June National Week Observances

National Gardening Week – First Full Week
National Fishing and Boating Week – Begins First Full Weekend
National Little League Week – Second Week
National Right of Way Professionals Week – Second full week of June
National Nurse Assistants Week – Second Thursday of the Second Full Week
National Flag Week – Week of June 14
National Play Catch Week – Third Full Week
Men’s Health Week – (Always ends on Father’s Day)
Universal Father’s Week – Third Week
Lightning Safety Awareness Week – Last Full Week

June 1
June 2
June 3
June 4
June 5
June 6

Songbird76

I went to my ex-wife's grave for a few minutes. I felt I had too. My children, I'm ashamed to say, are still mad at her and neither will go to the gravesite. I accepted long ago that my wife's last 20 years were totally under the control of her mental illness. They are still angry because she was not available to help them with questions about their newborns and almost never made the effort to attend the events like birthdays or even remember to send a card. Someday I hope they will be able to accept that she could not control her actions in those years and was in a sad, sad state of mind. When she passed no one was willing to immediately make the commitment to find a final resting place for her. Her urn spent close to two years on top of my youngest daughters knick knack cabinet in their living room. So I volunteered half of my plot in the Military section of the Raleigh's Historic Oakwood Cemetery. I did get them to pitch in with me to pay for a granite ground memorial which was all that was allowed in that section of the Cemetery.

Sorry, this was a downer. I hope you all can tolerate my venting.
I'm so sorry to hear that they still have so much pain about their mom. You know I haven't exactly been quiet about my feelings where my mom was concerned, and the pain it still causes me today. There are a lot of feelings of resentment there and I am trying desperately not to repeat that with my own kids. I do love my mom, and I know she made a lot of sacrifices for my brother and I, so I also have feelings of guilt about my resentment of her and the way she treated me. I guess the best thing you can do is let the girls have their feelings and try to help them remember the good moments with her. I find it hard myself, to remember all the positives because the negatives were more recent and those stick in my mind, so it would be nice for someone to remind me of something particularly funny or kind that happened with my mother. Hopefully your daughters will eventually be able to get past it. I keep praying to be able to forgive my mom, but she's been gone for almost 20 years and I'm still having trouble with it. I hope someday I can reconcile my feelings about it....I hope it doesn't take your daughters as long as it seems to be taking me. It's a lot of pain to be saddled with.

Songbird76

Having just read yours and Goofyernmost's opinions on visiting grave sites, it all comes down to what feels right to you. His experiences and yours were different; hence, different feelings about expressions of loss. I think you're both right, actually.

As for moi, I'd be content to either be buried in a Glad Bag (relieved that it's finally over ;)), or creamated. Neither one of us wants a headstone or anything like that. We both feel strongly about putting that money to better use, such as donating it to help the living -- such as cancer research, church, animal protection agencies, etc.
Did you see the thing about Washington being the first state to open a different kind of facility? Instead of cremation or burial, you can basically be turned into compost.

Songbird76

May 24th

May 25th

May 26th

May 27th

May 28th

May 29th

May 30th

May 31st

JUNE NATIONAL MONTHS
June National Week Observances

National Gardening Week – First Full Week
National Fishing and Boating Week – Begins First Full Weekend
National Little League Week – Second Week
National Right of Way Professionals Week – Second full week of June
National Nurse Assistants Week – Second Thursday of the Second Full Week
National Flag Week – Week of June 14
National Play Catch Week – Third Full Week
Men’s Health Week – (Always ends on Father’s Day)
Universal Father’s Week – Third Week
Lightning Safety Awareness Week – Last Full Week

June 1
June 2
June 3
June 4
June 5
June 6
There is a special day devoted to speaking in sentences? Because the rest of the time we speak in what? Fragments?

Goofyernmost

I'm so sorry to hear that they still have so much pain about their mom. You know I haven't exactly been quiet about my feelings where my mom was concerned, and the pain it still causes me today. There are a lot of feelings of resentment there and I am trying desperately not to repeat that with my own kids. I do love my mom, and I know she made a lot of sacrifices for my brother and I, so I also have feelings of guilt about my resentment of her and the way she treated me. I guess the best thing you can do is let the girls have their feelings and try to help them remember the good moments with her. I find it hard myself, to remember all the positives because the negatives were more recent and those stick in my mind, so it would be nice for someone to remind me of something particularly funny or kind that happened with my mother. Hopefully your daughters will eventually be able to get past it. I keep praying to be able to forgive my mom, but she's been gone for almost 20 years and I'm still having trouble with it. I hope someday I can reconcile my feelings about it....I hope it doesn't take your daughters as long as it seems to be taking me. It's a lot of pain to be saddled with.
I have to admit that I have been conversing more and more about the past. They have both told me about positive things they remember growing up. Even some things that seem negative, like what health food things she pack for school lunches as apposed to their friends. I didn't detect any anger in that, just fact and understanding why. But, as you say, what we remember the clearest is what happened recently not much further back.

I gave a small eulogy at her burial service. It was for two reasons. The one that was the most important was the fact that none of her four grandchildren had ever known her when she was well. Their only memory was when there was anger, upset and distance. I printed out, for them to keep, a photo montage of some of the happy days as a family for them along with a synopsis of her life which was filled with accomplishment and caring. The second reason was still directed to the Grandkids , but, hopefully picked up by my children. Just a reminder that not all was bad and quite frankly, with the words "no one sets out wanting to be that depressed, lonely and deserted".
Did you see the thing about Washington being the first state to open a different kind of facility? Instead of cremation or burial, you can basically be turned into compost.
Your putting me off any food that comes from the State of Washington. Who wants to eat a big old hunk of Grammy Lettuce or Uncle Joe's Ear of Corn! Not me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom