When is the best time to go?

Silverfang

Hello! First of all, I'm new to this forum, but everyone here seems very nice and helpful.

My question is what time of the year is a good time to go to the parks? Unfortunately the only time that I would be able to go would be during one of the school breaks, like summer or christmas. I'd figure christmas break would be better because the weather is better, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

tribals

Most major holidays would be busy.....especially Christmas I would think. We went the end of September into October 2010 and it was not too bad. We were there for the start of the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and they got pretty busy then.

Next year we plan to go early May and I heard that was a good time to go.

Upvote 0

Jeff456

Im not sure what US school break dates are but I'll tell you about the times I have been. October has always been the best for us, parks quiet and the weather has been great. February was ok (but we went during President's week which I wasn't aware of) crowds were moderate, but it felt cold at times. Finally I've been in August, more specifically the second half, the heat felt oppressive, but with planning we didn't queue for very long for anything, I think the first half of August is much busier. If you can go in Ovtober, but the second half of August is also ok if the heat doesn't bother you to much. Good luck planning your trip!

Upvote 0

disneynut4u

LOVE going in October, just avoid the weekend that the PGA golf tournament is there. The weather was mild, slightly cool in the mornings & evenings, but after 9:00 or 10:00, we didn't need any jackets.

We also went the 3rd week of December and the crowds were light until it got to be about the 22nd when the Christmas crowds started showing up. The first week or so of December is great with low crowds. We were not uncomfortable with the temperature. Nights were very cool, especially if you are sitting in one spot, near water, waiting for shows. Decorations and Christmas festivities are awesome!!

We have also been the 3rd week of May 16 - 21. For the most part, it was ok. Crowds were fine, not heavy at all. But it got HOT!! I can't imagine going in summer!! I LOVED going into shops that had those cool air blowers in the doorways! May also has the Flower & Garden Festival at EPCOt and it is beautiful.

Upvote 0

cynic710

like every year we go, we are going this year in the beginning of november (9-16)...

pros:

christmas decorations are up.

surprisingly low crowds

fair weather (warm enough for water rides, cool enough not to sweat 20 pounds off)

cons:

NONE!

Upvote 0

JustInTime

as poster said above, mid November is the best time to go. I have been during all 4 seasons and over 7 times now. Last year we went mid-november and it was stunning. September is nice too.

Upvote 0

Silverfang

Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback. The only real issue is trying to fit this around two school schedules, but I have a year to plan it out.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hello! First of all, I'm new to this forum, but everyone here seems very nice and helpful.

My question is what time of the year is a good time to go to the parks? Unfortunately the only time that I would be able to go would be during one of the school breaks, like summer or christmas. I'd figure christmas break would be better because the weather is better, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

I would choose Christmas over Easter or Summer. However, if you have a fall break of any kind (some districts have Columbus Day off and some for the Jewish holidays) in October, then I would recommend going then.

Upvote 0

SCDisneyfanatic

I have been throughout the year and can tell you that October is one of the best times to go.

However, since your options are limited due to school age children, I would suggest the 2nd week of June. If you look at the historical data, there are some less busy days during that time frame (although any days when school is out are busy to a degree).

Christmas time is great, but unless you can go the 1st 2 weeks of December the crowds will be a nightmare. Easter time is just as crazy.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

How about a long weekend over Columbus Day? Crowds will of course be higher during holidays, but you said you need to go during school breaks and that's a really nice time of year to visit the parks. Nice weather, low crowds, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, and the Epcot Food & Wine Festival. Perfect.

Upvote 0

coltow

I hear you about you have to go around school schedules. In Massachusetts schools don't begin until after Labor Day for the most part. We have found that going the last week in August is a good time. It is still super hot, but because southern schools have just gone back the crowds aren't that bad. We have decided to go in October 2012 and just have the kids miss a few days of school. My kids will be in 3rd grade & kindergarten so I figure it's not a big deal for them to miss 4 days

I would never go at Christmas break because the crowds are insane. Ask yourself this, would you mind waiting an hour for Small World?

Upvote 0

Silverfang

Original Poster
The only problem with going over a weekend was that our plan was to stay for 5 days. We'd figured that Christmas break would be our best bet because at least the weather would be nice.

Upvote 0

Poofiesdream

It is very hot but I would suggest the end of August. School in Fl start the 2d week of August so that cuts down on the crowd.People are also getting ready for school to start else where so attendance is lower. The also get out of school the 2d week of May. August is rainy season and hurricane season but don't let that bother you. It rains pretty much every day around 3pm but only for a very short time . We haven't had a hurricane in over 5 years. Disney is inland and by the time a storm got there it would be pretty weak,like a bad rain storm for you at most. Anything else would be rare. I live in South Florida and my hurricane plan if I have to evacuate is to go to Disney. Going in Dec can be cold. Last year we went the 2d week in Dec and daytime temps were in the 30's and 40's.

Upvote 0

Hot4Hudgens

like every year we go, we are going this year in the beginning of november (9-16)...

pros:

christmas decorations are up.

surprisingly low crowds

fair weather (warm enough for water rides, cool enough not to sweat 20 pounds off)

cons:

NONE!

This!

I've been 20+ times, half of those times being in this time window for these very reasons.

Upvote 0

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If I was you I would go as soon as school is out in December and get my five days in before Christmas crowds start pouring in. I have been during this time and find less wait for rides. The parks are all ready for Christmas.

Upvote 0

DSNY MJK

Both my wife and I are teachers...We always go right at the beginning of summer break...We know that it's going to be hot but,,,IT'S DISNEY...We have never been overheated...A lot of rides inside or undercover...Some have misting fans...Disney trys to make you as comfortable as possible...Also you can always go back to the resort to cool down a little in the afternoon...Especially with late magic hours...Early June is not to bad, last year (2010) we only had one wait over 20-25 minutes...We have been at Christmas...It is very beautiful, but extremely crowded...Thats the best I can tell you...Let me know if you have any further questions !!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom