Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
DISH generally states upfront, around here, that they do not carry local channels.

Bizarre. We've had Direct TV for around 8 years and they've always carried all our channels, local and other (depending upon what package you buy--but always the local channels are included). Not liking what I'm hearing. (We still do have the NBC, CBS and local Fox stations, just not ABC presently.)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Bizarre. We've had Direct TV for around 8 years and they've always carried all our channels, local and other (depending upon what package you buy--but always the local channels are included). Not liking what I'm hearing. (We still do have the NBC, CBS and local Fox stations, just not ABC presently.)
We have two competing cable companies, so we generally have very affordable cable. Perhaps they have locked DISH out of local channels?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
We have two competing cable companies, so we generally have very affordable cable. Perhaps they have locked DISH out of local channels?

Hmmm . . . interesting. All I can say is that something nasty is going on. Up here, we have Direct TV, Dish, RCN, and Xfinity and Comcast, so there's no shortage of providers. The last time we had a big issue was just before a Super Bowl one year (don't remember which one--I don't watch football), but it was fascinating how the tv station managed to settle with Direct TV just a day before that. They knew that subscribers would dump them big time if they blacked out that game. I'm wondering if they're pulling the same stupidity now just before the Summer Olympics.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I'm wondering if they're pulling the same stupidity now just before the Summer Olympics.
Irrespective of the fact that Canada seldom shines at the Summer Olympics, I have never been less interested in any Olympic Games than I am this year.

Truth be told, I am in the unpopular minority that believes it's time to pull the plug on the Olympics altogether. So much corruption and scandal at every level - from the site selection process, to judging, to banned substances. The fact that Russia is being permitted to participate at any level makes me want to throw up.

As to the athletes, if you're doping, you don't deserve to win; and if you're not doping, it's almost impossible to win.

There is a tiny chance I will watch the men's 100m Finals (the Summer equivalent to the Gold Medal Men's Hockey game) and that's it.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Irrespective of the fact that Canada seldom shines at the Summer Olympics, I have never been less interested in any Olympic Games than I am this year.

Truth be told, I am in the unpopular minority that believes it's time to pull the plug on the Olympics altogether. So much corruption and scandal at every level - from the site selection process, to judging, to banned substances. The fact that Russia is being permitted to participate at any level makes me want to throw up.

As to the athletes, if you're doping, you don't deserve to win; and if you're not doping, it's almost impossible to win.

There is a tiny chance I will watch the men's 100m Finals (the Summer equivalent to the Gold Medal Men's Hockey game) and that's it.

They do need to clean up a lot of the carp, that's for sure. But I still love watching the Olympics (I prefer the winter ones, but watch the summer ones as well), because I find it uplifting and the athletes to be inspirational.

The Olympics are somewhat like WDW (for me), in the sense that there's a number of "issues" I have with both of them, but can still enjoy the many other good things happening at the same time. (Sort of a love/hate relationship at times . . . ;) )

acishere

They do need to clean up a lot of the carp, that's for sure. But I still love watching the Olympics (I prefer the winter ones, but watch the summer ones as well), because I find it uplifting and the athletes to be inspirational.

The Olympics are somewhat like WDW (for me), in the sense that there's a number of "issues" I have with both of them, but can still enjoy the many other good things happening at the same time. (Sort of a love/hate relationship at times . . . ;) )
I have the same feelings as you usually. This year all the stories about the issues in Rio have soured the whole thing though. It sounds like the triathlon is going to be very dangerous with all the toxic rivers. Probably safer to swim in Cleveland.

Donillary Crumpton

Yup, it's definitely an allergy day. :(

View attachment 154135
On the plus side, the Jays are one win away from sweeping the Orioles this weekend.
I liked this, not because you are suffering from allergies (the bane of my existence every April down here), but because your Jays are keeping pace for October.

As for the tissues on the couch thing...I have several boxes ready on mine for when Sharknado: The 4th Awakens premieres in 3-hours from now. Every time one of these powerful movie events occur, the emotion for me is overwhelming. The brilliant acting, the storytelling....it all just makes me weep like nobody should be willing to admit. The only problem is the full week of night terrors which usually follows watching one of these films. I just keep reminding myself that I'm lucky to live in a region where the likelihood of one of these disasters occurring is pretty nonexistent. That thought helps to calm the nerves...until I begin to imagine what a Bearnado would be like. :eek:

Nemo14

Regarding Direct TV's dispute with our local ABC Boston station 7, we've been without coverage for about 3 weeks now. I read that some station in Florida is also going through this, and I think I also read something about the DISH company having some contract disputes.

Really hating the satellite/cable companies, but sticking with them for now, until we can get certain, specific networks (i.e. CNN, Fox, Bloomberg, E, Bravo, History and a few others) in an alternative manner (not satellite or cable), with reasonable prices, on our TV. I'd love to junk Direct TV down the road.

So hubby went out and bought a $25 over-the-air antenna so that we could get our local 7 station (which will carry the Rio Olympics). Works fine. It has a 40-mile range. There's occasional, minor digital drop-out on the local newscast, but other than that, it's good. Anyone else using antennas or other methods?

Girl-with-Hand-Raised-2010-112.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom