• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

ajrwdwgirl

8th snow day in 4 weeks. This is ridiculous. And our support staff who is paid hourly is not getting paid for these days.
Snow day here too. I feel bad for our support staff too, tough blow to their budgets.

My husband is just finishing the first round of shoveling, I'll help him with the second round. Although he had to stop in the middle of shoveling, he got a call from an elderly church member and their furnace went out. So he is going to see what he can do and take her one of the space heaters from church until she can get someone professional to look at it.

I think I will be making beer cheese soup today, it just feels like a soup day with this snowy weather. I'm trying to have a positive attitude. 😬

Goofyernmost

Advertisement
We watched that one a couple of weeks ago!
I can't watch anything right now, because my TV crossed the Rainbow Bridge into the land of sad and quiet TV's. I went out today and started to look at a replacement and had a reverse sticker shock experience. My old flat screen, (I think was 42") I purchased from Costco in 2008, yea that's right, 11 years ago, at the cost of almost $800.00. It never gave me one problem at all until last night. Just the day before I was watching it and thinking what a great picture it still had and then last night with no warning, it just went black screen and started making a loud buzzing sound. None of the controls worked, neither remote or manual and the only way I could shut it off was to unplug it. The reverse shock happened when I found out that a 50 inch screen of the same manufacturer is now less then $350.00. Heck I could get a 60" curved screen for $500, but, my living room is small and it would feel like everything is life size.

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
I can't watch anything right now, because my TV crossed the Rainbow Bridge into the land of sad and quiet TV's. I went out today and started to look at a replacement and had a reverse sticker shock experience. My old flat screen, (I think was 42") I purchased from Costco in 2008, yea that's right, 11 years ago, at the cost of almost $800.00. It never gave me one problem at all until last night. Just the day before I was watching it and thinking what a great picture it still had and then last night with no warning, it just went black screen and started making a loud buzzing sound. None of the controls worked, neither remote or manual and the only way I could shut it off was to unplug it. The reverse shock happened when I found out that a 50 inch screen of the same manufacturer is now less then $350.00. Heck I could get a 60" curved screen for $500, but, my living room is small and it would feel like everything is life size.
My first real tv was a 19” Sony Trinitron that cost me a thousand bucks - in the late 80’s! 😲

SteveBrickNJ

At least something costs less. That was a nice surprise, huh!?
Every summer I keep hoping the cost of the modern-ish Dyson bladeless fan will go down.
It never does.
The tall one I believe costs $400. That darn company never has a sale. They never back off that price.//Just checked... QVC.com and Walmart.com list it now for $399.99

Last edited:

JenniferS

Premium Member
Every summer I keep hoping the cost of the modern-ish Dyson bladeless fan will go down.
It never does.
The tall one I believe costs $400. That darn company never has a sale. They never back off that price.//Just checked... QVC.com and Walmart.com list it now for $399.99
I just checked amazon.ca. $499.99 here for the same model.

Goofyernmost

My first real tv was a 19” Sony Trinitron that cost me a thousand bucks - in the late 80’s! 😲
Man, they saw you coming! I never paid over $150. for a TV back in those days. They didn't even have remotes back then did they? I didn't need a remote because I had two young children that were there strictly for that purpose, I'm guessing!

MinnieM123

It never does.
I always wanted one of those Dysons, but they're just way out of my economic reach.

MinnieM123

8th snow day in 4 weeks. This is ridiculous. And our support staff who is paid hourly is not getting paid for these days.
Your current winter reminds me a bit of our winter of 2015 -- we may as well have been the North Pole. We had more snowstorms (big ones) that winter into 2016, than I ever remember. Sometimes it was fun, but the problem was that they were just back to back, and there wasn't ample time for even the roads to recover. Posed many challenges--hard for trucks to deliver food to grocery stores, ambulances couldn't maneuver in some unplowed side streets, etc.

For those people in your area that are hourly paid, that must be quite a struggle for them. :(

PUSH

Original Poster
Your current winter reminds me a bit of our winter of 2015 -- we may as well have been the North Pole. We had more snowstorms (big ones) that winter into 2016, than I ever remember. Sometimes it was fun, but the problem was that they were just back to back, and there wasn't ample time for even the roads to recover. Posed many challenges--hard for trucks to deliver food to grocery stores, ambulances couldn't maneuver in some unplowed side streets, etc.

For those people in your area that are hourly paid, that must be quite a blow to them. :(
Was that the last "polar vortex"? We were hit with that one, too.

MinnieM123

Was that the last "polar vortex"? We were hit with that one, too.
I don't recall if was a polar vortex back then or not. Regardless, sometimes wild weather happens without much explanation. I'm always interested in older, historical news clippings about some years when we'd have tons of snow. and then the next 30 were just average, or below average snowfall. Sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason to this stuff.

JenniferS

Premium Member
Man, they saw you coming! I never paid over $150. for a TV back in those days. They didn't even have remotes back then did they? I didn't need a remote because I had two young children that were there strictly for that purpose, I'm guessing!
It was a Trinitron. Best tv on the market at the time. The picture and colour on that thing was beautiful.

And as @MinnieM123 said, it lasted forever. When we got rid of it maybe 5 years ago, it was still working perfectly. Nobody wanted a 19” fatback anymore. 😢

Top Bottom