When was your first trip?

Ariel

Original Poster
Hi all! Just wondering when your first trip to the world was? And I'm curious as to why you keep going back? What was it about your first trip that had you thinking "I'll be back again, and again, and again...." ? Was it something special that happened, some particular detail, or simply the magic of the whole place?

DisneyFreak

My first trip was way back in 1979 when I was 8 years old. We drove down from Chicago with my parents, sister and two grandparents in the Suburban. We stayed at the Polynesian and we all loved it! At that time there where only 7 buildings and we were there 3 nights and got 2 extra nights. We then tried to get back in 1982 for the Epcot opening but everything was already booked so we went back in 1983. We made reservations for 5 nights and ended up staying 8 nights. After that we decided to go down everyother year for 10 nights and we always stayed at the Poly and we always made the reservations the day we left the current trip. It kind of made the last day feel a little better because we knew we already had the reservations to come back. Our last family trip before I moved out of the nest was in 1993 and at that point my parents joined the Vacation Club and I have been back there at least once a year since.

We kept going because we always had a great time! Every year we drove, went to the Hoop Dee Doo and there was always something new and exciting. My best memories of my childhood are those vacations to Disney World.

Nut4Disney

My first trip was also in 1978, I was 7 yrs old. We drove down from Ky. in the station wagon and stayed with our friends in Orlando. At the time I wasn't really in to Disney, and to be honest I thought the MK left much to be desired, I was more impressed with Sea World. Anyway, I returned again with my friend and his family when I was 14 and I became hooked, and have gone back every year since. (I've even went by myself a few times) My wife and I just honeymooned there last Oct. and we are currently planning our trip for this year. There is a special kind of magic that I really can't explain that keeps me coming back, and you can only find it at Disney.

The Mom

Premium Member
My first trip was in 1982 for the EPCOT opening. I was just so impressed at how clean everything was, and how nice the CMS were. I keep going back 3-4 times/year because there are always changes, both good & bad, but overall WDW is worth the trip.

WDW-Imagineer

My first trip was in 1986 when I was 2 years old. The only thing I remember about the entire trip was the pirate with the pigs in POC. That's it. We went in August, so my mom has told me about how hot & humid it was. We also stayed off-site, our final off-site visit.

jazcatsnh

My first trip was in 1972 (february) right after they opened when I was 4 years old. My wife also went in 1972 but later that year. What I remember from photos is the Contemporary and its a small world.

Tramp

I went in 1861...just as the civil war broke out...I remember Abe Lincoln came thru our town and someone yelled out to him..."Hey Abe, now that you won the Presidency, whataya gonna do next?" "Going to DisneyWorld" was his inspirational reply...the rest is history.;););)

(actually it was 1977. Having my head screwed on incorrectly after the Viet Nam war...the Magic of Disney was a very calming and influential force in my life....we stayed off property at the Sheraton Olympic Villas over near the tourist traps on International Drive, rented a sub, sub, sub compact car with no air conditioning, and spent two full days of 17.5 hours each at the Magic Kingdom...remember they closed at 1 am back then.)
(my head was never fixed):):):):):):)

kenzo

First Trip

First Trip was 1989.MGM just open the gates.
And Universal was far away.
We spend all the time,and money at the wonderfull
Disneyworld wich was clean,smooth and piecefull.
No closed attractions,reduced Operating times,
or other funny things happend now.

Piglet

My first was in 1995, when I went with my then boyfriend (now husband). He had been 3 times before and knew all the best things to do, the best sights, places to eat etc. I'd always wanted to go, and as soon as I saw the Castle at MK from the ferry across seven seas lagoon, I knew I would go back many more times. I have vacationed in other places, but I always end up comparing the times there with those I have at Disney.

People ask me why I keep going back (people that have never been before) and I find it difficult to put into words why - you can't understand until you've been.

Disneynut

My first trip was Thanksgiving 1978. We stayed at the Poly and had a wonderful time. I didn't really fall in love with Disney until a moved to Florida in 1992. Since leaving FL, I try to make it to WDW at least once a year.

sillyspook13

My first trip was in 1985. I don't remember it at all because I was an infant. I do know that every year when I was little, my family would stay at Caribbean Beach.

Disney Maniac

My first trip was in 1985. I wasn't even a year old, and my parents took me down for ten days, not expecting too much since I was their first kid and so young. I really don't remember much except that I sat up front in the monorail for the first time. It was also the first and only time I threw up on the monorail.:D :D

Debbie

My first trip was in 1976. I was 12 years old and we stayed at the Days Inn on U.S.192. I remember riding along the turnpike and being amazed at the citrus groves. What I most remember was that you bought ticket books and of course my parent bought the cheapest one. If You Had Wings was free as well as the Carousel of Progress. So when I went back with my nanny and pa'ran in 1981, we stayed 7 days and all there was was MK. But I had time to enjoy the resort (Contemporary) and all that goes with it. I vowed that I would treat myself to this every year as long as I could afford it. Alot of people think I am nuts for going so often. They just don't know what they're missing!

DisneyFreak

Originally posted by Debbie
[BAlot of people think I am nuts for going so often. They just don't know what they're missing! [/B]

Not me Debbie. I know how you feel and I wish I could go more often. I've been there 15 times since 1979 and since my parents and sister have become DVC members my wife and I get there about once a year. Our last trip was July 2000 and we don't have another one in sight until Nov/Dec 2002. I'm going through withdrawal!!! :(

MouseRight

May 1977 - Honeymoon. Stayed at the Polynesian - What a place!! We still have the souveniers from that trip. Magic Kingdom was terrific the first time. What a way to start a life together - 24 years and counting.

Although we thought about it all the time, circumstances and money kept us away for awile. Next trip was about 10 years later when our oldest 2 children were 3 and 4 years old. What a trip. I had been working real hard and misssed too much of my kids life. We bonded that week in MK and EPCOT - My son attached himself to the right sie of my body and didn't let go the whole time. Ever since then we have been back often and now we live in Florida and go whnever we get a chance to. I also changed my priorities after that trip and tried hard not to let work get in the way of my life!! We bought the whole deal - DVC Members, Disney Classics Collection, etc. etc. Friends and family think we are nuts - that is until they are invited to stay for free at the vacation club!!

It's like no other place in the world!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom