When is Spaceship Earth Supposed to Be Replaced?

jmuboy

As EPCOT moves forward, I would love to see SSE get a cleaning and updated ending, a little more magic (ie - less dark/dead space) inside JIYIwF.

Maybe after these changes we can get to work on WoL.

And how about those seacabs.......all though I worry that SeaBaseAlpha is in danger of becoming an underwater toontown with all the cartoon characters being added recently.

No Spaceship Earth No WDW Vacation

I cannot imagine going to Epcot and not riding Spaceship Earth. I know I would be heart broken if it was closed for refurbishment. :cry: I would not schedule a trip to WDW if Spaceship Earth was down for rehab (unless it was free). I first visited WDW in 1985 when I was 8 years old, and to me Epcot is Disney World, not the Magic Kingdom. I would love to see an update at the end of Spaceship Earth, maybe with VoIP or wireless LAN showcased somehow. I think ominmover cars could stand to be replaced with new omnimover cars, but methinks that would cost quite a pretty penny. :D
I also really miss the Communicore and all those big groovy touchscreens, I do realize they no longer jive with the future theme, but they are making flat panel touch screens now. :cool:

Lynx04

sully96 said:
E P C O T still means " Environmental Prototype Community Of Tommorrow " & they should stay along that path.

When I went in the late 80's World of Motion showcased cars of the "Future", I think it was a Ford Probe, which now looks "boxy" by todays standards. I think they need to keep reaching & exploring, not build thrill rides, Test Track is exempt (it's educational too)

No matter what they do in EPCOT today, it will never match the difference between what EPCOT was suppose to be when concieved and what it became when it first opened.

I think EPCOT still stays true to the fun but educational concept.

Lynx04

Corrus said:
Which means as much as??

My point being, if they didn't stay true to what the original idea of what EPCOT was suppose to be, why would they stay true to what the original concept of what it was when it opened. They will change the park to meet the current needs that they have. If that means adding a thrill ride then that what they will do.

RedBaron

cowboibabyy said:
Don't want everyone to yell at me but...I hope they leave SSE like it is, updates and refurbishments would be fine...actually the end of the ride(the future) is not that futuristic anymore so an update there would be great. One of my fondest Disney memories is the first time I took my elderly parents to epcot and rode SSE with them. To them it was the hightlight of the trip, well that and TGMR at MGM.
I will not yell at all as I agree with you totally. Hope some minor updates occur but nothing to "change" the ride.

RSoxNo1

They have changed Epcot to increase capacity and demand for the park. As much as many of us love the older attractions, many new disney guests found them boring. It's quite difficult to make something entertaining and educational and 15-20 years ago, Horizons and World of Motion fit that bill. They fell by the wayside b/c the demand for these educational omnimovers wasn't that high. Their replacements, two different ride systems kept similiar ideas (although more loosely linked with Mission: Space) than the attractions they replaced. However, both new pavillions are educational, even if many of us expected more out of the Mission: Space post show.

How does all of this relate to SSE? My speculation is that rumors of it's deconstruction for a new ride mechanism were similiar to why WoM and Horizons were replaced. That type of educational ride has grown tired. There isn't much innovation in SSE since they introduced the, "Rotating your car backwards technology" when the attraction originally opened. My guess is a serious study of new guests ride Spaceship Earth because the ball itself has become a global monument of sorts. What is inclosed in this "monument" is secondary to many guests whereas as the novelty of riding in the giant silver ball is primary.

That all being said, I don't doubt renovations will aim to rectify this - more modern animatronics, improved scene story telling, (I'm still miffed that they don't mention Michelangelo anymore), an improved ending and a better global neighborhood would and should be welcomed by newbies and purists alike.

Finally, it has been mentioned that Ping is the new sponsor for this pavilliion is this true?

PaisleyMF

Wasn't Microsoft in talks to be the new sponsor of SSE. Now Apple Computers would be a great sponsor, placing iMacs G5's with iSights to talk to anyone in the world, with stations to hook iPods and download music and sound bytes from the Archives. (just for the looks, more that the users). But then again competing against HP, and now have HP also sponsor, and till have the iPod stations.

Disneyfan1981

I love SSE and hope they never completely replace it because it is the ICON of EPCOT. I think though if any park should constantly be changing and going through new versions of itself it is EPCOT so they should constantly be updating the technological aspect and the visual aspect within the rides not the whole thing itself.

RSoxNo1

I was watching Roseanne last night/this morning and in it, it said that SSE weighed 11 million pounds. Somehow that doesn't seem right.. anyone have any info on this?

frank4369

RSoxNo1 said:
I was watching Roseanne last night/this morning and in it, it said that SSE weighed 11 million pounds. Somehow that doesn't seem right.. anyone have any info on this?

I think they were talking about Roseanne.

Dayma

All they need to do for the end is add some computers hooked over the internet that would show "live" videos of other people across the world on Disney rides.....They would see you while in Tokyo,DL,Euro Disney....while you are on SSE. They jsut need to revamp the end a tad and repaint a little.

Tom

Beta Return
sully96 said:
E P C O T still means " Environmental Prototype Community Of Tommorrow " & they should stay along that path.

When I went in the late 80's World of Motion showcased cars of the "Future", I think it was a Ford Probe, which now looks "boxy" by todays standards. I think they need to keep reaching & exploring, not build thrill rides, Test Track is exempt (it's educational too)

I'm surprised nobody has corrected this, unless I missed something....

It's Experimental, not Environmental

GenerationX

blackride said:
All they need to do for the end is add some computers hooked over the internet that would show "live" videos of other people across the world on Disney rides.....They would see you while in Tokyo,DL,Euro Disney....while you are on SSE.
Cool idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom