• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Goofyernmost

Animals are active these days around here. A week ago, I was walking along a wooded path and in the distance I saw two (large) cottontail deer. I walked closer toward their area, and they eventually bolted away through the woods.

Yesterday around 9:30 AM, I walked down my street (suburban set-up with houses, etc.); and all of a sudden out of a side road, I saw a dog (not on a leash) run down the road, and cross over mine (he was about 30 feet ahead of me). I stopped for a second, as I wasn't sure if he was friendly or not, but then I quickly realized it was a coyote! I've never seen one on my street before. He ran up to a neighbor's lawn that was elevated about 12 feet up from the street, so he felt safer up there. That was a good sign, that he was afraid of humans. I kept walking down the street and he didn't follow, thank goodness. (They're protected species, and animal control will only remove them if they show aggression or appear sick.) It's not as common to see them in daytime, but it does happen, from what I've read.
Are you sure he wasn't chasing the Road Runner and just stopped to put in an order at Acme? (the place that apparently has everything and delivers anywhere) Did you, by any chance hear something that sounded like "meep - meep"?

396921 396922

Nemo14

Advertisement
Animals are active these days around here. A week ago, I was walking along a wooded path and in the distance I saw two (large) cottontail deer. I walked closer toward their area, and they eventually bolted away through the woods.

Yesterday around 9:30 AM, I walked down my street (suburban set-up with houses, etc.); and all of a sudden out of a side road, I saw a dog (not on a leash) run down the road, and cross over mine (he was about 30 feet ahead of me). I stopped for a second, as I wasn't sure if he was friendly or not, but then I quickly realized it was a coyote! I've never seen one on my street before. He ran up to a neighbor's lawn that was elevated about 12 feet up from the street, so he felt safer up there. That was a good sign, that he was afraid of humans. I kept walking down the street and he didn't follow, thank goodness. (They're protected species, and animal control will only remove them if they show aggression or appear sick.) It's not as common to see them in daytime, but it does happen, from what I've read.
We live in a very residential/business area in walking distance to the airport, and yet I've seen a lot of wildlife here too. I know I've mentioned the osprey nests, but we've seen deer crossing the main (and very busy) street that our street is off of, and we too had a coyote walking down the street several years ago. The other day a fox crossed the road right in front of us in one of the ritzy neighborhoods that we were cutting through on our way to Moe's. And bunnies - they're everywhere!!! My theory is that they plan to take over the world after the next election.

NYwdwfan

We have deer in random places here - there is so much residential construction in wooded areas that they are running out of places to hide. Coyotes scare me. We don’t have them around here but I always hear stories on the news about coyotes attacking pets and people in New Jersey. Yesterday one ate a 96 year old woman’s chihuahua. The interview with the woman was heartbreaking.

MinnieM123

Thelma and Louise have never been outside since I saw the coyote.
Good idea. They go after small animals. Also, yard fences aren't that reliable unless they are sturdy and at least 6 feet tall. Some coyotes can jump 5-7 feet in the air, and be over a fence in no time.

Yesterday, I also quickly glanced around to see if there were any others, just in case. But I knew that they often traveled solo. They live with their "family" (or whatever they call it), but tend to forage for food on their own.

Goofyernmost

Good idea. They go after small animals. Also, yard fences aren't that reliable unless they are sturdy and at least 6 feet tall. Some coyotes can jump 5-7 feet in the air, and be over a fence in no time.

Yesterday, I also quickly glanced around to see if there were any others, just in case. But I knew that they often traveled solo. They live with their "family" (or whatever they call it), but tend to forage for food on their own.
Small Animals? You mean like Minnie Mice? Just for my never ending quest to do public service. A group of Coyotes are called a band. However, I don't know what instruments they play.

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
As I’ve shared, I hear the coyotes in the fields behind us more nights than not. That awful frenzied yipping when they catch something makes my stomach turn.

On the plus side, whenever the farmer gets an annoying new rooster, they don’t seem to last that long.

Mike S

As I’ve shared, I hear the coyotes in the fields behind us more nights than not. That awful frenzied yipping when they catch something makes my stomach turn.

On the plus side, whenever the farmer gets an annoying new rooster, they don’t seem to last that long.
Circle of Life.

Believe me, not having Coyotes would lead to other problems. Every animal has its place and purpose.

JenniferS

Premium Member
Circle of Life.

Believe me, not having Coyotes would lead to other problems. Every animal has its place and purpose.
Agreed. There was a deadly mange in the fox population a number of years ago and the whole north end of the city was over-run with bunnies.

Doesn’t mean I have to like being startled awake though. I have enough problems sleeping. Between the coyotes, Darth Vader outside of my bedroom door, and my bad hip, it’s no wonder I’m so exhausted.

MinnieM123

Mike and I had to go out to get some deli meat and lettuce for the weekend lunches. Then we went to get gas and a car wash.

Around here, we call that date night. 😂
We went to WalMart today and bought a new garbage can. Life is exciting!
We drove to Target and bought a ream of paper for our printer. (Last of the red hot lovers here! :p )

JenniferS

Premium Member
I washed my hair on Friday and removed the 2 litres of styling goop. Since then, I have only had to spritz it with water and very lightly finger comb it. I am back to being pleased with the cut.

It’s a little frizzy, but that’s what happens when you skip the styling products.

Frizz is better than helmet head.

C7C4D537-D85F-4F20-B223-BB78BC262C45.jpeg

NYwdwfan

I washed my hair on Friday and removed the 2 litres of styling goop. Since then, I have only had to spritz it with water and very lightly finger comb it. I am back to being pleased with the cut.

It’s a little frizzy, but that’s what happens when you skip the styling products.

Frizz is better than helmet head.

View attachment 397432
That ain’t frizz - you need to come back to NY in August for frizz!

Top Bottom