WHERE Can We Do This Again? PTN taking a trip...

mickEblu

It's one thing to pull from the classics, but don't ever expect to see an Atlantis float. The early 2000s flop period will never get park traction, just like Black Cauldron won't be showing up in Fantasmic any time soon.

I just saw black cauldron for the first time a couple weeks ago and hated it. Makes me wonder what other movies I would hate if the nostalgia of watching when a kid wasn't a factor.

But to be fair the movie just sucks.

mickEblu

Yup, it's a giant stinker. Deservedly relegated to the obscurity bin.

The late 70s through late 80s were a terrible time for Disney animated films. Although not total disasters with the exception of Black Cauldron, The Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, Great Mouse Detective are not very memorable.

I would throw Robin Hood in there too.

brb1006

I would love to see Disney create floats that included classic animated characters that are rarely used. Seem like a lost opportunity by not using many of the older characters. Not only would they have a large following of guests wanting to see the parade but they can tie in together the parade with a whole bunch of merchandise that we would all want to buy.
They should be proud of their film library wether they were huge hits or not.

I have t seen them bring out characters for older movies much if it's not a Princess or even some of the really cool costumes they made for characters of treasure planet and Atlantis. Hey I won't even mind if they brought out characters from Home on the range.
The closest that comes to mind with a Disney Park using Disney characters that are hardly used would be Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights where characters such as Marie,Clarice,Scrooge and Daisy were part of the Small World finale while Panchito and Jose were formerly part of the sun float.

brb1006

Yup, it's a giant stinker. Deservedly relegated to the obscurity bin.
The only time The Black Cauldron got any representation at a Disney Park was at the former Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour in Tokyo Disneyland.
latest

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I would throw Robin Hood in there too.

It was really bad, sort of an awful Jungle Book remake. I think the worst Disney animated film for me might be the Aristocats, which was even more unbearable than The Sword in The Stone. Neither of those films have a single memorable moment that I can think of.

brb1006

It was really bad, sort of an awful Jungle Book remake. I think the worst Disney animated film for me might be the Aristocats, which was even more unbearable than The Sword in The Stone. Neither of those films have a single memorable moment that I can think of.
I don't see the connection to Jungle Book and Robin Hood besides some of the character design.

D

Deleted member 107043

I don't see the connection to Jungle Book and Robin Hood besides some of the character design.

Not just the character design, but the voice actors, the characters themselves, and the overall art direction. Even some of the animation was lifted from The Jungle Book (and a few other films).

Definitely not a high point for Disney Animation.

mickEblu

Ya know that I think of it basically everything from 101 dalamations through the Little Mermaid sucked with the exception of Jungle Book. I put Arisrocats ahead of Sword in the Stone because the songs were better. Both are bad though. Interestingly Sword in the stone was one of my favs as a kid.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

It's one thing to pull from the classics, but don't ever expect to see an Atlantis float. The early 2000s flop period will never get park traction, just like Black Cauldron won't be showing up in Fantasmic any time soon.
I would at least enjoy seeing the characters on parade. Don't necessarily mean I need to see a float. They have some pretty cool costumes for some of those early 2000 movie characters. They have used several of those characters as walk around for special events and International parks

Ismael Flores

I love The Black Cauldron.
I enjoyed it too. Yes it was different than anything else Disney had made but I guess I was intrigued with the story source.
This is one movie that I think would make a great live action movie now that the technology is available for some of the things that they envisioned when the movie came out.

Anyone remember that a couple theaters actually projectors to make the Cauldron king come out of the screen. Pretty much a very old version of halo graphic 3D.
Reminds me of the Disney shirt that Disney attached to a movie a few years back. The shirt had the best use of 3D that Disney used. Not sure why they haven't used it anymore. I remember the cartoon characters walking out of the movie screen and it was so realistic it look like they were walking on a stage in front of you.
Anyone remember the movie short?
I think it was called "Get a horse"

Californian Elitist

I enjoyed it too. Yes it was different than anything else Disney had made but I guess I was intrigued with the story source.
This is one movie that I think would make a great live action movie now that the technology is available for some of the things that they envisioned when the movie came out.

Anyone remember that a couple theaters actually projectors to make the Cauldron king come out of the screen. Pretty much a very old version of halo graphic 3D.
Reminds me of the Disney shirt that Disney attached to a movie a few years back. The shirt had the best use of 3D that Disney used. Not sure why they haven't used it anymore. I remember the cartoon characters walking out of the movie screen and it was so realistic it look like they were walking on a stage in front of you.
Anyone remember the movie short?
I think it was called "Get a horse"

I agree. I think I enjoy it because it's completely different from your typical Disney animated film. The Horned King is also one of my favorite villains.

mickEblu

I agree. I think I enjoy it because it's completely different from your typical Disney animated film. The Horned King is also one of my favorite villains.

I do like that the villain was very dark and not typical of Disney movies. The attraction in Tokyo also looked cool. I guess what I didn't like besides the characters with no depth and the annoying Gurgi, is that I felt like I was watching a story board come to life without any of the intangibles, glue or magic that make great Disney movies. Like " now we escape the castle, now we meet the fairies, now we meet the witches" I can literally see the story board if that makes any sense.

Californian Elitist

I do like that the villain was very dark and not typical of Disney movies. The attraction in Tokyo also looked cool. I guess what I didn't like besides the characters with no depth and the annoying Gurgi, is that I felt like I was watching a story board come to life without any of the intangibles, glue or magic that make great Disney movies. Like " now we escape the castle, now we meet the fairies, now we meet the witches" I can literally see the story board if that makes any sense.

That does make sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom