When your spouse doesn't want to go.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
My wife is suggesting that we don't take our usual December trip this year. With the Osborne Lights being gone, and the fact that we just went in May, she says maybe we should go somewhere else this December. Now, mind you, we go to lots of other places besides Orlando, but I love the whole area in December.

She wants to go to the Keys or Carribean. We went to the Keys a couple of years ago, but I would not mind going back. She has also suggested the Rockies, but neither of us ski anymore. Her other choice is the Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont, as she really loves "The Sound of Music". I don't mind going to any of these places, but I hate to give up our December Disney trip.

Any thoughts?
Ricky

Maria

Originally posted by epcotisbest
My wife is suggesting that we don't take our usual December trip this year. With the Osborne Lights being gone, and the fact that we just went in May, she says maybe we should go somewhere else this December. Now, mind you, we go to lots of other places besides Orlando, but I love the whole area in December.

She wants to go to the Keys or Carribean. We went to the Keys a couple of years ago, but I would not mind going back. She has also suggested the Rockies, but neither of us ski anymore. Her other choice is the Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont, as she really loves "The Sound of Music". I don't mind going to any of these places, but I hate to give up our December Disney trip.

Any thoughts?
Ricky

Aside from a cruise to the Caribbean Islands, her suggestions are not that good, eh? :lol: Tell her she will have to come with better ones to give up Disney in December. Specially that Trapp Family Lodge in Vermont! :hammer:

I would trade Disney in December for let´s see.... Europe, Hawaii, Greece, somewhere very far from me that would make it a once in a lifetime trip, or somewhere with special events going on at that time. :animwink:

Wouldn´t the beaches be cold in December?

Ahh.. the joys of relationships and compromises.. So, she wants the carribean, and you love Disney? How about a Disney cruise!!

I hear the boats are all decorated for the holidays as well!

PeeplMoovr

My suggestion:
Do what your wife says. :lol:

On another note, and just a personal opinion as one who's been to Vermont in December I can only say they should call it the "TrappED" family lodge, 'cause there's a possibility of below zero temps and lots of snow and ice storms up there that time of year that will keep you indoors in your room the whole time. Of course, if that's the whole point going up there *wink wink nudge nudge*, then go for it.
I'd pick the Keys and drink Margaritas and do Disney next December.

Either way I'm sure you'll have a good time.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Originally posted by SorcererMickey
Ahh.. the joys of relationships and compromises.. So, she wants the carribean, and you love Disney? How about a Disney cruise!!

I hear the boats are all decorated for the holidays as well!

That would be the perfect compromise, except we don't do cruises. Did one. Sick the whole time. Could not take enough dramine. I was a green as a granny smith apple the whole trip. Could not eat all that wonderful food, and became really close with a new porcelin friend. Good suggestion though.

Ricky

Well, thats no good.. hmmm. lessee.. You could go camping at the nearest Disney store? Oh.. they'd prolly call security, eh? Well, I hope you come up with somethin.

sorcerermickey

skiwee

Do you have kids or someone you can take with you? My husband can only handle WDW every 5 years or so and I like to go at least twice a year. Since we go on many other vacations together I go without him to WDW. I take our youngest daughter and my mom as they love Disney as much as I do. It works our very well as we get to do what we want and he and our son get to have a couple of weeks at a time without the girls.

tigsmom

Since I'm from NY I vote to go anywhere its warm in December. :lol: We have family in Florida and visit them in the winter...they get to see the grandkids and we get to sit on the beach and warm up. Talking about visiting the Keys this trip down...so that my vote. :wave:

mickhyperion

Originally posted by SorcererMickey
So, she wants the carribean, and you love Disney? How about a Disney cruise!!

I think this is a great idea. Why not spend a few days at WDW for you and then hop on one of the Disney cruise ships for a few days in the Caribbean? You can both get what you want that way.

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.

We talked about it a little last night and she is not adamantly opposed to WDW, just tossing out suggestions for alternatives. It looks like maybe we'll go down to the Keys for a few days, then back up to Orlando, then....over to Crystal River and snorkel with the manatees again (a wonderful adventure). Of course, plans are subject to change at any moment.
Ricky

wdwhoneymooner

After spending 33 years of my life in New England, I can tell you that Vermont in Feb feels like -30 F. Although its very pretty to see after a good snowfall, the best place to view it is from the inside next to a cozy fireplace. If you're there during a blizzard, better extend your vacation plans another 3 days at minimum 'cause "ya ain't movin" :lol:

Perhaps a compromise would be best. Let her have her way now and use it as 'leverage' when it's time to make plans for the next vacation.

Debbie

How about driving to WDW and doing Disney for two days, then Islamorada for three days then a leisurely drive up I-95 for the remainder of your time? There is so much to see in Florida, yet time constraints have prevented my gang from doing the above.
As far as a cruise; I will never step foot on a ship without a supply of transderm patches. I was so seasick (on the Sovereign of the Seas) that I was about to get off in SanJuan and fly home. Luckily my ex-husband ran across someone who had extra.

Maria

I loved Debbie´s plan! Disney can sometimes be too much for me. If you tour around Florida, don´t miss Saint Agustine for a romantic couple of days! Stay in one of those old big houses that are inns now, run by their owners who also live in them. :)

EpcoTim

Divorce. Its all you can do now.

Just kidding......any vacation should be fun, espceially if your with each other.

goofyman

I feel your pain. We are having the same problem in our house. We are DVC members so I came up with a plan to trade it to go to Carib and planned it so we still have enough points for Disney. That was a close call and took a lot of planning. Oh yeah you have not felt COLD until you have been on a Mountain in VT in the winter...Good luck she may come around:hammer:

no2apprentice

Oh, come on! You are the alpha male! The mighty hunter! Protector of the clan! KING OF THE CASTLE!!!!

Stand firm! Plant your feet firmly in the living room, and in your best deep authoritive voice, loudly announce, "While other vacation spots sound good, they pale in comparison to going to WDW at Christmas time. We have started a family tradition, something that can be passed down, from generation to generation. It's WDW or nothing!"

And then, when she comes home later, you say " I'll do whatever you want, dear."

artvandelay

How 'bout Las Vegas? In Vegas you can go to Rome (Caesar's Palace), Venice (The Venetian), Olde England (Excalibur), Egypt (Luxor), Hawaii (Mirage and Mandaly Bay), Monte Carlo (The Monte Carlo), or France (Paris) all in 3 days. It's warm in the daytime, but gets cold at night.

Bagheera

We leave for WDW on October 10, and my wife is already complaining that she feels "Disneyed out." We were down last November and this February. She wants to take a year off. I'm already dreading the withdrawal. As a temporary compromise (I'm still trying to figure out how to get down there next year), we've agreed to use our DVC points to stay at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort next June with some friends from Virginia. (We'll probably fly into Savannah & drive up, they'll probably drive down.) If I can either convince her to do a Disney cruise or a short trip to WDW in the fall, I'll be happy. Either that, or have her let me go on a "guys only" trip for my 40th birthday in April or early May. We'll see....

epcotisbest

Original Poster
Originally posted by no2apprentice
Oh, come on! You are the alpha male! The mighty hunter! Protector of the clan! KING OF THE CASTLE!!!!

Stand firm! Plant your feet firmly in the living room, and in your best deep authoritive voice, loudly announce, "While other vacation spots sound good, they pale in comparison to going to WDW at Christmas time. We have started a family tradition, something that can be passed down, from generation to generation. It's WDW or nothing!"

And then, when she comes home later, you say " I'll do whatever you want, dear."

So funny!

Actually, after 21 years, we get along amazingly well. We always try to compromise on things to do, places to go etc...we don't have children (ok, my wife has one....he's 43...me), so that is not a factor in our planning.

Did Vegas once...and once was plenty. Enjoyed it fine, especially liked all the lights, food, Blue Man Group, the Stratosphere and staying at Ceasar's Palace...talk about themeing, wow.

Ok, we have ruled out Vermont in Winter. Maybe spring or fall some year.

This quote from Epco Tim seems to sum things up for us pretty well..."any vacation should be fun, espceially if you're with each other."

Debbie's suggestion is pretty good. We may go down the gulf coast, Crystal River for the manatees, then down to Sanibel-Captiva for the beautiful beaches and shelling, on over to Key Largo for some snorkeling (don't dive anymore after rupturing an eardrum at 90ft deep inside a spring cavern), then back up to see the mouse and whale. We have 9 days, so we should be able to squeeze that all in. With possibly a stop in St. Augustine thrown in on the way home. Lots of miles on the Buick, but so what? Might even stop in Savannah and try to get in "The Lady and Sons" resturant, as we went down there a couple of weeks ago on our 21st. anniversary and did not have a reservation and could not get in.

Thanks everyone. As this is not set in stone, we are open for more suggestions. One thing seems certain to me and that is I don't think I will ever be "Disneyed out". There is so much to do and love, including US, IOA, and SW, plus all the shopping outlets in the area. In fact, I want to move down there some day. Of course, I'm guessing if everyone who thinks they would like to live at Celebration actually lived there it would get way crowded, and lose its charm.
Ricky

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom