When Was This Playground Taken Out?

TheBeatles

Original Poster
First off, this picture comes from Walt Dated World.
Second, this is from the Disney Village.

72649a30.jpg

Horizons1

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say somewhere around 1995/1996. I think that playground sat near to where the World of Disney is today. Man, do I miss that thing. I have the fondest memories of running around and playing in it while waiting for my brother's middle school band to perform. There were also these bubble fountains to the right of the playground. They were all sorts of different colors. Good times, good times.

And speaking of playgrounds, anyone remember the one in Mickey's Starland? One friggin-awesome playground.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Actually, the building behind looks like where Earl of Sandwich is now. Maybe not but that's what I thought of when I first looked at it. So this park would be where the pin trading station is now.

Captain Hank

Actually, the building behind looks like where Earl of Sandwich is now. Maybe not but that's what I thought of when I first looked at it. So this park would be where the pin trading station is now.
That's what I was thinking. It looks like the Sun Trust building in the background.

the-reason14

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say somewhere around 1995/1996. I think that playground sat near to where the World of Disney is today. Man, do I miss that thing. I have the fondest memories of running around and playing in it while waiting for my brother's middle school band to perform. There were also these bubble fountains to the right of the playground. They were all sorts of different colors. Good times, good times.

And speaking of playgrounds, anyone remember the one in Mickey's Starland? One friggin-awesome playground.

OMG yes, I barely remember that. For some reason those tunnels and tubes seemed to be way better then the ones at chuck e cheese and the now gone discovery zone. Anyone got pics of the starland playground, cuz I would love to see the old schoolness.

jedimaster1227

I strongly remember playing on that playground as well as in the jumping fountains years ago. The Disney Marketplace still feels empty to me without that play place towering over the courtyard... :cry:

maggiegrace1

It is right in front of where the Earl Of Sandwich is..where the Market Pantry was..I LOVED the Market Pantry and the jumping fountains...though I never played in them.

:(

Pioneer Hall

I remember playing on that playset...memories. It was right near where WoD and Ghiradelli's are. They put in that kaleidescope after they took the play area out and now nothing sits there.

Figment82

I miss the kaleidoscope almost as much as the playground. That thing was spectacular - I could have watched it for hours. The rumor I heard was that it was so badly damaged by hurricanes it was taken out - does anyone know the true reason? The small planters and benches are hardly a fair comparison.

VoiceGuy07

Really liked the kaleidoscope! I think we were there a few months before it was removed but don't remember any damage. Again, could be losing it. :p

Rob562

OK, I've found it in an old photo. If anyone has the old "Walt Disney World: A Pictorial Souvenir" from the mid-80's, go to the aerial photo on page 62. You can see the playground on the left-hand side along the water.

It appears to have been almost exactly where the kaleidescope was located, between World of Disney and Ghiradelli. So I assume the playground was removed when the kaleidescope was installed.

-Rob

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I want to say it was there as late as 1995 or so. I played on that thing so many times when I was little. When it turned into Downtown Disney in 1996 is when it disappeared I believe. I will have to dig through some old pictures and see if I have anything of it. That was one of the usual spots my mom took my picture on every trip.

Rabflmom

I miss the kaleidoscope almost as much as the playground. That thing was spectacular - I could have watched it for hours. The rumor I heard was that it was so badly damaged by hurricanes it was taken out - does anyone know the true reason? The small planters and benches are hardly a fair comparison.
>>>>>

The playground was a wooden structure and they all came down in Florida because of the preservative used on them. We had some huge all-children playgrounds that cost $100,000s that all came down at the same time. It left our schools with some horrible empty areas for a long time. My kids loved those huge wooden playgrounds.

Kamikaze

>>>>>

The playground was a wooden structure and they all came down in Florida because of the preservative used on them. We had some huge all-children playgrounds that cost $100,000s that all came down at the same time. It left our schools with some horrible empty areas for a long time. My kids loved those huge wooden playgrounds.

He was asking why the kaleidoscope was taken down, not the playground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom