Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MOXOMUMD

I took my daughter to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday. It's a clean break and the growth plate wasn't affected. She is restricted to no weight-bearing and using a wheelchair until the 17th. Thank goodness her school is totally wheelchair accessible. There are some other special needs students she has helped so at least she's familiar with the elevator use, etc. She took a pic of her "purple cast and brown tootsies". :rolleyes: The color in the pic is off though because the cast is a dark purple.
Tgf3n2.jpg20161101_110656.jpg

NYwdwfan

I took my daughter to the orthopedic surgeon yesterday. It's a clean break and the growth plate wasn't affected. She is restricted to no weight-bearing and using a wheelchair until the 17th. Thank goodness her school is totally wheelchair accessible. There are some other special needs students she has helped so at least she's familiar with the elevator use, etc. She took a pic of her "purple cast and brown tootsies". :rolleyes: The color in the pic is off though because the cast is a dark purple.
View attachment 172683View attachment 172684
Does she get the cast off the 17th as well or she can switch to crutches and partial weight? Is she still in pain? My niece went through a phase where she kept breaking the growth plate in her foot (apparently she has really bendy ligaments and all it took was rolling her ankle and she'd be in a cast) and she had 9 casts in the course of 2 years. They are lined up like a rainbow on her bookcase. Ironically purple is the only color she doesn't have! She had this weird contraption - it was a tube with air holes that attached to the hair dryer on a cool setting and the tube would slide into the cast to blow air in when it got itchy.:hilarious:

MOXOMUMD

Does she get the cast off the 17th as well or she can switch to crutches and partial weight? Is she still in pain? My niece went through a phase where she kept breaking the growth plate in her foot (apparently she has really bendy ligaments and all it took was rolling her ankle and she'd be in a cast) and she had 9 casts in the course of 2 years. They are lined up like a rainbow on her bookcase. Ironically purple is the only color she doesn't have! She had this weird contraption - it was a tube with air holes that attached to the hair dryer on a cool setting and the tube would slide into the cast to blow air in when it got itchy.:hilarious:
She gets that cast off and x-rays on the 17th. If shes good for wright bearing they'll put her in a walking cast to try putting some weight on it. Purple cast with pink stripes this time. She has crutches now but (like her mother :oops: ) is so uncoordinated she can't use them. The wheelchair is easier for school. Starting in 3rd grade here they change classes just like middle/high school so she can just be rolled to each class.

NYwdwfan

She gets that cast off and x-rays on the 17th. If shes good for wright bearing they'll put her in a walking cast to try putting some weight on it. Purple cast with pink stripes this time. She has crutches now but (like her mother :oops: ) is so uncoordinated she can't use them. The wheelchair is easier for school. Starting in 3rd grade here they change classes just like middle/high school so she can just be rolled to each class.
I'm coordinationally challenged myself. (Well apparently THAT'S not a word but it should be!)

They change classes in 3rd grade - that's seems so young! Does she like it better that way? Do the teachers coordinate with each other? Our school district changes classes for 6th grade but the teachers all work as a team so the kids don't have more than one exam on any given day. It was quite an adjustment for my daughter when she started 7th grade to see that some nights she had no homework/exams and other nights she was slammed with work because the teachers all work independently now.

MOXOMUMD

I'm coordinationally challenged myself. (Well apparently THAT'S not a word but it should be!)

They change classes in 3rd grade - that's seems so young! Does she like it better that way? Do the teachers coordinate with each other? Our school district changes classes for 6th grade but the teachers all work as a team so the kids don't have more than one exam on any given day. It was quite an adjustment for my daughter when she started 7th grade to see that some nights she had no homework/exams and other nights she was slammed with work because the teachers all work independently now.
The 3rd grade rooms are all next to each other so the move (as a class) by subject and teachers are always helping. The 4th/5th grades are all on the second floor and they move individually to classes based on their academic ability. In 6th grade they move onto middle school, 9th grade starts high school.

NYwdwfan

The 3rd grade rooms are all next to each other so the move (as a class) by subject and teachers are always helping. The 4th/5th grades are all on the second floor and they move individually to classes based on their academic ability. In 6th grade they move onto middle school, 9th grade starts high school.
That's pretty cool. I think I would have liked that when I was younger. Sometimes it's nice to have a change of scenery!

MOXOMUMD

I am sipping a new herbal tea.
Hubby comes up sniffing, saying, "What smells like Christmas?"

The tea is called sugar plum spice, and it does indeed smell exactly like Christmas.

I will be drinking it every evening for the next few days to plant the subliminal message that it's time for him to hang my Christmas lights.

If he hasn't figured it out on his own, I'll add it to his weekend honey-do list.
Our service dept. was out hanging up the wreaths and garlands in town. It's 74* outside. I'm not complaining. :D

PUSH

Original Poster
I've never seen a school that changes rooms regularly at the 3rd grade level. I've seen 4th/5th do it for subjects, but never any lower.

You said in 4th/5th grade they move based on academic ability... so that means they have the struggling kids in one class and the gifted kids in another?

Lucky

At my public elementary school we switched classes in 1st grade - we had a different teacher for math and maybe something else - and they tracked by ability when I was in 2nd through 4th grades.

MOXOMUMD

I've never seen a school that changes rooms regularly at the 3rd grade level. I've seen 4th/5th do it for subjects, but never any lower.

You said in 4th/5th grade they move based on academic ability... so that means they have the struggling kids in one class and the gifted kids in another?
Yes and yes. Like my daughter is in basic math (because she hates common core) and in excelled science.

Nemo14

The private school where I taught didn't start switching til 6th grade. I really pushed for them to switch earlier because there were some teachers whose math skills were less than stellar, and it took me weeks to undo the damage once I got them in 6th grade.

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
Yes and yes. Like my daughter is in basic math (because she hates common core) and in excelled science.
That's so weird to me, as I'm learning to deal with classrooms of diverse ability levels. I get different classes for different students once they get higher up, but through grade 5 at least I've never seen entirely separate classes for different ability levels. A big focal point of my entire education program has been differentiating in the regular classroom to meet the needs of both struggling students and gifted students, along with the ones in between so that all students remain challenged, but don't hit their frustration levels.

Also, is there a Common Core math class at her school, or did I just misunderstand?

Nemo14

That's so weird to me, as I'm learning to deal with classrooms of diverse ability levels. I get different classes for different students once they get higher up, but through grade 5 at least I've never seen entirely separate classes for different ability levels. A big focal point of my entire education program has been differentiating in the regular classroom to meet the needs of both struggling students and gifted students, along with the ones in between so that all students remain challenged, but don't hit their frustration levels.

Also, is there a Common Core math class at her school, or did I just misunderstand?
I know there's a big push in education (see what I did there?) to do that PUSH, and trust me you'll see that pendulum swing back and forth many times in your career, but in reality that approach generally helps no one. Been there done that.

MOXOMUMD

It's all common core math in our district taught starting K and up. It started here in 2014 and that first year they had a few classes parents could attend to better help with homework. I actually went because the way I was showing her how to do a problem wasn't the proper way for the math class even though it was the correct answer. The process of showing the steps on how she solved the problem were confusing to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom