me to overdo on the Boone's Farm selection of fine wines. After only a few months I got my orders to Bien Hoa AFB, So. Vietnam. That year cannot be described. I caught a break on my return by being stationed in St. Albans, Vt. which was about 22 miles from my actual home. I finished off my 4 year military service there and just before I was discharged I got married.

From that point on it has been a mix of many things. First Retail Store Manager (Ben Franklin Store), Publishing and Printing company eventually becoming General Manager and Vice President, Left that when I purchased with my wife, a Residential Care Home. Housing Physically and Mentally Challenged plus some elderly. Learned a lot about health care and meal planning and dealing with people with problems. Due to changes in the philosophy of the mental health unit in our town they decided that people shouldn't be in a "home" of sorts, but in private apartments fending for themselves. Understandable but it took away most of my clients so I had to close it down.

Then came a huge assortment of things, not necessarily in the order. Worked on the clean room line in IBM, Was office manager of an Earth Moving Company, Got my Real Estate Sales license, just as the Real Estate business dropped to almost nothing. Back Briefly to IBM, A short tenure working as a travel agent before the owners were arrested for something, then to a large Industrial Construction Company as an accounts payable and contract monitor on assigned jobs, Worked part time for a local school district processing and managing payroll and benefits for the school district. Got divorced somewhere in that mess and decided to be a tour bus driver. I trained for that and got my Commercial Drivers License. That was on Sept. 8, 2001. On September 11th some bad stuff happened that shutdown touring for almost two years. While waiting I accepted a job with our local Bus Company driving routes in the city for about three years and was offered a job there in management until I retired in 2010. Since then I have been working on and off, but mostly off.

Sorry for the length of this, but I got carried away once I started, I tend to do that a lot. However, you can see that one can get through life without a specific career in mind. Probably not wealthy from it, and certainly tired from relearning different careers every few years. But I tended to get bored and the need to change often. I think the ones that I might have fallen into easily are the ones that, due to no fault of my own, were cut short by economic and personal reasons. At any rate you wouldn't believe how pages my full Resume has. At least now I have time to fret over what ever pain I wake up with.
I always wanted to teach, from the time I was a little girl, but then I didn't really know about many other careers. My world was very very small. When I was in junior high, I realized I was a pretty decent singer, but was undecided what to do with that. I remember one year, the new band teacher, who was actually good that year, gave me advice that if I wanted a career in music, I should get it in education, because you don't need a degree to perform, but if you get a degree in music performance, that's all you can do. If you get it in education, you can still perform, or you can teach if you need a fall back. So that's what I planned. Then I got to college and realized I really don't like performing solo, so that was never going to be a good career for me. And it wasn't until I actually became a music teacher that I realized I am NOT good at classroom management, and I don't like teaching. If I could have just taught k-3rd grade, I'd love it. But I HATED the pre-teens. 5th and 6th graders are awful. So my degree is pretty worthless because I don't want to be a teacher, and I'm not good enough to make it as a performer, even if I liked it, which I don't.

I don't really have any particular skills or talents beyond that. So here I am, working in a warehouse because there isn't much else I'm fit for. I am not a good housekeeper, I don't enjoy cooking, and there's really nothing else I can think of that I'm good at and would like to make a career out of. If I could get paid to read books, I'd be in business. I have, in the past, beta read books for a friend of mine, and she said usually that would be paid work and I should totally do that, but I'm not an entrepreneur at all....I wouldn't know how to set up a business. I did respond to an ad once about beta reading, but I have no degree or paid experience, so I never even heard back from the company. They want people already in the business, with degrees in Literature or English, etc. I'd have to go back to school.

I applied for the company I work with now because I actually wanted to work in retail. I enjoyed that work, and I think I was pretty good at it. (Bookstore would be AWESOME) When they called me, it was not for a position in the store, but in the warehouse. I thought maybe I could work my way up, but the actual store closed not too long after I was hired, so that never happened. I've been working in the same position for 12 years now...I guess that's just what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life. But at least I still have a job. So many people have lost their jobs this year, and had I been working in a store, I would have been one of them.

PUSH

Original Poster
My work history is not as long as some of yours, but here's mine. **Adding this note after I typed the post: This ended up being a really long post for my short work history! 😂**

In high school I originally applied to college with an intent to go into accounting. I liked the accounting class I was in as a senior at the time. But a couple months later, I hated it. So boring. After that, I switched to "undecided". I then decided on education, but wasn't sure which level. I just kind of decided elementary education for no great reason, other than I thought I'd like it. I had never worked with kids before, and I really had no interaction with kids since there weren't any in my family who were young. In my Intro to Education class, we observed classes at all grade levels, and I really gravitated toward the elementary level. I didn't care really at all about the middle and high school classes. So I stuck with it, as I was enjoying my classes, too. Well, my education classes... my gen eds were useless.

It wasn't until my junior year that I got real experience working with kids and actually being a "teacher", when I did my pre-student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom. I loved it. It was crazy to me how attached you can get to the kids in such a short time. I then did my early childhood student teaching the following semester, and that was okay, but not what I wanted to do. That was in a preschool class with 3-5 year olds. Not my cup of tea. Then in my senior year I did my real student teaching in 4th grade for one quarter, which I loved. And kindergarten for the other quarter. I liked that, but I really thought I wanted 3rd grade as my target, but would love 4th, too. I couldn't see myself doing anything under 2nd. So really 2-3 were my targets, with 4th as another option.

My first interview was with the school I was currently student teaching at in kindergarten. I thought I was prepared, but it's impossible to know what a real interview setting is like until you got there. Needless to say, I did not get the job. I applied many more places and got many more interviews, and I had prepared much harder for those interviews since I actually knew what to expect. A handful of the interviews called and said they went with another option. One 2nd grade position said the principal "went out of town without internet, which is why I haven't heard back, but I'm still in the running" (aka their first choice bailed, and they were waiting on their second choice to decide, but didn't want to rule me out as their 3rd option). One place offered me a 1st grade position, but I was in another interview at the time I received the message. I was 2 hours away from home, so I decided to think about it on the way home and call back later. It wasn't my ideal situation... it was literally a school in the middle of nowhere... only fields and bluffs around it. No other buildings. But on the way back home, they called again. I didn't answer because I didn't know what to say, and I was on the road. Well, turns out that call was to tell me that they did not hear back from me, so they went ahead and offered it to someone else who accepted. This was literally no more than an hour after they left me the voice mail. Glad I didn't take that not. Those aren't the type of people I want to work for.

Then the place I was interviewing at when they left the voice mail offered me a 5th grade position. I said I would take the weekend to think about it and see if I could look for a place to live, since it was 2 hours away. I wasn't sold on the place, either, especially moving that far from home. I had two other applications out to a school in my hometown, as well as the place I currently work. I told myself that if I got interviews there, I would turn down the offer and test my luck. Well, I got interviews at both places, so I turned down the offer. This was in the middle of July, so it was getting pretty late in the hiring process, and I was really testing my luck.

I interviewed for 1st grade at my current school (can you guess if I got it?), and then I was called back for a second interview about a week later. They offered me the job (via text... literally), and I accepted right away. I called to cancel a couple other interviews I had lined up, including the one in my hometown that wasn't for another week yet.

After I was employed and had been working there for a while, one of my teammates who was also on my interview team told me that I actually was their 2nd choice because the other person had experience, but she turned them down. She said we were viewed as equals, though, and she wanted me because I was a male teacher, even though they can't hire based on gender. So boy, did I get lucky! I was offered the job on July 28th, which is really late in the process.

I've been there ever since and love my job. I love 1st grade, and I didn't think I was going to. I can't imagine teaching upper elementary. The only other grade I can see myself in is 2nd.

I'm considering getting my masters, possibly doing a reading teacher program. Not that I want to be a reading teacher, but because a master's degree bumps up my salary. I would choose the reading teacher program, because that's my favorite subject to teach. I love teaching phonics and doing guided reading groups. But we'll see if that happens.

In summary, I'm super happy I didn't go with accounting!

Songbird76

My work history is not as long as some of yours, but here's mine. **Adding this note after I typed the post: This ended up being a really long post for my short work history! 😂**

In high school I originally applied to college with an intent to go into accounting. I liked the accounting class I was in as a senior at the time. But a couple months later, I hated it. So boring. After that, I switched to "undecided". I then decided on education, but wasn't sure which level. I just kind of decided elementary education for no great reason, other than I thought I'd like it. I had never worked with kids before, and I really had no interaction with kids since there weren't any in my family who were young. In my Intro to Education class, we observed classes at all grade levels, and I really gravitated toward the elementary level. I didn't care really at all about the middle and high school classes. So I stuck with it, as I was enjoying my classes, too. Well, my education classes... my gen eds were useless.

It wasn't until my junior year that I got real experience working with kids and actually being a "teacher", when I did my pre-student teaching in a 3rd grade classroom. I loved it. It was crazy to me how attached you can get to the kids in such a short time. I then did my early childhood student teaching the following semester, and that was okay, but not what I wanted to do. That was in a preschool class with 3-5 year olds. Not my cup of tea. Then in my senior year I did my real student teaching in 4th grade for one quarter, which I loved. And kindergarten for the other quarter. I liked that, but I really thought I wanted 3rd grade as my target, but would love 4th, too. I couldn't see myself doing anything under 2nd. So really 2-3 were my targets, with 4th as another option.

My first interview was with the school I was currently student teaching at in kindergarten. I thought I was prepared, but it's impossible to know what a real interview setting is like until you got there. Needless to say, I did not get the job. I applied many more places and got many more interviews, and I had prepared much harder for those interviews since I actually knew what to expect. A handful of the interviews called and said they went with another option. One 2nd grade position said the principal "went out of town without internet, which is why I haven't heard back, but I'm still in the running" (aka their first choice bailed, and they were waiting on their second choice to decide, but didn't want to rule me out as their 3rd option). One place offered me a 1st grade position, but I was in another interview at the time I received the message. I was 2 hours away from home, so I decided to think about it on the way home and call back later. It wasn't my ideal situation... it was literally a school in the middle of nowhere... only fields and bluffs around it. No other buildings. But on the way back home, they called again. I didn't answer because I didn't know what to say, and I was on the road. Well, turns out that call was to tell me that they did not hear back from me, so they went ahead and offered it to someone else who accepted. This was literally no more than an hour after they left me the voice mail. Glad I didn't take that not. Those aren't the type of people I want to work for.

Then the place I was interviewing at when they left the voice mail offered me a 5th grade position. I said I would take the weekend to think about it and see if I could look for a place to live, since it was 2 hours away. I wasn't sold on the place, either, especially moving that far from home. I had two other applications out to a school in my hometown, as well as the place I currently work. I told myself that if I got interviews there, I would turn down the offer and test my luck. Well, I got interviews at both places, so I turned down the offer. This was in the middle of July, so it was getting pretty late in the hiring process, and I was really testing my luck.

I interviewed for 1st grade at my current school (can you guess if I got it?), and then I was called back for a second interview about a week later. They offered me the job (via text... literally), and I accepted right away. I called to cancel a couple other interviews I had lined up, including the one in my hometown that wasn't for another week yet.

After I was employed and had been working there for a while, one of my teammates who was also on my interview team told me that I actually was their 2nd choice because the other person had experience, but she turned them down. She said we were viewed as equals, though, and she wanted me because I was a male teacher, even though they can't hire based on gender. So boy, did I get lucky! I was offered the job on July 28th, which is really late in the process.

I've been there ever since and love my job. I love 1st grade, and I didn't think I was going to. I can't imagine teaching upper elementary. The only other grade I can see myself in is 2nd.

I'm considering getting my masters, possibly doing a reading teacher program. Not that I want to be a reading teacher, but because a master's degree bumps up my salary. I would choose the reading teacher program, because that's my favorite subject to teach. I love teaching phonics and doing guided reading groups. But we'll see if that happens.

In summary, I'm super happy I didn't go with accounting!
That's so great that you ended up loving 1st grade when you didn't really want to do that at first. I LOVED the little kids. With music, it's a lot of playing games and such, so it's like being a kid all day and getting paid for it. Plus, classroom management is SO much easier with the younger ones. They are so much easier to manipulate behavior. Like, if we were playing a game, and the kids were being really noisy, I could just say "Ok...who is being really quiet?" and choose them to be the next for whatever we were doing. Then all of them would get super quiet hoping to be chosen next. And when they had to line up to go back to their classroom, I always did "One potato, two potato, three potato, four, if you are <insert clothing item or something here>, line up at the door." Like "If you have braces" or "if you are wearing blue" or "if you have brothers or sisters. No crazy mad dash for the door where everyone is cutting or pushing. The older kids don't enjoy those things as much. I always used the trick when kids were rowdy, to quietly say "If you can hear my voice, clap once." Only those closest will hear and clap, but the kids around them will hear that clap and then refocus. Then I'd say "If you can hear my voice, clap twice." Every time, more and more kids hear it until they are all paying attention without having to shout, but with the little kids, they are having so much fun, and they really want to behave, so you don't have to use that trick as much. With the older ones, some of them just won't stop talking until you call them out individually, and I really don't like confrontation, so I hated having to do that. I only had one first grader who was regularly disruptive, whereas with the 6th graders, there was a whole group of them. There was one class with ALL the goof-offs and I dreaded that class because you just couldn't get anything done. Nothing worked to get them in line.

It really turned me off of teaching. That, plus the district requirement that 6th graders had to pass this ridiculously long and difficult test in music with stuff I didn't learn until college and that no elementary school child needs to know, and the district requirement that I had to teach them all to play guitar every so many years (the district didn't have enough guitars for every school, so they passed the guitars around to a different school each year. When it was your turn, you had to teach the 6th graders to play guitar.) They are unnecessary requirements and unrealistic. There is no reason that every 6th grader needs to play the guitar. I don't play guitar and I'm supposed to teach them? And that test was 3 pages long double sided, involved naming symbols, knowing composers, and also being able to listen to 20 second clips of music from several periods/genres of music and be able to name them. I had to get 6th graders to recognize things like a Mozart opera by listening to a few seconds of it. And since most of them hated anything but what they heard on the radio, it was really difficult. It just didn't seem like it was worth the effort I was having to put into it. I could see teaching them basic symbols and the names of the notes in the staff, but why did they need to know the circle of fifths?? It's like asking 1st graders to be able to read Jane Austen. It's just so beyond the level they need. Anyway, those things just killed it for me. If I could have only had the lower grades, it would have been perfect. But then I moved here and they don't have music in schools the way we do in the states and I don't know the Dutch terminology anyway.

SteveBrickNJ

I'm at school and the cafeteria staff is playing music. I heard a Taylor Swift song. That made think, hmmmm, she was so popular for years....I'm sure she's not "old" ...yet until today, I haven't heard any of her songs being played recently. What's up with Taylor Swift?

NYwdwfan

I work on different sites in different cities. Depending how long it takes Whitby Phase 3 to open, I may have already been placed somewhere else. I never really considered this “my site” anyway. I was the third person to have worked there since it opened.

I just got off the phone with the Builder. He called me “a one man clean up crew”.

I’m a lousy cook. My kids say I’m a lousy mother. I’m a mediocre housekeeper. But I’m very, very good at my job.

I kind of just fell into it after dropping out of University. I quit University in December, and started the College level Real Estate Course in January; figuring I could work with my mom who was already in the business, until I figured out what I wanted to do with my life. I fell into new homes sales a few years later, and never looked back.

It helps that I love my job.
If your kids say that it's because you're not catering to them - which means you are doing a fabulous job.
Sometimes that's how it happens, when people sort of fall into specific careers, that turn out to be great.

The only part I don't agree with is that you said you're a lousey mother. Nope. Not true. You're a very good mother. :)
Agreed. Most of what kids say is crap.
I'm at school and the cafeteria staff is playing music. I heard a Taylor Swift song. That made think, hmmmm, she was so popular for years....I'm sure she's not "old" ...yet until today, I haven't heard any of her songs being played recently. What's up with Taylor Swift?
She just released a new album or 3. According to Rolling Stone is was the 2020 album of the year. According to Billboard that honor belongs to Post Malone. Different methodology.

SteveBrickNJ

If your kids say that it's because you're not catering to them - which means you are doing a fabulous job.

Agreed. Most of what kids say is crap.

She just released a new album or 3. According to Rolling Stone is was the 2020 album of the year. According to Billboard that honor belongs to Post Malone. Different methodology.
Probably the reason I don't hear her music anymore is because when I travel in my car...I don't select radio stations that would play her stuff.

Mike S

My first thought after seeing this on TV at Burger King was Deep Purple’s “Smoke on the Water.”
Am I a bad person?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@JenniferS , have you ever been to the Quebec Winter Carnival? (I realize that's quite a distance from where you live, but was wondering if you had ever been at some point, down through the years).

It's still listed for February, but I wonder if that will change. Perhaps because it's outdoors, maybe they'll still hold it, but perhaps limit the number of people.

Anyway, what always caught my attention was the open skating in the city. That looks like fun. (I found a stock photo, and there was plenty of room for people to spread out and skate. Bonhomme Carnaval looks like he's having a great time, too! :) )

Actually, I think there is another city up in Canada (maybe Ottawa?) where people skate on frozen canals in their city. :cool:

1610444902987.png

Goofyernmost

@JenniferS , have you ever been to the Quebec Winter Carnival? (I realize that's quite a distance from where you live, but was wondering if you had ever been at some point, down through the years).

It's still listed for February, but I wonder if that will change. Perhaps because it's outdoors, maybe they'll still hold it, but perhaps limit the number of people.

Anyway, what always caught my attention was the open skating in the city. That looks like fun. (I found a stock photo, and there was plenty of room for people to spread out and skate. Bonhomme Carnaval looks like he's having a great time, too! :) )

Actually, I think there is another city up in Canada (maybe Ottawa?) where people skate on frozen canals in their city. :cool:

View attachment 523574
We stayed at the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City for part of our Honeymoon. We got married in January 8, 1972. They were setting up for the Carnival at the time. We went to Montreal at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel for the first part of the trip so we arrived in Quebec City pretty much 49 years ago today. Man it was cold there, but we were "honeymooning" so who cared. We always said we were going to go back, but life got in the way and we never made it back. It was a such a contrast from Montreal, it looked far more European and even though the vast majority there didn't speak English, they made every effort to help communicate. A massive difference from Montreal. It was around the time of the separatist movement in Quebec and speaking English wasn't about to make you popular. They would serve you after all the French speakers were taken care of, than and only than they were willing to take our money.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

View attachment 523574
I’ve never been to Carnaval, but I was in Ottawa during March Break in 1985. I saw the skaters on the Rideau, but I was too busy touring Universities during my short visit, so I never got to skate.

I was 17 and had taken the train by myself to Ottawa, transferring in Toronto. I had enough money to take a cab from the train station to my mom’s friend’s house, but I was too cheap, so I took four separate buses.

We’ve been back to Ottawa many times since, but always in the summer. It’s a beautiful city. Quebec City I went to once in 1981 or 1982; I don’t remember much aside from visiting the Plains of Abraham. Montreal is a foodie’s dream. Spenser goes to Montreal after Christmas with his ex girlfriend every year. Not this past year, of course.

That’s pretty much the theme of 2020/early 2021 ... not this year. 🙁

SteveBrickNJ

I’ve never been to Carnaval, but I was in Ottawa during March Break in 1985. I saw the skaters on the Rideau, but I was too busy touring Universities during my short visit, so I never got to skate.

I was 17 and had taken the train by myself to Ottawa, transferring in Toronto. I had enough money to take a cab from the train station to my mom’s friend’s house, but I was too cheap, so I took four separate buses.

We’ve been back to Ottawa many times since, but always in the summer. It’s a beautiful city. Quebec City I went to once in 1981 or 1982; I don’t remember much aside from visiting the Plains of Abraham. Montreal is a foodie’s dream. Spenser goes to Montreal after Christmas with his ex girlfriend every year. Not this past year, of course.

That’s pretty much the theme of 2020/early 2021 ... not this year. 🙁
Jennifer, if I was more faithful to this thread I probably would know this....but...reading your post in which you made a reference to Montreal....it made me wonder how you would rate your FRENCH on a 1 - 10 scale.
As you know I went to Ottawa but I have the impression that my lack of french speaking ability would be greeted by Montreal residents with a frown.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Jennifer, if I was more faithful to this thread I probably would know this....but...reading your post in which you made a reference to Montreal....it made me wonder how you would rate your FRENCH on a 1 - 10 scale.
As you know I went to Ottawa but I have the impression that my lack of french speaking ability would be greeted by Montreal residents with a frown.
Although, I commented just recently on how we, as English speaking people, were treated, remember that was in 1972 and the climate there was not unlike the climate here right now. But over the 50 years since then that is no longer a problem. One thing you can count on is that the population of Montreal are all bilingual. They have to conduct business with the rest of Canada and the world, so it would not be good for business to stubbornly continue to insist on French. The world doesn't have to bow down to Quebec. That was something that the separatists did not think about during that time. They did gain a lot though and forced a lot of English speaking tyrants (and their money) out of Quebec and they mostly went to Ontario, however, the French speaking folks gained a lot more status and were more free to speak English after the fact. I went to Montreal many, many times (my wife was from Montreal) and in the last three decades, at least, it was never a problem again. My wife was English speaking, but she trained in Nursing in Montreal, there she had to know some basic French to work in the hospitals there. That said, I never heard her speak a word of French the entire 29 years we were married.

NYwdwfan

I’m pretty sure she knows as much as I do (which is basically what I picked up watching Beauty and the Beast).

SteveBrickNJ

Although, I commented just recently on how we, as English speaking people, were treated, remember that was in 1972 and the climate there was not unlike the climate here right now. But over the 50 years since then that is no longer a problem. One thing you can count on is that the population of Montreal are all bilingual. They have to conduct business with the rest of Canada and the world, so it would not be good for business to stubbornly continue to insist on French. The world doesn't have to bow down to Quebec. That was something that the separatists did not think about during that time. They did gain a lot though and forced a lot of English speaking tyrants (and their money) out of Quebec and they mostly went to Ontario, however, the French speaking folks gained a lot more status and were more free to speak English after the fact. I went to Montreal many, many times (my wife was from Montreal) and in the last three decades, at least, it was never a problem again. My wife was English speaking, but she trained in Nursing in Montreal, there she had to know some basic French to work in the hospitals there. That said, I never heard her speak a word of French the entire 29 years we were married.
My parents took me to Montreal when I was around 8 or 9 years old. That would be around the early 1970s like you mention in the opening of your post. I still remember that my parents felt the locals didn't like us very much. I'm glad you took the time to share your insights regarding THEN and NOW. Maybe someday I'll give Montreal another chance ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom