WHERE Can We Do This Again? PTN taking a trip...

D

Deleted member 107043

Frozen huh? Don't get me wrong I don't hate on it like everyone else. I'd probably put it in the Top 15 somewhere.

Yeah I know that many Park fans hate Frozen (not saying you do), but if I look at it objectively it's a strong Disney animated fillm with memorable characters and award winning songs. It's an easy target for ridicule because it was far more popular than it deserved to be, but for the generation of kids growing up today it will be their Little Mermaid, so I put it in my top 5.

BrianLo

Black Cauldron is a big departure from a lot of Disney's musical fare, but to me is a bit like a mediocre Studio Ghibli film. I see the allure in it being different, but it really isn't that great of a movie.

For Fantasy Adventures it doesn't hold a candle to other studios that work in that genre, the likes of Spirited Away, Kubo and the Two Strings or even Book of Kells for a cultural neighbour to Welsh tales. How to Train your dragon is a good one from Dreamworks, albeit more American GP friendly.

I'd love Disney to delve into another attempt at Dark Fantasy Adventures, but none of the attempts have resonated thus far.... Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, Atlantis... etc.

D.Silentu

The late 70s through late 80s were a terrible time for Disney animated films. Although not total disasters with the exception of Black Cauldron, The Rescuers, Fox and the Hound, Great Mouse Detective are not very memorable.

Beg your pardon, but I have to stick up for The Fox and the Hound here. It's an extremely simple story, but as a coming of age tale it's one of the more mature animated movies Disney has made. I think that says something since they do so many of those stories. It's elevated though, because we get a climax that forces our protagonist to choose if he will fight for his old values or the new. The resolution is bittersweet, not unlike how life can be. I can see how it might feel slow for some and if I did have a chief complaint about it the humor seems incongruent with the movie at large. Still, if I had to pick my favorite animated features, The Fox and the Hound would be high on the list.

mickEblu

Beg your pardon, but I have to stick up for The Fox and the Hound here. It's an extremely simple story, but as a coming of age tale it's one of the more mature animated movies Disney has made. I think that says something since they do so many of those stories. It's elevated though, because we get a climax that forces our protagonist to choose if he will fight for his old values or the new. The resolution is bittersweet, not unlike how life can be. I can see how it might feel slow for some and if I did have a chief complaint about it the humor seems incongruent with the movie at large. Still, if I had to pick my favorite animated features, The Fox and the Hound would be high on the list.

It's definitely one of the brighter points of the dark period I mentioned. I can appreciate your take on it and your points are valid. I still would put the film after everything from Snow White through the early 60s, excluding the package films. I would also put it behind everything in the renaissance and second renaissance. So it would probably be in the middle of the pack somewhere for me.

D

Deleted member 107043

Surprised no one has mentioned The Rescuers Down Under. One of my favorite Disney films and a pioneer in the use of CGI in animated films.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antaundra

I feel like our top 5 animated movies should be their own topic. Anyway it was really hard to limit t to 5 but here's my top 5

Sleeping Beauty
The Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Moanna
Zootopia

But for Paint the Night (to keep this on topic) I'd most like to see an Alice and Wondwrland float.

mickEblu

I feel like our top 5 animated movies should be their own topic. Anyway it was really hard to limit t to 5 but here's my top 5

Sleeping Beauty
The Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Moanna
Zootopia

But for Paint the Night (to keep this on topic) I'd most like to see an Alice and Wondwrland float.

IMG_7534.jpg

I for one salute you and thank you for your sacrifice.

Curious Constance

Black Cauldron is a big departure from a lot of Disney's musical fare, but to me is a bit like a mediocre Studio Ghibli film. I see the allure in it being different, but it really isn't that great of a movie.

For Fantasy Adventures it doesn't hold a candle to other studios that work in that genre, the likes of Spirited Away, Kubo and the Two Strings or even Book of Kells for a cultural neighbour to Welsh tales. How to Train your dragon is a good one from Dreamworks, albeit more American GP friendly.

I'd love Disney to delve into another attempt at Dark Fantasy Adventures, but none of the attempts have resonated thus far.... Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, Atlantis... etc.
Coraline is another great one and one of my favorite movies ever.

Californian Elitist

What else is in your Top 5?

-The Lion King (no Disney movie has topped the masterpiece that is The Lion King)
-Aladdin
-The Rescuers
-Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
-A Goofy Movie/The Sword in the Stone

Peter Pan used to be one of my ultimate favorites, but as I got older and read the original material and really got a good understanding of the story, I started to feel Disney's version to be watered down. I adore the Peter Pan books and the Disney version misses the sad and emotional aspects of the story, in my opinion. Universal's live-action is my favorite adaptation of Peter Pan, by far. Not really looking forward to Disney's upcoming live-action remake, but we'll see.

mickEblu

-The Lion King (no Disney movie has topped the masterpiece that is The Lion King)
-Aladdin
-The Rescuers
-Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
-A Goofy Movie/The Sword in the Stone

Peter Pan used to be one of my ultimate favorites, but as I got older and read the original material and really got a good understanding of the story, I started to feel Disney's version to be watered down. I adore the Peter Pan books and the Disney version misses the sad and emotional aspects of the story, in my opinion. Universal's live-action is my favorite adaptation of Peter Pan, by far. Not really looking forward to Disney's upcoming live-action remake, but we'll see.

We have 3/5 of the same ones. Though with Snow White, I'm wondering how much I'm influenced by how revolutionary the film was.

Goofy movie I don't think is one of the official animated movies or however they categorize them. So if we re not confined to that list Roger Rabbit would have to be in my Top 5

Yeah it's interesting how our taste changes as we age. My Top 5 would have looked very different 15-20 years ago.

I'm surprised I haven't seen Cinderella on any other list.

Are you talking about the live action Peter Pan that came out recently?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom